View Poll Results: How will you use email with OS 2.0 on the Playbook?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Native Email

33 50.00%
  • Bridged

19 28.79%
  • Not sure

14 21.21%
    Anyone in the know please answer.
    I read that with the new OS 2.0 we will have native email & Calendar on the Playbook. I was wondering if I would still be able to use the Email, BBM & Calender like with OS 1 only when bridged? I don't want to get my emails on my Playbook since my wife and kids also play with my Playbook.
    02-16-12 05:48 PM
    I read that with the new OS 2.0 we will have native email & Calendar on the Playbook. I was wondering if I would still be able to use the Email, BBM & Calender like with OS 1 only when bridged? I don't want to get my emails on my Playbook since my wife and kids also play with my Playbook.
    Check this out
    02-16-12 05:50 PM
    The bridge should work the same, regardless of whether you use the native PIM apps or not.
    BoldWorld likes this.
    02-16-12 05:54 PM
    I picked bridged because I really to not need 1 more place to look at e-mail.
    I get along very well with my BB/PB combo thank you.
    Spencerdl and mrbjr like this.
    02-16-12 05:58 PM
    Check this out
    in the clip it really shows how cool the built in Email, Contacts & Calender is but it doesn't tell me if I can continue using the email over bridge like I do now.
    02-16-12 06:01 PM
    I picked bridged because I really to not need 1 more place to look at e-mail.
    I get along very well with my BB/PB combo thank you.
    +1....what he said
    02-16-12 06:02 PM
    Natively for the heck of it... don't really need it. Looking forward to controlling the PB with my phone and spell check and the predictive typing and the android apps, and...
    02-16-12 06:03 PM
    both...............
    02-16-12 06:06 PM
    You can continue to use bridged mail, calendar etc. it's been demoed. the problem is that it will be EXACTLY THE SAME as now. No cool new layouts/features with it.

I suspect I may be stuck with bridge for corporate mail, but I'll use native for everything else (google sync my corporate calendar so that I can use native calendar in OS 2).
    02-16-12 06:08 PM
    You can continue to use bridged mail, calendar etc. it's been demoed. the problem is that it will be EXACTLY THE SAME as now. No cool new layouts/features with it.

I suspect I may be stuck with bridge for corporate mail, but I'll use native for everything else (google sync my corporate calendar so that I can use native calendar in OS 2).
    thats not exciting. would be great if they bring all those cool features to the bridged email.
    02-16-12 06:42 PM
    thats not exciting. would be great if they bring all those cool features to the bridged email.
    I agree, but when they demoed it they were clear it wasn't going to happen. They said they're limited by the capabilities of the handset. In other words, since you can't do rich text on your BB, you can't do it via bridge either.

BB10 should change that. I hope they still have bridge mail in BB10.
    Last edited by jonty12; 02-16-12 at 08:42 PM.
    02-16-12 08:39 PM
    Both is the plan here
    02-16-12 11:25 PM
    Just don't configure the native email app with your email credentials. If it's not setup you can't receive any emails. Then just use only Bridge.
    02-17-12 05:07 AM
    Think about it like this. You'll want to have the capability of both. You could natively setup your corporate email on your playbook, and leave your personal email on your BB. That way your brigded email could stay locked, and you'll still have access to your corporate mail. Its just a guess, but sounds like thats one way to use it.

Frankly, I prefer the none native way. I honestly can't think of a time when I'm without my BB. And besides that, I have an absolute need to have my BB charged at all times, for connectivity of course.

I'm really not sure how I'll use the native functions. But as I said before, in the native email aspect. Its for those PB owners out there that don't own a BB phone. They're the real benefactors of the native email additions and will have the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 02-17-12 at 10:16 AM.
    02-17-12 09:03 AM
    Good comments Thachoc1. Originally I was thinking I would not use the native PIM apps & continue to used Bridged. After seeing them in action - I'm tempted to simply use both, or at least try out the native apps for a little while and see if I like them enough to continue with both.

Having CHOICES is a good thing, regardless of the direction people end up taking.
    Thachoc1 likes this.
    02-17-12 09:28 AM
    I agree that the non-BB owners are the real benefactors in the native PIM apps. I'll probably go the same route as above and connect my work email to my PB and leave my Gmail on my BB via Bridge. Bosses like to send a lot of rich text entries or attachments so might as well make use of the PB's larger screen and better functionality until BB10 arrives.

I think the real upside to being bridged is having the ability to connect/disconnect easily by just terminating your bluetooth connection if you want to hand your PB over to a friend or colleague and don't want them snooping around your emails, etc. I know I've done it countless times before just to make sure they have limited access to my personal things.

My understanding is the same on Bridge+PIM as well...Native will function as demoed and Bridge will function as it does now just on top of PIM. So if you're bridged you'll technically have a dual email pop-up on your PB - one for the phone notifying you of a new email on your BB and a separate new notification for receiving a new email through PIM. If you connect both accounts from the BB to your PB I would like to think that the new 2.0 Bridge would allow you to disconnect the Messages feature in Bridge so you don't get those dual-notifications but can still enjoy things like Memopad and BBM.

Perhaps a suggested feature for the betazone Dev's?
    02-17-12 10:17 AM
    I will use both. If I am at home within easy reach of the PB and will use the native email. I look forward to it and really will see how each fits into the way I use my mail etc.
    02-17-12 11:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD