Last I read was that Cascades had progressed from endless snazzy video production and produced an actual "fer real" API which was in some kind of closed beta. So, any word on where Cascades is at the mo' ?

Has the Cascades API been released to any Devs yet?

Any word on when Cascades will appear in an NDK update for more general release?
    04-07-12 03:43 PM
    Some devs may have it, but I dont think they are going to say anything due to NDAs. I have a strong feeling in about 3 weeks at BBW a lot of things will become more clear.
    spike12 likes this.
    04-07-12 03:50 PM
    Heh-Heh. Thanks for that update.

I'll take those nods and winks as I think they were intended and await events.

Please TAT... no more videos...
    04-07-12 03:57 PM
    I would say it would be released at BB World as well! I would really like this to be released, I will enjoy developing with this!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    04-07-12 04:04 PM
    Check the catalogue for the BB10 Jam conference. It's packed full of Cascades sessions...
    04-07-12 05:07 PM
    I recall reading somewhere that cascades will not be released during bbworld, although I'm not very sure if I read something like that at all. Does anyone else happen to have read such a report?
    04-07-12 05:12 PM
    Check the catalogue for the BB10 Jam conference. It's packed full of Cascades sessions...
    For which Walt Disney is doing the animatronics!
    04-07-12 08:14 PM
    It's still early for Cascades release. Maybe at BB10 jam or after it
    04-08-12 05:07 AM
    I'm still betting on BB World or BB10 Jam...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    04-08-12 07:39 AM
    It's still early for Cascades release. Maybe at BB10 jam or after it
    Too early?

I remember at last years WWB they showed off TAT and said we would see things
    like the addresss book in the later half of the year.

So I would not say it would be early, when in fact it is already way late.

It will be good to see it as it would add a much needed WOW factor to the PB.

But seeing is believing and I haven't seen it yet.

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 04-08-12 at 08:31 AM.
    04-08-12 08:27 AM
    And to think of RIM's promise that it will be available by Nov 2011.No wonder both CEO got the boot.Don't give timelines that you can't keep.

It's way better to admit you effed up and give more reasonable timeline, easy on everyone devs included.
    04-08-12 08:29 AM
    its still hard to believe that its taken RIM this long to get Cascades integrated into the native NDK. i understand it mightn ot be a easy task, but when RIM has owned TAT for whats approaching a year and a half, they are going to have to start walking the walk.

I personally dont want to see anymore videos teasing end users of what will come until it is actually released

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    04-08-12 09:49 AM
    My friend told me if he doesn't see Cascades at the BB 10 Jam, he'll abandon ship and become an iDev.
    04-09-12 11:40 AM
    My friend told me if he doesn't see Cascades at the BB 10 Jam, he'll abandon ship and become an iDev.
    Why not just do both?

They *must* put out at least a developer preview at the Jam, or they may have a small riot on their hands!
    04-09-12 12:14 PM
    I have no direct qualms about cascades (as I'm not a developer) I just view it as another source of bad press for RIM.
    Any late product is bad press.
    04-09-12 12:46 PM
    code writing takes time. Imagine, they acquired QNX 2y ago, and they wrote a tablet OS from it in 1y, and completed it 10mo later. This is very short IMO.

Problem is that RIM is playing catch-up, so everything seems like an eternity. It is generally accepted that on the consumer innovation front, innovation at RIM came to a near complete standstill. Besides PB, every piece of hardware from RIM after the Bold9000 was late to market, with same CPU clock speed one generation to the next. RIM's investment in manufacturing is seen as a mistake. Outsource to the cheapest OEM in asia, or start joint ventures there. On the software side, touch made JAVAOS seem very dated, consumer app support made it look worse, and Storm1/2 tainted the Blackberry name for a while. Now, fragmenting between QNX and Java means not everyone is pushing in the same direction. BBMusic is not earth-shattering, and BBM + push email are long in the tooth. Besides security, BIS truncates emails, is not great for streaming and its web interface is frozen in time. Cloud is inexistent, etc....

now that OS7.1 is out, all muscle will be realigned with QNX. Give them a year (a long time) and you will see where things are going. But until then, everything seems to take an eternity - the joy of transitions.
    Last edited by kingbernie06511; 04-09-12 at 02:44 PM.
    kbz1960 and joski like this.
    04-09-12 02:26 PM
    code writing takes time. Imagine, they acquired QNX 2y ago, and they wrote a tablet OS from it in 1y, and completed it 10mo later. This is very short IMO.
    Thank you, some people think it's a think you can do this in a matter of hours (I may be exaggerating), or maybe weeks. Making a very simple application can take up to multiple hours... Making a Operating System sometimes takes years! I'm quoting Alec Saunders "...Updates are like babies -- premature is bad.", the same goes for O.S's anybody remember Vista?
    04-09-12 04:25 PM

Problem is that RIM is playing catch-up, so everything seems like an eternity. It is generally accepted that on the consumer innovation front, innovation at RIM came to a near complete standstill. Besides PB, every piece of hardware from RIM after the Bold9000 was late to market, with same CPU clock speed one generation to the next. RIM's investment in manufacturing is seen as a mistake. Outsource to the cheapest OEM in asia, or start joint ventures there. On the software side, touch made JAVAOS seem very dated, consumer app support made it look worse, and Storm1/2 tainted the Blackberry name for a while. Now, fragmenting between QNX and Java means not everyone is pushing in the same direction. BBMusic is not earth-shattering, and BBM + push email are long in the tooth. Besides security, BIS truncates emails, is not great for streaming and its web interface is frozen in time. Cloud is inexistent, etc....

now that OS7.1 is out, all muscle will be realigned with QNX. Give them a year (a long time) and you will see where things are going. But until then, everything seems to take an eternity - the joy of transitions.
    Totally agree with the assessment. RIM has to overhaul a ton of stuff and we are just starting to see what they are doing. Getting the Tablet OS launched within a year of the QNX purchase is actually pretty fast. We can all sit here and lament why RIM didn't do this earlier, but it is what it is, and we'll see if this transition will work out. At least it's faster than Palm's transition from Palm OS to webOS...
    04-09-12 08:02 PM
    We'll get something at BBW
    04-09-12 08:13 PM
    I agree.
    04-10-12 05:59 AM
    New Curves?
    04-10-12 10:21 AM
    Yes all delays are technically very understandable, but the problem is the playbook should have been sold only when the OS was mature and had basic functions. Which probably means it should have been sold... at the end of 2012, when BB10 comes out.

After all outside of Crackberry forums, in the wide outer world, it is common practice to sell customers finished products in exchange of their money.
    04-10-12 01:08 PM
    Yes all delays are technically very understandable, but the problem is the playbook should have been sold only when the OS was mature and had basic functions. Which probably means it should have been sold... at the end of 2012, when BB10 comes out.

After all outside of Crackberry forums, in the wide outer world, it is common practice to sell customers finished products in exchange of their money.
    But on the other hand, all the other Android tablets --- which all had native email from the start --- were duds as well.
    04-10-12 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD