My kids are complaining about apps and it looks I have to move away from Blackberry, I really wanted to see that blackberry give us a new android runtime.

Kids and I wanting netflix, spotify and apps.

Get us an update blackberry

Posted via CB10
    Kurdis Blough likes this.
    01-03-15 08:04 PM
    PlayBook is dead. Support is stopped. Probably even the new BlackBerry team don't know what a PlayBook is! :P
    I love my PlayBook though, will continue using it, till it breaks or something or till I buy a Jolla Tablet!

Posted via Q10
    01-03-15 08:18 PM
    If update the runtime would be easy we could install it from the BlackBerry 10.2.1, but the runtime uses an specific functions of the OS, and BlackBerry should update OS and runtime.

I dream too with a PlayBook 10.3 update or any update with new features, but it's very probably never happens...

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 08:32 PM
    I don't care about OS 10 (i love it) on my playbook but I like to use more apps and I think it's easy for BlackBerry to get there android runtime updated.
    01-04-15 05:13 AM
    I don't care about OS 10 (i love it) on my playbook but I like to use more apps and I think it's easy for BlackBerry to get there android runtime updated.
    Development is expensive. There's no reason to update an old tablet if it is no longer selling, and probably no longer in production. There is no reason they would do it other than to make their users happy, which is something they don't seem to particularly care about.
    extisis likes this.
    01-04-15 06:06 AM
    customer service is key though when the products fail to sell it is usually because they aren't listening and go off on their own thing.

the playbook is dead for blackberry but if they could licence the OS with android 4.4 then it could revive and improve millions of tablets running the same spec.

the playbook is no longer cutting edge but it has the same specs as most entry level android tablets running android 4 but with much better build quality and some decent accessories. IMO blackberry should have churned them out as standard android tablets to recoup some of their losses and compete with the likes of the hudl

I've been upcycling tegra note 7s off ebay to use as its probably the fastest thing out there but still like the playbook with a ballistics or otterbox tough case.

Android 4.4 os okay I guess as you have a dearth of apps but the lack of multitasking is a pain when you are used to the playbook.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    01-28-15 08:00 AM
    Who are you talking to? PlayBook is no longer supported. It's four years old.

Just go buy a tablet that runs android if you want it so bad. You can get them for dirt cheap these days.

Powered by Z30
    01-29-15 04:46 PM
    PlayBook is dead, you got screwed get over it Just throw it out and buy an android or apple tablet

Posted via CB10
    01-30-15 02:52 PM
    has anybody actually tried loading the runtime from an autoloader? not the full autoloader, just the two runtime bars.
    03-17-15 11:58 PM
    I don't think that it would work because I'm sure there are system calls that wouldn't go anywhere with the Playbook. It would be the same as pulling the .exe file for a windows program that you like in windows 8 and putting it on windows XP. It would immediately crash when the dependencies aren't found.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 01:43 PM
    tragic as it is it appears BB is just slapping a layer onto samsung tablets instead.
    03-20-15 04:27 PM
    You can't just load the runtime from BB10. First it is set up to require a minimum OS beyond what PB offers just to install. If you tried to change this in the appropriate xml file, you would have to sign it again. You don't have BlackBerry's signing keys so the result would not work properly even if it would run at all. Which it won't because it depends on things (libraries, system calls) that aren't there.

The only way any advances in running Android apps on PlayBook are going to happen is if someone starts from scratch and makes their own runtime, similar to WebOS and OpenMobile ACL. Don't hold your breath on that happening because no company is going to see the kind of ROI needed to justify the costs of development and I don't see any private individuals caring enough to do it in their spare time. If it DID happen, expect limitations as it would likely need to be a self-contained virtual machine and would be subject to the same restrictions any other app faces while running under Tablet OS 2.1.

When dealing with Android on Tablet OS through BlackBerry 10.2.0 it is important to remember that the Android Runtime was not there so much for the benefit of the end user, although it IS beneficial, but as a tool for developers to help them bring their software to the platform without spending too much time doing so. The PlayBook version of the runtime is useful for those who have already written an Android app in Java only, or for those who wish to use Java as the language of their choice.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 09:16 AM
    Hi
    Will someone contact BB Tech support and ask if they'll be releasing a Browser update for the latest vulnerabilities?
    On the whats it call a "Playbook" LOL

Anyone ever figured out how to do a SOCKS proxy to create a reverse ency Tunnel on the Playbook ?
    I have the paid version of Putty, all works good, but only see a option for HTTP proxy.
    03-29-15 01:47 PM
    Hi
    Will someone contact BB Tech support and ask if they'll be releasing a Browser update for the latest vulnerabilities?
    On the whats it call a "Playbook" LOL

Anyone ever figured out how to do a SOCKS proxy to create a reverse ency Tunnel on the Playbook ?
    I have the paid version of Putty, all works good, but only see a option for HTTP proxy.
    Re: vulnerabilities -- already did so and posted on this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ybook-1006654/
    03-30-15 07:34 AM
    customer service is key though when the products fail to sell it is usually because they aren't listening and go off on their own thing.

the playbook is dead for blackberry but if they could licence the OS with android 4.4 then it could revive and improve millions of tablets running the same spec.

the playbook is no longer cutting edge but it has the same specs as most entry level android tablets running android 4 but with much better build quality and some decent accessories. IMO blackberry should have churned them out as standard android tablets to recoup some of their losses and compete with the likes of the hudl

I've been upcycling tegra note 7s off ebay to use as its probably the fastest thing out there but still like the playbook with a ballistics or otterbox tough case.

Android 4.4 os okay I guess as you have a dearth of apps but the lack of multitasking is a pain when you are used to the playbook.
    Dom you sound exactly like me except you just introduced me to the TEGRA as I love my PB but also need my OTTERBOX!!! Hey, was wondering, if I only am really using my PB for when I am at my desk to get my text and text on it while home as in my sms messages, also for QUORA (Can not use app though) but origami works well still for allot including quora, is it worth it to get a tegra still and can a tegra actually sync with my blackberry text sms messages, prob not? If not my PB still is better for my uses, if it does and can do that then maybe I need a TEGRA.

Thanks for a reply in advance,
    Catch22

PS: Not a huge game player but still use some here and there when I can find swapped apk's to .bars that works well still and are decent games like the paper toss, etc. Other then that, all I would need or want but then again, that TEGRA thing exist and is cheap but my MAIN concern and use for my PB is the bridge for SMS! I can not live without it.
    04-24-15 08:11 AM
    There are several pretty cheap good Android 7" inch IPS tablets for sale. You are better of with them when you have kids and want to run certain apps. Especially check out LG en ASUS. The budget Samsungs are not good (they come with an old processor).

Blackberry Playbook OS is secured so no one can thinker with the OS.
    06-18-15 07:56 AM
    Give us BLACKBERRY 10.
    XD

...Sorry, not possible.

Typed using my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk for BlackBerry 7.1
    06-19-15 12:21 AM