I'm tired of all these topics full of complaints. Like PBOS isn't a full system you've gladly been using for years!
    The only legitimate complaint I thought was the downgrade of Bridge from OS7. But when I actually looked at it more closely, BB10 does a few things that people seem to miss. Things that actually make it more useful. And the useful functions that are missing are easily explained (and fixable with other apps).

So here I go, listing my positive opinion on the BB10 Bridge:
    Tether through bluetooth, works just like BBOS.
    _____
    Calendar is useless. There is a native calendar on PB, and everyone syncs with cloud-calendars anyway. Memo access might seem like a problem, but Evernote(Remember) is available on PB, so when they fix Evernote integration in BB10, another function fixed.
    _____
    BBM/SMS/Phone: this is the only area in which BBOS wins. IMO SMS/Phone sharing is useless, you should always have your phone handy anyway, more so than your tablet. Lack of BBM is easily explained too, they are working on multi-platform/Channels beta, so it's pretty useless to make a Bridge function for it. I do hope they add this when the final BB Channela version is released.
    _____
    File sharing:
    At first glance works similar to BBOS, so just 'fine'. But browsing the phone file system actually shows BOX, DropBox and remote PC folders as well. They can be browsed fully.
    BIG EDIT: I was sure I tested this, but as a comment below points out, the files can be seen, but NOT opened! Can't believe I missed that, makes my argument For BB10 a lot weaker.

So for me, If they ever make that file-access work, and they put in BBM again, no PB user should be able to complain. A three y/o tech-device, still functioning as a top-model, why complain at all?

Cheers,
    Glenn.

Tl;dr? BB10 Bridge shows BOX, Dropbox and remote PC folders on the PB. However the files can NOT be opened. I hope they add this possibility. It would make BB10 Bridge way better to work with than BBOS Bridge (my opinion).
    Last edited by MrGlenn; 07-04-13 at 06:35 AM.
    06-29-13 10:24 AM
    Well said. Good good good post

BlackBerryKeepMoving

Posted via CB10 on my Rogers LTE MAX Q10 and LTE Z10 in Toronto
    06-29-13 10:57 AM
    Thanks for insights. Made me at least rethink my decision to delay purchasing a Q10 due to lack of Bridge support. I would have to see how well the file-sharing works and whether that can replace my Tasks/Memopad which I use very frequently with the BBOS Bridge. Also, this is less useful if I do not have a connection or am roaming. Does the Evernote app on BB10 allow offline access? The native PB Evernote is god-awful, might have to check out the Sideloaded android port.
    07-02-13 04:42 PM
    Currently Evernote does not have an app. It's just part of the Remember app (folders sync). As of now it does not work very well. For example, a lot of the layout is lost when sync'ing and you can't move memos between Remember-folders and Evernote-folders. I have not looked into 10.2 improvements much, but I hear there will be a native Evernote app for it...
    I'm not a very heavy memo-user, so it does not bother me that much.
    07-02-13 10:55 PM
    I didn't know you could access box through bridge! I found it though. Thanks! That does make it more useful. Typing this on my PlayBook by the way!

Although I still wish you could bbm and SMS through Bridge.
    07-03-13 03:27 AM
    I loved being able to answer texts and BBM from my PlayBook. Some times your phone is charging at your desk maybe in your room while you're browsing on your playbook in another room, or you're browsing on you're playbook and the phone is in your pocket, it is very convenient to be able to answer using your playbook.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and B Pretto like this.
    07-03-13 05:57 AM
    Currently Evernote does not have an app. It's just part of the Remember app (folders sync). As of now it does not work very well. For example, a lot of the layout is lost when sync'ing and you can't move memos between Remember-folders and Evernote-folders. I have not looked into 10.2 improvements much, but I hear there will be a native Evernote app for it...
    I'm not a very heavy memo-user, so it does not bother me that much.
    They now have a side loaded partial version of a Native Evernote app. Looks pretty cool too.
    BB Bridge Revisited (BB10>BBOS)-img_00000182.png

BB Bridge Revisited (BB10>BBOS)-img_00000183.png

As for the SMS part of bridge, I never used it, it was always so buggy it was impossible to take full advantage of.

BlackBerry Z10 | Verizon | 10.2.0.93
    07-03-13 07:52 AM
    Does the BB10 Bridge also alert you of phone calls you receive like it does on BBOS?
    07-03-13 06:47 PM
    Does the BB10 Bridge also alert you of phone calls you receive like it does on BBOS?
    Unfortunately, it does not.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 09:06 PM
    I didn't know you could access box through bridge! I found it though. Thanks! That does make it more useful. Typing this on my PlayBook by the way!

Although I still wish you could bbm and SMS through Bridge.
    I am unable to open any of the files from the external file systems (box, dropbox,pc) through the bridge. I can see the file but it just won't open.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 02:10 AM
    I am unable to open any of the files from the external file systems (box, dropbox,pc) through the bridge. I can see the file but it just won't open.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I've been playing with it tonight, and I can't get any of my box files to open though bridge either. I even re-installed bridge on my Z10 and it made no difference. Is anyone able to do this?
    07-04-13 02:18 AM
    I'm sorry guys, I was so sure I tested this before I posted. I must have opened files in a different folder by mistake.
    Edited the OP to reflect this: you can browse all those folders fully, see all PB compatible files (in theory), but you can NOT open them.
    I sure hope this is something they might add, or what's the point of connecting to those folders at all...
    07-04-13 06:41 AM
    I'm tired of all these topics full of complaints. Like PBOS isn't a full system you've gladly been using for years!
    The only legitimate complaint I thought was the downgrade of Bridge from OS7. But when I actually looked at it more closely, BB10 does a few things that people seem to miss. Things that actually make it more useful. And the useful functions that are missing are easily explained (and fixable with other apps).

So here I go, listing my positive opinion on the BB10 Bridge:
    Tether through bluetooth, works just like BBOS.
    _____
    Calendar is useless. There is a native calendar on PB, and everyone syncs with cloud-calendars anyway. Memo access might seem like a problem, but Evernote(Remember) is available on PB, so when they fix Evernote integration in BB10, another function fixed.
    _____
    BBM/SMS/Phone: this is the only area in which BBOS wins. IMO SMS/Phone sharing is useless, you should always have your phone handy anyway, more so than your tablet. Lack of BBM is easily explained too, they are working on multi-platform/Channels beta, so it's pretty useless to make a Bridge function for it. I do hope they add this when the final BB Channela version is released.
    _____
    File sharing:
    At first glance works similar to BBOS, so just 'fine'. But browsing the phone file system actually shows BOX, DropBox and remote PC folders as well. They can be browsed fully.
    BIG EDIT: I was sure I tested this, but as a comment below points out, the files can be seen, but NOT opened! Can't believe I missed that, makes my argument For BB10 a lot weaker.

So for me, If they ever make that file-access work, and they put in BBM again, no PB user should be able to complain. A three y/o tech-device, still functioning as a top-model, why complain at all?

Cheers,
    Glenn.

Tl;dr? BB10 Bridge shows BOX, Dropbox and remote PC folders on the PB. However the files can NOT be opened. I hope they add this possibility. It would make BB10 Bridge way better to work with than BBOS Bridge (my opinion).
    Contact sharing is very important imho. they should reinclude it. I do not share things with clouds, I need contact sharing via bridge.
    07-04-13 06:49 AM
    I'm sure it would be nice to have 'all' of those old functions back! But it's not really a BB10 shortcoming. All mayor companies rely on cloud- or desktop-sync services nowadays, especially for calendars and contact lists. BlackBerry is the only one supporting some form of out-of-the-box connection between phone/tablet as far as I know (file access/remote)...
    So instead of a shortcoming, you should probably start looking at Bridge as a nice (little) bonus.
    07-04-13 07:06 AM
    The work has to be done on BB10 device (the handheld) and only updating the PB Bridge "client" would be required to allow the PB even running OS 2.1 to have the full functionality it had with BBOS7 devices.

That said, it would be great if I could register my PlayBook with BlackBerry Link and have the same access to my personal cloud like I have on my BB10 device. I think these additional features are the ones that BlackBerry MUST implement: they're feasible, don't require full BB10 deployment, and are the least that BB can do. Since most of the PlayBook owners are the die-hard BB fans / advocates, I think they should do this as a thank you to that community, and let those who are just PlayBook bargain bin divers also get the update.
    07-04-13 09:00 AM
    The work has to be done on BB10 device (the handheld) and only updating the PB Bridge "client" would be required to allow the PB even running OS 2.1 to have the full functionality it had with BBOS7 devices.

That said, it would be great if I could register my PlayBook with BlackBerry Link and have the same access to my personal cloud like I have on my BB10 device. I think these additional features are the ones that BlackBerry MUST implement: they're feasible, don't require full BB10 deployment, and are the least that BB can do. Since most of the PlayBook owners are the die-hard BB fans / advocates, I think they should do this as a thank you to that community, and let those who are just PlayBook bargain bin divers also get the update.
    With Bridge being able to access Box through a BB10 device, I also saw a BBLink folder with my computer name. If Bridge could open these files, you could access your computer that way. I understand a direct connection would be more desirable, but I think this way would be much easier to implement.
    07-04-13 10:45 PM
    Can someone tell me why I can't download the latest blackberry bridge for playbook. I get a message saying this item is not supported by your current device profile?

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 03:16 PM
    Can someone tell me why I can't download the latest blackberry bridge for playbook. I get a message saying this item is not supported by your current device profile?

Posted via CB10
    There are a few replies to your other message.

Bridge is installed as part of the playbook. You only have to download Bridge for your bb phone. Then pair the devices.
    07-05-13 03:55 PM
    I'm glad this topic attracted very reasonable responses so far. I put a bit of the suggestions/wishes I made here into the CrackBerry survey that is now running. Hope it will catch someone's eye.
    rthonpm likes this.
    07-05-13 06:22 PM