... Or will it be play book only?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-10 08:55 AM
    ... Or will it be play book only?

id like to know too wonder if the hardware specs meet the requirements but if that where the case why wouldnt just release it with qnx ...
    09-29-10 11:01 PM
    id like to know too wonder if the hardware specs meet the requirements but if that where the case why wouldnt just release it with qnx ...
    The QNX software is not ready and BB6 is a filler in my opinion.
    09-30-10 12:25 AM
    I am with urbanglowcam on this one. That's why I think that we have not seen much of the storm 3 and that's why the playbook was not allowed to be handled at devcon. QNX is what RIM is banking its furure on and they want it to be perfect no holes. JMO

09-30-10 12:44 AM
    Well rim said that qnx move will take 2 years on all their devices. So theoretically, we can see rollouts or prewiew in a little as 6-x months on a blackberry handheld. Most likely it will be a new devices. From what rim says it looks like all the latest devices will get the qnx. Qnx will allow for better bb as the current generation are so slow due to the architecute of the os. It won't allow to take full advantage of 1ghz processors and so on.

Now the issue is the chipsets. Torch and most other new 3g devices lack open gl hardware onboard, something that qnx boasts to use. So the torch, pearl, and new curve ( excluding their cdma counterparts as qualcomm chisept does have 3D support.) Might get a modded version of qnx, get dropped from the upgrade path (highly unlikely as rim wants to move their 50 mil current subscribers to qnx) or the handheld version will not have flashy graphics. At least at the first feneration release.

10-11-10 02:04 AM
    Like gene said, the torch is 624mhz and the playbook is a dual core ghz.. We won't ever see qnx on a torch.

10-11-10 02:07 AM
    QNX won't make it onto the Torch, but it will make it on future BlackBerries.
    10-11-10 02:46 AM
    We will see it on a torch 2 or torch refresh I am sure. The form factor of this BB really seems to have caught on so I cannot seem them keeping up with it. I would however like them to slow down making all sorts of different style phones and concentrate on making a few good pieces of hardware.
    10-11-10 11:39 AM
    Naahh, I personally believe the Torch won't be able to rock QNX.
    10-11-10 11:55 AM

It will take almost year for OS6 to mature and come to very stable state like OS5 on 9700
    QNX Nutrino....
    RIM will take more one year
    Or
    They will release a series of family (hardware perspective) which will run future BB.
    But 9800 definitely not.
    But if they made it work, it would be wonder.

Last edited by infinus; 10-11-10 at 01:29 PM.
    10-11-10 01:27 PM
    Not going to happen.
    10-11-10 01:28 PM
    I doubt it'll happen.

I remember reading someone from RIM say that OS7 would be a transitional OS between what we're used to and QNX. Assuming that gets released a year from now the earliest we'd see QNX would be two years and that's a very generous guess. I seriously doubt that the Torch will ever see QNX.
    10-11-10 01:39 PM
    We will see it on a torch 2 or torch refresh I am sure. The form factor of this BB really seems to have caught on so I cannot seem them keeping up with it. I would however like them to slow down making all sorts of different style phones and concentrate on making a few good pieces of hardware.
    I agree with Janye. Its inevitable that RIM will ship out its future devices with the QNX os especially if they want it to seemlessy run with the PlayBook, it only makes sense.

I also wish they would slow down spitting out new phones every quarter and just make phones that have flawless OS's. It seems to have worked for Apple. with a gazzillion phones sold in one quarter.
    10-11-10 02:00 PM
    I agree with Janye. Its inevitable that RIM will ship out its future devices with the QNX os especially if they want it to seemlessy run with the PlayBook, it only makes sense.

I also wish they would slow down spitting out new phones every quarter and just make phones that have flawless OS's. It seems to have worked for Apple. with a gazzillion phones sold in one quarter.
    Iphone does not release with a flawless OS... not even close.
    10-11-10 02:03 PM
    I'd very much like to see QNX on a next-generation Torch, or at least something with the same form factor. RIM has all but said that QNX will eventually be on all their phones, and the Torch is being received very well; I can't see it not happening.

Iphone does not release with a flawless OS... not even close.
    You got that right. Guaranteed something gets hosed up on my wife's iPhone every time she gets an OS upgrade. I've done two now on this Torch and one previously on my Bold with zero issues.

I would however like them to slow down making all sorts of different style phones and concentrate on making a few good pieces of hardware.
    That's the problem -- they can't slow down. They're already losing market share to Android-based phones. Things would slip irreversibly for RIM if they didn't keep things fresh very regularly. BB's were among the few devices available with a decent display and a full QWERTY keyboard. They HAD to introduce the Torch, and many still say it falls short compared to some competitors; but I think it was the right step to take, and they can't back off now.

QNX, if it performs as well as expected as an OS, is the next logical leap. And they've got to make it work on every existing form factor, plus whatever new ones they might be dreaming up. Couple that with more potent hardware while not sacrificing battery life, and RIM will most surely continue to be a top player in smart phones for some time.
    10-11-10 02:20 PM
    I doubt that the qnx will be on, simply because of the open gl aspect. Theoretically apart from that I personally do think that torch *might* get it, depending on when the rim will start to roll out the qnx devices. My guess would be that we see QNX preview for back to school next season and have it available for the holiday following season. Sitting with os 6 for over a year will simply bankrupt RIM at this rate, especially after conformation of this move.
    I looked over QNX neutrino and i have some good news
    It should support frequency of 600 to 1 ghz. so torch does meet the bare minimum cpu speed, transitions in the os wont be open gl, it eats power, so that very doubtful they would implement. Torch should be upgraded to qnx if rim follows the plan i described above, which is very likely. It just wont be able to do gaming, software for BB is already fairly fragmented, some apps cant run on all devices, so this wont bring any downward slopping news for the devices as existing consumers are already aware of this. Streamlining does have many benefits, so this is a hit or miss.
    Business direction wise, rim HAS to push out QNX soon otherwise the public would loose faith in the company.

EDIT: Blackberry uses arm v6/v7 architecture.... QNX supports the chip , considering rim will do the optimization for the rest of their hardware, QNX is a go for torch if RIM chooses to put time and recourses into it.
    Last edited by GeneKam; 10-13-10 at 10:28 PM.
    10-13-10 09:16 PM
    A long time ago, in a universe far, far away, I used to develop real time process control applications in QNX. At the time, we were running upwards of 50 different process tasks off ONE original IBM PC. That thing had a CPU that was a 4 Mhz Intel 8088. I remember that QNX could do something like 72K task switches per second on it - blistering performance at the time. It was great for process control where as MS-DOS at the time couldn't do multi-tasking at all (we used to cheat and make it flip to other tasks using device drivers and interrupts under the OS, an approach that we continued to use up through Windows 95). I remember running the entire OS and doing compiles in a RAM drive of 256K... yes, K.

I have no doubt at all that QNX COULD run on a Torch. It runs on much smaller embedded processors than the ARM but will RIM want to spend a bunch of $ porting it back to the Torch so it can support all the old applications as well? That's the big question. I'd love to see them do it (as I just got my torch yesterday) but I have to think that they should really be concentrating on getting the Playbook out the door so I can buy one of those!
    Last edited by mapsonburt; 10-14-10 at 02:17 PM.
    10-14-10 10:30 AM
    Well you are right qnx is powerful and can run on rescourses of the torch. The main thing with qnx is developing compatibility to each device. I do think rim is up to that task and should be able to do it if they wanted to. The app issue is very simple really. Current bb is java so developing java emulator is the solution and as far as I remeber rim did say that its their plan do support legacy apps that way. Apps are not the issue. Its if rim is actually willing to convert older devices to this platform. It looks so far like they are. Looking at the current market, rim unified the device platform pretty well. All the new devices run on the same hardware, torch, pearl 3g etc. The only major difference is the screen and the support of touch. It makes sense for them to do their hardware this way as converting these devices to qnx is going to be very easy, looking as chipset is identical through out the board. However they also enjoy a large order discount by doing this. So its either rim is doing this setup to make the conversion a breeze, or they just love the discount from the chipset manifacturer (marvell in the gsm case) which makes perfect sense from buisness point of view. Or the answer that helps me sleep at night... Its both.

10-15-10 01:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD