Can someone explain to me what qnx acquisition means to rim? Is qnx a new operating system?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    10-20-10 10:04 AM
    Can someone explain to me what qnx acquisition means to rim? Is qnx a new operating system?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    QNX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know the answer to your first question
    10-20-10 10:36 AM
    It means they just spent quite a large sum of money.
    10-20-10 11:55 AM
    Quantum Leap.

Our BlackBerry currently run Sun Java VM. That is the code that interacts with the CPU and makes it possible for coders to write instructions. It is an interpreter, much like BASIC was on our first personal computers. Old School and a serious handicap because all that code has to be stored in memory.

QNX takes over the job of shuffling bits in the CPU. The big difference is, it uses compiled code, much more efficient use of resources like memory. The Operating System is built on that kernal, much like Windows is built on the NT kernal.

Upgrading to the newest multi-core CPU's will be quick and effecient.
    10-20-10 12:48 PM
    10-20-10 12:50 PM
    What was the most exciting aspect of this project?

That’s easy: creating something that is more than the sum of its parts. Over the years, QNX and Research In Motionģ have developed phenomenal strengths in their respective domains. This project provided an opportunity to bring those strengths together on a single platform — and I believe we’ve succeeded brilliantly. Because our technologies are so complementary, and because our cultures are so compatible, we’ve been able to create a tablet OS that surpasses anything on the market today.
    Great find, thanks for the link.
    10-20-10 12:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD