Read the article techcrunch gave here: http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/21/bla...-dod-in-april/

Could this mean the playbook update is coming in april?
    Last edited by iblakejames; 03-30-13 at 10:24 AM.
    03-25-13 09:01 AM
    What does the new update if it comes mean for apps. Here is an email that I got from Groovy NotesMaybe I should start a separate thread for this)
    "Most of our apps will need to be purchased again for Z10/BB10. The reason for this is that the application isn't the same. It took us 5 months and 4 developers to port all our apps to BB10.

PlayBook is primarily a landscape device but the BB10 (Z10) is primarily a portrait device. Also although higher resolution, the screen-size is small. Some of the applications had to be redone from scratch and therefore we have listed them as separate apps from the PlayBook versions. The features of the application is the same as the PlayBook versions but the interface has been changed to suit the device. We had to spend almost the same (and in some cases more) development effort as with the original apps to have these ported to BB10.

I hope you understand that supporting development of these apps on two completely different orientations and screen sizes takes considerable amount of development effort.

Thanks & Regards,

KP
    Find us On: Web: XLabz Technologies Private Limited - Product Development, Flex Platform Consultancy, Mobile Application Development, Flex, RIA Applications, Mobile Learning, mLearning. Flex Consultancy, India - Flash, Flex, iPad, AIR, XLabs, iPhone | Facebook: www.facebook.com/XLabz | Twitter: www.twitter.com/XLabzTech"
    vipkyd, toobs623, Bilaal and 2 others like this.
    03-25-13 09:05 AM
    This is not about apps. its about the update.
    03-25-13 09:07 AM
    read the article they gave here: BlackBerry On The Defensive, Says BB10 And PlayBook Getting Approved By The DoD In April | TechCrunch

Could this mean the playbook update is coming in april?
    nope !
    03-25-13 09:16 AM
    Not really, don't see any mention in the article that BB10 on the PlayBook was a requirement for it getting approved. It simply states that BB10 devices AND the PlayBook should be approved by early April.
    howarmat likes this.
    03-25-13 09:18 AM
    Not really, don't see any mention in the article that BB10 on the PlayBook was a requirement for it getting approved. It simply states that BB10 devices AND the PlayBook should be approved by early April.
    This exactly. The article has been posted before I think saying the same thing and is confusing but I'm pretty sure this is no indication of button the playbook at all
    03-25-13 09:21 AM
    Oh. guess I got my hopes up for nothing. and yes it was confusing
    03-25-13 09:39 AM
    Well wait just a minute this is definitely news, I seriously doubt that BB can pass the PB through DOD at its current state (sorry BB but latest update broke more staff than fixed) so would certainly say there is an update coming, where that is bb10 or not that remains to be seen.

Although there is one point that puzzles me, bb10 was almost certainly tested and developed at least at the beginning on the PB as it was the first QNX device. Why won't they release it? What is marketing afraid off?
    03-25-13 10:22 AM
    Well wait just a minute this is definitely news, I seriously doubt that BB can pass the PB through DOD at its current state
    Given that the PlayBook has certain FIPS compliance, and is the only tablet device capable of device level encryption, I put it to you that it's probably the only tablet that's likely to pass any standards or requirements of DOD.
    03-25-13 10:55 AM
    What does the new update if it comes mean for apps. Here is an email that I got from Groovy Notes: (...)
    Well, OTOH we *just* got a plain update for GroovyNotes, two days ago, so to me this clearly means the guys do work for us...
    03-25-13 01:07 PM
    Given that the PlayBook has certain FIPS compliance, and is the only tablet device capable of device level encryption, I put it to you that it's probably the only tablet that's likely to pass any standards or requirements of DOD.
    The Surface is too - device encryption is enabled automatically on Windows RT once you sign in with a Microsoft Account. MS's BitLocker tech is FIPS compliant too.
    03-25-13 02:12 PM
    I dont have a probkem with PB OS 2.1 I love it.
    Why is everyone so obsessed with BB10 on PB?
    Unless of course, you enjoy a laggy interface and a "back to square one" ecosystem.
    Only way you're going to get BB10 on a tablet is if BB designs a new one from scratch. And that will come after the ecosystem matures and if it even makes sense from a business standpoint.
    icemetal likes this.
    03-25-13 02:28 PM
    Unless of course, you enjoy a laggy interface and a "back to square one" ecosystem.
    Only way you're going to get BB10 on a tablet is if BB designs a new one from scratch. And that will come after the ecosystem matures and if it even makes sense from a business standpoint.
    the playbook would not lose its "playbook apps" webworks compatibility with an update to bb10 it would only be added to
    03-25-13 03:03 PM
    The Surface is too - device encryption is enabled automatically on Windows RT once you sign in with a Microsoft Account. MS's BitLocker tech is FIPS compliant too.
    Fair play, and good point - now joined by the Surface.
    03-25-13 03:27 PM
    What does it matter? If the DOD wanted to buy 1,000 Playbooks were could they do it? Does the Gov buy from Ebay?
    03-25-13 03:38 PM
    What does it matter? If the DOD wanted to buy 1,000 Playbooks were could they do it? Does the Gov buy from Ebay?
    ahem, maybe a little canadian firm called Blackberry. Ya heard of it ?
    03-25-13 03:41 PM
    For starter, the ecosystem for PB OS 2.1 is dead. All new apps and developer love will come in the form of BB10.
    We need to move to BB10 in order to get new apps. From what I've read, most of the existing PB apps should work under BB10.
    The current PB browser kind of sucks. We need the new BB10 browser.
    The Z10 keyboard will be great even though it is an evolution from the current PB keyboard.
    What about some the BB Z10 apps like, timeshift, BB travel, Storymaker, maps, BB traffic etc etc.
    axllebeer likes this.
    03-25-13 04:27 PM
    For starter, the ecosystem for PB OS 2.1 is dead. All new apps and developer love will come in the form of BB10.
    We need to move to BB10 in order to get new apps. From what I've read, most of the existing PB apps should work under BB10.
    The current PB browser kind of sucks. We need the new BB10 browser.
    The Z10 keyboard will be great even though it is an evolution from the current PB keyboard.
    What about some the BB Z10 apps like, timeshift, BB travel, Storymaker, maps, BB traffic etc etc.
    I totally agree with this. this is why we need bb10 for our playbook.
    Barracuda7772 likes this.
    03-25-13 06:11 PM
    i have heard from a friend who cuts my sisters, doodle's hair that she heard it from a guy she used to sleep with, that also dated her ex friend that BB10 isn't coming to Playbook....but wait for it.....BB11 is definitely coming to Playbook April 1st.....

Really..

She,He,It, wouldn't lie.....
    BerryWife likes this.
    03-26-13 08:03 PM
    Can't hold much longer.....
    03-26-13 09:33 PM
    we need BB10on playbook sooner than later. browser is better since last update but it still needs improvement. typing on keyboard is no fun either. Id love to see PB with 2GB ram from the start as well
    03-26-13 09:56 PM
    What I want most from BB10 is the browser. The 2.1 browser is so freaking slow.

Posted via CB10
    eelect likes this.
    03-26-13 10:00 PM
    if my bridge will be crippled i sure as **** wont upgrade
    03-26-13 10:15 PM
    I'm with you on this point.
    03-27-13 12:39 AM
    ya know cause bridge.can get worse than it is right now................you do know that it can only get better right

you ever thought the reason the z10 bridge sucks so bad is actually because of the playbook ?
    03-27-13 06:21 AM
142 123 ...