Hi there I am pretty good with computers and know more than the average person. But im not sure how i would go about this or if it is even possible. What I want to know is if it would be possible to install a full linux distribution on a rooted playbook.

Or what I can do with root access to simulate a linux distribution
    02-20-12 11:51 AM
    not as of now, no you can not run linux
    02-20-12 01:00 PM
    The bootloader is locked, so only RIM's OS can be loaded.
    02-20-12 01:22 PM
    The bootloader is locked, so only RIM's OS can be loaded.
    has no-one been able to hack it? There must be some code demons out there who can crack the boot-loader....The HTC sensation was boot-locked, took about a month for the revolutionary team to sort that out

Wonder how many people would swap QNX for Android if they could?
    02-20-12 01:41 PM
    Wonder how many people would swap QNX for Android if they could?
    Not me.

I'll keep my virus & malware-free, non-crashing, nuclear power plant-controlling QNX, thank you.
    02-20-12 02:29 PM
    It would be possible in the upcoming release of dingleberry 4.0 were "/base" can be permanatly modified, meaning that custom firmwares (or to say a custom linux distro) can be loaded into the device for more info check out the relase notes in dingleberry.it
    02-20-12 05:42 PM
    Custom Firmwares can be loaded in 4.0 but this will only be QNX firmwares.
    It is not possible to modify the bootloader or kernel so Linux will never be possible sorry.
    DAnklaud likes this.
    02-21-12 12:57 AM
    It is not possible to modify the bootloader or kernel so Linux will never be possible sorry.
    Thanks. I really appreciate you giving an answer on this. Not as good as a full linux distribution I know, but is there any reason you can't do chroot on PB?
    02-25-12 12:06 PM
    If you had a super computer to do the brute force work... Oh wait... Nevermind.. Pointless post is pointless...
    zethaaron likes this.
    02-26-12 12:15 PM
    No bootloader has ever been cracked. None.
    I was just wondering the same about a chroot though, you should try it
    02-26-12 04:29 PM
    Damn, I was hoping I could get ubuntu or mint 12 (13 coming soon?) on it. Oh well.

Similar question, has anybody thought of trying to crash the UI to reveal the QNX desktop? How would that be possible anyways? Just wondering... It would be awesome to totally geek out and try it.

Hmm... http://www.it-hall.com/1776/blackber...E2%80%99s-sdk/ (But damn, why haven't they found a way to crash adobe air to see the QNX desktop UI?)
    Last edited by Rootbrian; 03-15-12 at 07:48 PM. Reason: edited
    03-15-12 07:44 PM
    I'm pretty sure the Playbook os is built on the QNX kernel, not the QNX desktop lol
    03-15-12 07:48 PM
    I'm pretty sure the Playbook os is built on the QNX kernel, not the QNX desktop lol
    But there has to be some sort of Ui behind the adobe air interface.
    03-15-12 07:54 PM
    What makes you think the UI is written in adobe, and even if it was why would there need to be a UI beneath it?
    03-15-12 07:56 PM
    What makes you think the UI is written in adobe, and even if it was why would there need to be a UI beneath it?
    I was reading up on a few tech articles, one I linked (edited the post to do so), saying native QNX applications can be made and run on it. So basically that was what I was wondering.

It has to run some form of a window manager.
    03-15-12 08:02 PM
    I was reading up on a few tech articles, one I linked (edited the post to do so), saying native QNX applications can be made and run on it. So basically that was what I was wondering.

It has to run some form of a window manager.
    That article is from last year the QNX os listed is their PC desktop. Just states they figured out QNX compiler could work on apps to make a bar file. If you want the load it on your PC it's on QNX website. But there is no reason it would be on the PlayBook.
    03-15-12 08:40 PM
    I wouldn't install android on my pb but if linux was available I would be first in line.meego would be great.
    03-15-12 08:50 PM
    You can try running this in the BlackBerry PlayBook web browser. Linux within a Web Browser.
    03-15-12 11:40 PM
    Woah sweet, it works!
    Please tell me that's your site...
    03-15-12 11:53 PM
    It'd be sweet if the boot loader was cracked, I'd love to check out what other operating systems I could get on it, even though I'd always wanna have QNX ready and waiting. :P
    03-16-12 01:36 AM
    Will the custom firmware allow us to run all the android apps without the restrictions we have now ...?
    03-16-12 03:47 AM
    Technically, if the loader is locked, the only solutions are to use a virtual machine or a chroot.
    You can try to chroot a specific directory and then install a linux distro in it. You'll need a VNC player to access the desktop. I did it with my smartphone (under Android) a couple of months ago.
    Last edited by Gp2mv3; 03-16-12 at 03:23 PM.
    03-16-12 03:19 PM
    if the loader is blocked cant you just wipe the device and go up from there? im not muck of a blackberry guru but i would like linux on my dads old curve.
    12-18-12 05:00 PM
    Chroot's won't work. All you are doing is changing the root directory. The kernel is still QNX.

Is there any reason you want Linux instead of QNX? They are both UNIX-based OS.

Things like 'ls', 'grep', 'df', 'cat', 'find', 'pidin', 'elvis' all work as they would on Linux, right now on your Playbook.
    Any other open-source (command-line OR GUI) Linux software can be compiled to work on your Playbook.
    12-22-12 08:54 AM
    you the xh what ever dude ask some from xda... to help you with the unix i use that site alot for android and **** and from what i understood android is linux/uinx so they know how to help you
    07-11-13 05:35 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD