Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    My Playbook has become very very slow. Mainly when browsing. I know others have same problem and part of it is just that browsers are woefully outdated.

On a PC, when it becomes slow, we add some RAM, defrag the HD, run Ccleaner and similar and generally clean things up.

My PB has 32GB. It reports Total Storage 29.5 GB, Free Storage 23.3 GB, Total Memory 1GB, Free memory 465.4 MB (while sitting doing nothing. ) Open Mail, bookreader and a website and Free memory drops to 100MB.

My primitive smartphone uses 3GB for the android system. Is there any way to reallocate some of the 32GB? It's really unused. Might as well have 8Gb .

How about just cleaning things up. Is there any way? I suppose some sort of rset, but then I read that it may not be possible to get back to last OS update?

Anyway, you get the picture - Is there a way to speed things up a bit? Especially browsing. Ihave the native browser, Origami, Dolphin and Simple Browser. Hardly any sites load. Many say certificates are bad or else they just stall before fully loading. Really hopeless for browsing these days.

I know I should get a better tablet. But may just have to accept it is what it is.
    12-14-18 08:07 PM
    My Playbook has become very very slow. Mainly when browsing. I know others have same problem and part of it is just that browsers are woefully outdated.

On a PC, when it becomes slow, we add some RAM, defrag the HD, run Ccleaner and similar and generally clean things up.

My PB has 32GB. It reports Total Storage 29.5 GB, Free Storage 23.3 GB, Total Memory 1GB, Free memory 465.4 MB (while sitting doing nothing. ) Open Mail, bookreader and a website and Free memory drops to 100MB.

My primitive smartphone uses 3GB for the android system. Is there any way to reallocate some of the 32GB? It's really unused. Might as well have 8Gb .

How about just cleaning things up. Is there any way? I suppose some sort of rset, but then I read that it may not be possible to get back to last OS update?

Anyway, you get the picture - Is there a way to speed things up a bit? Especially browsing. Ihave the native browser, Origami, Dolphin and Simple Browser. Hardly any sites load. Many say certificates are bad or else they just stall before fully loading. Really hopeless for browsing these days.

I know I should get a better tablet. But may just have to accept it is what it is.
    I'd suggest backing up your device and reloading the OS kwel. Some people appear to have had an odd activation error a few weeks ago but all appears well now. Unfortunately the issues you are describing are related to RAM (which is 1 GB on all PlayBook models) as opposed to storage (which is 32 GB on your model).

As for browsing, you might try converting an old Android browser for compatibility. For speed it's more a case of it being an older tablet.

However, one question: you mentioned "opening Mail." You have normal accounts set up through the PB mail app, yes? No third-party Android mail apps or anything?

Posted via CB10
    12-17-18 01:32 AM
    The browsing on the native browser speeds up considerably when you switch off Java and Flash. Obviously, this could cause even more sites not to work,but it does help in a lot of cases! Drop down menus, for example, are often Java based.

Not a speed thing, but you can add security certificates to the native browser so you can avoid the inability to view https sites that use the 'Let's Encrypt' authority.

I haven't had much luck with Android browsers on the Playbook but would be pleased to hear of some suggestions. I heard that Dolphin browser was a security risk so I deleted it.

I do use Origami browser (native and still based upon our ancient browser) and changing the user agent for mobile viewing can sometimes get things going or speeded up.

You are looking at figures and I can tell you the Playbook is pretty speedy on with multi tasking and having a few different apps open. It is rare but I do occasionally use the Playbook really hard still and it can impress with many browser tabs open, email running and PDF's on the go. If you add even one Android app in though, it can get overwhelmed and close an app. The problem is really the ancient browser being made to work over time with all the embedded junk in websites nowadays.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-18 03:34 AM
    I may resort to reloading the OS. What I was asking, is if there is some sort of memory manager like the ones that had on PCs that used HD as virtual RAM. Or a memory manager like some that are available for Android phones.

I seldom use the native browser, so could deactivate flash and java and see it it would work any better. I think I have tried that, at least on Origami.

When I switched to Origami a few years ago, it worked well. But not that well now. I have tried various settings. Any recommendations for settings? As you said, the security certificates are often a problem on all browsers. How exactly would I correct those on the Playbook?

I only once sideloaded an Android app (Overdrive), but it did not work, so have deleted it.

I only use the native mail program. It works OK. Only other one on the PB is the original Gmail which I have never used on PB.
    12-17-18 08:44 AM
    I may resort to reloading the OS. What I was asking, is if there is some sort of memory manager like the ones that had on PCs that used HD as virtual RAM. Or a memory manager like some that are available for Android phones.

I seldom use the native browser, so could deactivate flash and java and see it it would work any better. I think I have tried that, at least on Origami.

When I switched to Origami a few years ago, it worked well. But not that well now. I have tried various settings. Any recommendations for settings? As you said, the security certificates are often a problem on all browsers. How exactly would I correct those on the Playbook?

I only once sideloaded an Android app (Overdrive), but it did not work, so have deleted it.

I only use the native mail program. It works OK. Only other one on the PB is the original Gmail which I have never used on PB.
    The answer to your original question is no.
    12-17-18 08:59 AM
    Is MemPig able to run on a PlayBook? It's an unreleased BB10 app?

I imagine with a PlayBook it is just like rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic though!

Posted via CB10
    12-17-18 09:23 AM
    I'd suggest backing up your device and reloading the OS kwel. Some people appear to have had an odd activation error a few weeks ago but all appears well now.
    OK, I think I will try cleaning the PB up. I have some questions:

- I assume I can backup and restore using the Desktop app and a cable. Just what gets backed up? What I have, are downloaded files (mainly books) and certain apps that I use and paid for at some time. THings like Files & folders, Bookreader for epub and .. Ghost Commander, Kobo, Will I get all those back with a restore? Bookreaders store the book files in various places. Will those be restored?
    - How do I reinstall the OS? How do I first wipe PB clean and start the re-install?

Mail is not a concern. I only use the PB native program and all mail is imapped elsewhere.
    Last edited by kwelamnp; 12-27-18 at 07:28 PM.
    12-27-18 06:48 PM
    OK, I think I will try cleaning the PB up. I have some questions:

- I assume I can backup and restore using the Desktop app and a cable. Just what gets backed up? What I have, are downloaded files (mainly books) and certain apps that I use and paid for at some time. THings like Files & folders, Bookreader for epub and .. Ghost Commander, Kobo, Will I get all those back with a restore? Bookreaders store the book files in various places. Will those be restored?
    - How do I reinstall the OS? How do I first wipe PB clean and start the re-install?

Mail is not a concern. I only use the PB native program and all mail is imapped elsewhere.
    You will get the apps back with a full restore using Link. However, it's important to know that some of the apps may or may not be available in Blackberry World for re-download. Any app you have purchased however will be there.

Bookreader books should be present but it's good to double-check such things. I'll see if I can test that and let you know.

Reinstalling the OS is easy; you just run an autoloader. I'll post a link shortly with some instructions; doing a lot at once today.
    12-29-18 12:08 PM
    Thanks. Maybe explain how to wipe clean too. Do I use the "feature" on the Playbook?

No rush.
    12-29-18 12:42 PM
    You will get the apps back with a full restore using Link. However, it's important to know that some of the apps may or may not be available in Blackberry World for re-download. Any app you have purchased however will be there.

Bookreader books should be present but it's good to double-check such things. I'll see if I can test that and let you know.

Reinstalling the OS is easy; you just run an autoloader. I'll post a link shortly with some instructions; doing a lot at once today.
    Ok. You’re still around. Getting ready to send out the search party but cancelled for now..
    12-29-18 02:11 PM
    Ok. You’re still around. Getting ready to send out the search party but cancelled for now..
    Chuck, I'm touched. I didn't know you cared...I mean, Crackberry is now officially telling people to use GooBerrys so I figured everyone might be happier if I just faded away....

Unfortunately for The CB High Muckety-Mucks, they'll have to ban me.
    12-29-18 02:13 PM
    Chuck, I'm touched. I didn't know you cared...I mean, Crackberry is now officially telling people to use GooBerrys so I figured everyone might be happier if I just faded away....

Unfortunately for The CB High Muckety-Mucks, they'll have to ban me.
    You can’t spell TrumpetTiger without Trump, so you’re alright in my book... even if your opinions vary there as well. I have different opinions than others but I support everyone’s rights to have differing opinions.

To anyone that offers to help others, I’ll always support that right.....

I’m a Jesuit grad..... Men For Others....... in the human race
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-29-18 02:17 PM
    Search Party ...lol... you must be up on your "Society" (not to be confused with high-society) or "First Order" popular movies of late...no not that First Order of Kylo Ren (Star Wars- The Force Awakens )
    but Silence...
    not sure what it meant entirely (the movie), but Bishop Barron's commentary was interesting (on the latter)....
    01-15-19 03:30 PM