Ok so I've been thinking for quite a while now about whether to buy the Torch form Rogers then unlock it to use it on Fido (my current carrier). But I've also been thinking about the rumored QNX Software that might come to BBs in the future and yes I have gotten a little excited when I read about it. So my question is should I buy the BB Torch from Rogers for $683 (including tax) next week or wait next year when I am due for an upgrade if Fido decides to carry a BB with the QNX OS (if that rumor becomes true)? Hard to decide between the two as you can tell. Oh and I've also read that it would be out sometime in 2011. Thanks for input guys. Cheers!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-10 08:52 PM
    I guess that would depend on a few factors. Why do you want the Torch? Is there something new in the feature set that intrigues you? Also, it may not be a good idea to wait for a device that you don't know if it will ever get made. Then again, it is always smart to wait for your upgrade. I would say keep what you have now if it is meeting all of your needs and wait for the upgrade. If it isn't meeting all of your needs, then I would say go get a Torch if you think you will be happy with it.

10-22-10 09:04 PM
    I guess that would depend on a few factors. Why do you want the Torch? Is there something new in the feature set that intrigues you? Also, it may not be a good idea to wait for a device that you don't know if it will ever get made. Then again, it is always smart to wait for your upgrade. I would say keep what you have now if it is meeting all of your needs and wait for the upgrade. If it isn't meeting all of your needs, then I would say go get a Torch if you think you will be happy with it.

I have the Bold 9000 for about a year now and I love it. Meets all my needs buut, the trackball and the app memory is killing it for me. If those two weren't a problem I wouldve never switched. I guess it is a good idea to wait till me next upgrade or maybe just pickup a used good condition Bold 9700 which would fix those problems. At the moment i'm on my second trackball and its not too bad but as long as I can replace it, it should be too much of an issue. But the real issue here is the app memory. When its fully drained I'd have to do a hard reset on the device which would drop the battery life by about 10-30% depending if the charger is plugged in while the reset and I usually start around 14MB after a hard reset with 18 apps installed.

Last edited by luqman24; 10-22-10 at 09:54 PM.
    10-22-10 09:49 PM
    Ok so I've been thinking for quite a while now about whether to buy the Torch form Rogers then unlock it to use it on Fido (my current carrier). But I've also been thinking about the rumored QNX Software that might come to BBs in the future and yes I have gotten a little excited when I read about it. So my question is should I buy the BB Torch from Rogers for $683 (including tax) next week or wait next year when I am due for an upgrade if Fido decides to carry a BB with the QNX OS (if that rumor becomes true)? Hard to decide between the two as you can tell. Oh and I've also read that it would be out sometime in 2011. Thanks for input guys. Cheers!

There's always something better coming next year. At this point, we don't know when a BlackBerry will ship with QNX as its OS. It is pure speculation at this point. When one ships, it could be a CDMA device and not compatible with your provider. Finally, Fido doesn't get too many high-end phones these days so whether they would have the new device is anybody's guess.

The Torch is a great phone. I got mine the first day the were on sale in Canada and I love it.
    10-22-10 10:29 PM
    There's always something better coming next year. At this point, we don't know when a BlackBerry will ship with QNX as its OS. It is pure speculation at this point. When one ships, it could be a CDMA device and not compatible with your provider. Finally, Fido doesn't get too many high-end phones these days so whether they would have the new device is anybody's guess.

The Torch is a great phone. I got mine the first day the were on sale in Canada and I love it.
    This. A device becomes outdated from the day the damn thing is launched. I never thought I would see devices hit EOL so quickly. Look at the BB pearl. That thing took forever to be revamped and now the poor thing is probably outdated. The torch is the new, hot and now thing. In a few weeks when another phone leaks out, that will be the lust. It will be a mass improvement over your 9000 if that is what your looking for.
    10-22-10 10:37 PM
    It doesn't really matter what comes out next or what is considered outdated, its about what you want. If you want a trackpad and more app memory and those are the only two things that you are concerned with, the 9700 or 9800 should be able to satisfy you. Because chances are, you will do the same thing with your next phone as you will with your current one. So why chase the latest and greatest of tomorrow when what you need is available today.

10-23-10 02:48 AM
    It doesn't really matter what comes out next or what is considered outdated, its about what you want. If you want a trackpad and more app memory and those are the only two things that you are concerned with, the 9700 or 9800 should be able to satisfy you. Because chances are, you will do the same thing with your next phone as you will with your current one. So why chase the latest and greatest of tomorrow when what you need is available today.

Exactly, as I'm fine with my 9700 and all, I don't even have the cash to jump over to the next newest device. If I originally wanted to stick with winmo (I was a winmo user, owner of a ppc 6700 for 2.5 years), I would've gotten the pro2. I still miss the apps and all, but shucks, I wanted a change, and I have never been happier to use this very berry. It does all I want it to do.

PS. New isn't always better. Because there are always going to be refreshes. Stick with what you got until it decides to become non-functional after you tried everything to bring it back to full functionality again. By that time, they'll have a new lineup of new stuff to sample and try out.

10-23-10 05:12 AM
    I also have a 9000 and still love it except for the reasons pointed out above. However I think I'm going to wait until I see what comes out in 2011 because I'm not big into touch screens so I don't really care for the torch. I'm holding out hope for what will probably never happen$ an updated 9000 with a track pad and more memory.

10-23-10 06:07 AM
    I also have a 9000 and still love it except for the reasons pointed out above. However I think I'm going to wait until I see what comes out in 2011 because I'm not big into touch screens so I don't really care for the torch. I'm holding out hope for what will probably never happen$ an updated 9000 with a track pad and more memory.

And an 8MP camera or is that too far fetched lol. But yeah I will hang on till next summer and if not, i'll just pickup a 9700 and wait till my remaining 2 years are up and jump ship to Rogers since they have better plans and phones. But if I do pickup a 9700, I know i'll definitely miss this large fantastic keyboard

Last edited by luqman24; 10-23-10 at 11:06 AM.
    10-23-10 10:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD