Anyone else catch that supposedly on the soon to be released Berry Tablet QNX developed the OS it is using and that the plan is for this OS to carry over to all Berry devices in the near future?

Is this suppose to be the end of the incremental, slight evolutionary changes for the Blackberry OS? Could this be the revolutionary change we've been requesting?

What do you think?
    09-23-10 10:00 AM
    Yes. A worthy replacement for the venerable Sun Java VM.
    09-23-10 10:43 AM
    QNX is not an OS in itself. It is a Kernel. BB can leave the JVM that they use today on top of it with some alterations. Or they can come up with something different. Who knows.

Hopefully we will see the tablet next week and can get an idea on what is coming.
    09-23-10 11:27 AM
    I did hear that, QNX on a handheld is really what most BB user's have been craving, also read it will be here soon, I downloaded OS6 on my gf's 9650 & must say it was very unimpressive, I left OS5 on mine, & deleted the foreign language's & a few other fluff item's & OS5 is actually quicker than OS6. I know it's a leaked version but, unimpressive even on the Torch I played with, will definitely upgrade when QNX become's available.
    09-23-10 12:08 PM
    Time will tell if QNX is sufficient to get RIM back in the game or not. I do think this is the change that will either make or break them. A lot of people have been holding out to see if something better will come from RIM soon. If they disappoint their fan base with this release then i'm certain many customers will say goodbye in favor of apples and androids That will provide a combination of fun and utility rather than just utility.

I really do hope RIM hits one out of the ballpark with the new devices the new QNX based OS. If they make something extremely competitive with the other devices, there is a good chance they might win me back as a customer, as well as many others like me who left RIM's product lines because we were disappointed at the lack of performance and os innovations versus the other devices.
    09-23-10 01:05 PM
    QNX on the tablet is also being discussed here... http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/rep...t-week-531616/
    09-23-10 01:58 PM
    I did hear that, QNX on a handheld is really what most BB user's have been craving, also read it will be here soon, I downloaded OS6 on my gf's 9650 & must say it was very unimpressive, I left OS5 on mine, & deleted the foreign language's & a few other fluff item's & OS5 is actually quicker than OS6. I know it's a leaked version but, unimpressive even on the Torch I played with, will definitely upgrade when QNX become's available.
    "OS6 Unimpressive"- well said. That is one of my immediate issues with Torch. How are you suppose to accept that the 9800 is the latest & greatest when simple multitasking causes OS to stutter and behave choppy? While on my 9700, during my typical commutes I can stream music, reply to emails and hop on the web without so much as a hiccup.
    09-23-10 03:18 PM
    "OS6 Unimpressive"- well said. That is one of my immediate issues with Torch. How are you suppose to accept that the 9800 is the latest & greatest when simple multitasking causes OS to stutter and behave choppy? While on my 9700, during my typical commutes I can stream music, reply to emails and hop on the web without so much as a hiccup.
    Hmm..choppy you say. That's odd..seeing's how no one else in the 9800 forums seems to be having or complaining about these issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-10 04:43 PM
    Hmm..choppy you say. That's odd..seeing's how no one else in the 9800 forums seems to be having or complaining about these issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Agreed. I can multi-task with the 9800 just fine with ZERO lag...
    09-23-10 04:58 PM
    i'm pretty sure that's not true at all.
    09-23-10 05:19 PM
    i'm pretty sure that's not true at all.
    There are very few complaints about the 9800 being "laggy". Take a look at first 4 or 5 pages. Nothing about lag. It's not an issue on the 9800. Does anyone experience any? Yes I'm sure there's someone. But that goes for all devices. Bottom line is the 9800 doesn't suffer from lag whilst multi-tasking.
    09-23-10 05:38 PM
    All I gotta say is, it's about time RIM overhauled the core BB OS..can't wait to see what they have in store for the future.
    09-23-10 05:52 PM
    There are very few complaints about the 9800 being "laggy". Take a look at first 4 or 5 pages. Nothing about lag. It's not an issue on the 9800. Does anyone experience any? Yes I'm sure there's someone. But that goes for all devices. Bottom line is the 9800 doesn't suffer from lag whilst multi-tasking.
    If all's you did was go in and try a demo at some point, then yes..perhaps you did notice some "lag" or "choppiness". But these issues have been resolved (maybe not in every single case, but definately the majority) with the later OS upgrades (.214, .225 etc).

It seemed everyone deemed these initial problems with the "underpowered" processor and wrote the phone off, but this was not a hardware issue, but a software (as is evident in the newly released Samsung Fascinate..which was also deemed "laggy" and "slow" even with a 1GHz processor)
    09-23-10 06:08 PM
    Time will tell if QNX is sufficient to get RIM back in the game or not. I do think this is the change that will either make or break them. A lot of people have been holding out to see if something better will come from RIM soon. If they disappoint their fan base with this release then i'm certain many customers will say goodbye in favor of apples and androids That will provide a combination of fun and utility rather than just utility.

I really do hope RIM hits one out of the ballpark with the new devices the new QNX based OS. If they make something extremely competitive with the other devices, there is a good chance they might win me back as a customer, as well as many others like me who left RIM's product lines because we were disappointed at the lack of performance and os innovations versus the other devices.
    This post doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
    Back in the game? RIM still owns 40% of the smartphone market.
    40%!!!! They slid less than 2% even with the wildly popular Sprint 4G Android devices making a strong showing during the last recorded quarter.

Now with Google leveling out with their OS releases people are discovering the security vulnerabilities in the Android platform (minimal though they may be) we won't see massive spikes in share losses/gains between carriers until the next "big thing" which will keep RIM where they are as the leader in market shares.

RIM hardware quality has increased substantially in the last 10 months while HTC has taken over the bulk of cell phone hardware production and has the highest rate of market inconsistency and consumer complaints regarding hardware.

I think RIM will be just fine even if this new rumored OS doesn't hit hard with the 13-25 year old demographic
    09-24-10 08:46 AM
    This post doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
    Back in the game? RIM still owns 40% of the smartphone market.
    40%!!!! They slid less than 2% even with the wildly popular Sprint 4G Android devices making a strong showing during the last recorded quarter.

Now with Google leveling out with their OS releases people are discovering the security vulnerabilities in the Android platform (minimal though they may be) we won't see massive spikes in share losses/gains between carriers until the next "big thing" which will keep RIM where they are as the leader in market shares.

RIM hardware quality has increased substantially in the last 10 months while HTC has taken over the bulk of cell phone hardware production and has the highest rate of market inconsistency and consumer complaints regarding hardware.

I think RIM will be just fine even if this new rumored OS doesn't hit hard with the 13-25 year old demographic
    I think that you're assuming that Google doesn't recognize some of their flaws and/or won't do anything about addressing them. They sure don't seem to be the type of company that isn't interested in innovating and improving their products, rather than being content sitting back and enjoying the lack of needing to innovate much.

You may be correct about their business market share, however I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to lose some of their consumer market share unless they do more innovative things like deliver a BIS experience similar to BES including the ability to sync folders and so forth. Their hardware isn't the only thing to have been getting stale.
    09-24-10 09:41 AM
    I multitask all the time and do not notice any lag on my Torch.
    09-26-10 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD