Basically the only upgrades in the 9570 is double the memory and a bigger camera, correct?

Now, the main reason why RIM is releasing this device is that they have realized that the 9550 will run as well with OS6 as the 9530 does with OS 5 (barely), due to the way that BBOS handles system memory.

However, the 9570 seems to be cancelled, with the only rumoured replacement is the Storm 4G, which will have LTE, a bigger screen, and a trackpad.

This would be placed as a really high-end phone, but RIM would still want to offer a cheaper touchscreen model (hence the 9570).

RIM is releasing the PB with an OS which is based on QNX, and is completely different from their old BBOS (but is compatible, mind you)

Now here's my point:
    RIM will be running QNX on upcoming BBs, but what about current gen hardware?
    the 9550 has 256MB app memory and 2GB storage, so if QNX was ported to it the OS could run from storage.
    this means that you can have ~2GB of applications and OS, and the RAM is free to run executable code.

To summarize: RIM is not offering a proper replacement for the 9550 (Storm 4G will be high-end, Torch/CDMA slider is a slider), and the 9550 will easily run a QNX OS, so it's possible that RIM will put QNX on it eventually.

thoughts?
    10-12-10 01:33 PM
    **** no they better not take the time and energy to try and do this
    10-12-10 01:34 PM
    By the time that RIM is actually installing QNX on phones, the 9550 will be a dinosaur.
    10-12-10 01:40 PM
    By the time that RIM is actually installing QNX on phones, the 9550 will be a dinosaur.
    Possibly. but for a Curve-like phone it has pretty good specs,and the QNX OS will be faster and more lightweight that the legacy code-stuffed BBOS. If RIM was to put QNX on this phone, the 9550 would essentially be reborn as an awesome mid-range handset especially if they shaved $200 off the price.

So RIM, offer an OS update for current devices and a relaunch it the $200 cheaper 9555 with QNX out of the box.

It would definitely make the tech industry pause if their worst high-end phone became the best midrange touchscreen, and improve their reputation in the consumer market.
    Last edited by grahamf; 10-12-10 at 01:53 PM.
    10-12-10 01:45 PM
    9550 has been EOL already. in other words they arent going to do it. It will have to be a brand new phone, which would be the storm 3 that will be coming early next year probably. its beyond pointless to do
    Last edited by howarmat; 10-20-10 at 04:04 PM.
    10-12-10 01:51 PM
    In that case I don't see why they cancelled the 9570.
    This Storm could be pushed as a midrange touchscreen device with Curve/Pearl pricing, and then RIM would have the high end sliders and big screen 4G.

85% of the problems with the Storm was that the OS was buggy and slow, and it had zero memory to install apps on. A device with near identical hardware but with QNX would blow the Backflip and other midrange touchscreens out of the water.

RIM: the Curve 83xx was the best selling smartphone of it's time. make the Storm at least try.
    10-12-10 02:10 PM
    i have installed well over 130 apps/games etc on my storm 2 and had 50-60 MBs of memory still available. so there was really plenty of memory for OS 5 IMO.

I agree with canning the 9570 as its a sad "band aid" to allow for OS 6 to run and the advancement was minimal in reguards to the OS and what VZW would want current users to pay probably. i laughed at the notion as did MANY others.
    10-12-10 02:18 PM
    It already is.
    10-12-10 02:21 PM
    It already is.
    touché
    10-12-10 02:39 PM
    It already is.
    Even picking up the Storm 2 in the store these days is a joke at the Verizon store. They seems to never push that phone anymore and why would they when the Droid X, Droid 2, Galaxy S are next to it. If you were to pick up the S2 and just look at the screen then glance at those other devices its just sad in comparison, not to mention the browser experience.
    10-12-10 03:50 PM
    Now here's my point:
    RIM will be running QNX on upcoming BBs, but what about current gen hardware?
    the 9550 has 256MB app memory and 2GB storage, so if QNX was ported to it the OS could run from storage.
    this means that you can have ~2GB of applications and OS, and the RAM is free to run executable code.
    Are we sure that the Tablet OS will be running apps off the memory storage like the iPhone and iPad do and not off the RAM?
    I would assume so but do we know this for sure? Just wondering...
    10-12-10 03:55 PM
    speculate guessing and wondering...

if RIM need to launch a new OS on bb that would be storm. why? cuz storm have surepress and touch and most importantly after so much investment on innovation, its time to make the storm series to really storm the market!!!

ok i lied. but i do hope to get a new OS for my storm. hahaha
    10-20-10 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD