Version: 1.0.8.6067
    I purchased this recently... I can't access the OS yet.
    It keeps wanting to force update to: 2.0.1 Build 1032.
    I want to root and tried various methods on here but it seems 1 crucial step is always unworkable...
    Is there anyway I can upgrade this to 2.0.0.4869 or something to root?
    (When I turn on BBPB, it wants to force update through wifi)

-on the verge of giving up and just updating to the new firmware .
    or... buy a new PB and root it without turning it on (fresh)
    ceabbott2 likes this.
    10-24-12 04:52 PM
    Yes, you can root this one.
    Instructions have been posted up a lot.
    Basically you'll need CFP and 4869 firmware on hand.
    Install 4869, do the forced update, use 'cfp resetqnxosregion' as soon as the update completes (don't let it reboot!)
    Triads likes this.
    10-24-12 09:24 PM
    Problem comes when I connect to BBDM, it says I have to finish set up before I can do anything.
    When I plug in the PLAYBOOK, the DESKTOP MANAGER says I have to finish set up or it won't connect.
    Basically the update is FORCED.

(can't back up playbook, can't update, BBDM does nothing...)
    10-24-12 10:16 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry, Triads:

Before you root your Playbook, consider what you want to do with rooting --- because 99% of what you think you can do with rooting the Playbook actually doesn't work.

All you end up with a rooted Playbook is the ability to have themes --- that's basically it.
    Triads likes this.
    10-25-12 11:38 AM
    Update: Finished upgrading and rooted now with android google play!
    (after grueling hours of research)

Welcome to Crackberry, Triads:

Before you root your Playbook, consider what you want to do with rooting --- because 99% of what you think you can do with rooting the Playbook actually doesn't work.

All you end up with a rooted Playbook is the ability to have themes --- that's basically it.
    Thanks for the welcome, idk, I felt like rooting it just to have that option open.

So... What do I do with a rooted playbook now? lol
    Any recommendations?
    10-26-12 02:13 PM
    Update: Finished upgrading and rooted now with android google play!
    (after grueling hours of research)

Thanks for the welcome, idk, I felt like rooting it just to have that option open.

So... What do I do with a rooted playbook now? lol
    Any recommendations?
    Well, I would say that whatever you do, don't give up root now. xsacha recently posted that he shall soon be receiving a new playbook, which will hopefully allow him to develop a custom upgrade procedure for rooted devices. In other words, it may soon be possible for you to have the latest OS, with root.

In the mean time, you might want to look into themes, USB OTG (allows you to use USB host mode on the PB, giving access to stuff like USB flash drives etc.), LocalBar (allows sideloading apps directly on device; without root, this requires a proxy running on the local network, with root it can be done with nothing other than the PB itself), scripts (there aren't that many available, but there is one to get the Android market working on the PB, which you might find handy, although I should note you can't add apps installed directly from the market to the PB home screen, you'll have to have an Android launcher to access them; I recommend Quick App Manager, which is available in the PB App World. This way you won't get an annoying prompt every time you try to run any Android app).

Other than that, there's not a huge amount to do that's already been done. You can poke around in the PB's file system if you're the adventurous type. For example, with root you can replace the icons of apps (probably not that useful for most apps, but maybe you'd like to replace the screenshots that are used as icons for browser bookmarks?). Another thing that could be done is tweaking the Android player a bit: I would assume with root it'd be possible to replace files like framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk, which would allow theming of Android elements, perhaps making them more in keeping with the rest of the PB's UI (this is something I would really appreciate if I had root).

In theory, you can do "anything" once it's rooted, it's just knowing how
    Triads likes this.
    10-26-12 02:49 PM
    As I am still going through what you've said, thanks a lot for the suggestions. Want to link me some of these stuff via here or PM?
    I only have browser and HCL on my playbook lol :P.
    Well, I would say that whatever you do, don't give up root now. xsacha recently posted that he shall soon be receiving a new playbook, which will hopefully allow him to develop a custom upgrade procedure for rooted devices. In other words, it may soon be possible for you to have the latest OS, with root.

In the mean time, you might want to look into themes, USB OTG (allows you to use USB host mode on the PB, giving access to stuff like USB flash drives etc.), LocalBar (allows sideloading apps directly on device; without root, this requires a proxy running on the local network, with root it can be done with nothing other than the PB itself), scripts (there aren't that many available, but there is one to get the Android market working on the PB, which you might find handy, although I should note you can't add apps installed directly from the market to the PB home screen, you'll have to have an Android launcher to access them; I recommend Quick App Manager, which is available in the PB App World. This way you won't get an annoying prompt every time you try to run any Android app).

Other than that, there's not a huge amount to do that's already been done. You can poke around in the PB's file system if you're the adventurous type. For example, with root you can replace the icons of apps (probably not that useful for most apps, but maybe you'd like to replace the screenshots that are used as icons for browser bookmarks?). Another thing that could be done is tweaking the Android player a bit: I would assume with root it'd be possible to replace files like framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk, which would allow theming of Android elements, perhaps making them more in keeping with the rest of the PB's UI (this is something I would really appreciate if I had root).

In theory, you can do "anything" once it's rooted, it's just knowing how
    10-27-12 01:31 AM
    OK then, I'll try and get links for some of the stuff I was talking about.

First, I should mention that the scripts for enabling USB OTG and Android Market are both included with Dingleberry, you can just install them using it. HCL will do for launching apps installed from Android Market, although if you ever get fed up with the prompt everytime you run an Android app which asks you to choose between HCL and QNX Launcher, I recommend uninstalling HCL and installing Quick App Manager from the official App World, which will let you launch apps installed from Market, and doesn't cause the annoying prompt.

Next up, LocalBar: http://forums.crackberry.com/android...-2-0-a-712698/ (this is v2, which also works on non-rooted devices by using a proxy. I think it works on rooted devices without one, but if not you can use v1 instead: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ybook-667235/; read the first post for details on how to make it work, which needs you to run a command via an SSH shell, or edit the startup script)

For themes, this board of the forum seems to have a few around page 6-7, e.g. : http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...histew-708216/, http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...histew-705715/, http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...aybook-699616/

There aren't that many of them due to rooting being stopped a while back and most people losing root.

Replacing icons of apps with root: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ewrite-684340/

Now for my theory on Android theming: The relevant files are in /accounts/1000/appdata/sys.android.gYABgKAOw1czN6neiT72SGO.ns/app/native/system/app and /accounts/1000/appdata/sys.android.gYABgKAOw1czN6neiT72SGO.ns/app/native/system/framework. It seems that the files are all ODEXed, which means you'd need to deodex them first. To do that, download this: xda-developers - View Single Post - [TOOL] V4.0.3-xdaAutoTool RELEASE-Windows | V3.0.2-autoAPKTool | V1.0.3-autoDeoTool, put everything from framework on the PB into "_framework" and everything from app on the PB into "_app". Run the .bat and then using SSH delete all these files from the PB and replace them with the deodexed versions. Hopefully it should still work (you may have to reboot your PB after replacing the files for it to work again). If not, restoring the original, odexed files should hopefully make it work again (again, if it doesn't work at first, try a reboot).

If it works once deodexed, you can theme it. Here's a few resources for that: https://docs.google.com/document/edi...xUO9grFR9C15rA (a guide to manually theming), UOT Kitchen (a theme "kitchen", you choose various options, upload the files and it will theme them and give them back)

Once you have the themed versions of framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk, use SSH to copy them back to the correct locations respectively, then reboot (for good measure) and try an Android app, see if it's UI is changed at all.

Note that I have not heard of anyone trying Android theming on the PB, and I have absolutely no idea if it would work or not. Maybe it'd destroy the Android player completely, who knows?

Oh and another little tweak you may want to try with the Android player: With the Android player directory, in /app/native/default.cfg there are various options about the Android player. The file looks as follows:

#
    # ADDITIONAL_DEFAULT_PROPERTIES
    #
    ro.secure=1
    ro.allow.mock.location=0
    ro.debuggable=0
    persist.service.adb.enable=0
    If you change the last two to "1" instead of "0", you should be able to use ADB with the Android player. Changing the first to a "0" should allow you to use the "adb remount" command to make the "system" partition of the Android player read/writable. Again, this is just theory and may not actually work like that or may break your PB or whatever.

As a disclaimer here, what you do with your PB is your responsibility. Anything bad that happens is not my fault. I have never had a rooted PB, so I have never tried any of this. Having said that, I would say that everything I mentioned above is stuff I probably would try if I did have a rooted PB.
    borceg, Triads, antiRIM and 1 others like this.
    10-27-12 07:18 AM
    Whow... thanks that is helpful !
    Currently trying to get rid of the icon telling me I have to update my OS..

Update: Done, update OS no longer appears!
    New problems: app world can't download anything, error 0007?
    Last edited by Triads; 10-27-12 at 03:09 PM.
    10-27-12 01:53 PM
    Whow... thanks that is helpful !
    Currently trying to get rid of the icon telling me I have to update my OS..

Update: Done, update OS no longer appears!
    New problems: app world can't download anything, error 0007?
    Have you tried xsacha's suggestion in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ations-733574/
    Triads likes this.
    10-27-12 02:56 PM
    Done .

Now... I have 2 other problems:
    -App world loads and stuff but doesn't download it gives error [0007].
    -IP Address: <no interfaces available>" when i turn on the Development Mode.
    Have you tried xsacha's suggestion in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ations-733574/
    10-27-12 03:10 PM
    I've seen that error on App World myself recently, but I can't remember how I fixed it (at least, I think I fixed it...). I think the solution might have been connecting to a different WiFi network (in my case my phone as a WiFi hotspot), downloading something, then going back to my normal network and it worked again. EDIT: On second thoughts, it may not be completely working...I'm currently getting "Error [0003-0005]". I think there was one time it was Error [0007]. EDIT: Did the "connect to second network" trick again and it's now downloading fine on my primary network once again.

The other one I'm afraid I'm not sure. Do you have WiFi turned on (and connected)? If not, do you have a USB cable connected? I believe you need at least one of these to turn on Development Mode.
    Triads likes this.
    10-27-12 03:16 PM
    I am using an HTC usb since my PB was second-hand and did not include one.
    -I believe it is kind of wonky so that might be it...

App world isn't that big of a concern I suppose, I am always getting error 0007. (I can find the bar files and sideload them I hope)

NOTE: Is this a major concern: I dingleberried the PB with CoreOS I believe opposed to FullOS?
    I've seen that error on App World myself recently, but I can't remember how I fixed it (at least, I think I fixed it...). I think the solution might have been connecting to a different WiFi network (in my case my phone as a WiFi hotspot), downloading something, then going back to my normal network and it worked again. EDIT: On second thoughts, it may not be completely working...I'm currently getting "Error [0003-0005]". I think there was one time it was Error [0007].

The other one I'm afraid I'm not sure. Do you have WiFi turned on (and connected)? If not, do you have a USB cable connected? I believe you need at least one of these to turn on Development Mode.
    10-27-12 03:22 PM
    CoreOS and FullOS refer to installing the OS update, basically with CoreOS, you ONLY install the main OS update, whereas with a "FullOS" update, you install all the additional BARs as well. It means that all the built in apps haven't been updated.

I believe you should be able to install the rest of the update by deleting the core.signed file from the update folder in dingleberry (that's not the full file name, that's just the end), and then doing a "FullOS" update in Dingleberry, however I am not completely sure on this, so you should probably wait for someone else to confirm/deny this before trying it. I don't want to be responsible for you losing root.

As for the USB cable; I assume seeing as you tried App World, you have WiFi - have you tried enabling Dev Mode while connected to WiFi and not USB?
    Triads likes this.
    10-27-12 03:37 PM
    All I had was browser when my PB loaded. I sideloaded the other bars with DDPB.
    I don't know if I want to do a full cfp reinstall with 4869.signed again to fix app world problems?
    CoreOS and FullOS refer to installing the OS update, basically with CoreOS, you ONLY install the main OS update, whereas with a "FullOS" update, you install all the additional BARs as well. It means that all the built in apps haven't been updated.

I believe you should be able to install the rest of the update by deleting the core.signed file from the update folder in dingleberry (that's not the full file name, that's just the end), and then doing a "FullOS" update in Dingleberry, however I am not completely sure on this, so you should probably wait for someone else to confirm/deny this before trying it. I don't want to be responsible for you losing root.
    10-27-12 03:42 PM
    If you sideloaded all the other BARs, I think that's the same as a FullOS install, meaning a FullOS install probably wouldn't make a difference. If you did do a FullOS install, you'd need to do the "cfp qnxresetregion" thing again, once again ensuring the timing is exactly right, or else you'd lose root.
    10-27-12 04:36 PM
    Tried to install market.script, when I open it on PB it initializes and then closes back to PB desktop, when I used dingleberry, it said completed and on developement mode.
    Did I do something wrong?
    10-28-12 02:45 PM
    Honestly, I have no idea as I've never done it. It doesn't really sound right, but it may just be something to do with the old version of the Android Market being used. Have you tried launching the market via HCL instead of tapping it's icon on the PB home screen?
    10-28-12 02:51 PM
    Hey I fixed it by sideloading sys.android.bar!
    Now, which bar file is app world named?

Update: found it! sys.appworld.bar

So... Which is better HCL or ICS L?
    -I have both installed currently.
    10-29-12 12:03 AM