Since I hadn't seen an official response mentioned before, I thought I would share it here.

Dustin Malik of RIM over on the developer forums stated that BB10 will not come to Playbook before BB10 launches on phones.

"BB10 for PlayBook will come after the launch of the new BB10 devices. No date given."

Makes sense but still sad to hear. Still sucks that not even a beta for the Playbook will be out before the BB10 phones launch.

The post is here
    06-08-12 02:06 PM
    This has been mentioned from various RIM employees previously.

I expect to see BB10 on the PlayBook early 2013 at the very latest
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    06-08-12 02:20 PM
    Mike or Jim mentioned this long time ago. This is one fact they have always been straight up about.
    highos and siddo_d like this.
    06-08-12 02:24 PM
    Makes absolute sense to me. Why would they release BB10, which we're all waiting for, to the Playbook before the phone??? If they did...BB10 phone release wouldn't have near the impact it and RIM need!
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    06-08-12 02:37 PM
    Would not make sense for RIM to release BB10 for the PB first.... would take away the thunder from the smartphone lauch..... It would be like Apple releasing OS6 for the Ipad before the new Iphone 5.....
    Mr Bigs and sk8er_tor like this.
    06-08-12 02:38 PM
    Yeah it does make sense to have BB10 on phones first. In some ways you can say the PlayBook has been some what of a "Blackberry 10 Consumer Alpha"
    06-08-12 02:52 PM
    ANOTHER CONFIRMATION

BB11 will not be released before Bb10.

06-08-12 03:25 PM
    And pb4 won't be released before pb3
    06-08-12 06:08 PM
    why not concurrent release? maximum impact then....
    06-08-12 06:18 PM
    why not concurrent release? maximum impact then....
    I don't see anything in the SDK that makes it easy for apps to support both form factors (like we have for iPad or Android). That's one thing they need to work on I think before they ship BB10 on the tablet. (one of a few things probably)
    06-08-12 06:21 PM
    Makes perfect sense, I always just presumed this would be the case.
    06-08-12 06:25 PM
    I don't see anything in the SDK that makes it easy for apps to support both form factors (like we have for iPad or Android). That's one thing they need to work on I think before they ship BB10 on the tablet. (one of a few things probably)
    With Cascades, you specify dimensions relatively. I see no problem building for both form factors except that the default orientation of the PlayBook is landscape whereas the default orientation of the phone is portrait. And if you do everything in OpenGL, you can be pretty much form-factor agnostic.
    KOOLWATER and kbz1960 like this.
    06-09-12 05:46 AM
    What can we hope for after the recent beta 2.1 for the PB before BB10 release on the new phone?
    06-09-12 05:51 AM
    With Cascades, you specify dimensions relatively. I see no problem building for both form factors except that the default orientation of the PlayBook is landscape whereas the default orientation of the phone is portrait. And if you do everything in OpenGL, you can be pretty much form-factor agnostic.
    The physical size difference is too much for most apps to just depend on that type of scaling unless you have one large content area or really big buttons for the tablet. Look at some of the terrible Android tablet apps that are just scaled up versions of the phone app. User's fingers and eyesight don't scale proportionally with the device.

In the final version I hope to see a mechanism like what we have for Android where it's easy to specify alternate layouts for different orientations and classes of devices. If not, we'd have to write that support ourselves. That's not a huge task, but it would be nicer if RIM would do that. In one of the Orlando sessions (I believe the second Cascades tutorial), one of the engineers said it was something there were thinking about.

Even something simpler like what we have in iOS with filename suffixes would be better than nothing. Again, easy to write ourselves of course, but cleaner and even easier if RIM did it for everyone as Google and Apple have.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 06-09-12 at 06:08 AM.
    KOOLWATER, nsectf and Sucroid like this.
    06-09-12 06:00 AM
    The physical size difference is too much for most apps to just depend on that type of scaling unless you have one large content area or really big buttons for the tablet. Look at some of the terrible Android tablet apps that are just scaled up versions of the phone app. User's fingers and eyesight don't scale proportionally with the device.

In the final version I hope to see a mechanism like what we have for Android where it's easy to specify alternate layouts for different orientations and classes of devices. If not, we'd have to write that support ourselves. That's not a huge task, but it would be nicer if RIM would do that. In one of the Orlando sessions (I believe the second Cascades tutorial), one of the engineers said it was something there were thinking about.

Even something simpler like what we have in iOS with filename suffixes would be better than nothing. Again, easy to write ourselves of course, but cleaner and even easier if RIM did it for everyone as Google and Apple have.
    (with all needed precautions until I attend to BB10Jam on Tuesday)
    From what I understand,with webworks, you'll have device/resolution selective CSS enabled. If you use strict HTML5 sizes definitions (ie "em" against "px") shouldn't be an issue at all. Using a pinch of JS, you'll probably be ready with something like 2 or 3 complementary/specific CSS files.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-09-12 at 06:44 AM.
    darmarat likes this.
    06-09-12 06:42 AM
    (with all needed precautions until I attend to BB10Jam on Tuesday)
    From what I understand,with webworks, you'll have device/resolution selective CSS enabled. If you use strict HTML5 sizes definitions (ie "em" against "px") shouldn't be an issue at all. Using a pinch of JS, you'll probably be ready with something like 2 or 3 complementary/specific CSS files.
    Yeah, sorry, I'm speaking of native apps. You web guys have all your normal approaches to this issue, of course, which should work fine.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-09-12 07:00 AM
    Yeah, sorry, I'm speaking of native apps. You web guys have all your normal approaches to this issue, of course, which should work fine.
    With the advances WebWorks is making, I wonder if I should just bite the bullet and master javascript instead of banging my heads against C++ code.
    06-09-12 07:11 AM
    RIM should re-evaluate the releasing of BB10 to PlayBook... in fact, it is not a bad idea to release BB10 to PB prior to BB phones... it will defy the traditional strategic launch (like what Apple and Android are doings) and it will make difference.. if RIM will do that, those existing PB users will be like their marketing guys and the best of this approach is, these guys are free... it is like spreading the fire on a wide area and simultaneously... afterall, PB is a tablet and not a phone, which means releasing it to tablet will definitely not ruin the new generation of BB phones running BB10...
    06-09-12 08:20 AM
    With the advances WebWorks is making, I wonder if I should just bite the bullet and master javascript instead of banging my heads against C++ code.
    That's all my hopes are about.
    I'll be back next week with my returns about this.
    My concerns are about "how deep is native integration", but ,so far I know, for some purposes (games / intensive graphics use) HTML5 won't be competitive enough.
    So it's a matter of target ... what kind of apps do you intend to create or ... what kind of apps can you afford.
    I'm a beginner in mobile apps, not in web applications; my natural choice is to explore the limits of HTML5/WebGL/bbui.js and see where it leads. I'm pretty certain that it will fit my needs as "web alike" (against "compatible but deprecated") mobile apps.

Then, I may be tempted by mobile only apps. Then, I think native will be a natural choice.
    06-09-12 09:01 AM
    RIM should re-evaluate the releasing of BB10 to PlayBook... in fact, it is not a bad idea to release BB10 to PB prior to BB phones... it will defy the traditional strategic launch (like what Apple and Android are doings) and it will make difference.. if RIM will do that, those existing PB users will be like their marketing guys and the best of this approach is, these guys are free... it is like spreading the fire on a wide area and simultaneously... afterall, PB is a tablet and not a phone, which means releasing it to tablet will definitely not ruin the new generation of BB phones running BB10...
    I used to be a big supporter of this approach.
    But it has numerous valid objections :
    1. BB10 is not ready and pulling apart the radio features is a "do and undo" strategy that will slow the process.
    2. Leaking the BB10 features by unveiling them in the PB environment will lower the impact of BB10 phones launch, that must be momentum.
    3. BB10 on PB after phones makes sense to be in sync with "PB2" launch.
    4. Think of it like the "second effect" (not sure it's popular in N.A, let me explain ...)
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVHEa8qpSf8[/YT]
    There will be probably some dedicated PB BB10 features ... hopefully no freakin' ones !
    06-09-12 09:15 AM
    From a marketing perspective even if BB10 was ready for the PlayBook first, why launch it there? In tech new OS'es are usually launched on new hardware to gain marketing "bang".

I love the PlayBook but RIM putting BB10 on it first would be a marketing mistake IMO.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-09-12 09:46 AM
    That's all my hopes are about.
    I'll be back next week with my returns about this.
    My concerns are about "how deep is native integration", but ,so far I know, for some purposes (games / intensive graphics use) HTML5 won't be competitive enough.
    So it's a matter of target ... what kind of apps do you intend to create or ... what kind of apps can you afford.
    I'm a beginner in mobile apps, not in web applications; my natural choice is to explore the limits of HTML5/WebGL/bbui.js and see where it leads. I'm pretty certain that it will fit my needs as "web alike" (against "compatible but deprecated") mobile apps.

Then, I may be tempted by mobile only apps. Then, I think native will be a natural choice.
    But with WebGL, you can get pretty much 99.9% of the ground covered.

Since I do a lot of low level audio stuff,I guess there is still a place for Native.
    06-09-12 09:47 AM
    But with WebGL, you can get pretty much 99.9% of the ground covered.

Since I do a lot of low level audio stuff,I guess there is still a place for Native.
    I'm affraid there might be some performance issues for intensive framerates ... but have to check that next tuesday
    If you deal with audio we may have to discuss ... but maybe PM is better for that
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-09-12 05:41 PM
    I'm affraid there might be some performance issues for intensive framerates ... but have to check that next tuesday
    If you deal with audio we may have to discuss ... but maybe PM is better for that
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Let's talk after you are back from bb Jam Paris.
    06-09-12 05:52 PM
    Where is PK with the "nothing to see here" image?...
    Last edited by diegonei; 06-10-12 at 12:24 AM.
    06-09-12 06:03 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD