Hello CB.

I have a BlackBerry PlayBook and I have updated it's OS to 2.1. I have seen various forums for installing android apps on PlayBook and tried them all but I am encountering a recurring problem.

I tried to install android app after converting it to bar format using the chrome extension installer but it has been giving an error saying, "Failure -12". I have also tried using the DDPB application but it gives the same error.

I have tried to use the BBHTool to install the apk on my PlayBook but I have no idea how to because everytime I run it it says, "No OS detected. Please select the OS folder".

Please help I need the app to work desperately.
    09-30-19 07:49 AM
    Hello CB.

I have a BlackBerry PlayBook and I have updated it's OS to 2.1. I have seen various forums for installing android apps on PlayBook and tried them all but I am encountering a recurring problem.

I tried to install android app after converting it to bar format using the chrome extension installer but it has been giving an error saying, "Failure -12". I have also tried using the DDPB application but it gives the same error.

I have tried to use the BBHTool to install the apk on my PlayBook but I have no idea how to because everytime I run it it says, "No OS detected. Please select the OS folder".

You need to put your PlayBook in development mode.
    09-30-19 08:52 AM
    are you converting the APK files to BAR first?
    09-30-19 08:58 AM
    Hello CB.

A few questions so I am understanding you correctly. Have you successfully converted the apk to a bar file using a converter such as https://apps.goodereader.com/apk-2-bar/ ? If not, you need to do this first before installing it on your PlayBook. I am fairly sure that Chrome cannot convert the file, it will only install the bar after conversion by another utility (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Second question: what apk (app) are you trying to install? You may be wasting your time if the android app requires a minimum of android 2.3 (this is the level of android compatibility in the PlayBook). Anything requiring this level will not work on the PlayBook. You can check the minimum requirement by checking the android app description.
    09-30-19 08:58 AM
    You need to put your PlayBook in development mode.
    Since I have seen the tutorials on how to install apks, I have seen that I need to do so. I have done that but that's the error that comes up while installing the bar file.
    09-30-19 06:37 PM
    are you converting the APK files to BAR first?
    I have converted my apk to bar using many online converters but everytime d same error.
    09-30-19 06:39 PM
    A few questions so I am understanding you correctly. Have you successfully converted the apk to a bar file using a converter such as https://apps.goodereader.com/apk-2-bar/ ? If not, you need to do this first before installing it on your PlayBook. I am fairly sure that Chrome cannot convert the file, it will only install the bar after conversion by another utility (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Second question: what apk (app) are you trying to install? You may be wasting your time if the android app requires a minimum of android 2.3 (this is the level of android compatibility in the PlayBook). Anything requiring this level will not work on the PlayBook. You can check the minimum requirement by checking the android app description.
    Hi, brookie29.
    Yes I have converted the apk to a bar file using multiple converter including the good e reader converter.
    I am trying to install Mozilla Firefox on my device and there seems to be another problem. One or twice the process of bar installation on the PlayBook is shown as success but I cannot see the application on my device. When I restart the PlayBook, then the application comes but everytime I am greeted with the message, "The BlackBerry keyboard has stopped working unexpectedly".
    09-30-19 06:45 PM
    I have converted my apk to bar using many online converters but everytime d same error.
    The problem is that only 50% of the apps that run on Android 2.3.3 and below will work.

Try one of these working bars to test your process:

https://goodereader.com/blog/tag/playbook
    Last edited by conite; 09-30-19 at 07:28 PM.
    09-30-19 06:52 PM
    Hello CB.

Hey Divyanshu,

First, what app is it? I'd be happy to test the app and send you a working version if needed.

Second, have you tried sideloading using Sachesi or Darcy's Blackberry Tools? Though designed for BB10 both work quite well with the Playbook and I've installed sideloaded apps with no trouble.
    09-30-19 07:18 PM
    First, what app is it?
    The OP mentions FireFox above and I'm afraid that he won't have much luck with that particular app. Just won't run properly.
    10-01-19 12:13 AM
    I am trying to install Mozilla Firefox
    Sorry to say that you won't get FireFox to work properly.
    10-01-19 12:15 AM
    Hey Divyanshu,

First, what app is it? I'd be happy to test the app and send you a working version if needed.

Second, have you tried sideloading using Sachesi or Darcy's Blackberry Tools? Though designed for BB10 both work quite well with the Playbook and I've installed sideloaded apps with no trouble.
    Hi TrumpterTiger.
    I want to install firefox on my device just to check if I can install apks on my PlayBook. Actually I am interested in installing Aakash CBT app on my device if possible.
    I have not used the mentioned softwares for the sideloading. Thank you for telling I will try.
    10-01-19 04:38 AM
    Sorry to say that you won't get FireFox to work properly.
    Thank you brookie229.
    I'm just trying to convert a firefox apk for android 2.2.1 to bar and then installing it to see if it will.
    10-01-19 04:40 AM
    Thank you brookie229.
    I'm just trying to convert a firefox apk for android 2.2.1 to bar and then installing it to see if it will.
    Yep, I've done that ages ago but the browser would install, just not work well. You may have some luck with an older duckduckgo apk browser. I think I still have that one on my PlayBook.
    10-01-19 09:31 AM
    Hi TrumpterTiger.
    I want to install firefox on my device just to check if I can install apks on my PlayBook. Actually I am interested in installing Aakash CBT app on my device if possible.
    I have not used the mentioned softwares for the sideloading. Thank you for telling I will try.
    Hey Div,

You absolutely CAN install APKs (once converted to .BAR form) on your Playbook, but if they are not compatible with Android 2.3 or below you may have trouble getting them to work. I'm working on a version of Firefox for you now and will test the Aakash app as well.
    10-01-19 05:29 PM
    Hey Div,

You absolutely CAN install APKs (once converted to .BAR form) on your Playbook, but if they are not compatible with Android 2.3 or below you may have trouble getting them to work. I'm working on a version of Firefox for you now and will test the Aakash app as well.
    Plus, it's not just a matter of being compatible with Android 2.3.3 and below, because as you recall, the Runtime was locked prior to BB10 10.2.1 - which means native Android code won't work either. Only Dalvik/VM coded apps have a chance of running.
    10-01-19 06:47 PM
    Plus, it's not just a matter of being compatible with Android 2.3.3 and below, because as you recall, the Runtime was locked prior to BB10 10.2.1 - which means native Android code won't work either. Only Dalvik/VM coded apps have a chance of running.
    Some of these conversations are requiring Google Translate for me to understand, ancient tech or not
    10-01-19 07:18 PM
    Some of these conversations are requiring Google Translate for me to understand, ancient tech or not
    'Dumbing it down' is often the hardest part of explaining something. I often find myself thinking 'I know the issue, but how do I explain it in a way others understand.'
    10-01-19 07:28 PM
    That is certainly a possibility. But in any case, I purposefully wasn't mentioning code issues because that gets deeper into the nitty-gritty than most posters want to know.
    10-01-19 07:32 PM
    I have a convenient translation app on my TrueBerry if you want to go back to it for a while.
    10-01-19 07:33 PM
    'Dumbing it down' is often the hardest part of explaining something. I often find myself thinking 'I know the issue, but how do I explain it in a way others understand.'
    Thanks I think :-D
    Bla1ze likes this.
    10-01-19 07:34 PM
    I have a convenient translation app on my TrueBerry if you want to go back to it for a while.
    Just wait for me to BBM you....
    10-01-19 07:47 PM
    Hey Div,

Hi TrumpetTiger.
    Thank you so much for the support. The aakash aap is not compatible with Android 2.3 or below. Is there some way to bring down its compatibility to 2.3 or smthn?
    Plus I am having trouble using the Sachesi Tool. It's not connecting my PlayBook to the laptop.
    Thank you again for taking the trouble for converting the apps for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-19 11:43 PM
    Hi conite.
    I'm just asking this question out of curiosity. Is it possible to flash Android on PlayBook? If so how? I don't intend to do so but information is always useful.
    Also there aren't many apps for Android 2.3 or below that have a real use. So why aren't the Blackberry developers doing something about it?
    The Android Runtime is as good as not being there. Maybe upgrading the Android version or making the Android apps for BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    10-01-19 11:49 PM
    Hi conite.
    I'm just asking this question out of curiosity. Is it possible to flash Android on PlayBook? If so how? I don't intend to do so but information is always useful.
    Also there aren't many apps for Android 2.3 or below that have a real use. So why aren't the Blackberry developers doing something about it?
    The Android Runtime is as good as not being there. Maybe upgrading the Android version or making the Android apps for BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    No, you can't install any other OS.

It's an 8 year old tablet - long since abandoned. If you want Android, get a new one for $100.

There is a version of Kindle that still works on the PlayBook. It can also stream and play music from a DLNA source.
    10-01-19 11:50 PM
46 12