Android apps downloaded from appworld do not work in os 2!!
    When I click on the icons after downloading, nothing happens!!
    I couldn't find the right solution for this problem, I can't play android apps in my playbook! What's wrong with my tablet?!
    03-06-12 10:53 PM
    this is out of topic.. but i was wondering if your name is Ehsan. coz my name is Ehsan too haha.
    ehsanss2 likes this.
    03-06-12 11:06 PM
    Umm, Try a force reset. Hold down the power button until the screen turns off, with no light emitting. THEN, hold down power button, then boot. See if that works. If not, try loading the android.bar with ddpb. If that doesn't do it, then you might have to do a security wipe. In my opinion, I would do a factory restore, since it'll be cleaner.
    03-06-12 11:10 PM
    Did you upgrade from OS 1.0, or were you previously on the OS 2.0 developer beta? Have you ever rooted?
    03-07-12 10:56 PM
    we need more data from you if you want us to help efficiently
    03-08-12 10:31 AM
    Android apps downloaded from appworld do not work in os 2!!
    When I click on the icons after downloading, nothing happens!!
    I couldn't find the right solution for this problem, I can't play android apps in my playbook! What's wrong with my tablet?!
    Which apps exactly?
    03-08-12 10:40 AM
    same thing happened to me. wouldn't launch. security wipe fixed it. I suggest backup and do a security wipe. your android apps will work just like they are supposed to.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    03-08-12 11:24 AM
    I have similar issues and it's sporadic. Sometimes when one android program works and you try to load another, the android runtime screen will freeze. You have to do a full restart and it will work again. I think it has to do with Android being an unstable OS and not QNX. I hope RIM can improve the Android runtime and give us the ability to force the Android runtime to restart and not require us to restart the entire device.
    ehsanss2 likes this.
    03-08-12 01:00 PM
    I have similar issues and it's sporadic. Sometimes when one android program works and you try to load another, the android runtime screen will freeze.
    Are these apps from App World or sideloaded apps? The Android Player only supports about 40% of Android apps, that's what the App World review process is for. When you sideload you're bypassing and can load an incompatible app.
    03-08-12 01:16 PM
    Are these apps from App World or sideloaded apps? The Android Player only supports about 40% of Android apps, that's what the App World review process is for. When you sideload you're bypassing and can load an incompatible app.
    So are you saying that that 40% is what we see in App World? Or are there Android Apps out there that could be sideloaded on PB succesfully, that don't yet appear in App World? Any links you could provide for info on this would be mucho appreciated.

It seems that RIM couched the os2 upgrade as "Android Apps will Work on Playbook!" when in fact it was more like "Android App Devs will now be able to port their apps to work on Playbook - should they somehow become inclined to bother submitting them for review"

Still seeing a pretty dismal selection in App World.
    ehsanss2 likes this.
    03-08-12 02:48 PM
    So are you saying that that 40% is what we see in App World? Or are there Android Apps out there that could be sideloaded on PB succesfully, that don't yet appear in App World? Any links you could provide for info on this would be mucho appreciated.

It seems that RIM couched the os2 upgrade as "Android Apps will Work on Playbook!" when in fact it was more like "Android App Devs will now be able to port their apps to work on Playbook - should they somehow become inclined to bother submitting them for review"

Still seeing a pretty dismal selection in App World.
    I remember that the numbers quoted by RIM is 60%. But you have to know what this number means. It means that if you go to Android Market and look at the 400,000 apps --- 60% of those apps entirely reside within the Dalvik VM. And this means that all these apps should be able to run on the Playbook if these Android app developers use RIM's repackaging tool. However in most cases, the Android app developers should change their source codes --- at the very least, to change the resolution of their apps so that their UI's don't get obscured by ads.

It means that the other 40% have either (1) these apps use Google specific services which because of licensing restrictions cannot be placed on the Playbook or (2) these apps (i.e. high-end 3D games) that have a lot of native c/c++ codes (which the Playbook's Android runtime does not support).
    03-08-12 04:05 PM
    I'm saying that of all Android apps out there 40% are theoretically compatible. Not all of that 40% has been submitted to App World, probably less than 5% is in App World.

The point was that when a developer submits their app to App World they are first checking to make sure it works on the PlayBook, and possibly customizing it. RIM then further checks that the app works before approving it for App World.

When you sideload you don't know if the app is in the 40% that works, or the 60% that doesn't work. Apps like Netflix are definitely in the 60%, they don't even start.

When you're sideloading don't expect everything to work. You're taking your chances and seeing what happens. That doesn't mean it wont work, but you don't know. App World means it's been reviewed as is known to be compatible.
    03-08-12 04:24 PM
    Also, it the Android Player stalls or "locks up" just swipe it away and them try it again in 10-20 minutes if you can wait that long. It appears to regain its composure and will actually restart the next time you try loading an app. I've now done this a few times and the Android Player restarts showing a Blackberry logo, then another bb logo.

I _THINK_ you can hasten the process by overloading regular apps - open a bunch of them and their memory demands may cause the Android Player to restart, too.

Taylorbb, do you know anything about either of the above two concepts?
    03-08-12 04:59 PM
    I had the same issue as the OP, searched the forums, and found that a security wipe was suggested as a solution.
    Did a backup and wipe, Android apps from App World work just fine now.
    03-08-12 06:29 PM
    Restart tablet. this will help. I am pretty happy with Android on PB. it. actully works well.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps
    03-08-12 08:43 PM
    Did you upgrade from OS 1.0, or were you previously on the OS 2.0 developer beta? Have you ever rooted?
    I were in os 1.0, And now I've already upgraded to OS 2.0.
    03-09-12 01:52 AM
    we need more data from you if you want us to help efficiently
    I were in OS 1 then I've already upgraded to OS 2 and now, I'm not able to play android apps which are downloaded from appworld!!
    I search in appworld with "android" keyword, after downloading them and installing, when I click on icons in my homescreen nothing happens!!
    03-09-12 01:57 AM
    All apps have been downloaded from appworld, and the exact problem is why they are not working!!
    03-09-12 02:01 AM
    Hello every ones

First of all please be cool with me because i'm not english i'm from France and i don't use translator to write

So i come here because i have one big same and most powerfull << problem with my 16go playbook:

One day after i do some "reset" with the word "blackberry" (u say "wipe" no?) because i have problem to erase (yeah i try unlocker but not working...) one media file (music album) on my PB i do the update 2.1.0.840 and put my restore file with "BlackBerry Desktop Software"...

After all of this it's the moment when i cry because all my androids apps they working normally before this, NOW they doesn't work so you understand now what is my problem and why i need your help

Thanks for reading me and i hope you can help me...

PS: I prefer say to you today i try to reset again but when i try to open some apps like "AppyGeek", "Free File Manager", "DropBox", "Google Map" etc... Nothing happen again...
    09-14-12 10:23 AM
    Until yesterday my androids apps doesn't work with the beta 2.1.0.840...
    BUT NOW with the official and no BETA update 2.1.0.1032 my problem is resolved and i'm happy again!! All my apps works fine again now!
    10-04-12 05:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD