Just read this on berryreview:
    If you needed any more proof that BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 is coming any day now along with BlackBerry Bridge v2.1 then here it is. Piotr @BBNews.pl noticed that RIM has published an updated security overview of BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 along with BlackBerry Bridge 2.1 (PDF Link). I am sure someone at RIM jumped the gun on this one but its pretty much a sure thing that this will launch very very soon. Keep on punching those �check for update� buttons and let us know!
    Attachment 117636

Good news
    09-24-12 10:59 AM
    I just dont care anymore, had enough of waiting around for RIM to sort this stuff out, so i went and ordered a Nexus 7 which will be here in a couple of days.
    I have buyers for the Playbook and BB phone.
    09-24-12 11:06 AM
    I bought a Nexus but took it back after 4 days..it just wasn't for me. Looking forward to bridge update because ill get to try out the text messaging being that i have .840 installed i wont have to wait for official update
    bitek likes this.
    09-24-12 11:14 AM
    ^^^ not caring should = ignore thread?

I don't care about rumors anymore. It comes when it comes.
    09-24-12 11:14 AM
    Got fed up waiting for apps that i need thats why i am switching back to android and as far as being advised to ignore this thread i have been a regular poster and big defender of RIM and the Playbook on here and in general so i think i have the right to post my feelings and thoughts but if the apps are not there then i cant do anything else as i stupidly believed the marketing hype of "professional grade tablet". I need a tablet for work and business use and this PB is just not up to the task and before anybody says i can run android apps on it, i have tried but most of the ones i need dont work.
    09-24-12 11:22 AM
    It's cool and you have been a great member here and can post whatever you wish. I could have past the thread by also and probably wouldn't have posted in it other than to comment on your post.

Weak moment here when I thought...... Why do they do that? Move on, then stay around to make sure everyone knows it and why. But it's all cool you can do that too. Sorry.
    litig8or98 and esk369 like this.
    09-24-12 11:31 AM
    It's cool and you have been a great member here and can post whatever you wish. I could have past the thread by also and probably wouldn't have posted in it other than to comment on your post.

Weak moment here when I thought...... Why do they do that? Move on, then stay around to make sure everyone knows it and why. But it's all cool you can do that too. Sorry.
    No problem, i think the PB is great hardware wise but i need the apps. I had to go back to carrying a laptop when on the road which i find a chore. A 7 inch tablet fits in my pocket.
    09-24-12 11:35 AM
    so i went and ordered a Nexus 7 which will be here in a couple of days.
    curious what do you see in the nexus 7? it doesn't have a rear camera, no expandable memory, no video out, only comes in 16gigs and jellybean doesn't support flash. aside from the apps i really don't see the gain.

i just hope RIM actually comes out with it sooner than later, I have no use for another tablet as I only use my playbook from time to time when i'm bored but it would be nice to see some long awaited features.
    09-24-12 11:46 AM
    curious what do you see in the nexus 7? it doesn't have a rear camera, no expandable memory, no video out, only comes in 16gigs and jellybean doesn't support flash. aside from the apps i really don't see the gain.
    Thats just it, the apps.
    I need the google services which no matter what some people say do not work properly on the PB as well as onenote, skype which we have just started to use and a few other apps.
    zynks likes this.
    09-24-12 11:52 AM
    A document from July hardly proves the update is tomorrow. However, it does give us some verification of the new bridge features - SMS and WiFi.
    mapsonburt likes this.
    09-24-12 11:56 AM
    No problem, i think the PB is great hardware wise but i need the apps. I had to go back to carrying a laptop when on the road which i find a chore. A 7 inch tablet fits in my pocket.
    Hope it works out better for you. And I'll still take these rumors with a grain of salt.
    09-24-12 12:06 PM
    People might take things i say the wrong way but i do hope RIM get things sorted and more of the apps people want come to the platform, and to be honest i might just keep the playbook as i am not going to get much for it with the recent price drop in the UK.

I hope 2.1 comes out and is a hit, i know all the blackberry users deserve it.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-24-12 12:12 PM
    Just read this on berryreview:
    If you needed any more proof that BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 is coming any day now along with BlackBerry Bridge v2.1 then here it is. Piotr @BBNews.pl noticed that RIM has published an updated security overview of BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 along with BlackBerry Bridge 2.1 (PDF Link). I am sure someone at RIM jumped the gun on this one but its pretty much a sure thing that this will launch very very soon. Keep on punching those �check for update� buttons and let us know!
    Attachment 117636

Good news
    Ok back on topic.

I actually love the BB Balance cause it puts a password on my email box so now I don't feel nervous giving it to the kids to play with. Just wish RIM would add this as a normal feature to every user.
    09-24-12 12:22 PM
    I just dont care anymore, had enough of waiting around for RIM to sort this stuff out, so i went and ordered a Nexus 7 which will be here in a couple of days.
    I have buyers for the Playbook and BB phone.
    Thank you for contributing to the advancement of knowledge in this thread.

Some of us do care.
    louzer and scotjimland like this.
    09-24-12 12:54 PM
    Aside from SMS, it also lists video and music as apps that work over bridge (probably due to bridge over wifi now).
    Toodeurep likes this.
    09-24-12 12:55 PM
    .. so i think i have the right to post my feelings and thoughts...
    Yes, post away but create your own thread instead of taking other threads off topic like you did with this one. I think there is even a specific area to post for people that are switching away from blackberry.
    09-24-12 12:59 PM
    reading thru the documentation now, let's see what tidbits we can gleen from this...

Update: Wi-Fi Bridge confirmed
    After the Bluetooth pairing process and the BlackBerry Bridge pairing process completes between a tablet and smartphone, and both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network, the tablet and smartphone can use a Wi-Fi connection instead of a Bluetooth connection to send data between each other. The tablet and the smartphone communicate over a mutually authenticated TLS connection.
    09-24-12 01:23 PM
    Wi-Fi bridge is tied to bluetooth bridge...you need to set up a bluetooth connection first, but then if both phone and tablet are on the same wifi network they will automatically establish a secure wifi connection btw each other. If the bluetooth connection is broken (e.g. you disable bluetooth) the wifi connection is also broken.

The wifi connection allows for faster and bigger data transmission btw the tablet and the phone.

Not that it's surprising but SMS texting was also mentioned several times in the documentation.
    09-24-12 01:57 PM
    Update: Wi-Fi Bridge confirmed
    well,are you sure such a document guarantees us ("...confirmed...") they will include such a feature right away in 2.1?

possibe ... yes. likely ... ok. they prepared everything...sure. they make sure security features are known in dev community or companies ... yes.

but wifi confirmed is a bold statement. is it so?

Ray

Gesendet von meinem BlackBerry Playbook "Android Player" mit Tapatalk
    09-24-12 01:57 PM
    I'm just curious who said it was coming out tomorrow and how do we know?
    09-24-12 03:23 PM
    Oh please tell us more twdawson, please.
    09-24-12 03:27 PM
    Wow isn't it funny as soon as somebody says they are switching away from blackberry they are then treated like the enemy. I thought apple fanboys were bad but some people on here need to get a girlfriend or some other thing to occupy their time.
    09-24-12 04:14 PM
    Just a thought, but the OS7 generation of phones can become mobile wifi hotspots, right?

Why wouldn't the playbook be able to pair with bluetooth and then just use the hotspot feature of the phone for wifi bridge?

I'll probably upgrade from my 9800 to a 9810 just for that benefit alone.
    Last edited by morlock_man; 09-24-12 at 04:22 PM.
    09-24-12 04:19 PM
    Wow isn't it funny as soon as somebody says they are switching away from blackberry they are then treated like the enemy. I thought apple fanboys were bad but some people on here need to get a girlfriend or some other thing to occupy their time.
    @twdawson
    I didn't mind your post. I think the problem is that a lot of people come here just to post negative stuff about BB & how they are "leaving" BB. They do this just to get a rise out of people. I don't think that was your intention & thus in my mind that makes your post valid
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-24-12 04:35 PM
    Man - there are way too many unrelated posts in this thread. Can you guys just be quiet and stop discussing why you may or may not leave BlackBerry. it is irrelevant.

On topic - I am hoping the update pops up tomorrow. But now that I know the document was from July, I am just not feeling as hopeful. But... hopefully RIM will prove me wrong and we will get it tomorrow. Seems like a good enough day: Blackberry Jam, a Tuesday, been a long freaking while.
    q649 likes this.
    09-24-12 05:09 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD