This is a big bug that has been reported on the boards (I read them after I learned the hard way), but it was for the beta version of 2.1.

If you (but DON'T) remove all the icons from the dock you cannot put any icons back into it and worse yet it will delete any you do put into it. So if you try to put Messages or Calendar back into the doc, the icon for it WILL be deleted from your device. The only way to get everything back is to restore everything to factory condition (or restore your backup, as I found when I did this a 2nd time to test the official 2.1).

Last night (on 2.1 Beta) I thought "I am going to reorganize my playbook, so I will get rid of the icons from the dock and figure out what to put back in it". Needless to say I did that, got out of the edit mode, went back to the edit mode, and started putting everything back in. Only thing that happened was the icon would vanish completely and I would receive an error message.

It was messed up and I wiped everything and started fresh, but decided since I would get 2.1 official today I thought I would retest it and be the test subject. The same thing happened with the this version of the OS.

It probably won't effect many people, but it is a big enough bug that I thought should be noted. Also for those who know about this bug from Beta, it seems to still be in existence in 2.1 official.
    Delmeister and indautxu like this.
    10-03-12 12:38 PM
    Wonder if anyone reported it to RIM..
    10-03-12 12:45 PM
    Wonder if anyone reported it to RIM..
    I am sure someone would have. I am willing to report it and all.... but how?
    10-03-12 12:50 PM
    Edit:
    Actually... check your PMs...
    BerryClever and polytan02 like this.
    10-03-12 01:06 PM
    I'm not really aware of what the procedure is.. I will try to find out when I do get a little bit of free time.. it might very well have been reported to them. you never know..
    BerryClever likes this.
    10-03-12 01:07 PM
    That's messed up, and needs a confirmed fix. I did delete my appworld icon awhile back, I think on OS 2.0.x. Only got back after full debrick. I never removed all the icons either. Sucks if this is an issue with the 2.1 official.
    BerryClever likes this.
    10-03-12 01:25 PM
    @blaze_125
    Thanks, I will do that a bit later after I eat.

@GreyGhostRos
    Thanks for offering, I should be good though. Going to report it in a little bit.

I just hope people read this before they do it without knowing about the bug. On the plus side though, I am a bit of a app hoarder, so I am liking this clean, quick interface (right now that is, I'm sure the cycle is probably going to start again soon).
    10-03-12 01:30 PM
    Learnt about it too late, the calendar icon has disappeared and there is no trace of it. Either back up and restore the playbook to factory settings or wait for RIM for a new update? Yeah, soon in 2013. Can't they do things properly? Running out of patience
    10-03-12 02:48 PM
    I think this problem was there before too. I read about this issue much before the 2.1 came out.
    10-03-12 03:02 PM
    Interesting to know, personally I would never think of removing ALL icons from the dock, and probably never will. This won't be an issue to me at all.
    Last edited by yeek; 10-03-12 at 03:10 PM.
    10-03-12 03:07 PM
    I removed the icons from the dock... Updated to 2.1 official... Then my icons went away when I tried to put them back in dock after successful update. The dock is jacked.
    10-03-12 04:12 PM
    I got a "array_insert invalid array index" notification when my icons go POOF! As a place them in dock.
    10-03-12 04:15 PM
    So the story goes..
    I read the first message in this thread when I was at work.. without reading it fully; I thought I understood...
    So, I get home, promptly remove all my icons from the dock and updated to 2.1.

Update went well... Icons being added back not as much fun..

Can someone throw me a "bonehead" my way as punishment..

S.
    10-03-12 04:17 PM
    It seems that you don't have to wipe your PB and start from scratch, but can just restore a backup to get all the icons and the dock working again. I found it faster and easier just restoring the backup file.

The first time I did this, I just did a system restore to factory settings (I moved all the files from my PB to my computer first as I hadn't backed it up for a while). The second time, when I did it on purpose, I backed up the PlayBook first and then restored it with the backup to fix it.

Edit:
    I think this problem was there before too. I read about this issue much before the 2.1 came out.
    It was there before. I didn't know about it, but seeing that I got hit with this bug the night before the update, I thought I would try to see if it was fixed with this 2.1 (had a fresh OS anyways)... it wasn't.

I don't think there will be a lot of people running into this, but the bug is there and hopefully this thread will give them a heads up and also for the people who knew about it but might have thought the official 2.1 fixed it. ... That is if they read it FULLY! {cough-srissman-cough} j/k
    Last edited by BerryClever; 10-03-12 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Added to post instead of making a second
    smuook and srissman like this.
    10-03-12 06:28 PM
    If I've already updated, can I make a backup now and still use this new backup to restore in case I mess up the dock?
    10-04-12 09:34 AM
    If I've already updated, can I make a backup now and still use this new backup to restore in case I mess up the dock?
    Thats what I did. I updated to 2.1 and backed up the PlayBook, then I restored it with the 2.1 and it fixed the dock. I wouldn't suggest you removing everything from the dock at once though... nothing good comes of it.
    10-04-12 09:42 AM
    Wish I had read this two hours ago

Just did a security wipe and all today for the update. Oh well, I will just have to redo it tomorrow, no biggy. Do hope they fix this in the next update though.
    10-08-12 12:50 PM
    This bug is still not fixed with 2.1?? See this thread, it (or a similar bug) was present in the Dev Alpha..

| http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=740328

I don't think it's gonna be a priority to tell you the truth.
    Why wouldn't it be a priority? That you have to wipe your PlayBook every time you undock your icons?
    I'm just assuming from the PlayBook project managers tweets. He seemed quite annoyed and wondered why anyone would even empty the dock. See for yourself via twitter.
    10-10-12 04:00 AM
    I got a "array_insert invalid array index" notification when my icons go POOF! As a place them in dock.
    I get this same issue, rebooted and the icons came back. I thought it was a one time thing so tried again and gone. I guess time to wipe the book
    10-10-12 12:26 PM
    This could be handy if you want to remove the icons for the persistent apps that you never use Eg "Help" etc.
    I wouldn't do it though to be honest.
    10-10-12 02:49 PM
    There is a fix/workaround that worked for me.

Simply move all the icons/folders to the shortcut bar and then restart, all my icons are now back.
    10-11-12 11:57 AM
    I won't be trying that again, but thanks for the tip. Hopefully it helps out those who has this happen to them
    10-11-12 11:46 PM
    I would never do that -but my 6 yr. old is intuitively doodling with my PlayBook and he did it.
    10-20-12 05:47 PM
    My 4 year old was playing with her playbook and made her games folder and videos disappear.
    Moving al icons to the dock and restarting fixed the issue. Granted I have to put all of her games back into a folder for her but that is much better then having to wipe and re-install.
    10-20-12 09:21 PM
    However, everything DID come back BUT now nothing can be moved to the dock... Every time something is moved there the same error comes up. I really hope they release a fix for this ASAP.
    10-20-12 09:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD