Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I would like to know if there is a way to stop my pb from going into sleep mode every 5 min. I'm trying to get evernote to sync all my data and it keeps going to sleep and killing the download.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    02-23-12 07:26 PM
    look under settings, screen option. you can change the time-out option there
    02-23-12 08:29 PM
    look under settings, screen option. you can change the time-out option there
    I did that but 5 min is the Max.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    02-23-12 08:32 PM
    That "feature" has been bugging folks for almost a year. I'm not sure why rim thinks 5 minutes should be the max.

What I found odd, the other day I was playing some music. The screen did go dark the music continued. I finally decided to stop the music - the password screen was showing. So no one else would have been able to stop it. Well, they could by throwing the pb out a window!

(I think I will post this as a separate thread.
    Remian8985 and Carl Estes like this.
    02-23-12 09:37 PM

What I found odd, the other day I was playing some music. The screen did go dark the music continued. I finally decided to stop the music - the password screen was showing. So no one else would have been able to stop it. Well, they could by throwing the pb out a window!
    Have you tried the pause button between two volume buttons?
    02-23-12 09:46 PM
    I would like to know if there is a way to stop my pb from going into sleep mode every 5 min. I'm trying to get evernote to sync all my data and it keeps going to sleep and killing the download.
    I work around this sort of problem by turning on Keep Awake in Battery Guru (my app). There are a handful of other apps which can do the same thing, including one or two free ones.
    02-23-12 10:49 PM
    I work around this sort of problem by turning on Keep Awake in Battery Guru (my app). There are a handful of other apps which can do the same thing, including one or two free ones.
    I've just put Battery Guru on keep awake while I'm not charging, but it doesn't seem to work, I'm on demo mode and I let BG open in the background but after 5 min the PB go to sleep, is there something I do wrong, thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Sergag; 03-24-12 at 06:48 PM.
    03-24-12 06:30 PM
    Sergag, please read the instructions on using that very carefully. It definitely works, but it's a non-trivial combination of things you have to do to make it work.

The limitation is because of the OS, not the app. The app cannot do what the OS does not allow, and no other app can do better (unless proper support is built into each individual app that may require staying awake in some way during standby, which is what RIM seems to expect all developers to do).

Basically you need to have the app both "active" and visible.

Visible should be obvious: if no part of the app's window can be seen, it's not visible. If even a portion of the window along one edge of the screen is visible, or of course if it's fullscreen, then it is visible... That part's pretty easy.

For "active", you need to take into account the Application Behavior setting under the General page in the System Settings.

Either set it to Showcase, in which case all running apps are considered "active" by the OS, or set it to Default and make sure that Battery Guru was the last app which you had fullscreen. (If you make another app fullscreen, even for a moment, Battery Guru will not be "active" according to the OS until you make it fullscreen again.) The last option is to use Paused mode, but then Battery Guru must be fullscreen the entire time you're using Keep Awake, since no app is "active" in this mode unless it is fullscreen.

These details should match what you read in the description, and what you would have seen in an instructional dialog when you first enabled Keep Awake.

I wish I could make it easier, but as I said there is nothing more than can be done at this point on time, and RIM shows no signs of changing this aspect of the OS. If you have another app that doesn't work the way you want in standby, contact the vendor and explain your requirements and ask them to improve their app. The time for waiting for RIM to change the standby timeout is over. :-(
    dpaulbelcher likes this.
    03-24-12 06:51 PM
    Thanks for this fast reply, I understand now and hope RIM do something about that.
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-24-12 07:21 PM
    Sergag, it's now highly unlikely RIM will change their approach, I believe. On my request that they make a clear policy statement about this and to indicate whether they may ever change it or not, the best response I got was this one: Re: Stand by after 5 minutes - Page 5 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

The summary is they say "It's really up to the application to implement this if it makes sense for the application." That's why I suggested contacting each app vendor.
    03-24-12 07:45 PM
    As peter stated, use "showcase mode" and have battery guru running with the keep awake feature enabled. Been doing it this way for a long time now and actually works quite well. As long as battery guru is present on the screen(can be in "tile"mode) it will keep the PB awake.
    03-25-12 07:22 AM
    Welp, it's been over a year since the posts on this topic have been posted and STILL the stupid playbook won't stay awake!! Come on RIM, get off your duff! Well, you guys can do like I did...just dump the BBP and get an entirely new tablet. Sorry RIM...YOU LOSE!! Oh, and also, some other MAJOR problems for me...RIM does not support Netflix or Hulu...geeze RIM wtf good are you!??? You TRIPLE LOSE for me!!!
    07-31-13 10:22 AM
    Maybe you should actually read the thread before posting. As noted above, there are ways to keep the PB awake, but since you've moved on, I suppose it doesn't really matter.
    KennethD and Carl Estes like this.
    07-31-13 09:02 PM
    pacoman03, its ok this thread helped me out, trying to find away to keep my navigation screen active without bumping it every 5 min, thats gets hard when driving a ATV or Motorbike. I use mine for loading maps and what not and keep it in my map bag with a little window so I can glance down and see it. Another program is Keep Screen Alive I found it when I was looking for battery guru, Anyway thanks for the tips and StyxNyx can I have your old PB?
    11-08-13 01:35 PM
    Install the Alarm clock app and it will stay on for you.
    11-11-13 03:16 PM
    The "Black Screen" app will stop PlayBook from going in stand by.
    08-10-14 09:24 PM
    This is an old thread, an as such the info is a bit dated. And although it has been discussed here a few times before, it is possible to keep any app from timing out while running "essentially" full screen. In the video, I'm running the stock browser along with the app Stay On. The trick is TWO fingers here (one finger won't work) and to slowly and smoothly pull from bezel to bezel. If you do it right, the app will stay running on about 95% of the screen, with Stay On barely visible on the right, and will stay this way until you tap the screen. You'll note that the Browser goes fullscreen when I tap the screen towards the end of the vid..All props go to Snow Stipple for discovering this quirk.

mh1983 and homejogger like this.
    08-10-14 11:14 PM