Road trip!!

Attachment 176963
    Post of the day goes to you!

"He was a beastly, bulging man."
    06-28-13 11:27 AM
    Sorry for being such an anal about the current BBRY, but...
    I did not have a misfortune of having a PB, so it does not bother me much about the possible demise of it.

But this causes me to worry even more about the BBRY's ability to bring the BB10 devices to an acceptable level. I am not a developer and know very little about how any software platform architecture is developed.
    I was indeed hyped up by the BB10 promotion, and bought a BBQ10 when it was launched in Canada. But I returned it in 2 days, and continued using the Bold 9900 "for now". I have not given up on BBRY, not as yet, and decided to give another 6 months or so before the Q10 would be updated enough to become usable without major glitches.

What worries me is this.

1. There might be something fundamentally difficult to adapt the QNX to a small handheld device. I do not need those bravadoes such as QNX runs nuclear plants etc. When PB, after a long labour pain, was finally launched, it did not even have the very basic PIMs (email, contacts, calendar etc)! How audacious was it! But it at least forced them to create a "bridge" thing with all sorts of excuses why the PB did not need those PIM's and they even went on to say that it was to keep the tight security (not leaving anything personal on a PB). But the elephant was in the room already.

2. After they promoted that the launch of BB10 was imminent (last summer or fall?), they abruptly told the market that it would be delayed until the 1st quarter of 2013. We reluctantly accepted it because the excuse was to take enough time to reasonably complete the BB10 before launch, not repeating the past mistakes. Fine, OK, We'll swallow it, but come up with a good one!

3. When they did launch the BB10 devices, it was apparently not for a prime time (appeared so, at least to me). I think I can pretty well distinguish between early phase bugs and the total and glaring omissions etc. Can you imagine what the status of the BB10 would have been when RIM was talking about the imminent launch of the BB10 last summer? Very irresponsible.

I care less about the PB, but I sure hope that BBRY is not tossing and turning in excruciating pain to polish up the BB10. That's all I am concerned about now. I WILL wait for another 6 months or so.
    Last edited by xanadome; 06-28-13 at 12:00 PM.
    web99 likes this.
    06-28-13 11:31 AM
    Well, just checking price for recycling the Playbook it's about �56.00 in the UK, might just get rid of the two I've got. I suppose they are worth as much as Thorsten Heins word as a CEO.
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    06-28-13 11:32 AM
    Actually I do not have a problem with that. I don't need the whole BB10 on my playbook, BUT I do need updated core apps. Browser and PIM. And I need them soon.

Posted via CB10
    BB12MX and look_alive like this.
    06-28-13 11:33 AM
    Like you my PB is now used primarily as a Music Player, we use it when camping, working outside, etc. It is a shame because I really liked using it with my BB, but now with Bridge broken, that is all the use it gets.

I think for a 100 bucks or less which is what they are costing now used in great condition, they make a great media player.

I am however thoroughly disgusted with the decision to not bring BB10 to the playbook, I understand the business decision they made, I just think they made the wrong one, as someone else stated even very old Iphones get the latest software and they just turn off a few features. They should have stated what the future upgrade plans are other than just a comment about we will support it, what does that mean.

Just bought two Z10's when they first arrived in Canada, with the hope of an ecosystem, same apps on PB as on Phone, Bridge, etc, but nope got skewered. I really think they lost of peoples trust on this one.................
    Yup, 7" MP3 player, e-book reader, and movie viewer. That's all it is now.
    schmeat, Carl Estes and look_alive like this.
    06-28-13 11:37 AM
    If you really think about it the current Playbook hardware (at least the ram) will not run the OS very well. It would be a nightmare all over again. If it would have had 2 GB ram to begin with it would probably work well with OS10. I think this should be understood. I was a good call on Rim not to release it if it make the performance even worse or just par to what it was.
    06-28-13 11:38 AM
    Well, just checking price for recycling the Playbook it's about �56.00 in the UK, might just get rid of the two I've got. I suppose they are worth as much as Thorsten Heins word as a CEO.
    I, for one, am hoping the price absolutely plummets - if ever I felt like being able to pick one up from a song, from some petulant owner, I've got a greater chance now!
    06-28-13 11:38 AM
    I don't get it folks have been singing praises for the Playbook, and now it sucks?!

I just don't get peoples mindless rants about not getting free upgrades on products that worked fine.

=X=
    06-28-13 11:40 AM
    Yeah, many of us got had by BlackBerry. They wanted to get rid of their inventory and lied about it being BB10 compatible and upgradable. On the plus side, even though they did screw at least a million of their customers, their stocks fell 26% and their phones aren't selling well at all. So we all can be happy that they too got f'd. Maybe they will fire their CEO and try to be customer centric again.
    06-28-13 11:43 AM
    My friends original I pad is running strong on its 1 gb ram, app ecosystem and OS support......

Z10 Rocking 10.2.0.341
    06-28-13 11:45 AM
    No, but I am sensing a trend.............

C
    Scary - but did you buy a Z10 or a Q10? Signs of things to come?
    06-28-13 11:46 AM
    If BB would just update the PB , give it BBM, fix the bridge issues so it would work properly with BB10, update the browser and native Email app so they are smoother, I might get another BB product. My curent contract is up at the end of the year and if can not get the Bridge to work properly with a BB10 product then I will not be getting a BB probably go Android, (defiantly for the wife) maybe a Windows 8 phone.
    Right now I use my PB every day at work, bridging it to my 9900 and its great tool out in the field., If not the PB will just become a media player.
    Little PO'd about this as I did talk quite a few people into buying PB saying the new BB operating system will be coming to it. Make's me look like a $hit also, not as BIG as a $hit as Heins mind you, he has lost all credability as far as I'm concerned.
    playbook_swiper1 and Puddin13 like this.
    06-28-13 11:51 AM
    Look what I found at Goodwill in the $10 bin alongside some 8-tracks, cabbage patch dolls and a furby ...
    A new Furby will probably fetch more than a new PlayBook now.
    06-28-13 11:52 AM
    My friends original I pad is running strong on its 1 gb ram, app ecosystem and OS support......

Z10 Rocking 10.2.0.341
    The original ipad had 256 MB.
    Ipad 2 received ios6.
    The playbook gets the finger.
    06-28-13 11:54 AM
    On the plus side, even though they did screw at least a million of their customers, their stocks fell 26% and their phones aren't selling well at all. So we all can be happy that they too got f'd.
    Hahaha, you expressed your mind so well! LOL
    06-28-13 11:54 AM
    A new Furby will probably fetch more than a new PlayBook now.
    Sounds great to me - burn, baby, burn...

Let's hear and see more of these PlayBooks being sold at truly rock bottom prices.
    06-28-13 11:56 AM
    Carphone Warehouse will give you the princely sum of �16.51 if you trade in a 64gb Playbook (�14 for the 16gb!). Me? I'm putting mine in the cupboard with the my Dreamcast, Saturn, Lynx, ST, Betamax etc
    Last edited by bozvandam; 06-28-13 at 02:48 PM.
    xanderten50, JeepBB and SuperAxino like this.
    06-28-13 11:56 AM
    I would be happy with just an upgrade...a browser upgrade first and foremost..but I do feel like others here, not worth pursuing a bb phone anymore..I hate the idea of switching to Android but it leaves you with no other choice.
    06-28-13 11:58 AM
    Well i knew someone would come out and correct something, all I know us that he has an I pad with non front camera and the rest I wrote stays the same....

Z10 Rocking 10.2.0.341
    06-28-13 11:58 AM
    Down 24.8% as of this time (9:59 PST)
    06-28-13 11:59 AM
    Down 24.8% as of this time (9:59 PST)
    Now I wish Bb just dies
    06-28-13 12:02 PM
    Well i knew someone would come out and correct something, all I know us that he has an I pad with non front camera and the rest I wrote stays the same....

Z10 Rocking 10.2.0.341
    The ipad1 had no camera. All the others have front and rear cameras.
    Ipad1 has 256, ipad2 512 mb ram.
    Ipad mini has 512 mb and will get ios7.

Only a pathetic excuse of a mobile os requires 2gb ram I guess.
    06-28-13 12:03 PM
    Wow, that makes everything even more sad.(i guess i was giving even more credit to I pad, shows what I know lol)
    +1 for Op...

Z10 Rocking 10.2.0.341
    06-28-13 12:07 PM
    Now I wish Bb just dies
    GOOD! Muahah.
    Dr_Acula likes this.
    06-28-13 12:07 PM
    I think this announcement hit the early adopters and loyalist a lot harder. They were expecting , either implied or promised, better core functionalities and apps for the Playbook. Most were patiently waiting on the side lines as BB shifted their attention to launch BB10. Most were also a big promoters and defenders of the Playbook and BB brand. Now they felt let down.

Had Thor said, "Sorry we made a mistake and it turned out that the Playbook did not have enough power to run BB10. But for our loyal supporters who help us alpha test BB10 on the Playbook and to drum up support from the developers for the pass two years, we are offering a $150 trade in value of your PB on any new BB products".
    This might sit a little better with PB owners, BB fans, current and future BB customers and developers.

Oh BTW - Don't expect any updates or new apps in BB world for the PB.
    06-28-13 12:10 PM
709 ... 678910 ...