PART 1 – Getting past setup screens and into Playbook home screen.

Since the BlackBerry servers were shut down on January 4th, 2022, wiping your BlackBerry PlayBook to start fresh became a big issue. Without the servers, you cannot log in to your BBID account to get into the PlayBook. And today, you can’t even get past the User Agreement.

For anyone that has wiped their PlayBook, or wants to wipe their PlayBook, there is a solution get past the setup screens and have a fully usable tablet again.

Here are the files you will need to get started…
    - BlackBerry Desktop Software (BBDS) – for the Playbook drivers for Windows PC (https://archive.org/download/blackbe..._7.1.0_B42.exe)
    - BB10 Dev Alpha – OS with a feature/bug to get around BBID and user agreement (https://archive.org/details/10.0.4.197-dev-alpha)
    - Darcy’s Tools (DBBT) – build autoloader from BB10 Dev Alpha (https://archive.org/details/dbbt_20220712)
    Note: Darcy’s Tools Requires Windows PC with .NET Framework v4. .NET framework v4 is included in Windows 7 and up, and can be obtained for Vista or XP.

Install the BBDS. Extract DBBT. Extract BB10 Dev Alpha. There are two files in the BB10 Dev Alpha zip file. We are only interested in the one with DESKTOP in the name.

Run DBBT and Build Autoloader with BB10 Dev Alpha “Desktop” signed bar file. Give the file a name you can remember.
    Run the newly created Autoloader file. (The file will be located wherever you extracted Darcy’s Tools.) Using a USB cord, plug your Playbook into the PC. The autoloader will wipe and install the BB10 Dev Alpha on your Playbook.
    When done, the Playbook should restart.

On the initial setup screen, tap the Skip button many times as fast as you can. This will blow past all the setup screens. If you reach the BlackBerry Desktop Software screen, you went one screen too far. Go back once, then tap Done. If you get stuck on a screen, go back to Wifi or earlier screen and try tapping Skip quickly again. Once you are past BBID, you can take your time tapping Skip until you reach the screen with a Done button at the bottom of the screen. Tap Done.

You are now back into your BlackBerry PlayBook.

PART 2 – Downgrade to official OS

One major downside to BB10 Dev Alpha, is not every app will work with it. And it’s not official OS, so it will contain bugs/glitches.

Let’s downgrade to official OS.

Here are the files you need…
    - PlayBook OS 2.1.0.1917 signed bar file – The full OS and apps (https://web.archive.org/web/20171113...-v7+signed.bar)
    - Sachesi 2.0.3 – Software that can Blitz install the official OS (https://github.com/xsacha/Sachesi/re...0.3-Windows.7z)

Note: Do NOT use Sachesi version 2.0.4. It won’t connect to your PlayBook. Also, you might need to download 7z to extract Sachesi (https://www.7-zip.org/download.html).

Extract Sachesi. Run Sachesi.exe. Connect PlayBook to PC using USB cable.

NOTE: If Sachesi cannot see your attached PlayBook, try disabling your Anti-Virus. Do NOT forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus when finished loading up your PlayBook.

Click on Install tab. If you have a password on your PlayBook, enter this password into the Password field on Sachesi. Once Sachesi sees your PlayBook, uncheck Only install newer apps. Drag and drop the Playbook signed bar file into the Sachesi list of your apps. When given a warning that it’s not smart to install an older version, click on Ignore Warning (Stupid). This will start the process of installing official OS. Do not unplug the USB cable.

When the OS is installed, your PlayBook will restart.

You are now running official PlayBook OS 2.1.0.1917. This is the latest OS release for the BlackBerry PlayBook. 

PART 3 - Installing OS apps

Keep your Playbook connected to the PC using the USB cable.

You MUST close Sachesi and restart Sachesi before sideloading apps if you used Sachesi in PART 2 to reinstall OS.

Using Sachesi 2.0.3, go to the Extract tab.

Click the Extract Signed button and select the same OS 2.1.0.1917 "Desktop" signed bar file. When done, a new file will appear called qcfm.image.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.factory_sfi.desk top.GR2_X_X.1917.683354.signed or something similar.

Press the Extract Apps button and choose this newly created file. A folder will appear with all the apps that are part of the official OS.

Go back to the Install tab (ensure Only install newer apps is unchecked) and drag and drop whichever apps you want installed on your PlayBook.

You now have a completely wiped, reinstalled Playbook running official OS 2.1.0.1917 and any of its apps you chose to reinstall.

RECOMMENDATION!! Reboot the PlayBook before using any apps after this process. Documents to Go always hangs the entire Playbook without a reboot. Also, I think Android Runtime needs the reboot before first use.

WARNING!!!! If you wipe the PlayBook after this, you need to start this process all over again.
    Last edited by DOCTOREVIL8; 03-08-23 at 12:27 PM. Reason: added note to close and restart Sachesi for PART 3.; corrected link for OS 2.1.0.1917; note about Anti-Virus and Sachesi
    03-03-23 06:30 PM
    PART 1 – Getting past setup screens and into Playbook home screen.

Since the BlackBerry servers were shut down on January 4th, 2021, wiping your BlackBerry PlayBook to start fresh became a big issue. Without the servers, you cannot log in to your BBID account to get into the PlayBook. And today, you can’t even get past the User Agreement.

For anyone that has wiped their PlayBook, or wants to wipe their PlayBook, there is a solution get past the setup screens and have a fully usable tablet again.

Here are the files you will need to get started…
    -BlackBerry Desktop Software (BBDS) – for the Playbook drivers for Windows PC (https://archive.org/download/blackbe..._7.1.0_B42.exe)
    -BB10 Dev Alpha – OS with a feature/bug to get around BBID and user agreement (https://archive.org/details/10.0.4.197-dev-alpha)
    -Darcy’s Tools (DBBT) – build autoloader from BB10 Dev Alpha (https://archive.org/details/dbbt_20220712)
    Note: Darcy’s Tools Requires Windows PC with .NET Framework v4. .NET framework v4 is included in Windows 7 and up, and can be obtained for Vista or XP.

Install the BBDS. Extract DBBT. Extract BB10 Dev Alpha. There are two files in the BB10 Dev Alpha zip file. We are only interested in the one with DESKTOP in the name.

Run DBBT and Build Autoloader with BB10 Dev Alpha “Desktop” signed bar file. Give the file a name you can remember.
    Run the newly created Autoloader file. (The file will be located wherever you extracted Darcy’s Tools.) Using a USB cord, plug your Playbook into the PC. The autoloader will wipe and install the BB10 Dev Alpha on your Playbook.
    When done, the Playbook should restart.

On the initial setup screen, tap the Skip button many times as fast as you can. This will blow past all the setup screens. If you reach the BlackBerry Desktop Software screen, you went one screen too far. Go back once, then tap Done. If you get stuck on a screen, go back to Wifi or earlier screen and try tapping Skip quickly again. Once you are past BBID, you can take your time tapping Skip until you reach the screen with a Done button at the bottom of the screen. Tap Done.

You are now back into your BlackBerry PlayBook.

PART 2 – Downgrade to official OS

One major downside to BB10 Dev Alpha, is not every app will work with it. And it’s not official OS, so it will contain bugs/glitches.

Let’s downgrade to official OS.

Here are the files you need…
    -PlayBook OS 2.1.0.1917 signed bar file – The full OS and apps (https://archive.org/download/2.1.0.1...7%2Bsigned.bar)
    -Sachesi 2.0.3 – Software that can Blitz install the official OS (https://github.com/xsacha/Sachesi/re...0.3-Windows.7z)

Note: Do NOT use Sachesi version 2.0.4. It won’t connect to your PlayBook. Also, you might need to download 7z to extract Sachesi (https://www.7-zip.org/download.html).

Extract Sachesi. Run Sachesi.exe. Connect PlayBook to PC using USB cable.

Click on Install tab. Once Sachesi sees your PlayBook, uncheck Only install newer apps. Drag and drop the Playbook signed bar file into the Sachesi list of your apps. When given a warning that it’s not smart to install an older version, click on Ignore Warning (Stupid). This will start the process of installing official OS. Do not unplug the USB cable.

When the OS is installed, your PlayBook will restart.

You are now running official PlayBook OS 2.1.0.1917. This is the latest OS release for the BlackBerry PlayBook. 

PART 3 - Installing OS apps

Keep your Playbook connected to the PC using the USB cable.

Using Sachesi 2.0.3, go to the Extract tab.

Click the Extract Signed button and select the same OS 2.1.0.1917 "Desktop" signed bar file. When done, a new file will appear called qcfm.image.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.factory_sfi.desk top.GR2_X_X.1917.683354.signed or something similar.

Press the Extract Apps button and choose this newly created file. A folder will appear with all the apps that are part of the official OS.

Go back to the Install tab and drag and drop whichever apps you want installed on your PlayBook.

You now have a completely wiped, reinstalled Playbook running official OS 2.1.0.1917 and any of its apps you chose to reinstall.

RECOMMENDATION!! Reboot the PlayBook before using any apps after this process. Documents to Go always hangs the entire Playbook without a reboot. Also, I think Android Runtime needs the reboot before first use.

WARNING!!!! If you wipe the PlayBook after this, you need to start this process all over again.
    That’s weird, the process doesn’t show up until I reply!
    03-04-23 04:43 AM
    That’s weird, the process doesn’t show up until I reply!
    Then it doesn’t show in my reply?
    03-04-23 04:45 AM
    When I get to Sachesi it sits on searching for USB device forever....and doesn't connect. Tried different cables to no avail. Steps up to this point work fine.

And, the link of OS 2. 1. 0. 1917 is actually for 1526
    I used DBBT to just build an autoloader for that file and it seemed to work....but then still can't get Sachesi to work.
    03-04-23 11:54 PM
    When I get to Sachesi it sits on searching for USB device forever....and doesn't connect. Tried different cables to no avail. Steps up to this point work fine.

I used DBBT to just build an autoloader for that file and it seemed to work....but then still can't get Sachesi to work.
    Thank you for the notes.

I updated the link for OS 2.1.0.1917. It should get you OS 2.1.0.1917 now.

Can you confirm the version of Sachesi you are using? Version 2.0.4 just hangs on connecting to Playbook for me. Version 2.0.3 works great for me.

If you build an Autoloader with the OS 2.1.0.1917 file, it will wipe the system. That's where Sachesi can Blitz the upgrade. The OS 1526 that I linked to accidentally, is an upgrade file, so an autoloader will work fine.
    tommel2 likes this.
    03-05-23 11:04 AM
    For anyone that can't get Sachesi to work, it might be easier to upgrade to OS 2.1.0.1526. This is an official OS and it's only a couple versions removed from the latest version.

Here is the link to OS 2.1.0.1526... https://archive.org/download/2.1.0.1...7%2Bsigned.bar

Using DBBT, build an autoloader with the 1526 file and run it to upgrade your PlayBook to 2.1.0.1526.

If you have the OS 2.1.0.1917, DO NOT build an autoloader with this. This will wipe your Playbook and you will have to start this process all over again.

SIDELOAD USING BB10/PLAYBOOK APP MANAGER

For sideloading, you can use the BB10 / Playbook App Manager Chrome extension plug-in. Just use a different browser running an older version. I recommend SlimJet. Download version 12.0.14.0 from here... https://www.slimjetbrowser.com/relea...ive/12.0.14.0/

You can get the plug-in from here... https://www.mediafire.com/file/ci6w8...nager.crx/file

Unzip and run SlimJet. Click on Menu button (top right corner), then More Tools then Extensions. Drag and drop the PBManager.crx file into this Window.

Note: If SlimJet offers an upgrade to a newer version, always click No. Any upgrade would likely break the BB10/Playbook App Manager.
    Last edited by DOCTOREVIL8; 03-05-23 at 11:59 AM. Reason: added note to SlimJet
    03-05-23 11:24 AM

Also, when you have your PlayBook connected to the PC for Sachesi, what is on your PlayBook screen? Is it trying to install Drivers or does is note that it's Connected to Computer?
    03-05-23 11:36 AM

I forgot to ask if you have a password on your PlayBook. If so, you need to enter it into the Password field in Sachesi. I have updated the instructions with this detail.
    03-05-23 12:48 PM
    I forgot to ask if you have a password on your PlayBook. If so, you need to enter it into the Password field in Sachesi. I have updated the instructions with this detail.
    Does your PC need to have SMB1 enabled for Sachesi to work properly with the PlayBook connection? I forget - it's been a long time since I've connected it.
    03-05-23 01:07 PM
    Does your PC need to have SMB1 enabled for Sachesi to work properly with the PlayBook connection? I forget - it's been a long time since I've connected it.
    I had SMB1 enabled on my PC. Sachesi was working great.

I thought about this earlier. So I disabled SMB1 and restarted my PC.

Sachesi 2.0.3 still connects to my PlayBook. I am using Windows 11 PC, FYI.
    brookie229 likes this.
    03-05-23 01:13 PM
    Thanks for this!

My Playbook is already wiped so making an autoloader for 1917 should be ok? This might be part of the reason nothing ever shows up. All all have for apps is Browser, Camera and Setup.

Yes, Sachesi is 2.0.3. It does identify the HWName QNX6.6.0 in the device information FYI. 2.0.4 displays no information at all.

SMB1 is enabled (on the 2 different computers I've tried).
    Last edited by rectagon; 03-05-23 at 02:00 PM.
    03-05-23 01:44 PM
    I forgot to answer... lol. No password. Also tried an attempt where I added a password and input it. No joy.
    03-05-23 01:59 PM
    Thanks for this!

My Playbook is already wiped so making an autoloader for 1917 should be ok? This might be part of the reason nothing ever shows up. All all have for apps is Browser, Camera and Setup.

Yes, Sachesi is 2.0.3. It does identify the HWName QNX6.6.0 in the device information FYI. 2.0.4 displays no information at all.

The OS 2.1.0.1917 is a debrick file. Making an auto loader will wipe your PlayBook and you have to start all over again. Sachesi can load it like an update which is why we need a working Sachesi.

You can make an autoloader for 2.1.0.1526. That one is an upgrade OS. It will not wipe and your Playbook becomes official OS, although not the latest.

This type of update won’t install the apps. So you can extract them and sideload them.

Adding the apps, use extracting with Darcy’s Tools. I made a post above about sideloading with SlimJet. If you can’t get Sachesi working at this point, SlimJet and the App Manager will get the apps reloaded.
    03-05-23 04:17 PM
    Thanks for this!

I am wondering if you have anti virus that could be blocking the connection between the Playbook and Sachesi. I just tried my process on my personal win 10 laptop that had no blackberry anything on it. Worked clean. But I do not have 3rd party anti virus on it either. Hmmmmm.
    03-06-23 06:27 AM
    The OS 2.1.0.1917 is a debrick file. Making an auto loader will wipe your PlayBook and you have to start all over again. Sachesi can load it like an update which is why we need a working Sachesi.

You can make an autoloader for 2.1.0.1526. That one is an upgrade OS. It will not wipe and your Playbook becomes official OS, although not the latest.

This type of update won’t install the apps. So you can extract them and sideload them.

Adding the apps, use extracting with Darcy’s Tools. I made a post above about sideloading with SlimJet. If you can’t get Sachesi working at this point, SlimJet and the App Manager will get the apps reloaded.

OK.... this was fun.

Never could get Sachesi to work and couldn't get the PBManager Chrome extension to work either... it refused to install always hanging Slimjet... UNTIL I got 7zip to extract it (renaming to zip did NOT work... I just got 7zip to open it natively) and then use developer mode to "load unpacked extension" but I had to rename the folder "_modules" to just "modules" (the underscore was the problem).

Up and running!!! Thanks for all your work.
    DOCTOREVIL8 likes this.
    03-06-23 12:24 PM
    OK.... this was fun.

Never could get Sachesi to work and couldn't get the PBManager Chrome extension to work either... it refused to install always hanging Slimjet... UNTIL I got 7zip to extract it (renaming to zip did NOT work... I just got 7zip to open it natively) and then use developer mode to "load unpacked extension" but I had to rename the folder "_modules" to just "modules" (the underscore was the problem).

Up and running!!! Thanks for all your work.
    I ran into one PlayBook where Sachesi wouldn't work for me.

I needed to connect to a Wifi network on the PlayBook before Sachesi would connect.
    @rectagon If you have time, can you make sure your PlayBook is connected to a wireless network then try and see if Sachesi 2.0.3 connects this time or not?
    03-22-23 11:12 AM
    I ran into one PlayBook where Sachesi wouldn't work for me.

I needed to connect to a Wifi network on the PlayBook before Sachesi would connect.
    @rectagon If you have time, can you make sure your PlayBook is connected to a wireless network then try and see if Sachesi 2.0.3 connects this time or not?
    I'm positive I had it with wifi connected...and times when it wasn't. But...I'm old and could be wrong. But I've given it back to the owner now.
    03-27-23 06:09 PM
    @DOCTOREVIL8 : I was able to perform all the steps without any problems. I cannot express to you how much it means to be able to reuse my Playbook. Thank you very much, from the depths of my spirit. You are the Official Reviver of Playbooks!!
    DOCTOREVIL8 likes this.
    06-08-23 04:08 PM
    @DOCTOREVIL8, it all worked out great. Now the Playbook is good to use again. But I still have one problem: Without BB-ID I can't transfer files to the playbook with the BBDS. In Windows11 file explorer the playbook does not appear as a drive. The USB driver is fine, otherwise Sachesi would not connect to the PB. How should I proceed to exchange files between PC and PB?
    07-03-23 01:51 AM
    @DOCTOREVIL8, it all worked out great. Now the Playbook is good to use again. But I still have one problem: Without BB-ID I can't transfer files to the playbook with the BBDS. In Windows11 file explorer the playbook does not appear as a drive. The USB driver is fine, otherwise Sachesi would not connect to the PB. How should I proceed to exchange files between PC and PB?
    I think you need to enable SMB1 in your Windows PC in order for the drive to be detected. It's a potential security risk so make sure to disable it again once you are finished. There are several ways you can enable it: https://www.webnots.com/how-to-enabl...in-windows-pc/
    07-03-23 08:15 AM
    SMB1 and 2 are enabled. I'll try reinstalling BBDS again.
    07-03-23 10:50 PM
    SMB1 and 2 are enabled. I'll try reinstalling BBDS again.
    I could never get a USB connection working with current Playbook on my current win 11 laptop. With SMB1 enabled, I could get it working wirelessly to transfer files.

I have an old netbook with Windows XP and USB works fine there with Playbooks.
    07-04-23 06:49 AM
    It has been confirmed. The reinstallation has allowed access. With the PlayBook mounted as a network drive in Windows11, I can now access the individual folders and fill them with photos, videos, etc.
    brookie229 and dmlis like this.
    07-04-23 08:54 AM