I downloaded the Desktop Software from RIM thinking I could get my Windows 8 pc to recognize my PlayBook thus enabling me to exchange data like photos. However after much exploration on this Windows 8 I found that under computer setting and devices I think it was it says for the PlayBook there is a driver error. Should I uninstall/ reinstall or change a setting so I can get the two to communicate, or is there a driver update that I am unaware of? Thanks for any help. Of course I never had this problem on my old pc-
    01-12-13 05:05 AM
    Not much comfort, but v2.1 bundle 1314 installed flawlessly here on win8pro x64. I'd uninstall, restart and install it again without the PB attached.
    You could also try other usb ports, like from the back instead of front. Good luck.
    01-12-13 09:15 AM
    I tried reinstall this morning, no luck- must be something else. I learn a lot when I have these problems, problem is I don't feel like figuring it out. Oh well I guess I will roll up my sleeves and get to it. Thanks Boight.
    01-12-13 04:33 PM
    I did a full wipe on the tablet and a reinstall- that sucks. I had to hit "repair" and that was my last resort. The BlackBerry Desktop software got stuck at tablet os update. That sucked too.
    So I restarted the pc and it seems fine, the PlayBook is working fine too. I entered all the information on the PlayBook when the PlayBook said it was done but the pc never got there. Interesting Huh? So later I will attempt to communicate between the two- devoted to much time already to this. PlayBook is at 2.1.0.1314 now-
    By the way I see there is a Desk Top software section to post in. I looked but not far enough down.
    01-13-13 11:59 AM
    I find it is often the case with the PB, weird problems come out of nowhere, I have the same problem that began after I installed Win 8, none of the solutions I have found have worked. A little venting--if they haven't licked this stuff with the launch of BB10 it will be the death of RIM as a device maker.
    01-18-13 02:03 PM
    I successfully installed the PB Drivers through Windows (Running Windows 8 x64). However, I did additionally need to install DM for Windows 8 to recognise the drive and show it on My Computer. So, each time I wish to connect my PB, I open up DM, connect the PB, enter my password, (now, Windows has recognised the PB drive and is showing on My Computer) and close DM.

I never had this problem with Windows 7, as in, I never needed to specifically open DM for Windows to "recognise" my PB.
    PTZ likes this.
    01-18-13 07:11 PM
    We must keep in mind there's two ways to access the playbook.
    1) via USB through Desktop manager which has to be running.
    2) via Wi-fi which is always available. By simply adding \\192.168.0.12\media to the Map network Drive dialog in (my)Computer/computer menu item. Note the 0.12 is specific to my network, use whatever Lan port your router has assigned to your playbook.
    PTZ likes this.
    01-20-13 12:10 PM
    I did a full wipe on the tablet and a reinstall- that sucks. I had to hit "repair" and that was my last resort. The BlackBerry Desktop software got stuck at tablet os update. That sucked too.
    So I restarted the pc and it seems fine, the PlayBook is working fine too. I entered all the information on the PlayBook when the PlayBook said it was done but the pc never got there. Interesting Huh? So later I will attempt to communicate between the two- devoted to much time already to this. PlayBook is at 2.1.0.1314 now-
    By the way I see there is a Desk Top software section to post in. I looked but not far enough down.
    I got a new laptop a couple of weeks ago, loaded with Windows 8. Previously I had some other Windows, I don't remember which, nor do I care. Both my Torch 9810 and PlayBook connected to the older Windows no problem. In Windows 8, my Torch connects, my PlayBook doesn't. I tried posting the problem, but at the time, apparently no one was having any issues, so I figured my PlayBook was simply on its way out. This ofcourse was after installing Desktop Manager, uninstalling it to enable .NET 3,5, then reinstalling it, and aafter a couple of PlayBook wipes.

Plugging in my PlayBook, a driver appears with that little hazard sign and exclamation mark. The driver reads: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

My PlayBook is fully updated with 2.1.0.1314. The Windows driver version is 2.0.0.32, dated June 27th, 2012. Connecting the PlayBook via USB causes the driver to install, but not function. Trying to connect to it with the Desktop Manager causes a long pause, where it recognizes my PlayBook and PIN, but then gives me that retry/update/cancel option.

Connecting my PlayBook via BlueTooth prompts me to enter a WPS PIN, which I don't know, and makes me think something's going wrong in the recognition process, as my Torch connects this way aswell, with no problems.

Anyway, you're not the only one in this boat.
    PTZ likes this.
    01-21-13 03:49 PM
    I was able to finally get this working all. It seems that the device manager that installs with the Latest Desktop Manager has issues with Windows 8. I found a link that give you an older version of the device manager and drivers it seems and i uninstalled the current drivers deleting them from the system and then installed these and then Desktop Manager worked and Windows 8 also saw the device as a drive as it did before. The link to the download is ftp://ca:[email protected]_Driver.zip . hope this helps everyone as this was a very annoying thing. Now if i could only get the Playbook to work with HDMI cable as i have two cables that do not work.
    PTZ likes this.
    01-22-13 05:29 PM
    I was also able to finally get this working. And this way doesn't require an earlier version of of the desktop software.

Problem:
    Windows 8 unable to install PlayBook drivers, resulting in the computer recognizing that the PlayBook is connected, but unable to give you any access to it. It does not appear in the Computer window, and does not prompt you for the PlayBook password. After a minute or so, the BlackBerry device manager recognizes that the PlayBook is connected, and the BlackBerry Desktop Software recognizes the PlayBook, displaying your PIN, but fails to connect, prompting you the the retry/update/cancel window.

I did three things, not sure if all are necessary. You may want to start with the third, and work your way back, repeating the other steps each time if necessary.

First thing: In Windows Control Panel/Programs, click "Turn Windows features on or off". A list will load, make sure .NET framework 3.5 is checked.

Second thing: In the Windows Control Panel/Hardware and Sound, click "device manager", scroll down to Universal Serial Bus controllers, expand the tree, and you'll see a number of USB Root Hub entries. In each of their properties, under the Power Management tab, uncheck the box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Second thing: With the PlayBook connected via USB, still in control panel/Hardware and Sound/device manager, scroll up to Network Adapters, and you should see a BlackBerry Device entry, with a hazard sign and exclamation mark, indicating the driver isn't properly installed. Right click and uninstall the driver, and then press the "scan for new hardware changes" button. The BlackBerry Device entry should return, hopefully this time properly installed. Opening BlackBerry Desktop Software at this point should allow you to connect to the PlayBook. To get it to appear in the Computers window, unplug the PlayBook, and reset both the PlayBook and the Computer. Once both have restarted, reconnect the two, and you should be prompted with the PlayBook password, and everything should work fine.

Good luck! Hope this helps!
    01-22-13 06:51 PM
    Tried your fix in the order you gave and it fixed my problem after steps One and Two. Thanks!
    KidCaboose likes this.
    01-28-13 02:12 PM
    Oh man, thank you, i did steps 1, 2 and 3, and it solve it, I was already giving up, now finally I can transfer some music and movies that I was "craving" for, thank you man!
    KidCaboose likes this.
    01-28-13 07:06 PM
    genius.
    you sir have made my day. I was thinking that my �25 Microsoft upgrade had ruined my playbook!
    thank you so much. Seriously, if ever there was an advert for not trusting microsofts 'this windows 8 business will work fine on your PC and everything that runs with it doodlebug' this is it...although I probably didn't read the instructions..... any how. thanks SO SO much for the fix!
    PTZ and KidCaboose like this.
    01-29-13 06:52 PM
    I have been lurking watching the Z10 phone release posts kind of sharing in the excitement of course vicariously and I forgot to post at least a thanks for the help I received. A Big Thanks to all.
    02-06-13 07:43 PM
    Turn off Wifi.
    02-07-13 02:21 AM
    Yay - thanks for this its been doing my head in all day but I finally got there. The only other thing I had to do was repair my installation of desktop manager which was a little more complicated than it should have been.

The BB installer creates a temporary file which is needed for the repair but gets deleted as soon as the initial install is complete. To recreate it I simply restarted the original installation let the temp file be created and then continued with the repair, once that had finished I cancelled the install. I found that if I just did a reinstall for some reason I had the same problem.

Thanks for all the help, just wish I had found this thread earlier.
    02-14-13 01:41 PM
    Where is this temporary folder created because I have tried all the other 3 steps and i still get the hazard sign next to the blackberry device so I might have to do the same thing. This has been driving me crazy for a while and Id all but given up till i found this thread I feel as though Im nearly there now.
    02-21-13 05:35 PM
    I was also able to finally get this working. And this way doesn't require an earlier version of of the desktop software.

Problem:
    Windows 8 unable to install PlayBook drivers, resulting in the computer recognizing that the PlayBook is connected, but unable to give you any access to it. It does not appear in the Computer window, and does not prompt you for the PlayBook password. After a minute or so, the BlackBerry device manager recognizes that the PlayBook is connected, and the BlackBerry Desktop Software recognizes the PlayBook, displaying your PIN, but fails to connect, prompting you the the retry/update/cancel window.

I did three things, not sure if all are necessary. You may want to start with the third, and work your way back, repeating the other steps each time if necessary.

First thing: In Windows Control Panel/Programs, click "Turn Windows features on or off". A list will load, make sure .NET framework 3.5 is checked.

Second thing: In the Windows Control Panel/Hardware and Sound, click "device manager", scroll down to Universal Serial Bus controllers, expand the tree, and you'll see a number of USB Root Hub entries. In each of their properties, under the Power Management tab, uncheck the box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Second thing: With the PlayBook connected via USB, still in control panel/Hardware and Sound/device manager, scroll up to Network Adapters, and you should see a BlackBerry Device entry, with a hazard sign and exclamation mark, indicating the driver isn't properly installed. Right click and uninstall the driver, and then press the "scan for new hardware changes" button. The BlackBerry Device entry should return, hopefully this time properly installed. Opening BlackBerry Desktop Software at this point should allow you to connect to the PlayBook. To get it to appear in the Computers window, unplug the PlayBook, and reset both the PlayBook and the Computer. Once both have restarted, reconnect the two, and you should be prompted with the PlayBook password, and everything should work fine.

First let me say thanks, been having the issue with the DM for some time now, drove me nuts. was even on the phone with tech for over two hours with no results.
    yesterday got to the point that I was alset and did a refresh on my HP desktop which cleaned out a bunch of programs including the DM. and was planning on leaving it that way, figuring I would just use it via wifi.
    But then I saw your post and decided to give another try and went on the internet and downloaded the DM software, this time the download was different. it stated I need to add a feature, and stated the framework 3.5. which I saw on your post. updated the feature and finished the download.
    Plug my tablet into usb, and its working perfect.

thanks again, love crackberry.
    02-23-13 08:49 AM
    If you just have a playbook, and no legacy BlackBerry phone, you could also try going to BlackBerry Link as it supports bb10 phones and the playbook.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 09:10 AM
    If you just have a playbook, and no legacy BlackBerry phone, you could also try going to BlackBerry Link as it supports bb10 phones and the playbook.

Posted via CB10
    thanks just downloaded the BB Link, works great, like format.
    02-24-13 02:23 PM
    I was able to finally get this working all. It seems that the device manager that installs with the Latest Desktop Manager has issues with Windows 8. I found a link that give you an older version of the device manager and drivers it seems and i uninstalled the current drivers deleting them from the system and then installed these and then Desktop Manager worked and Windows 8 also saw the device as a drive as it did before. The link to the download is ftp://ca:[email protected]_Driver.zip . hope this helps everyone as this was a very annoying thing. Now if i could only get the Playbook to work with HDMI cable as i have two cables that do not work.
    To help those at a later date who are searching, You might want to archive a copy of that zip file someplace. My experience on the net is much needed files that are linked to go to dead links in short order.
    02-25-13 04:01 AM

Problem:
    Windows 8 unable to install PlayBook drivers, resulting in the computer recognizing that the PlayBook is connected, but unable to give you any access to it. It does not appear in the Computer window, and does not prompt you for the PlayBook password. After a minute or so, the BlackBerry device manager recognizes that the PlayBook is connected, and the BlackBerry Desktop Software recognizes the PlayBook, displaying your PIN, but fails to connect, prompting you the the retry/update/cancel window....

Thank you sooooo much for these instructions...worked perfectly.
    03-04-13 05:28 PM
    I purchased my blackberry playbook a month before I got my computer and I can not get my music from my computer to my tablet. Does that mean Blackberry is behind the times in technology upgrades. It does not make good business when you can't do a sync from the computer to a tablet. Something simple that a mp3 can do on any random pc.
    03-21-13 10:19 PM
    Do you have developer mode on (as you would for transfer Bar files) ?

If so turn it off. I find in developer mode I have problems with my PC using the onboard storage on my PB. Not really an issue but something to remember if transferring music and videos.
    03-22-13 10:48 AM
    KidCaboose you're a legend! Ta!
    04-07-13 11:02 AM
34 12