As a person who has had to unlock bootloaders for various Android devices, I know that its a difficult task, and that in most cases its locked simply because they dont want you removing their bundled software before your contract is up. Which is why we typically get some unlock method after the device is old and not supported.

But in the case of the Playbook, what is the advantage of locking the bootloader? What is the advantage of leaving it locked far after support has stopped? It doesnt help sales even in the slightest. One might be more inclined to buy the device on the cheap and use it as a Windows tablet or something along those lines simply due to the hardware within it.

So I ask. What are the advantages RIM gets when they lock and keep locked this devices bootloader?
    08-17-13 11:26 PM
    They get to keep their Top Notch Security Awards with them when they go back home.
    08-17-13 11:30 PM
    And that means what now? More apps/app devs? I would say not.
    08-17-13 11:31 PM
    And that means what now? More apps/app devs? I would say not.
    Well, if they unlock the boot-loader it will allow hackers get into other other parts of the device and leak out valuable information. This will hurt their sales and their reputation tremendously.

...but what do i know? I'm just a consumer. Ask the CEO himself.
    08-17-13 11:38 PM
    As it stands now, the PlayBook is about the only FIPS compliant tablet. Locking the bootloader removes a possible attack vector. With that locked you can be certain that you're not getting a potentially sabotaged or altered device.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 11:40 AM
    Do people really want some cooked firmware wrecking their PlayBook and exposing it to exploits and vulnerabilities ?

Android is a cesspit of a platform with the firmware modding and pirating of apps from untrusted sources. Would you want the PBOS to end up like that ?
    08-19-13 08:24 AM
    Android is just fine, thank you. It's a full ecosystem that works, unlike the PB.

Do people really want some cooked firmware wrecking their PlayBook and exposing it to exploits and vulnerabilities ?

Android is a cesspit of a platform with the firmware modding and pirating of apps from untrusted sources. Would you want the PBOS to end up like that ?
    08-19-13 08:47 AM
    Android is just fine, thank you. It's a full ecosystem that works, unlike the PB.
    That may be but there are tradeoffs. The PlayBook app environment will never be what it should have been with the hardware of the device for its time, but unlocking the bootloader and such isn't the panacea that people make it out to be for every problem. At its core, BlackBerry is still a business and enterprise first company so security is always going to rate a little higher on their scales.
    08-19-13 09:15 AM
    unlock the bootloader means less tablet OS user, more android user, it may help sell more playbook ,but won't do the company any good.

I think most ppl want their bootloader unlocked want the android apps more than the OS itself. if blackberry can make those android apps running like native (like BB10 with debug token) and installing easily like android, I don't see a reason to use android OS on my playbook. after all, I just want some eggs, I don't need a chicken
    08-19-13 09:25 AM
    That may be but there are tradeoffs. The PlayBook app environment will never be what it should have been with the hardware of the device for its time, but unlocking the bootloader and such isn't the panacea that people make it out to be for every problem. At its core, BlackBerry is still a business and enterprise first company so security is always going to rate a little higher on their scales.
    Even if it means they have to go bankrupt?

Seems like a good plan to me.
    therealjoeblow likes this.
    08-19-13 12:41 PM

Thinks the thief everybody is like him.
    08-19-13 12:42 PM

Jeez, you're thick. yes, all Android users are pirates.Same goes for BB users who sideload apps. Give me a break.
    08-19-13 01:12 PM
    Let me start off by saying: I do not focus on Bootloaders & the such, so I may not be 100% accurate with my train of thought.

But, I'd assume BlackBerry has a different set of standards with regards to their bootloaders. Remember, Android has a lot of parties involved. (Google, OEMs, Carriers & Users) OEMs lock the bootloaders to their devices for 2 reasons: 1, to reduce the risk in breaking the phone & 2, (like someone else said) so you can't remove carrier software & whatnot that they have to put on there. I think it has little to do with apps & developer support. Most of the android development that comes from use of the bootloader is from ROMs (which require rooting & voiding warranties). BlackBerry keeps theirs locked b/c there is nothing I can think of that you would need to do with it. You can flash a new OS without bootloader work & app development is a whole 'nother topic.

I may not be spot on, but that's what I think.
    08-19-13 01:25 PM
    Let me start off by saying: I do not focus on Bootloaders & the such, so I may not be 100% accurate with my train of thought.

But, I'd assume BlackBerry has a different set of standards with regards to their bootloaders. Remember, Android has a lot of parties involved. (Google, OEMs, Carriers & Users) OEMs lock the bootloaders to their devices for 2 reasons: 1, to reduce the risk in breaking the phone & 2, (like someone else said) so you can't remove carrier software & whatnot that they have to put on there. I think it has little to do with apps & developer support. Most of the android development that comes from use of the bootloader is from ROMs (which require rooting & voiding warranties). BlackBerry keeps theirs locked b/c there is nothing I can think of that you would need to do with it. You can flash a new OS without bootloader work & app development is a whole 'nother topic.

I may not be spot on, but that's what I think.
    You cannot flash a new OS without unlocking the bootloader. It is impossible to do with a locked bootloader. There is no real reason to keep it locked other than to force you to buy apps from THEIR store, not the store of an OS of your choosing. Its greedy, and shows they dont care about the end customer, but the end customer's money
    08-19-13 11:27 PM
    Even if it means they have to go bankrupt?

Seems like a good plan to me.
    At this point it's their only real lifeline. The bulk of BlackBerry's sales are in the enterprise market, not consumer. If your reputation has been built on a certain standard, why leave that standard behind? The PlayBook is what it is, and for some government agencies it's the only tablet allowed on their network.

If you want an Android tablet, buy one. There's only about 700,546,677 of them to choose from.
    08-20-13 09:28 AM
    As it stands now, the PlayBook is about the only FIPS compliant tablet.
    Not the only one.
    08-20-13 09:36 AM
    You cannot flash a new OS without unlocking the bootloader. It is impossible to do with a locked bootloader. There is no real reason to keep it locked other than to force you to buy apps from THEIR store, not the store of an OS of your choosing. Its greedy, and shows they dont care about the end customer, but the end customer's money
    My bad, you said the PlayBook. I was just finna say "I loaded leaked OS's on my Z10!" But I guess it's bootloader isn't locked? But what will unlocking the PlayBook's (or any BB device for that matter) do for the product? Besides loading Windows or Android onto it? Which, I'm sure BlackBerry probably doesn't care for you to do.
    08-20-13 05:31 PM