Hi, I got a problem on my z10 where the my Gmail IMAP acct is not syncing correctly with those z10 default Sent and Drafts folders.

Here is the situation,

I have multiple Gmails setup on the z10. But one of them, stubbornly, sent mail won't show up with a check mark into the regular sent mail folder on the z10.

On the other Gmail accts that worked, sent mails are shown with the check mark, the sent mails are placed in the regular sent mail folder. Also the draft mails are shown with the green icon and placed in the regular drafts folder where the z10 expects them to be.

On the Gmail acct that doesn't work as I hope, when syncing with the gmail server,
    the sent/drafts mail are placed inside a [Gmail]/Sent Mail or [Gmail]/Drafts respectively. They don't go into the regular Sent or Drafts folder under the google acct on the bbz10.

Is there some way to redirect them into those regular folders?

I also have this same quirky gmail acct setup on the playbook but everything works fine over on the playbook. The mails get synced with the regular Sent Items or Drafts folder where it syncs with a check mark or the green draft icon. I don't see the [Gmail]/Sent Mail or [Gmail]/Drafts on the Playbook.

I think it has something to do within the Gmail settings under "Labels" where it has the "Show in IMAP" options. I've tried activating and deactivating those but can't seem to find a way to get it to sync with the default/regular folders where the z10 expects them to be.

I have the exact same Gmail IMAP settings across all the accounts that work perfectly and the quirky account.

Anyone in a similar situation or solutions.

Thanks
    03-19-13 08:16 PM
    OP post was from over a year ago

No you are not. Windows Live Hotmail does NOT support IMAP.

You are probably using Exchange ActiveSync for that account, and don't realize it. EAS is much more sophisticated than IMAP.

Same story for the service that replaces Windows Live Hotmail, Outlook.com. Supports EAS, does NOT support IMAP.

Microsoft explains in forum post: no IMAP support for Microsoft Live Hotmail

Windows Live Hotmail - section "client access" (wikipedia)

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 08:28 PM
    I dunno, but would it be simpler for you guys to register an Outlook.com address and forward ALL your non-EAS / Push mail to that particular address. In this manner, you'd get the benefits of Push Email using the EAS Protocol. And when you try to send messages, you can send as one of the accounts you just integrated in Outlook. (e.g. message from Gmail forwards to Outlook.com but you can send back email as Gmail rather than as Outlook ).

I did this when Google decided to screw EAS and use IMAP... IMAP isn't known for it's efficiency. Set up isn't hard (MS has a guide how to do it) but the configuration is worth it.
    03-19-13 08:58 PM
    OP post was from over a year ago
    Yes, I shamelessly re-animated this thread after finding it and noticing that someone had some blatantly incorrect information there. Didn't want more people to read that and get mislead.

{re: Exchange ActiveSync on Outlook.com} Set up isn't hard (MS has a guide how to do it) but the configuration is worth it.
    Do you have a link to that guide? Might come in handy for people who need more info on either EAS or Outlook.com or whatever that guide covers.
    03-19-13 10:21 PM
    On the other Gmail accts that worked, sent mails are shown with the check mark, the sent mails are placed in the regular sent mail folder. Also the draft mails are shown with the green icon and placed in the regular drafts folder where the z10 expects them to be.

On the Gmail acct that doesn't work as I hope, when syncing with the gmail server, the sent/drafts mail are placed inside a [Gmail]/Sent Mail or [Gmail]/Drafts respectively. They don't go into the regular Sent or Drafts folder under the google acct on the bbz10.

Is there some way to redirect them into those regular folders?

[snip]

I think it has something to do within the Gmail settings under "Labels" where it has the "Show in IMAP" options. I've tried activating and deactivating those but can't seem to find a way to get it to sync with the default/regular folders where the z10 expects them to be.

I have the exact same Gmail IMAP settings across all the accounts that work perfectly and the quirky account.

Let me first qualify what I am about to post by saying I own neither a Playbook or a Z10 (hopefully I'll have the latter in a week when it's released here), but I have many years of experience with email systems including system administration.

My GUESS is that this is all a Gmail-side configuration issue. Not a "labels" issue per-se, but there are several pages of Gmail settings that control various aspects of how it manages messages, including which emails go where under what conditions, ie drafts, deleted, sent, etc. You should review the Gmail settings, there are a lot of them.

Specifically, when you refer to the distinction between a folder called "Gmail/Sent mail" vs simply "Sent Mail", the first thing I would assume is that the former is the IMAP folder, and the latter is the LOCAL Z10 folder. You WANT sent messages to appear in the IMAP folder, or else they will only be visible locally on that specific device.

One of the key advantages of IMAP is the fact that you can see a consistent view of your email account/folders no matter which of several devices you may use to connect to it. Storing messages locally on specific devices is like going back to the bad old days of POP3, in a way.
    03-19-13 10:31 PM
    My IMAP folders are available for sync, but you have to tell the playbook which folders you want to sync. From the email app, press the icon that will expand to your accounts (little folder with @), then select the IMAP account you want to change settings for, then click the little folder icon (in the blue highlight), then click the actual folder you'd like to subscribe or un-subscribe and toward the bottom of the screen in the blue highlight there is a folder icon with a couple circular arrows, use that to toggle subscribe on/off.
    03-20-13 10:07 AM
    My folders are not showing up on my PB. How do I get the email client to update to the folders I created today?
    03-23-13 06:54 PM
    My folders are not showing up on my PB. How do I get the email client to update to the folders I created today?
    You have to "subscribe" to the folders or "sync" them. I don't know what terminology the Playbook email client uses.

Go into the advanced settings for that account, there should be a way to display the available folders, and select which ones you want to sync or "subscribe" to on the mobile device.
    03-23-13 11:16 PM
    My IMAP folders are available for sync, but you have to tell the playbook which folders you want to sync. From the email app, press the icon that will expand to your accounts (little folder with @), then select the IMAP account you want to change settings for, then click the little folder icon (in the blue highlight), then click the actual folder you'd like to subscribe or un-subscribe and toward the bottom of the screen in the blue highlight there is a folder icon with a couple circular arrows, use that to toggle subscribe on/off.
    I cannot get this to work with Gmail over IMAP. Maybe post some screenshots to help us? This looks like a Playbook problem. I'm really surprised RIM didn't implement IMAP folders when this thing has been out for two years already

I did what you described, I get a list of folders (Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Trash, Outbox) but I don't see any of my custom folders. There's no blue highlight and way to subscribe/unsubscribe. However those custom folders are visible if I use the Gmail Android client, Thunderbird on my PC, even on the Symbian email app.

With my Outlook Exchange ActiveSync account, I can see custom folders but there's also no way to subscribe/unsubscribe. I guess I'm off to sideload K9 instead...

Go into the advanced settings for that account, there should be a way to display the available folders, and select which ones you want to sync or "subscribe" to on the mobile device.
    Not possible, there are no options in the Playbook email client or the main Accounts settings to choose which folders to subscribe to.
    03-24-13 12:25 AM
    Not possible, there are no options in the Playbook email client or the main Accounts settings to choose which folders to subscribe to.

I guess it's a known PB issue, I thought it would be resolved in PBOS 2.1.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...mation-758633/

Guess you'll have to wait for the Blackberry 10 update then. BB10 definitely supports custom IMAP folders.
    03-24-13 12:50 AM
    Now I have to run two email clients to get full functionality out of my Gmail, Outlook and corporate accounts:

Playbook messaging app
    - screws up IMAP folders
    - handles Exchange Activesync fine

K9 Android app
    - handles IMAP folders fine
    - cannot handle latest ActiveSync at all, have to fall back to POP3 instead

So here's another user waiting forlornly for BB10...
    03-24-13 01:06 AM
    K9 Android app
    - handles IMAP folders fine
    - cannot handle latest ActiveSync at all, have to fall back to POP3 instead

As far as I can tell, K9 doesn't do ActiveSync at all. (No surprise really, it's an open-source app and EAS is a copyrighted Microsoft technology that you have to pay them real money to license)

However, K9 does do Outlook Web Access, presumably some sort of screen-scraping. Similiar to what the older Blackberries did, I think.

Why would you have to "fall back to POP3" if K9 supports IMAP?
    03-24-13 03:25 AM
    My Outlook.com (ex-Hotmail) account only supports POP3 and EAS. K9 supports older EAS versions but not the latest, so that's why I have to fall back to POP3. I presume Microsoft, being Microsoft, preferred a proprietary solution instead of using a competing open standard like IMAP.

At the moment I'm using the Playbook Messages app to sync all current email via IMAP and EAS. Too bad it can't see messages older than 30 days or do IMAP folders properly.

K9 is used for manual sync only and has a complete archive of all my IMAP/POP3 email, just like with Thunderbird on my PC. It's a useful combo that turns my Playbook into a decent laptop replacement.
    03-24-13 04:08 AM
    My Outlook.com (ex-Hotmail) account only supports POP3 and EAS.

Yes, I know. There were some rumors that they were going to add IMAP support but it hasn't materialized yet.

K9 supports older EAS versions but not the latest, so that's why I have to fall back to POP3.
    No, K9 doesn't support EAS at all. What it uses is WebDAV to connect to MS Exchange servers via the web interface (Used to be called Outlook Web Access, currently called Exchange Web Connect), but Microsoft completely abandoned that protocol on Exchange as of Exchange 2010.

I presume Microsoft, being Microsoft, preferred a proprietary solution instead of using a competing open standard like IMAP.
    They do indeed often prefer proprietary things but in this case I doubt that is the main reason they use that on their cloud services. EAS is a vastly more sophisticated protocol than IMAP, includes lots of other functionality like calendar/contact/tasks/notes sync (IMAP has to be combined with other things to do contacts/calendar sync), fine-grained mobile device-management and so on, and is much more efficient for mobile devices too. Which is why companies like Blackberry license it so they can use it in their own products. Microsoft doesn't give it away for free.
    03-24-13 04:34 AM
    EAS profiles are good for fine-grained device management, I will admit that. That's one strength that Blackberry and BB10 have to compete against. On the other hand, for most consumers, IMAP, CalDav and WebDav are good enough for the syncing you're talking about. iOS and Android support these open protocols and these should be given priority instead of proprietary ones.

I think it's irritating yet hilarious that I can import all my address book contacts into the Playbook's Android player just by importing a big VCF file. Those contacts are then visible to any Android app. I cannot do that with the native Contacts and Messages apps unless I export everything to an Exchange server.

The whole Android/native schism in the Playbook and the Z10 is pretty confusing.
    03-24-13 06:03 AM
    EAS profiles are good for fine-grained device management, I will admit that. That's one strength that Blackberry and BB10 have to compete against. On the other hand, for most consumers, IMAP, CalDav and WebDav are good enough for the syncing you're talking about. iOS and Android support these open protocols and these should be given priority instead of proprietary ones.

I think it's irritating yet hilarious that I can import all my address book contacts into the Playbook's Android player just by importing a big VCF file. Those contacts are then visible to any Android app. I cannot do that with the native Contacts and Messages apps unless I export everything to an Exchange server.

The whole Android/native schism in the Playbook and the Z10 is pretty confusing.
    I was able to import my contacts to the native PB client no problem yesterday. Just had to do it separate from setting up IMAP email.
    03-24-13 08:51 AM
    How do you import contacts to the native PB Contacts and Messages app without having to put them on an Exchange or WebDav server? I'm trying to do it completely offline but I can't figure out how.

---
    Edit: there's no way to do it offline

I ended up doing this:
    1. Export Address Book contacts from my Mac to VCF format
    2. Compile a program to convert VCF to CSV
    3. Find out proper Outlook 2010 CSV headers, tweak my CSV file to match that
    4. Imported my contacts CSV file into Outlook.com's People module, unfortunately contacts with Simplified and Traditional characters are mangled because stupid Outlook.com doesn't understand Unicode
    5. Export my CSV file again, this time using GB18030 encoding
    6. Change my Outlook.com language settings to Simplified Chinese
    7. Import my contacts file again, this time all contacts are displayed properly
    8. Set the Outlook.com account settings on the Playbook to sync contacts
    9. Open Contacts app, finally! Contacts slowly sync thru Outlook.com EAS
    10. Of course, if you turn off contacts sync, all those contacts disappear...

Unbelievable. Why the heck couldn't RIM write a simple CSV or VCF import module for the Contacts app in the 2 years since the Playbook came out!?
    Last edited by blueberrymerry; 03-24-13 at 11:45 AM.
    03-24-13 09:59 AM
    How do you import contacts to the native PB Contacts and Messages app without having to put them on an Exchange or WebDav server? I'm trying to do it completely offline but I can't figure out how.

---
    Edit: there's no way to do it offline
    Yeah it has to be online. I was monkeying around with ISP email yesterday and noticed my contacts from my phone were online. Not sure how they got there but they were there. I had to create caldev account on the pb and once i did that it automatically downloaded
    03-24-13 01:48 PM
    Yeah it has to be online. I was monkeying around with ISP email yesterday and noticed my contacts from my phone were online. Not sure how they got there but they were there. I had to create caldev account on the pb and once i did that it automatically downloaded
    Doesn't Desktop Manager work with the Playbook?
    03-24-13 07:05 PM
    Nope, Desktop Manager only makes backups and syncs media files, it doesn't do anything for contacts. RIM makes good hardware but the software leaves a lot to be desired...
    03-24-13 07:14 PM
    Nope, Desktop Manager only makes backups and syncs media files, it doesn't do anything for contacts. RIM makes good hardware but the software leaves a lot to be desired...

I only mentioned that because DM does exactly what you are asking for on the other Blackberry devices. (With the exception of the BB10 devices, different software for those)
    03-24-13 11:05 PM

Correction: you CAN use Blackberry Link with the Playbook.

AND - they just added the ability to export contacts from Outlook to BB10 devices.

Ahh, pity. Looks like it just works with BB10:

Import your contacts and calendar appointments from Microsoft Outlook

You can transfer the contacts and calendar appointments from Microsoft Outlook to your device running BlackBerry 10 OS or later. This import is a one-way transfer of data from your computer to your BlackBerry device. This transfer isn’t required if your Microsoft Outlook contacts and calendar appointments are synced with a web-based email account that you have added on your device.
    03-24-13 11:08 PM
    See http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post8158508

This is the correct procedure to access and sync your IMAP folders! BUT there is no option to tell the PB that the folder "Gesendet" from the server should be used as SENT folder on my PB. I end up having to "SENT" folders - one local and one IMAP one...with my sent mails residing on the Playbook :-(

That is my dissapointment about IMAP on the PB!
    03-25-13 03:50 AM
    BUT there is no option to tell the PB that the folder "Gesendet" from the server should be used as SENT folder on my PB. I end up having to "SENT" folders - one local and one IMAP one...with my sent mails residing on the Playbook :-(

That is my dissapointment about IMAP on the PB!

KB30249-Emails sent from an integrated IMAP account on the BlackBerry PlayBook do not appear in the sent folder on the Web mail server
    03-25-13 04:05 AM
    From the KB above:
    Cause
    Folder synchronization is not supported between mail accounts on the BlackBerry PlayBook and the mail server.

Resolution
    If you send an email from the BlackBerry PlayBook, that sent message will appear in the Sent Items folder on PlayBook but is not expected to appear in Sent Items folder on the mail server. This is by design.
    Underlined my emphasis... can any BB10 users confirm if this bit of insanity has been fixed? I don't understand how IMAP on the Playbook can be so broken when EAS is handled properly.
    03-25-13 06:10 AM
92 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD