As soon as it was posted to CrackBerry that BB10 required at least 1.5GB RAM, and that Wi-Fi only Playbooks had only 1GB, this was the inescapable outcome.

I bought my Playbook a few months after launch, so I didn't get it with the expectation of it having BB10. So, while this news is disappointing, it really doesn't affect me - the device is still perfectly good for what I use it for (viewing spreadsheets at work, occasionally browsing the internet). It would be nice if I could email from the damn thing without using Wi-Fi, like I could before BB10.

I had a Storm2 previously, and the same thing happened - RIM equivocated on whether it would get OS 6, and then never delivered it. This is how they roll, I guess. The biggest issue the company seems to have with its hardware is that it makes the specs just enough to run the OS shipped with the device, and no more.

I will say that for the first time ever I am wishing I could trade in the Playbook/Z10 combo for a Surface/Lumia 920.
    Puddin13 and BB12MX like this.
    06-28-13 08:56 AM
    Not surprised at all. The writing was on the wall for months now. And with that, I'm done...I'll still use my PB from time to time, but for now, my focus is on Windows 8.1 running on my Envy x2. In fact, the only thing that might bring me back here in the near term is Origami Browser. The "big renege" (as I will forever call this bass-ackward decision) has given pcshun's project a bit more urgency. But otherwise, it's time to pull an Andrea Bocelli and "say goodbye..."

RCK
    CairnsRock and Puddin13 like this.
    06-28-13 08:58 AM
    I've never been one to have any major gripes with how the Playbook is currently set up (UI & all...well browser I dislike to an extent) but this feels like a slap in the face. I would have been more than fine if Blackberry had come out and said "No, at this time we are no longer supporting the Playbook and will not be pushing BB10 on the platform." . This now just feels like a pathetic cash grab attempt to move Playbooks. I'm not an apologist for Berry, but I generally stick up for their products and persuaded various family and friends to grab a Playbook when it went cheap (some of whom did so for BB10). Thanks a lot Blackberry !
    Carl Estes, schmeat and Puddin13 like this.
    06-28-13 08:59 AM
    The biggest thing is we finally got the answer we were starving for the past several months, albeit not the answer we wanted. Disappointing yes, but at least it's a confirmation instead of a vague sidestep. And at least they've stated they'll continue support.
    pallox likes this.
    06-28-13 09:00 AM
    Guys, it's two year-old hardware. I believe them when they say BB10 doesn't run well on PlayBook. I was actually more confused when they announced they couldn't get legacy BB apps on PlayBook.
    Simon, I really respect you, but this is absolutely false. Everybody saw the "experiment" (made by a certain Kyle, am I right?), a BB OS 10 on PlayBook: it worked, without any type of optimization, so it was possible for the OS to fit on the PlayBook. You know that the CPU is not a problem (almost the same as Q5, the LTE PlayBook got a 1,5 Ghz Dual Core...), screen and camera are not inferior to other devices, the only "problem" could have been the RAM, so stop saying "it's two year-old hardware". RIM had the possibility to give it to us, but they simply think that they can betray their users without consequences. I know that you have to defend RIM, but it is impossible now. I won't buy another BlackBerry device because I can't trust them. Apple at least announces months before what devices an update will support...

@DurdenLunarius , the fact that they'll continue support simply means that if you call the customer service they won't reply "da f**k is that Playbook?" to you.
    06-28-13 09:02 AM
    I figured it wouldn't get it but I'm happy with my z10

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 09:03 AM
    06-28-13 09:03 AM
    I didnt quite understand why would you paste the link to this article here. I think most people have read this. Is Simon going to make some additions to the article to calm down the people here?

06-28-13 09:13 AM
    Oh well. Now i have to decide if my next phone is going to be running IOS or windows mobile. Cant support a company that doesnt care about its customers.
    either of them would be better than bb.
    LudwigvonKast and brianatbb like this.
    06-28-13 09:13 AM
    If Blackberry were to consider this logically, the would know to at the very least release an update, that included patches for at the very least browser, and android run time.
    06-28-13 09:16 AM
    You were lied to.

"Yes, we have teams working on BB10 for the PlayBook. " Thornton Heins March 8, 2013
    Yeah, still can't believe it.

Posted via my z10 - BBM channel pin C000F331C
    LudwigvonKast and Puddin13 like this.
    06-28-13 09:17 AM
    As soon as it was posted to CrackBerry that BB10 required at least 1.5GB RAM, and that Wi-Fi only Playbooks had only 1GB, this was the inescapable outcome.
    ALL PlayBooks only have 1G of RAM.

The 4G / LTE models have faster CPUs.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    06-28-13 09:17 AM
    Don't sell today; stock is getting killed!
    $10.48

lol wheres all the i support blackberry....posts....
    06-28-13 09:20 AM
    either of them would be better than bb.
    iOS of course, they are the leaders, carriers are dancing to their music, and they have all developers at their feet, did you already seen a major app being released on WP/Andro and not iOS, not me, I've seen the contrary but not this.
    06-28-13 09:21 AM
    $10.48

in the BBRY section
    06-28-13 09:22 AM
    $10.48

Kind of hard to at this time. Just feeling MAJOR BUMMED................

C
    06-28-13 09:23 AM
    $10.48

Selling the their shares before it's too late (but it is already too late)
    06-28-13 09:26 AM
    The real question.... Will this "under performing" BB10 prototype for PB ever be leaked???????? Let us decide if we want the lag from lack of RAM or a PB 2.0 OS that is dead ended in apps and development... Personally, without having tested the lag or any experience with the Dev Alpha... I would say I want the lag....
    My friend the real question i want to ask you.....if they lied about bb10 coming to playbook...WHY would you believe they even have that for playbook....its not like they haven't released 'under performing ' operating systems before.........They did when they first rolled out the playbook...

They lied......They're still lying now....
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    06-28-13 09:26 AM
    And at least they've stated they'll continue support.
    You really fuc%in believe that they will continue to support the PB in its current form? They stated we would get BB10, look how that has panned out. Fuc% BlackBerry.
    playbook_swiper1 likes this.
    06-28-13 09:27 AM
    Because no other OEM has ever turned their back on a product???

Take a step back and breathe everyone...
    You're missing the point.
    Yes, BlackBerry did lie to Playbook owners by telling us that all tablets, future and existing, would receive BB10 sometime this year (2013).
    Thor made that promise about the time the Z10 and future Q10 devices were announced. It's obvious now that the promise was made so potential Z10 and Q10 buyers would see what a great company BlackBerry was. They were promising to continue development on a product that many consider dead.
    There was never a reason to make the promise in the first place. It was either done purposely to deceive people at the time or done without knowing if they could fulfil it or not. Either way it's very unprofessional and shows what type of company BlackBerry has become.

I personally didn't care if BB10 ever came to the Playbook but I do not like being lied to.
    The Z10 was going to be my next phone. I'm not sure it will be now. The only reason I was leaning toward the Z10 was the promise of how well Balance would work. I don't trust the hype now.
    I am not foolish enough to think that my decision will have any effect on BlackBerry but I can't support a company that seems to be trying so hard to alienate it's supporters.
    No BB10 for playbook, earnings down after new devices .....
    The future not so rosey any more
    superfleemonkey and Puddin13 like this.
    I understand why everyone's upset. It's really the principle that was violated that has everyone all rattled. That BB10 would be on PlayBook.

However I can't be ignorant of the fact that my hardware is 2 years old and I expect a new os that's relatively new to come full fledge to my ancient tablet? This is where my reasoning overrides my being upset at being lied to. I have a 16 & 32 that I bought at full price when just launched.

I started loosing value of PlayBook when I upgraded from 9900 to Z10 which to me is whack...stupid broken bridge.

I just hope that since there will still be support after this fiasco simmers down most of us will be happy with an upgraded web browser and bridge for our BB10 devices at the very very least!

Hope your listening BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    dwatts26726 likes this.
    The best revenge that can happen is for someone to crack the bootloader so that we can load what we want on it, and to prove that its not as secure as they thought it was. Think of all those playbooks sold to municipalities as super secure, what are they gonna wanna due to their PB`s if they are hackable.
    Getting blatantly lied to at the beginning of the year is not acceptable, I will be turning my back on BlackBerry now.
    At one time I had most of my office using curves and bolds and helped them with issues etc before BlackBerry fell way behind.
    Second chance gone now, will enjoy the pb for wot it is and in the bin it goes when I have money to replace it!

Sent from my LT26i using CB Forums mobile app
    06-28-13 09:28 AM
    ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    06-28-13 09:28 AM
709 12345 ...