So I know that current BB7 and later devices won't get any upgrade to BB10 because of hardware requirements like a dual core processor etc. but there has not been any confirmation or even information on the availability of BB10 on the PlayBook. I love my PlayBook and I am considering the purchase of a second gen when it is released. But if the first or second gen PlayBooks won't be upgradeable to BB10, then i will wait for the third gen that should come with it. Does anyone know anything about PlayBooks being upgradeable to BB10?
    01-30-12 04:44 PM
    Os2 is basically the tablet version of BB10, minus phone functions
    01-30-12 04:46 PM
    The PlayBook is already running BB10 in every way that matters. Right now it has what's called Tablet OS, and Tablet OS 2.0 is coming in February. When they release a version that works on phones they'll rename Tablet OS to BB10, this will probably happen with BB10 3.0 (but that's just speculation). All PlayBook apps will be compatible with BB10 given they're basically the same thing.

The only reason it hasn't been renamed yet is they want to wait till all the features are done. That way the first BB10 reviews will be of the complete experience, rather than what we're getting in the PlayBook which is still lacking features like universal search and BBM (even in OS 2.0).
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-30-12 05:20 PM
    I remember that they said they would be "combining" QNX and BBOS to create a new OS with the best of both. Current PlayBooks really only run on QNX made technology.
    01-31-12 08:59 PM
    I remember that they said they would be "combining" QNX and BBOS to create a new OS with the best of both. Current PlayBooks really only run on QNX made technology.
    PB from the begining is QNX.
    OS10 will be QNX.

Basically, PB OS 2.0 AND OS 10 will tun the same core OS ... one may say PB has been the "lab" prior to OS10 ;-)
    02-01-12 05:11 AM
    All they meant by that was "combining" the features. As in, making features from BBOS like BBM available on Tablet OS/BB10 (QNX). It is in no way actually combining the OS itself, there will no BBOS code in BB10, and no BBOS apps will run on it.
    02-01-12 04:17 PM
    The PlayBook is already running BB10 in every way that matters. Right now it has what's called Tablet OS, and Tablet OS 2.0 is coming in February. When they release a version that works on phones they'll rename Tablet OS to BB10, this will probably happen with BB10 3.0 (but that's just speculation). All PlayBook apps will be compatible with BB10 given they're basically the same thing.

The only reason it hasn't been renamed yet is they want to wait till all the features are done. That way the first BB10 reviews will be of the complete experience, rather than what we're getting in the PlayBook which is still lacking features like universal search and BBM (even in OS 2.0).
    I wish RIM had 'Bridged' the Text Message app from the Blackberry so that i could read and respond to Text Messages using the Playbook (just like email and BBM messages)...
    02-01-12 04:56 PM
    can we really call Tablet OS, BB10 before it gets BBM? I'm thinking they may be closer to OS2.5 or 3 before BB10 comes out.
    02-01-12 07:10 PM
    can we really call Tablet OS, BB10 before it gets BBM? I'm thinking they may be closer to OS2.5 or 3 before BB10 comes out.
    Well, you can. Personally, I don't care what anyone calls it as long as it works. I never use BBM but I would like to see the texting functions bridged. But regardless, I have another 18 months on my 9850 anyway and forever on my PB so I'll let them decide on a moniker and use my devices regardless.
    02-01-12 07:29 PM
    Apple has brainwashed everyone into thinking you must use apps, flash is some insignificant thing nobody uses on the web and that if it isn't named EXACTLY the same then they are completely differrent. The playbook is running BB10. The Playbook and the BB10 are both just a modified QNX os.
    02-02-12 06:13 PM
    Will BBM10 on the playbook run legacy BB7 & BB6 apps?
    02-02-12 10:22 PM
    Yes and No.

The majority of BB OS apps are created using RIM's version of Java Mobile. BB10/PlaybBook runs Native QNX apps, Flex/Air based apps and WebWorks/HTML5 apps.

If the application was created using WebWorks/HTML5, then it could be ported over to the BB10 and PlayBook.
    02-03-12 09:28 AM
    No, it's all new. PlayBook apps however will work. There's a small subset of apps that work on both PlayBook and BBOS (WebWorks apps), they will continue to work.
    02-03-12 01:27 PM
    I am thinking that maybe BB10 will have a BBOS player that will allow the older apps to run under QNX. This may be important when RIM rolls our the QNX phones and end users want to migrate there existing apps over. From an apps view users don't liking going backwards. How many BBOS phones and apps are out there.? Then over time migrate to the new QNX native apps. Much like when Apple went from OS9 to OSX.
    02-04-12 09:16 AM
    Well BB10 devices should run the HTML applications, but RIM might as well migrate from the Java applications completely. They are apparently going to keep BB7 around to put in cheaper phones, so those apps will have a use. They will just have too much fragmentation if the BB10 devices run everything the PlayBook does plus Java. That would be AIR based, HTML5, Native (C++), Android, and then Java. That's just too much.
    herol likes this.
    02-05-12 07:44 AM
    I am thinking that maybe BB10 will have a BBOS player that will allow the older apps to run under QNX.
    At one point this was apparently the plan, but it seems to have been abandoned.

I suspect that, after closely examining the early results, they concluded it wasn't going to give very good results in any number of ways.
    02-05-12 10:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD