Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    SOLUTION - ditched the terrible BT Hub, and implemented this, which is far more secure:
    Run 802.11x with AD authentication. That's the correct way to do it.

http://jackstromberg.com/2013/05/tut...-group-policy/

Posted via CB10
    Original post:
    At home my Wi-Fi is unsecured and my PlayBook auto joins it and asks me to log in. That's all well and good and it is a saved network.
    However, sometimes when I'm out and about, I forget to turn off the Wi-Fi on the device and my PlayBook auto joins new networks, if they're public, unsecured hotspots. I then have to go to Wi-Fi settings and manually delete the newly saved network and then disable Wi-Fi.
    This is NOT what I want, it's got a data SIM card inside it, and if that fails, I'll tether it to my phone.

Is there a setting to stop this behaviour of auto connecting to unsaved public Wi-Fi hotspots in short of always remembering to turn off Wi-Fi?
    Last edited by Someone7272; 01-03-16 at 05:32 PM.
    10-13-14 04:12 PM
    I dont think my PB autoconnects to any network without my OK.
    jtv1 likes this.
    10-26-14 10:12 AM
    Maybe I'll do a restore. It only seems to join hotspot based networks automatically, which is quite annoying because no, I don't want to log into the hotspot unless it's my own home one...
    11-03-14 11:21 AM
    The only time I have seen this is if you have saved a profile for a router that is still in the default setup, such a dlink. If you connect to one of these routers in the default settings and no password, the PlayBook will connect to any other unsecured network with this same name.
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-05-14 11:59 AM
    The only time I have seen this is if you have saved a profile for a router that is still in the default setup, such a dlink. If you connect to one of these routers in the default settings and no password, the PlayBook will connect to any other unsecured network with this same name.
    The SSID is "_Free Pub WiFi" and it's a redirect/login WiFi just like my home WiFi, unsecured with no password. It seems the PlayBook is joining the "_Free Pub WiFi" SSID without prompting me when I'm in the pub if I leave the WiFi on. And quite obviously, my home WiFi is not called "_Free Pub WiFi" it's something like BTHub4-AA00 (Example). The PlayBook correctly identifies both my home and pub WiFi networks as hotspots, but seems to rejoin the "_Free Pub WiFi" even after I delete its profile! If there is an unsecured network in the area which is NOT identified as a hotspot, interestingly, the PlayBook won't join it. Seems to only join unsecured hotspots. Just need a way to turn off this behavior, but continue to allow it to join my home hotspot.
    11-05-14 09:04 PM
    You could join the public wifi then edit the saved profile to disable connections to that profile.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 06:12 PM
    How about selecting connect to saved networks only?
    Or giving your home wifi a password, then only allowing connection to secure networks?
    How about selecting manual connect?
    And I know, I know, but how about switching off the wifi on your playbook when you go out. That's the solution, why isn't that any good for you?
    mh1983 likes this.
    01-04-15 10:41 AM
    How about selecting connect to saved networks only?
    Or giving your home wifi a password, then only allowing connection to secure networks?
    How about selecting manual connect?
    And I know, I know, but how about switching off the wifi on your playbook when you go out. That's the solution, why isn't that any good for you?
    I think you've misunderstood my problem.
    The issue I am having is that my PlayBook is automatically connecting to ANY unsecured network, especially hotspot networks, which I don't want to use, even if it's "Free WiFi". I think it's being caused by my home WiFi network which is also a no-password but login hotspot based access point. Because of this, the PlayBook seems to want to connect to any WiFi hotspot, which isn't what I want.
    We don't want to use a Password on our WiFi because I want our users to be able to log into our WiFi using their Active Directory username and password (same login credentials that they use to log onto our computers). With a WiFi password, everyone uses the same password which is not ideal or secure.
    I've actually stopped taking my PlayBook out with me now because of this issue.
    03-08-15 08:16 PM
    You have active dir at home?
    How is it going?
    I was thinking of doing the same but I thought it would be too much trouble. Where do you run the DC?

Posted via my STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return
    03-30-15 11:20 AM
    You have active dir at home?
    How is it going?
    I was thinking of doing the same but I thought it would be too much trouble. Where do you run the DC?

I initually set this up years back when I was learning Server 2008 R2.
    Runs very well. Much better than a workgroup. We have roaming profiles, so I could log on to any computer and still have access to my same stuff.
    The computers are managed with Group Policy and receive Windows Updates managed by WSUS on the DC.
    We also have a proxy server for managing internet acess and firewalling anything I want.

Our DC is located in a cabinet under one of the desks which I've designed in such a way to allow clear airflow and remains on all the time.

If you're prepared to put the time and effort into setting it up, then it'll be worth it, cause once your initial set-up is complete, it'll run like a dream. Might be a few problems from time to time, but nothing major.
    04-01-15 02:02 PM
    Thank you for the info. What will you do in case of a DC failure. Do you have a cluster or something? Backups?

04-01-15 10:34 PM
    Run 802.11x with AD authentication. That's the correct way to do it.

http://jackstromberg.com/2013/05/tut...-group-policy/

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 05:36 AM
    Thank you for the info. What will you do in case of a DC failure. Do you have a cluster or something? Backups?

Yeah the backups are taken every week and I also have spare parts available from older PCs which went over the digital hill. Never had a complete DC failure before, even if we did, I could probably sort it within a day or two.

Looked into this, but unfortunately, our access point (BT Hub) does not support 802.1X authentication, or WPA2-Enterprise.
    04-10-15 06:19 PM
    Can you set "_Free Pub Wifi" profile to disabled?

I'm having a different issue right now, PlayBook only connects to real routers, but not to any BlackBerry hotspot, or so it seems... :-)

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    01-02-16 12:23 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion, but this problem isn't relevant anymore because I ended up ditching the crappy BT Hub and implementing this, which is far more secure:

Additionally, the pub in question has now shut down its Wi-Fi service, the landlord told me that the service provided by 'Enterprise Inns' was so slow, nobody was using it, everyone was using 3G/4G.

I'm having a different issue right now, PlayBook only connects to real routers, but not to any BlackBerry hotspot, or so it seems... :-)
    I've never used the Wi-Fi Hotspot or internet tethering feature on the BlackBerry 10, I've always used BlackBerry Bridge over Bluetooth, joined my Z10 and PlayBook, and internet just works, no hotspot or tethering required.
    01-03-16 05:28 PM

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    Mine has no problem connecting to my Macbook 12 inch Hotspot which is running a vodaphone dongle while I am visiting Australia.
    01-22-16 06:58 PM