So, BlackBerry has officially screwed the PlayBook and its loyal users, and left it completely to die its own painful death. Its been already confirmed that there won't be even 2.1 or 2.2 update for PB. That's a shame, but they are shameless people. Let's not get into this debate. Time to move on!

I was thinking about last wish of PlayBook. I know that BlackBerry is not even going to hear this word "PlayBook", I think PB will also disappear from their sites, blogs, etc. soon. So, why not for the last time ever do something for PB users, which won't break their bank and PB owners will have something to rejoice at last. Lets get to the point.

I hope you have seen/heard about Ubuntu Touch. Its a promising new OS from original Ubuntu maker company. Few months ago, they gave images for Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 devices to run the OS. So, I was thinking about something and then I saw this list:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/TabletList

You can see in the OMAP 4 section, the only tablet which is not supported yet is our very own PlayBook, because its bootloader is locked. Now, I would love to install Ubuntu Touch on my PlayBook or even Android or other new mobile OSes if the bootloader gets unlocked. If BlackBerry has any respect left for PB owners, they can release a small utility / patch to just unlock the bootloader and then we can make some use of this device which is about to become a door stopper with its current state. Obviously, this will be fully optional, so those of you who want to stick with the current PlayBook OS, they are free to do so.

What do you guys think? Don't you think BlackBerry owe us at least this much? BB10 may be was too much for PlayBook (which I still don't agree with), but Ubuntu Touch will run buttery smooth on PlayBook's hardware.
    08-02-13 10:16 AM
    The issue with the bootloader is not a simple one to solve. It is believe that a hardware modification is need, that is current must be sent thru the chip. This is NOT easily done and can easily ruin your device. Most don't have the skills or equipment for the job.
    08-02-13 10:25 AM
    No reason why they couldn't just remove all security software in a small update and make the os open source though. Its hardly an "intellectual property" issue if they are consigning it to history.
    08-03-13 01:18 PM
    1GB of ram people...

douevenCB10?
    08-03-13 01:26 PM
    1GB is a lot of RAM. iPad mini for instance has just 512 MB RAM, will receive the latest iOS 7 update.

1GB of ram people...

douevenCB10?
    MikePembo951 likes this.
    08-03-13 01:35 PM
    lol ubuntu. we wernt able to get a blackberry official update you think we are going to get ubuntu.......
    btp67 likes this.
    08-03-13 01:36 PM
    Not that i dont want it. IT would be awsome
    08-03-13 01:38 PM
    Only hope is that Thor releases a brick for the pb that wipes out all of their crap but I think I've read it's in a chip and not sure if the chip can be wiped or programmed to get rid of the BBRY crap so something else can be installed.
    08-03-13 01:39 PM
    lol what would BBRY say to this..............................

SOON..............
    08-03-13 02:31 PM
    1GB is a lot of RAM. iPad mini for instance has just 512 MB RAM, will receive the latest iOS 7 update.
    But iOS is optimized for the device it's at. Ubuntu touch on the other hand won't and will never be optimized for the playbook.

douevenCB10?
    08-03-13 03:15 PM
    But iOS is optimized for the device it's at. Ubuntu touch on the other hand won't and will never be optimized for the playbook.

douevenCB10?
    unless Ubuntu wants it to......

And if BBRY wants it to......

So NEVER.
    08-03-13 03:51 PM
    Sounds a great idea. Although having looked into it I do not think we will ever unlock the boot loader as Blackberry don't seem to want us to and that is the end of it nice idea but future doesn't look good for our playbooks
    08-03-13 04:24 PM
    Sounds a great idea. Although having looked into it I do not think we will ever unlock the boot loader as Blackberry don't seem to want us to and that is the end of it nice idea but future doesn't look good for our playbooks
    Whoah Whoah slow down Since when was there a future for our Playbooks. You arent really listening to the BBBRY BS! Are YOU?
    08-03-13 07:16 PM
    The issue with the bootloader is not a simple one to solve. It is believe that a hardware modification is need, that is current must be sent thru the chip. This is NOT easily done and can easily ruin your device. Most don't have the skills or equipment for the job.
    This is wrong. The bootrom is the one that can't be modified, but the bootloader "only" needs to be signed. If this was in BlackBerry's interests, they could release a signed bootloader that loads unsigned code. They probably can't do this for legal reasons (maybe because of the security certification stuff)

No reason why they couldn't just remove all security software in a small update and make the os open source though. Its hardly an "intellectual property" issue if they are consigning it to history.
    No, they're not 'consigning it to history'. BlackBerry 10 is based on Tablet OS. Even if they were 'consigning it to history' it could still be an intellectual property issue.
    08-04-13 07:25 PM
    1GB of ram people...
    On that list there is a device with 256MB RAM that is in status "already supported". If that works, I guess 1GB will be enough too. Specially if you take a look at that list where most devices "worth supporting" have 1GB of RAM.

Please start a petition for BlackBerry to unlock us. I will sign it.
    08-10-13 12:08 PM
    With the US military using the playbook you will NEVER be getting the bootloader opened.
    --rez-- likes this.
    08-15-13 12:59 AM
    I struggle to understand these kind of threads TBH.

Yes we'd all love to have 'select OS of your choice' on the BB, but people - its not going to happen. BB don't consider they owe us anything. Their main focus in life at the moment is survival - well for their sake I hope it is.

No matter how much people kick, scream, stamp their feet and cuss, its not going to happen - period.

BB are over the playbook now. Its history, and unless they do something canny soon, like go private (mooted) of form a partnership with someone, then they are going to go the way of the dodo.
    With this in mind, who in their right mind thinks they are going to expend effort on a device that is now very much legacy, and will generate them zero return. This includes opening up the bootloader.

Really boggles the mind why people think they will do this.

The only way the Playbook will get another OS, is for someone to hack the bootloader. All it takes is a quick search on this forum to see that this option is not looking that likely.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    08-15-13 11:44 AM
    why not we all take our sticks and stones march to BBRY and "kindly" ask thor to give us our os chocie
    08-15-13 12:36 PM
    why not we all take our sticks and stones march to BBRY and "kindly" ask thor to give us our os chocie
    Yep, That'll work.
    08-15-13 12:37 PM
    Ubuntu itself will not support the Playbook

See here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/TabletList
    09-23-13 01:55 AM
    lol ubuntu. we wernt able to get a blackberry official update you think we are going to get ubuntu.......
    Pretty much this. No a software update couldn't remove all security, or somebody would have compiled a autloloader that does so. Also where was it confirmed the Playbook wouldn't get a 2.2 update?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 11:45 PM
    Pretty much this. No a software update couldn't remove all security, or somebody would have compiled a autloloader that does so. Also where was it confirmed the Playbook wouldn't get a 2.2 update?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, a software update could remove all security. Nobody has compiled an autoloader to do this because we'd need BlackBerry's private key in order to get it to actually work.
    10-07-13 05:01 AM
    1GB or RAM. LOL

Don't drink the BB Kool-Aid that 1GB or RAM isn't enough to run any mobile OS. They are just obfuscating the fact that BB10 is a hideous pile of bloatware.

Ubuntu Touch is already built and downloadable for the Galaxy Nexus/ Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 which have the same SoCs and 1GB of RAM as the Playbook.

But yes the locked bootloader.
    10-07-13 10:46 AM
    Kinda makes me sad I still don't have my hp touchpad, they have Touch dual booting on it now...

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 07:21 PM
    I struggle to understand these kind of threads TBH.

Yes we'd all love to have 'select OS of your choice' on the BB, but people - its not going to happen. BB don't consider they owe us anything. Their main focus in life at the moment is survival - well for their sake I hope it is.

No matter how much people kick, scream, stamp their feet and cuss, its not going to happen - period.

BB are over the playbook now. Its history, and unless they do something canny soon, like go private (mooted) of form a partnership with someone, then they are going to go the way of the dodo.
    With this in mind, who in their right mind thinks they are going to expend effort on a device that is now very much legacy, and will generate them zero return. This includes opening up the bootloader.

Really boggles the mind why people think they will do this.
    Well, for a little thing called "goodwill" which let's face it, BlackBerry could be doing with a lot of at the minute.

If you're in business and want to keep your customers then you need to work hard to please them. Turn your back on them and chances are, you'll lose them. This is a lesson BlackBerry is learning (or not) the hard way. Even BB10 can't save them now.
    10-08-13 02:24 AM
37 12