This is an easy one. Most Android devices, including tablets, smartphones, and so on, are complete turds. A BlackBerry PlayBook is built in-house, much like an Apple product, and therefore hardware is built to match software. Android is similar to Windows in that it is made to run on all sorts of configurations and manufacturers, but that's actually a weakness more than a strength. I wrote an entire college essay on this (got an A on it), and it's a fact more than an opinion. Hardware failure rates, software lockups, and compatibility issues all exist in universal OS ecosystems. A PlayBook has only the ability to emulate an Android app through an included player; the hardware and OS are far more efficient and stable, not to mention secure. That's why we BlackBerry owners sideload. I'd rather put a nice radio in a Porsche than lipstick on a pig.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 11:21 PM
    First let me say I haven't read this whole thread yet. I was looking for a thread to vent a little on this subject and found a common theme among the moderators. It appears they cut off any related discussions and closed the threads thus directing all us "whiners" to the same thread. So here is my 2 cents. Still using my PB. Still like my bridge integration to my Torch. Wanted a Z10 then a Q10 then just a 10 on my PB. Now I want an A10 but so far I can't have any of these yet because I'm with Sprint Oh, and all the hype at the beginning of the year had me going too. Although I actually logically understand Thor's decision regarding PB 10, I still feel like a BB victim. I'm a long time user and supporter of BB owning two models before I got my first curve. Ok, all that said to say this. . . I don't think a customer should feel like a victim of the product and service they use. I don't think a customer should ever feel duped by marketing. I don't think a customer should be misled. I don't think information should have to be spun to make us feel better or make us want a particular product or service. It's either a good product and functions well for our needs, (mine is 90% biz), or it doesn't. I am sticking with my "old" PB and my old 7 Torch until all this crap is sorted out or until someone makes a better integrated seamless product to suit my needs. Thanks everyone. I feel a little better.
    Ragwan likes this.
    07-12-13 11:44 PM
    First let me say I haven't read this whole thread yet. I was looking for a thread to vent a little on this subject and found a common theme among the moderators. It appears they cut off any related discussions and closed the threads thus directing all us "whiners" to the same thread. So here is my 2 cents. Still using my PB. Still like my bridge integration to my Torch. Wanted a Z10 then a Q10 then just a 10 on my PB. Now I want an A10 but so far I can't have any of these yet because I'm with Sprint Oh, and all the hype at the beginning of the year had me going too. Although I actually logically understand Thor's decision regarding PB 10, I still feel like a BB victim. I'm a long time user and supporter of BB owning two models before I got my first curve. Ok, all that said to say this. . . I don't think a customer should feel like a victim of the product and service they use. I don't think a customer should ever feel duped by marketing. I don't think a customer should be misled. I don't think information should have to be spun to make us feel better or make us want a particular product or service. It's either a good product and functions well for our needs, (mine is 90% biz), or it doesn't. I am sticking with my "old" PB and my old 7 Torch until all this crap is sorted out or until someone makes a better integrated seamless product to suit my needs. Thanks everyone. I feel a little better.
    Good post. I feel very much like this also.
    07-13-13 12:15 AM
    Just curious,
    How would rate the Android powered devices vs PlayBook on the ease of acquiring apps, price to value ratio, etc?
    How many apps did you have to SIDELOAD?
    How much time if you had to guess have you spent on the PlayBook to get it to do basic things, vs how long on a Android powered device?
    *I'm not a Android fanboy, just impressed by the easy of acquiring apps... Each time my wife / kids want a app it's a nightmare on the PlayBook.

Each time I've looked for a app on BlackBerry's "App World" I noticed on the "App World" there's not a huge choice of apps to pick from within a category and most of time I get no hits at all. Conversely searching for apps for a Android device will bring up numerous "hits' on just about anything you're looking for.

If you have a Android powered device there's tons of apps to choose from on Google Play, the Amazon app store, or other places on the net. Additionally your stock broker, banker, doctor, real-estate sites all have "Android" apps that with just a couple of mouse clicks can be installed on a Android tablet. (EG: Most everyone you do business with has apps for Android, Apple, and or the latest version of Windows Mobile.)

If I had to put a number on it for every (1) app listed on App World (Most being quickly done Android ports to gain a quick buck) there will be 30-40 +apps within that category to pick from for a Android device.
    (Before someone states alot of apps are crap- yes you are correct, the point is if that (1) app listed on App World doesn't work, or doesn't work out for you your STUCK, unless you go thru the convoluted process of "Side-Loading".)

PS:
    Before you rate- and this is a consideration in the consumer market assume the customer does NOT have a BlackBerry phone. Most are going to have a Android, Apple, or Windows phone.

Additionally figure in the Wife/kid approval factor in that Wife and kids WANT THE APP THEY WANT and no second rate app is going to satisfy them.
    I don't have any sideloaded apps on my PlayBooks. Going back a little, I did have the official podcast app sideloaded (it wasn't available in the UK during the time I've had my PlayBooks) but some time back I did a wipe and reinstall on my main PlayBook and didn't bother re-adding it again, as I was only using it very occasionally.

As to ease of getting apps on either Android or PlayBook, well my two Android tablets, although decent spec, didn't come with market / Google Play as stock. I had to root them and manually install it. Plus heralding from much the same era as the PlayBook, the version of Android is rather aging - but is as stable as they've ever been (read: not as stable as the PlayBook, though) and performs well - I did try several custom roms with later Android versions and although slicker and nicer to use, couldn't compete with the last incarnation of their stock rom in terms of stability and performance. So availability of apps within Google Play can be restricted by device fingerprint, plus Android version - but given my Android tablets are contemporaries of the PlayBook in terms of when they were released / sold, it's probably a reasonable comparison. There is more choice of apps within Google Play for my devices compared with my PlayBooks and BlackBerry World, but personally the major omission for me is Kindle (and to a lesser degree Skype).

As to other family members, they have their own devices, so not a concern for my own choice. Outside of, say, two key omissions for me, my PlayBooks satisfy my needs for tablets pretty well and for the foreseeable. On a tablet, so long as my main bases are covered, I don't have a changing or growing need for apps. Web, webmail, music, video, internet radio, weather app, Evernote and the odd cloud storage thing like Box, occasional Zinio and Overdrive Media Console, and I'm happy.
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    07-13-13 02:31 AM
    A PlayBook has only the ability to emulate an Android app through an included player; the hardware and OS are far more efficient and stable, not to mention secure. That's why we BlackBerry owners sideload. I'd rather put a nice radio in a Porsche than lipstick on a pig. Posted via CB10
    You mean putting a pig in a Porshe with flat tyres and a missing steering wheel?
    Not even a pig enjoys it
    07-13-13 04:33 AM
    Every Android tablet is a pig with lipstick on it. Some are real pretty on the outside, with looks, features, and specs on paper that stomp the competition, but inside, the OS is unstable and a malware magnet. The reason all the apps go to Android first is because it's quick and cheap, and any old a-hole app can get into the market. If you are reading this, then you made the decision to hold yourself to a higher standard and give yourself the best. I am BlackBerry through and through, but they earned my support through good hardware and top notch security. Keep in mind that you all are expecting an enterprise hardware company to turn into a consumer sector hardware company with full tilt gaming and convenience overnight, and it's not going to happen. The PlayBook is spectacular as it is, and sideload allows you to expand on the fun side of things, but it's a business tool at heart. Just keep in mind that BlackBerry is fully aware of the Chrome PlayBook Extension, and since it requires no root, maintains this loophole so that we can add apps where developers won't. If that isn't a Porsche type deal, then I don't know what is. There are two PlayBooks in my house, and I'm hunting down a third. It will take YEARS before people figure out what a marvel it really was, and I'm gonna take advantage of that until then.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 09:21 AM
    Yeah
    Android malware and BB security.
    Let's sideload android malware into BB PB with ancient, full of security bugs android version.
    Makes sense

If android tablets were pig with a lipstick
    ipad would be just a lipstick
    and Deadbook just a pig
    07-13-13 01:55 PM
    Are you all still crying over this? Get over it.

Sorry, I'm saying that a lot today lol. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it or don't care but it's a dead horse.
    07-13-13 02:04 PM
    Or, sideload Android apps not full of malware into a PlayBook for extended entertainment purposes, which requires no root or jailbreak and will not affect the security or stability of the OS, and have the option to harmlessly remove sideloads with no damaging effects. This way, you don't buy a piece of turd Android device with its misfiring OS and still get to feel proud about owning a fine example of Canadian tech. I think the issue here is that either you don't own a PlayBook or have never owned one long enough to really appreciate it. Maybe you're an Android or Apple fanboy, and that's fine too, but when you're in my house, you're sitting on my furniture, so keep your feet off of it. There are plenty of places you can go to spank BlackBerry all you want; the difference here is that we only spank for pleasure.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 03:34 PM
    hold yourself to a higher standard and give yourself the best.

The PlayBook is spectacular as it is

Posted via CB10

You live in parallel world
    07-13-13 05:55 PM
    I live in a world free from fashion trends and playing follow the leader.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 07:59 PM
    This is an easy one. Most Android devices, including tablets, smartphones, and so on, are complete turds. A BlackBerry PlayBook is built in-house, much like an Apple product, and therefore hardware is built to match software. Android is similar to Windows in that it is made to run on all sorts of configurations and manufacturers, but that's actually a weakness more than a strength. I wrote an entire college essay on this (got an A on it), and it's a fact more than an opinion. Hardware failure rates, software lockups, and compatibility issues all exist in universal OS ecosystems. A PlayBook has only the ability to emulate an Android app through an included player; the hardware and OS are far more efficient and stable, not to mention secure. That's why we BlackBerry owners sideload. I'd rather put a nice radio in a Porsche than lipstick on a pig.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know if you were responding to my post or not. I agree with you 110% that a purpose built device in which the ODM is in control of the hardware and the OS is going to be more stable.

Point I was trying to make as a CONSUMER, not a BUSINESS, or device for GOVERNMENT use the PlayBook was /is a commercial FLOP. The device was a failure as a CONSUMER device in which the majority of people are not going to be happy with the device as shipped, or be happy with the app selection via "App World".
    Additionally the bulk of consumers and *Business types are not going to go thru the convoluted process of side-loading apps.

*Business types are not going to side load as they fear being reported for software piracy. (Have you seen the commercials on TV saying to call 1-800 to report such?) No business owner wants to get the the software piracy monkey thrown on their back.

The main strength of the PlayBook from the typical consumer /home usage perspective due to the very poor "App World" app selection is the ablity to "Side-Load". Since BB has not updated the 2.3 Android runtime to 4.xxx you are restricted to older apps, hence why I'm so irritated about no BB10, (or some kind of variation) as promised by the CEO of BlackBerry on mulitple occasions.
    07-14-13 12:56 AM
    No, WeAreNotAlone. I was just having some fun with msps. But you had a valid and coherent argument; BlackBerry fumbled the ball and pissed all over it when they marketed the PlayBook. It really is a good tablet, and Kevin will tell you that no one had it in for Heinzy over the denial of the BB10 update quite like I did. Without the update, and at current specs, it stomps the nuts of most new Android tablets easily. It was built really well with top of the line components at the time. Lazaridis was trying to future proof it, which was why the price tag was so high at first. What's done is done, but make no mistake about it, the PlayBook is still a force to be reckoned with and I wouldn't sell either of mine. Maybe a trade in with BlackBerry for a newer BB10 version, but that's about it.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 01:46 AM
    A side note; anyone who has not played CreaVures on the PlayBook needs to. The graphics and music are insane. Plus, Slacker radio on the PlayBook plus the BlackBerry Music Gateway equals house party! There's even more fun stuff than that which I'm sure most people have not tried yet. If it's not popular, then no one gives a ****, and so goes the story of The BlackBerry PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 01:52 AM
    I got myself a Z10 on the 5th of February earlier and I've been struck by the similarity in design between the Z10 and the Playbook. As far as I can see, the Z10 is a miniature PlayBook designed to be used in portrait mode which makes phone calls...AND has BB10.

So, I'm thinking I'll wait for the A10 and it's larger screen, buy it unlocked, and use it via wifi.
    Tada! Instant smaller playbook with BB10...I think.

Yes, it will cost a bucket of duckets compared to the fire sale prices of the original playbook,but not much more (I hope) than the original price when it was first released.
    And I think my playbook is worth that price, though I bought it for much less.

My only concern is getting updates. If my phone is not affiliated with any carrier will Bbry push them to me over wifi, or will I be SOL? We shall see.

Anyway, that's my plan for now. It could change. Especially if the rumored sixth Bbry device is a "dummy tablet" I can run from my Z10

Blue quillk
    07-14-13 08:23 AM
    Even if Aristo is suppose to be the future of playbook, it's still 2 inch shorter than what I desire. Despite the broken bridge to Z10, I find myself increasingly use my playbook to read my email and browse the internet during commute. Until the playbook dies, I' m not looking forward to getting another tablet.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 08:30 AM
    This thread is on post #666, that's the devils work, can we finally close it now..?

Confirmed: No BB10 for PlayBook-img_00002168.png

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 10:42 AM
    Your post made it 667. Now we can't.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 12:14 PM
    668 and counting

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 10:21 PM
    This thread is on post #666, that's the devils work, can we finally close it now..?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00002168.png 
Views:	579 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	182522

Posted via CB10
    If you and or any of the "shills" that are trying to marginalize anything negative about BlackBerry, or the fanboys here will send me a CERTIFIED check (for personal not business purchases) for the $4,000 worth of BlackBerry product I purchased based upon statements made on multiple occasions by the CEO of RIM/ BlackBerry stating ALL Playbooks would be getting a upgrade to BB10 OS sure. Once the check clears close the thread... I guess I can make a exception in this case and instead of being a man of principle, man of honor, integrity, one who stays true to their word just look at the bottom line as it seems to be the case with those running BlackBerry.

PS: As a developer - as it relates to your fellow developers and BlackBerry Inc:
    What does the news of BB10 OS not coming to the PlayBook mean for PlayBook owners as it relates to new apps, fixing issues with current apps, updates to the PB OS, addressing key issues outstanding, etc ?

Additionally, do you think BlackBerry has a PB v3.xxx in the works as a plan "B" if BB10 was not doable?

SHILL=
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/shill

EXCERPT: And I'll add, those that profit from shilling...
    A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization.

"Shill" typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that they are an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) for whom they are secretly working. The person or group who hires the shill is using crowd psychology to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services (or accept the ideas being marketed).

~SNIP~
    Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 07-15-13 at 11:27 AM.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-15-13 11:15 AM
    I like that term "shill". Nope, I have street cred on CrackBerry and BBE as a hard core BlackBerry ****. I'm probably the best cheerleader they could hope to have, despite gator slapping me with no PlayBook BB10 update. I'll stick by them because of the memories I have for years that include BlackBerry at every turn. I've had other BlackBerry products over time, and I could show you a collection and photos that would make you both laugh and shake your head, but I don't worry about what others think. My passion is BlackBerry, and I will stick by them until they sell out (place BlackBerry OS on a non-BlackBerry device such as a competing phone or tablet) . They do that, they lose me for good, because at that point they would have revealed themselves to be a spineless company with no principles . So while no BB10 update for the PlayBook pissed me off good, they are still the same company they always have been, and I'm ok with that as long as they never give up on being an in-house hardware and software company (something Google failed miserably at by the way).

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 12:21 PM
    WeAreNotAlone: I think BlackBerry has a "Plan B" entitled "Smoke and Mirrors" for the PlayBook. The company is trying to slyly abandon it, but that's like a cat not seeing a mouse sneak across a hardwood floor. They need to realize that BlackBerry owners are not as gullible as Android owners, and we know damn well what's going on. We won't be duped, and pissing off your largest fan base will hurt your pocketbook immensely. We spend money, and we also preach ; that's revenue AND advertising. Not updating the PlayBook will always be a **** stain on their permanent record. It will be like the Curse of the Bambino, and bad fortune will plague them until they make it right.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 12:31 PM
    . So while no BB10 update for the PlayBook pissed me off good, they are still the same company they always have been

Posted via CB10
    That's the problem.
    They are still the same.
    07-15-13 12:43 PM
    Agreed

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 01:27 PM
    My playbook goes down as one of the worst purchases I've made. This just confirms it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Really? Personally, even though I'm really annoyed about the whole non BB10 thing and will be ditching my PB, it's actually a good product. I use it every single day. It's never let me down, it is extremely good quality, the sound is fantastic for it's size (sound is way better than any iPad), and the screen is lovely. I'm just pissed at BB full stop now, even if it is completely childish to carry on like a little boy. The product itself is great. It's just a shame it never got such good app support. Netflix and skype/hangouts would have been enough for me, and maybe a decent music player with an equalizer that actually works.... but aside from that, no complaints.
    07-17-13 04:29 PM
709 ... 2526272829