The PlayBook could be a great tool for education but there is a huge roadblock. To be useful for testing there has to be a way to lock the screen. Let me explain... If a test was being administered via PlayBook you would want the student to be able to only see the test screen and nothing else. It wouldn't work if a student was able to flip to another screen and browse the internet for answers or view notes or documents. This is a common application for PCs but I haven't seen anything in this direction yet for the PB. Does anyone think this is possible with the current OS?
    05-23-12 07:10 AM
    There's no way to do this. If there was (I'm exploring this in one of my apps), RIM would have to patch it anyway.

I hope RIM considers this for future.
    diegonei likes this.
    05-23-12 07:13 AM
    Well, that's a sad state of affairs. The education market is HUGE when it comes to numbers of devices that could be sold and implemented. It seems everywhere is on the kick to go one to one (one device per student) with an all-around e-reader for text books, web browser, test taker, note taking thing that's portable, smaller than a laptop, bigger than a cell phone and has the price point of the PB.
    05-23-12 07:19 AM
    When we had root access there were files mentioning disabling of gesture controls (which I am guessing is the bezel swipes?). So it appears that its possible, though at this point only RIM has access to it.

Xsacha, could the applications be removed manually? Leaving only the desired application able to be run? Or would this (as is common on BBOS devices) cripple the OS to the point where it wouldnt work?

Another possibility would be to use BlackBerry Mobile Fusion to manage the devices. have this test application be considered a peronal application, and have the note taking, etc apps all be work apps. dont give the students the password and they wont be able to unlock the apps for use.
    05-23-12 07:19 AM
    I'm working with beta Fusion and PB OS now. I was thinking along the same lines but it sure seems like a convoluted path. Gonna have to poke a lot more.
    05-23-12 07:25 AM
    I'm working with beta Fusion and PB OS now. I was thinking along the same lines but it sure seems like a convoluted path. Gonna have to poke a lot more.
    Isnt Fusion live as a release now?
    And you should be able to 'tag' an app as work related. If the students need access to those apps give them the password then change it when test time comes. It actually would make it more secure than just disabling the screen (there are ways around simple software disabling like that).
    05-23-12 07:29 AM
    Fusion is live now, but there's always a newer release around the corner. Good thoughts... it may not be as easy as that. Some testing is done online so it's not an app, per se.
    05-23-12 07:32 AM
    You could create a webworks web launcher. Then you could tag the standard browser as an app and lock it out. There would be no URL bar for them to launch any additional tabs or websites for 'cheating' purposes.
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 05-23-12 at 07:42 AM.
    05-23-12 07:39 AM
    Update: I have a working Proof Of Concept that blocks bezel gestures. Anyone want to test it out?
    05-23-12 07:50 AM
    Update: I have a working Proof Of Concept that blocks bezel gestures. Anyone want to test it out?
    Is there an exit button? haha
    05-23-12 07:54 AM
    Is there an exit button? haha
    There is now an exit button.

Here, I made a thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=7412305

This method is pretty damn good, I must say.
    Last edited by xsacha; 05-23-12 at 08:39 AM.
    diegonei likes this.
    05-23-12 07:56 AM
    The PlayBook could be a great tool for education but there is a huge roadblock. To be useful for testing there has to be a way to lock the screen. Let me explain... If a test was being administered via PlayBook you would want the student to be able to only see the test screen and nothing else. It wouldn't work if a student was able to flip to another screen and browse the internet for answers or view notes or documents. This is a common application for PCs but I haven't seen anything in this direction yet for the PB. Does anyone think this is possible with the current OS?
    Basically, what you are asking for is kiosk mode. I don't see why RIM can't put this feature in. You can make a feature request ticket in the DevZone.
    05-23-12 08:21 AM
    what you want here is a "kiosk" mode environment. (someone beat me to it)

to make this happen; the navigator application would need to be terminated and your own application would need to be executing in exclusive mode. very unlikely in the current builds of the operating.. alternatively; what about implementing a hook for gestures and capturing them before the OS does?

Code:
    // initialize
    set = gestures_set_alloc();
    swipe_gesture_alloc(..., set)

// handle screen event (mtouch)
    gestures_set_process_event(..)

// terminate
    gestures_set_free(set)
    the mtouch events exceed the boundaries of the display window (- and +) which is how the OS does this.. so, may be possible to do something with the above functions - by registering for swipe events; you may be able to override the navigator.

just an idea - but, i haven't tested it
    Last edited by mobile1up; 05-23-12 at 08:33 AM.
    05-23-12 08:30 AM
    The first question that came to mind is, why use the students' playbooks for this purpose? What if the students refuse to buy a PlayBook? What if they want to use Android tablets or iPads?

It seems to me that if a school wants to administer tests this way, the PlayBooks should belong to the school, not the students. In that case, you can do whatever you want with the playbook, even shutting out all radios.
    05-23-12 08:39 AM
    Thanks to OP for inspiring me to find a method to do this.
    Unfortunately, RIM will likely block my method which also blocks several other important features that come with it (which I just discovered).
    05-23-12 08:40 AM
    Thanks to OP for inspiring me to find a method to do this.
    Unfortunately, RIM will likely block my method which also blocks several other important features that come with it (which I just discovered).
    Kiosk mode on the PlayBook should be supported by RIM. We just need to gather some steam to convince some RIM execs with power of influence that there is a market for this (in education or otherwise).
    05-23-12 08:45 AM
    The first question that came to mind is, why use the students' playbooks for this purpose? What if the students refuse to buy a PlayBook? What if they want to use Android tablets or iPads?

It seems to me that if a school wants to administer tests this way, the PlayBooks should belong to the school, not the students. In that case, you can do whatever you want with the playbook, even shutting out all radios.
    In this situation the PBs would be school owned and issued to each student. There are further uses such as eTextbooks and project collaboration. iPads have already been disallowed for testing purposes here.
    05-23-12 09:01 AM
    Did you just whip this up on your coffee break? I am impressed.

I'm making time to test this here today. Thanks!
    05-23-12 09:08 AM
    In this situation the PBs would be school owned and issued to each student. There are further uses such as eTextbooks and project collaboration. iPads have already been disallowed for testing purposes here.
    Don't iPads have kiosk mode?

Yes. School-owned tablets can be used as eTextbooks. So basically, if students are given PlayBooks, they don't have to lug around books and laptops.

I'm sure if you can get a school board to approach RIM about this, they'll listen.
    05-23-12 09:14 AM
    Yes. School-owned tablets can be used as eTextbooks. So basically, if students are given PlayBooks, they don't have to lug around books and laptops.

I'm sure if you can get a school board to approach RIM about this, they'll listen.

So, picture this: A student signs up for 6 classes for the semester. At the beginning of that semester they are issued a PB, already pre-loaded with all the text books and materials needed for each of those classes. The browser has all the links to each teacher's intranet space for homework assignments to download as needed. The assignments are then uploaded and processed by the teacher. Tests are performed on the PB, with instant grading and tabulation. All of these things are possible, but they are not all available on the platform at this time in a usable form.

We have talked to RIM and are testing some stuff now that doesn't exist. Still, I don't think they truly grasp the foundational truths of technology in the classroom just yet.
    05-23-12 09:25 AM
    We have talked to RIM and are testing some stuff now that doesn't exist. Still, I don't think they truly grasp the foundational truths of technology in the classroom just yet.
    In my opinion, hardly anyone in the corporate world does.
    05-23-12 09:29 AM
    A great many jurisdictions are already giving devices to students, for the sake of maintaining a consistent platform.

Much of what you want to do here is completely doable via Fusion, and via the school network. I would say, though, that the school can maintain more complete control for exams by having students use school-owned (and regulated, and wire-line connected) terminals.
    05-23-12 09:30 AM
    Trucky, PM me please
    05-23-12 09:47 AM
    A great many jurisdictions are already giving devices to students, for the sake of maintaining a consistent platform.

Much of what you want to do here is completely doable via Fusion, and via the school network. I would say, though, that the school can maintain more complete control for exams by having students use school-owned (and regulated, and wire-line connected) terminals.
    But I think it is good to be able to let students take the devices home as well.

Device Service on the PlayBook is really great. RIM should tap the education market. But it seems like they're too busy with BB10 right now.
    05-23-12 09:58 AM
    But I think it is good to be able to let students take the devices home as well.

Device Service on the PlayBook is really great. RIM should tap the education market. But it seems like they're too busy with BB10 right now.
    RIM has launched several pilot programs with schools. You just have to know where to look AND who to talk to.
    05-23-12 10:01 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD