Hello,

I have an old Playbook that has sat unused for many months.

With Blackberry's lack of support for the device and operating system, is the device still safe to use? Is it a security risk to surf the net on the device?

Thanks
    01-26-16 09:08 AM
    Hello,

I have an old Playbook that has sat unused for many months.

With Blackberry's lack of support for the device and operating system, is the device still safe to use? Is it a security risk to surf the net on the device?

Thanks
    On the contrary. It's safe. Please give it to me if you don't want it. Lol
    01-26-16 10:38 AM
    If you just use the Playbook as a media device for playing videos, music etc. or as a clock, what could go wrong? Those uses are about all you can do anyway on the Playbook. Don't do any banking on the browser and you are good for everything else IMHO.
    01-26-16 11:00 AM
    If you can get into the habit of turning off/on JavaScript support in the browser Settings/Content so that JS is available only for sites that need it, you should find browsing the web will be far more responsive & secure.

In my experience, it not so much that the JS engine in the Browser is slow but rather that JS is being used nowadays by many sites to suck out as much information about your browsing habits as they can, then have all manner of advertising crap pushed back into the page you're trying to load from servers and source you wouldn't normally want anything to do with!

Source: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12198193
    mm2061 and mochuelo like this.
    01-26-16 11:51 AM
    Yes, native browser works fine, just tweak all important configurations parameters: turn off java, use private navigation, manage cookies and
    everything will be ok. IMHO, Its more secure than using a simply chrome of even my beloved firefox browser.
    The only backward its some times the browser just self-close without any advice :/
    03-30-16 04:24 PM
    Still pretty secure but you do need to be wary as it is susceptible to an ssl bug (Freak)...

Both the client (PB) and the server you are trying to connect to have to be vulnerable. Just be careful which sites you visit... it's unlikely BlackBerry come out with a security patch for this and the other exploits that have been discovered in the last18 mths or so...

You can test your PB here:
    https://freakattack.com

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 05:16 PM
    I'm glad I checked this out because I still use my PlayBook from time to time

Posted via CB10
    04-09-16 03:58 PM
    Its probably the safest device you have owned & will ever own. No evidence of anyone inc. law enforcement forcing their way onto PB's. Ever.
    BoneMatrix likes this.
    04-27-16 07:00 AM
    The device has government security certificate... so it's really secure.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-16 12:05 PM
    PlayBook rocks for a 5 years old tablet

Posted via CB10
    04-29-16 12:06 PM
    Hey,

Anyone checked this out as a replacement for the Playbook?

https://www.secusmart.com/en/for-companies/secutablet/

Pricey for a SD card at nearly €3000!

Posted via CB10
    01-30-17 01:20 PM