Today I sideloaded a lot of .bar files and I'm glad to have them on my Playbook, but I don't understand why they broke the UI paradigm that non android apps follow. Another thing is why does the Android runtime not load at startup? Also, why do several of them refer to the Android Browser and not link to the default browser?

I think that if they are able to better integrate with hardware and adopt a new runtime with a consistant UI and Ice Cream Sandwich apps, then it will start to look up for them. In the mean time they need to clear the backlog of submitted apps and get some popular apps in market, and NETFLIX.
    02-26-12 01:38 AM
    there are certain limitations with Android as such and RIM need to overcome those. For example: Android does the mutlitasking in a different way than how QNX does..also Android support services which allows an application to implement longer-running background operations but something not opened to third party developers in Playbook OS yet. Unless they integrate the Android services fully into the Playbook OS I think it is difficult to expect a separate window for each Android app opened because of the memory constraints.

I think at this point Android Player is just a work in progress..I am anticipating things would drastically change in BB10 like laying a unified approach between the native apps and the android apps....
    Last edited by sf49ers; 02-26-12 at 02:12 AM.
    02-26-12 02:09 AM
    What happened to my swipe from the bottom corner to go back? Now it just brings up the dumb keyboard.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    02-26-12 03:13 PM
    What happened to my swipe from the bottom corner to go back? Now it just brings up the dumb keyboard.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    To go back you have to swipe BOTTOM CENTER to LEFT.
    02-26-12 04:17 PM
    Can't they operate it like a virtual desktop as most linux desktop environments have done for years? I know they can't run separate virtual machines. Virtual desktops for each app should be able to integrate into the QNX multitask UI. As much as people are hounding them for the lack of Android Apps in the Market, they would hound a bit more if they saw the current state of multitasking using the runtime.
    02-26-12 05:37 PM
    Well, RIM just wanted to get it out the door so that they can say they support X number of apps for the tech bloggers and the analysts. The apps work fine, it's just a bit different from the regular Tablet OS UI.

I also think for security reasons, RIM has really sandboxed android into the player. I'm not sure if RIM would ever full integrate the app player onto Tablet OS/BB10.
    02-26-12 05:50 PM
    I'm with you on both fronts and their first goal was to get it working, but they certainly need to be burning the midnight oil to release a 2.1 update that solves the UI issue as well as adding social app integration features...Super Apps if you will.
    02-26-12 06:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD