Tried and failed a couple times this morning, then decided to security wipe the device and try again (since I was planning on doing that anyway), and it's still failing...the last attempt got to 94% downloaded and 14 seconds left, then proceeded to start adding seconds to the time remaining without making any download progress...before the thing crapped out.

Previously, I was able to download the update about 3 times, but it would fail to install every time...

Now I'm stuck in this stupid update loop, with no ability to get DM to recognize the device (because 'setup has not completed on this device')...sigh

Is there anything else I can try?
    11-24-11 11:39 AM
    Try this:
    1) Run Desktop Manager on your computer
    2) turn the PB off, then connect it to the computer with the USB cable
    3) watch desktop manager, should be a popup that has an option to "update", click update
    4) let it do it's thing.
    11-24-11 11:48 AM
    Try this:
    1) Run Desktop Manager on your computer
    2) turn the PB off, then connect it to the computer with the USB cable
    3) watch desktop manager, should be a popup that has an option to "update", click update
    4) let it do it's thing.
    I'll give that a shot, once I can get this thing to give me the option to 'turn off' or 'retry' after a failed install...got to 93% last time, but ever since, stuck failing to even download the full update, so I can't actually 'turn off' the playbook...sigh...
    11-24-11 12:15 PM
    hold down the volume up key, volume down key, and power button at the same time and hold it for about 15 seconds.

TIP: It's easier if you hit the volume up key then the volume down key and then the power key.

this should hard reset it, so just open up desktop manager on your computer, then do this trick to reset it, then as it shuts down to reboot, plug it into the computer with the USB cable, then wait for the pop up that has the "update" option...

if you wait too long and the PB loads up, the "update" popup will go away...
    11-24-11 12:23 PM
    ahhh...I didn't think of trying to 'sneak' it in there while it was rebooting...DM update going now, thanks! (fingers crossed)
    11-24-11 12:33 PM
    Just a warning that an update as described above is also known as a Debrick and you loose all the data on your PlayBook.

Your security wipe would have erased all the data already, but just posting this in case somebody else comes across this thread.
    11-24-11 12:53 PM
    ok, so progress...the DM update error'd out, right at the end...but the PlayBook rebooted to the initial setup screen...once I got through that, it found the 1.0.8 update, or at least 33mb of it, so I'm assuming that's just the missing portion from what failed via the DM?
    11-24-11 01:03 PM
    Just a warning that an update as described above is also known as a Debrick and you loose all the data on your PlayBook.

Your security wipe would have erased all the data already, but just posting this in case somebody else comes across this thread.

Yeah, good catch - I had backed up all my personal documents/media files to my computer prior to performing the Security Wipe...

FINALLY, it looks like we have success...that was a Royal PITA, but looks like the DM update was definitely the way to go, even though it failed at the last few percent...wow.
    11-24-11 01:06 PM
    After a day of use, I'm still experiencing the browser/app crashes and black screen of death that i was before the update... which was why my original plan to do a security wipe and reload the OS was such an easy decision. I whole-heatedly thought the fresh OS would be somewhat of a solve-all, but that doesn't seem to be the case...obviously, there's some underlying issue with some software code somewhere, but I don't know how to figure it out.

I may try doing a fresh OS reload again, after another security wipe, I don't know...I got the extended warranty at Best Buy, but if they don't have 64gb units in stock, I don't know what they'll do...
    11-25-11 02:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD