Well, I must admit I've been querying the forums and got several answers, more or less in accordance with my thoughts. So, maybe the simplest is that I state what I have in mind regarding these two procedures :

[this is what I believe true and is there for discussion, please bring some additional light, I'll edit and bust if necessary ... so maybe we could make a sticky with ?]

1. Wipe ("Security wipe")
      Wipe is intended for removal of (personal) files and applications.
      In my understanding, it does not remove the system files, even if a setup procedure is engaged after the wipe (I believe this is needed, since the wipe is commonly used for safety reasons, so that it is necessary to obtain new parameters and maybe some setup files that are removed after setup).
    2. Debrick ("Debrick method")
      Debrick is intended for returning the PB to its factory state, with the latest OS available (incl. betas if you have followed the adequate procedure). Everything is deleted prior to installation of the "birthday suit" OS.

P.S: in both cases, for obvious security reasons, if your PB is password protected, it will remain so.

If this is correct, in the actual context of beta diffusion (2.1.0.560), it may have sense when encountering issues to choose the debrick method against the security wipe.
    Also, I read several times that users perform a restore after a wipe/debrick ... this sounds very weird to me, as - unless it is very targeted and sequenced - they will probably re-inject some problems doing so: remember that instability may come with several apps parameters (cf the Youtube problems with latest beta and several "TV" apps that seems to overwrite the Flash player).

Please, do not turn this thread in a "wahhh, RIM should do this or that" one, this is a positive attempt with one target : (trying to) making it clear ... Now, here you go.
    06-04-12 09:23 AM
    Wipe worked fine for me Cleared out my junk android files. No app data restored
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-04-12 09:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD