I think RIM has every reason and necessity to port BB10 to the PlayBook. If they don't, they are out of the tablet race. The PB hardware is pretty good enough even now. It is the software that lacks the killer punch. If BB10 really has that killer punch they need to put it on the PB as soon as possible and get some good reviews out of it. Then, they are immediately back into the tablet race and can plan a new tablet with updated specs for the 2013 holiday season..
    peter9477 and magutwit like this.
    11-06-12 03:12 PM
    Well, many have tried and few have succeeded in making profit within the tablet market (Apple and perhaps Samsung). In all honesty, I doubt RIM will continue their effort in making 2nd gen PB, not until they have recaptured their loss share in smartphone market.

The only obvious reason for them to provide BB 10 experience in PB is because they have promised it before.

Nonetheless, for keep providing us PB users with updates that make our PB even better after 1.5yr while booking loss with every PB sold, is really impressive. That's what I called commitment and integrity, something that journalists and whiners often failed to recognize.

I think RIM has every reason and necessity to port BB10 to the PlayBook. If they don't, they are out of the tablet race.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    11-09-12 03:26 AM
    If RIM decides it's a waste of their time, and us off then yea it could happen. But I don't think RIM would do that. They already went downhill for not listening to the consumers years ago. They're now doing their best to please us. It would be a downright offense to not give us BB10 for the Playbook when they even promised it. Don't worry about it. There has been more news about BB10, Developers + Apps, and Reviews recently so it's coming soon.
    magutwit likes this.
    11-09-12 11:52 AM
    Since we're being honest about the PlayBook's success, I thnk a comparison to other tablets on the market may be germane to this discussion.

"Apple Sells Three Million iPads in Three Days
    Wi-Fi Only Models of New iPad mini & Fourth Generation iPad Double Previous First Weekend Sales."

This particular tablet manufacturer sold about twice the number of tablets in 3 days as RIM has ever sold. Remember this number doesn't include iPad 2 sales. More importantly, the LTE versions (out in less than a month) of the mini were not offered for sale on that weekend.

The PlayBook is a stunning commercial failure.

My opinion is that BB10 will arrive around July 2012 for the PlayBook. It would be too embarrassing even for RIM not to throw some sort of a bone after their repeated promises. It will, however, receive resources from RIM commensurate with its success in the market. There is a high probability that the user experience will be suboptimal upon release. It is unlikely that this will change significantly over time considering that the hardware will be over 2 years old at that point and RIM will likely continue to apportion their expenditures in a way that maximizes their likelihood of survival.

Playbook OS updates and bug fixes will be starved for funding.

EOLing the product and a complete retrenchment from the tablet market for the foreseeable future is the likely outcome.
    Well said,

It's about "resources". My experience with other manufacturers is they tend to "forget" those customers who purchased xyz product at a earlier date and put all their focus on "new" product releases.

Say you have 10 people you can allocate... How many people are you going to put on a older product (In which you've already cashed and spent the money) vs a "new" item which promises FUTURE income?

Another issue that comes up is, "updates" to current or EOL item that extend the lifespan or useability CANNIBALIZING. sales of the new -wiz-bang- super duper- we-fixed all the stuff in the previous model that should have been right from the get-go... model.

Hope RIM is the exception to the rule.
    11-09-12 12:39 PM
    It's not. It would have to be modified to fit the form factor, tested etc. Making an OS is not trivial.
    You are speaking about the user interface (UI) not the operating system (OS). The BlackBerry 10 OS for smartphones and tablets could be the same, maybe different device drivers, while the UI is customized for the platform (smartphone v. tablet).
    BerryClever likes this.
    11-11-12 01:52 PM
    it will be, it's already being tested internally.
    BerryClever likes this.
    11-11-12 03:44 PM
    People need to read this post more so they can stop saying it won't. Makes me soooooo mad
    BerryClever likes this.
    11-27-12 03:22 PM
    bb10 will do well, people will buy it just for the lockscreen
    12-17-12 10:25 AM
    I thought someone from RIM confirmed on Twitter that it will be released (beta) on the PB before launch...
    12-17-12 10:40 AM
    I thought someone from RIM confirmed on Twitter that it will be released (beta) on the PB before launch...
    BlackBerrydev confirmed it. Hiens confirmed it. Bulboun confirmed it. its been confirmed over and over again.
    magutwit likes this.
    12-17-12 11:01 AM
    One concern I do have is the resource requirement BB 10 may need.

I have multiple 16GB PBs with only 5Gs left in each one of them.

I hope BB10 OS will not require too much more available memory as PBOS 2.1 had.

I had wondered about that when RIM released the 4G with a minimum 32GB.
    12-17-12 03:15 PM
    BlackBerrydev confirmed it. Hiens confirmed it. Bulboun confirmed it. its been confirmed over and over again.
    But once again, this "before launch" has never been "before launch of the BB10 phones". The beta for PlayBook will come when betas do, which is before launch on the PlayBook. But definitely after the phones are released.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    12-17-12 06:09 PM
    One concern I do have is the resource requirement BB 10 may need.
    So you stick a micro SD card in with an extra 128GB and you're all good, right?
    12-17-12 06:10 PM
    Why is there another useless thread on this issue. It WAS confirmed BB10 WILL come to the playbook on a date yet to be determined...
    BerryClever likes this.
    12-17-12 06:16 PM
    So you stick a micro SD card in with an extra 128GB and you're all good, right?
    Where you going to stick that microsd? lol Playbook does not have one.
    magutwit likes this.
    12-17-12 06:19 PM
    Where you going to stick that microsd? lol Playbook does not have one.
    Haha! Good point.... well, pretend I was referring to unannounced, hypothetical, future PlayBooks then. ;-)
    12-19-12 09:16 AM
    The biggest I don't care as much if the ui changes what I am really looking forward to is better apps. Can't wait to get rid of the air crap on my PlayBook. Facebook I'm looking at you and if the shoe fits wear it browser.
    12-19-12 04:53 PM
    There will always be air crap on bb10 like it or not.
    12-21-12 01:05 AM
    Like others, I was still holding on Heins' commitment to PlayBook... but like others too, I was also having a doubt from business point-of-view... there is no profitable reason for RIM to do that - in fact, it will be a cost for them... the same probable reason why in spite of the fact that some of the latest BB phones such as the famous P'9981, Bold™ 9900, 9930, etc. has similar specs with PlayBook (or even better on the case of those BB phones having a 1.2GHz processor) will never be upgraded to BB10 due to non-profitable but rather cost added value on part of RIM... even not in full functional level as new BB10 phones (but the experience of having it) and the continual marketing of those devices, for at least another year, or until the inventory depleted and still make marginal profits...

The only way for RIM to make the "upgrade" profitable for them (enough to pay added resources they will utilize) is to ask for upgrade payment... or release a new version of PlayBook running in BB10...

Hopefully, Heins' openly public-announced commitment is enough to fulfill RIM's commitment to PlayBook...
    12-21-12 02:33 AM
    Like others, I was still holding on Heins' commitment to PlayBook... but like others too, I was also having a doubt from business point-of-view... there is no profitable reason for RIM to do that - in fact, it will be a cost for them... the same probable reason why in spite of the fact that some of the latest BB phones such as the famous P'9981, Bold� 9900, 9930, etc. has similar specs with PlayBook (or even better on the case of those BB phones having a 1.2GHz processor) will never be upgraded to BB10 due to non-profitable but rather cost added value on part of RIM... even not in full functional level as new BB10 phones (but the experience of having it) and the continual marketing of those devices, for at least another year, or until the inventory depleted and still make marginal profits...

The only way for RIM to make the "upgrade" profitable for them (enough to pay added resources they will utilize) is to ask for upgrade payment... or release a new version of PlayBook running in BB10...

Hopefully, Heins' openly public-announced commitment is enough to fulfill RIM's commitment to PlayBook...
    I think it makes sense from the business point of view to have them update the PB. It is about customers and they need customers. They want to stay in the tablet market so they need to use what they have now to get people to buy another RIM tablet. They want to make money off of new hardware, so phones are the way to go. They want to differentiate from the competition, and quality and commitment (or appearance since it is only 1 product line, the line they want to continue, but that hurt them the most) will do it.

They were and will be written off by the press, but if they can get customers to pick up and look at their products because they are sick of buying a new product that is 3 seconds faster and with 4 added pixels to an already HD screen, then they can experience what the media will ignore- the innovated new OS.

The media will not help them until their readers use and like BBs again. They need the current customers to be happy, they need to promote quality and commitment and compare that to their competition, they need to have the people with PB to say that they got this advanced new OS for free and didn't have to buy a whole new tablet, and they need to get the people who are fed up with feeling forced to spend hundreds a year to "upgrade" to curiously pick up a BB product at a store and try it. Thats my viewpoint at least. Money comes after the foundation of a business, and the foundation of a business is the customers. Lucky for RIM, they have money to spend at that foundation.
    12-21-12 03:47 PM
    I got the 64g PB in anticipation of the BB10 availability. Largest storeage just in case BB10 need a lot of room.

I eagerly await BB10 on the PB, since it will be a while before I upgrade to a BB10 device from the Torch 9860.
    TroubleTrouble likes this.
    12-23-12 09:38 PM
    Honestly, there really is no point in them porting BB10 to the PB. The PB is pretty much dead, it cant get any better. And with all the better tablets out on the market (surface, nexus,) PB is as good as dead. There is just no way RIM can support it's dying product
    12-27-12 04:20 PM
    Honestly, there really is no point in them porting BB10 to the PB. The PB is pretty much dead, it cant get any better. And with all the better tablets out on the market (surface, nexus,) PB is as good as dead. There is just no way RIM can support it's dying product
    Wrong. PB is the perfect test bed to run BB10 if RIM continues in the tablet sector. I guess everyone forgot all those great 3D Cascade apps that were running silky smooth on the..what's that device again? .. Oh yeah the PlayBook! What's the difference between the development alpha phone hardware and the playbook..virtually the same.. It's the same qnx .. Only main difference its running a Cascades framework.. So yeah it'll take some work.. But it's not impossible and it'll run well. To me, BB10 on the playbook just makes sense from RIM's next development strategy.
    12-27-12 04:46 PM
    The current BlackBerry PlayBook can stand up against the newest tablet offerings from other manufacturers.
    12-27-12 08:25 PM
    The current BlackBerry PlayBook can stand up against the newest tablet offerings from other manufacturers.
    Sure the PB can stand up, but it can't compete. Otherwise why would it sell for below $200
    12-27-12 08:37 PM
106 1234 ...