Hello All

I was just hoping to get a general opinion from some individuals who are much more immersed and knowledgeable about blackberries and cell phones in general than myself.

I am debating whether to pruchase the 9780 when it releases for AT&T or wait for the next generation of QNX based blackberries.

I currently have a bold 9000, and it has been a solid phone, but Ive grown quite bored of it, and it is obviously dated. I could most likely get a 9780 with a considerable discount though not full. When I was considring getting the torch, my local AT&T salesman said I could get it around 260 If I remember correctly. I dont believe Im eligble for a full upgrade price until March.

Ofcourse, I'm not expecting anyone to be able to give me a definate timetable for release, but I was just hoping that some community members who are more familar with general release schedules could offer an opinion as to go head and buy or wait it out. I just hate getting a new phone, and then a couple months later something better release from the company, and I think I could manage with my 9000 for another 6 months, and I really have a feeling (or a hope) that the QNX blackberries are going to be a real evoultion for the phones rather than just an update. Thanks.
    Last edited by edotmiller; 11-26-10 at 03:16 PM.
    11-26-10 03:14 PM
    get the 9780.

Waiting will be a long wait
    11-26-10 04:22 PM
    How old are you! That is what I ask myself when I am trying to decide if I can wait for RIM to come up with an entirely new phone!
    11-26-10 05:02 PM
    21. Thanks for the responses
    11-26-10 05:37 PM
    QNX phone won't come until 2012. so, it's your call
    11-26-10 11:23 PM
    I disagree with this. I would bet it would come within 6 months.
    11-26-10 11:28 PM
    I'd get the 9780. While it might not be a huge update to the 9700, it definitely is a huge upgrade to the 9000. I'd imagine that RIM is going to try and get some mileage out of OS6 before blessing us all with QNX. I mean, they try and get as much life out of all their devices, maybe adding a new color or a couple megapixels to the camera, but I'm guessing it'll be a while until we'll have QNX in our pockets.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-10 01:09 AM
    i would definetly grab the 9780 especially with all the holiday deals they have goin on right now ... qnx base wont be here for a while .. heck we'll probably be seein os7.0 before we start talkin about qnx base blackberry ..
    11-27-10 01:24 AM
    rim wants to sell some playbook too,
    so no qnx BB os in horizon for year or so....
    9000->9780 is cool, but watch with overall bb experience.

11-27-10 01:40 AM
    My overall experience with my Blackberries has been outstanding for a very long time.
    For a 21 year old who wants the latest tech, I would not recommend the 9780. Maybe not even the QNX device. I get the impression that BB's strengths (email, messaging, phone) are not your main considerations.
    Honestly, for you, based on your words above, I would try a different platform.

11-27-10 04:06 AM
    I disagree with this. I would bet it would come within 6 months.

I will accept the bet QNX based phones are far far away and definatly new os will be in betwen OS 6 and QNX to make a smoth trasaction.

11-27-10 08:10 AM
    Thank you for everyone's input. Some interesting opinions here. QBN, I think you have assumed much and pinned me wrongly. lol. I did consider switching platforms, but I really have come to learn that I like the straightforwardness,functionality, and efficiency of the blackberry. I have spent some time with my friends and family's iphones and adroid devices and I have always felt that there was almost too much going on..too much superficial details that make the devices seem cluttered and not the streamline get me from point A to Point B quickly experience of my blackberry. Those devices come off as kind of toyish to me. (Though I give them the benefit of the doubt of an adjustment period)

Phone, Messaging, Emailing, Occasional Web Browsing and staying connected through social networking are my primary concerns, but on the rare occasions I do want to check out a short video or music clip,or surf the web more extensively I'd like to be able to do that. The latest blackberries seemed to fit my needs/wants well. I also really prefer candy bar form factor phones with keyboards, another reason why iphones and most android phones don't really interest me

Let me ask 2 slightly different questions in light of the new responses. I do think there will probably be at least one OS between OS 6 and a QNX platform. Do you think that the 9780 will be compatible with all the new software/ OS updates that will be released between now and the release of the first QNX phones? If not a QNX phone, do you think there will be a new generation of blackberries launched with OS7 within a relatively short time frame (6 months)? I would hate to get a 9780, which is a refresh, and then a completely new generation of the Bold is released within a couple months time. Plus I think I am eligible for a full upgrade in March, I really would hate to "waste" my upgrade (pretty sure I can get a partial one) on the 9780 now and then have a new bold come out around that time. Thanks again for everyone's input.
    11-27-10 09:10 AM
    And you know this how?

i would definetly grab the 9780 especially with all the holiday deals they have goin on right now ... qnx base wont be here for a while .. heck we'll probably be seein os7.0 before we start talkin about qnx base blackberry ..
    Why would they develop a different OS WHILE trying to port a QNX OS for their smartphones?

My overall experience with my Blackberries has been outstanding for a very long time.
    For a 21 year old who wants the latest tech, I would not recommend the 9780. Maybe not even the QNX device. I get the impression that BB's strengths (email, messaging, phone) are not your main considerations.
    Honestly, for you, based on your words above, I would try a different platform.

CAUTION: THE FOLLOWING WAS NOT MEANT IN A RUDE MANNER
    Assume = A$$ out of you and me

I've been using BB's since the 8700g with OS 4.1 when I was 16. I knew the iPhone was coming out in a few short months and despite its beautiful design, it didn't persuade me one bit. A camera, wide screen for video and web surfing etc etc wasn't important to me. Now I am 20 with a 9000 (sold my iPhone after having it for one month a few days ago) and for what I need, the 9000 does it's job.

Reading the OP's post, I'm sorry but I just don't understand how you took from that that he/she would be more happy with a different platform. From what I've seen only BB enthusiasts/aficionados even know about RIM and their relationship with QNX (including the PlayBook).

Thank you for everyone's input. Some interesting opinions here. QBN, I think you have assumed much and pinned me wrongly. lol. I did consider switching platforms, but I really have come to learn that I like the straightforwardness,functionality, and efficiency of the blackberry. I have spent some time with my friends and family's iphones and adroid devices and I have always felt that there was almost too much going on..too much superficial details that make the devices seem cluttered and not the streamline get me from point A to Point B quickly experience of my blackberry. Those devices come off as kind of toyish to me. (Though I give them the benefit of the doubt of an adjustment period)

Phone, Messaging, Emailing, Occasional Web Browsing and staying connected through social networking are my primary concerns, but on the rare occasions I do want to check out a short video or music clip,or surf the web more extensively I'd like to be able to do that. The latest blackberries seemed to fit my needs/wants well. I also really prefer candy bar form factor phones with keyboards, another reason why iphones and most android phones don't really interest me
    I agree.

Let me ask 2 slightly different questions in light of the new responses. I do think there will probably be at least one OS between OS 6 and a QNX platform. Do you think that the 9780 will be compatible with all the new software/ OS updates that will be released between now and the release of the first QNX phones? If not a QNX phone, do you think there will be a new generation of blackberries launched with OS7 within a relatively short time frame (6 months)? I would hate to get a 9780, which is a refresh, and then a completely new generation of the Bold is released within a couple months time. Plus I think I am eligible for a full upgrade in March, I really would hate to "waste" my upgrade (pretty sure I can get a partial one) on the 9780 now and then have a new bold come out around that time. Thanks again for everyone's input.
    If there will be a new OS in between QNX, I think it will be OS 6.5, not 7 and then a QNX based OS. I just think it would be foolish to develop and design a new OS while you are working to bring something you've designed to a smaller device. Not to mention the hours, man power, and money that would basically be wasted. RIM should just ride the bench for a little while and come back STRONG on the consumer end.

It's hard for me to speculate whether or not a pre-QNX OS would be compatible or not.

I can't tell you whether you should wait or not or if I will wait. Only you know your patience, what you can afford, what you need, what you want. The only real advice I can give you is that when/if the 9000 no longer does what you need it to do, how you need it to do it, then get a new device. That's what I did. My needs changed and I bought a device to use occasionally with and sometimes instead of my 9000.
    11-27-10 01:44 PM
    Exactly.
    That's why i think QNX phones won't be out to the market in 2 years, 2012 is highly possible or some time late in 2011. I'll guess 2012.

The weakness of blackberry cell phone compared to iphone is the appworld. RIM is going to release the playbook next year and of course there would be more apps for QNX based playbook. once everything is ready, sure they'll launch a QNX based phone. They won't release a immature QNX phone just because ppl want it and when it's out, lots of ppl complain about the insufficient apps.
    11-27-10 02:13 PM
    Great input from everyone. When I said OS 7, I was really thinking an update to OS 6, and 7 just came out naturally. I think your absolutely right (Cash) that it wouldn't make any sense to work on a new OS, when really they have the QNX OS, they just need to do whatever it is they need to for it to operate on the phones.

I am thinking late 2011 for the QNX phones.

However, do you think there will be one more generation of Blackberries using the OS6 traditional blackberry platform to come within 6 months. Really, I'm worried about a new bold, with a slightly bigger candy bar form factor (9000) with a keyboard and a touch screen coming out within that time frame. I know you can only offer mere speculation, but I'm interested in the opinions.

As of now I am leaning towards getting the 9780 as I have been hard on my 9000 and there are now a couple of issues with it as a result. But I guess my final decision will be based on what the exact price is I can get it for which I won't be able to find it until AT&T actually receives them.
    11-27-10 04:27 PM
    @CASH - didn't want to get a wind under your kilt but suggesting a different platform is not a capital offence. There are many out there that may be more agile than Blackberry simply because there are many manufacturers using them, such as Windows or Android. The OP stated he was growing bored with the 9000 and is looking for the next generation of RIM products; since that new generation may be months away there is nothing wrong with checking to see what other manufacturers are producing. In his original post he did not specify a wish other than a concern for something better coming out after his purchase.

@OP - I would not expect that the new QNX devices will be out in the very near future, it's all speculation that it will. OS6 is a huge improvement over your 9000, but if you feel that you may be disappointed if a new device comes out after your purchase, then you have a hard decision to make. Also, no one has seen nor are there specs on what the QNX devices will provide, so it is a big unknown. It may not be enough of an evolution as you may wish or expect. Again, the attributes of a QNX phone are pure speculation. Additionally, any evolutonary leaps may not be surrounding RIM's core strengths, but rather on those areas where Blackberries are considered by some to be weak. There was no disparaging thought to a suggestion that another platform may suit better.
    It is for the reasons I gave above that I suggested another platform, there were no assumptions or judgements made. Strictly opinion based on your original post. Just trying to get the most bang for your buck since the purchase of a phone is a large investment for a lot of 21 year olds.
    11-28-10 02:14 AM
    Well I'm going to suggest something different as a long time Blackberry user who also was in your position. Go to E-Bay get a 9700 as cheap as you can, upgrade it to OS6 and wait it out for a real upgrade. The 9780 does everything your phone does now, just better in a few notable areas and the 9700 will bridge you to QNX and past your upgrade.
    11-28-10 08:41 AM
    Exactly.
    That's why i think QNX phones won't be out to the market in 2 years, 2012 is highly possible or some time late in 2011. I'll guess 2012.

The weakness of blackberry cell phone compared to iphone is the appworld. RIM is going to release the playbook next year and of course there would be more apps for QNX based playbook. once everything is ready, sure they'll launch a QNX based phone. They won't release a immature QNX phone just because ppl want it and when it's out, lots of ppl complain about the insufficient apps.

In that context, how do you explain the Torch?
    11-28-10 10:07 AM
    @CASH - didn't want to get a wind under your kilt but suggesting a different platform is not a capital offence. There are many out there that may be more agile than Blackberry simply because there are many manufacturers using them, such as Windows or Android. The OP stated he was growing bored with the 9000 and is looking for the next generation of RIM products; since that new generation may be months away there is nothing wrong with checking to see what other manufacturers are producing. In his original post he did not specify a wish other than a concern for something better coming out after his purchase.
    I understand. I check what other manufacturers have out/have coming up when I'm considering a new device.
    11-28-10 12:27 PM
    Yeah, long wait. QNX is coming. Not around the corner though...

11-28-10 12:44 PM
    In that context, how do you explain the Torch?
    Torch is still using OS6, which is java based, and rim never treat it as an iphone killer. That's why they acquired QNX, to make an entirely different system and phone experience

11-28-10 03:37 PM
    I don't think we'll see a QNX based OS on a device until 3rd or 4th quarter 2011. I would upgrade from a 9000 to a 9700 (running OS6)/9780 in the meantime. The improvements in the device hardware and the OS itself would make it worthwhile.
    12-06-10 01:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD