I'm failing to connect on your argument against side-loaded Android apps...assuming the 'original' bar files we spent the last year+ converting won't install, we should be able to RE-convert them, and see them run in the same type of Android instance as we do now, no?
    There is absolutely no valid reason I have seen to suggest that already converted apps will cease to function for any reason. That argument is complete nonsense as far as I can tell from looking at the actual facts, and not speculating.
    01-24-13 11:32 AM
    There is absolutely no valid reason I have seen to suggest that already converted apps will cease to function for any reason. That argument is complete nonsense as far as I can tell from looking at the actual facts, and not speculating.
    Especially since RIM doesn't seem to draw any distinction between converted android apps running on BB10 and the current PB OS. Overview - Runtime for Android apps - BlackBerry Developer
    SifJar likes this.
    01-24-13 12:24 PM
    The same Android bar will run on both PlayBook and phone or neither.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    01-24-13 12:34 PM
    1) I don't care about side loading as I don't believe in pirating or short changing companies for their services.
    2) I am sure RIM is working with the current app developers to have their existing apps work on BB10 so will we truly lose the ability not being able to use them? No one knows until we get there so why speculate on something you don't know anything about?

To be honest I think RIM should come add the 64GB LTE model to their LTE fleet and offer some kind of trade in for those who bought the first Playbook (non-LTE) to an LTE version, they could turn around and repackage the old non-LTE models they collect as new LTE models and resell them not losing anything. South America is one of the few countries left who doesn't consume products then throws them away and buys the next best thing, no, they continue to fix and reuse things until they completely fail were there are no parts available anywhere, the product usually turns to dust by then. LOL Old GSM or (can't remember the other service) cell phones which we toss away are worth about $150 USD to them, RIM could make a small fortune if they decided to do some kind of upgrade program and not repackage the old Playbooks into LTE's the people down there would love them and some may actually re-engineer them to work as LTE models because the people are like that.

Anyhow it's my belief that RIM will likely come out with a whole new Playbook that will be more like Apples or Androids version when it comes to having more screen and less of an edge (border) to it.
    01-24-13 07:53 PM
    No one knows until we get there so why speculate on something you don't know anything about?.........
    Anyhow it's my belief that RIM will likely come out with a whole new Playbook that will be more like Apples or Androids version when it comes to having more screen and less of an edge (border) to it.
    That makes sense?
    01-24-13 09:26 PM
    1) I don't care about side loading as I don't believe in pirating or short changing companies for their services.
    I am strongly opposed to piracy, I have dozens of sideloaded apps. There are numerous free native PB apps shared on sites such as these forums which aren't in App World (e.g. emulators), plus hundreds of free Android apps that work great but haven't been officially converted. Not a single bit of piracy involved, and plenty of sideloading.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-25-13 07:10 AM
    Side loading works on BB10. Many of the apps side loaded onto the PlayBook still work just fine on the Dev Alpha. So, point #3 is just speculation that has already been proven to work just fine.
    01-25-13 03:24 PM
    I cannot think of A.N.Y reason not to switch to BB10. Sorry

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    nappp likes this.
    01-26-13 02:00 PM
    I am strongly opposed to piracy, I have dozens of sideloaded apps. There are numerous free native PB apps shared on sites such as these forums which aren't in App World (e.g. emulators), plus hundreds of free Android apps that work great but haven't been officially converted. Not a single bit of piracy involved, and plenty of sideloading.
    Any piracy on playbook is soly due to poor android security.

01-26-13 02:22 PM
    Just because someone's left the front door unlocked doesn't make it right to go in and nick the telly.
    01-26-13 02:40 PM

That's completely moronic. What has Android got to do with pirating a native Playbook app?
    01-26-13 02:50 PM
    That's completely moronic. What has Android got to do with pirating a native Playbook app?
    I think he/she is talking about downloading PAID ANDROID apps to playbook when you're talking about sideloading PAID BLACKBERRY apps.

There's a difference where one of them is beyond control (android) while the other has been controlled so barely any pirating now.
    01-26-13 04:05 PM
    I think he/she is talking about downloading PAID ANDROID apps to playbook when you're talking about sideloading PAID BLACKBERRY apps.

There's a difference where one of them is beyond control (android) while the other has been controlled so barely any pirating now.
    Yes, but you see they said "piracy on playbook is soly [sic] due to poor android security", there is no qualification or explanation given to substantiate your suggestion. They clearly stated that all piracy on the PB is due to poor Android security, which is nonsense.

EDIT: Oh and if you think pirating App World apps isn't possible any more, you'd be mistaken Perhaps there aren't people actively uploading the BAR files any more, I'm not sure (I don't look because I don't care for piracy), but it is certainly possible to lay hands on them.
    01-26-13 05:36 PM
    Yes, but you see they said "piracy on playbook is soly [sic] due to poor android security", there is no qualification or explanation given to substantiate your suggestion. They clearly stated that all piracy on the PB is due to poor Android security, which is nonsense.

EDIT: Oh and if you think pirating App World apps isn't possible any more, you'd be mistaken Perhaps there aren't people actively uploading the BAR files any more, I'm not sure (I don't look because I don't care for piracy), but it is certainly possible to lay hands on them.
    btw i think it was just a mistake of theirs after all (they probably didn't know you could pirate playbook apps)

and... as I said and I quote myself "so barely any pirating now" I was saying there's a lot less piracy like pbvn.net was taken down (although recently brought back up, they barely post anything and I'd know as my friend always pirates apps just to prove r.i.m sucks) so people can still do it but it's harder now and most people can't.

oh and the two ways are:
    1. downgrading to an os (can't remember which one) that allows you to backup your files
    2. (I don't know how they do this, but mainly xsacha does it and a few others) they get these somehow before they're released
    01-26-13 06:10 PM
    pointless bantering has gotten off topic....

Where has it been confirmed written in pen and ink that it was guaranteed that the PB was getting BB10....................I haven't seen nor heard it as a confirmed "truth"...until I see that, or it is released for the PB...this is speculation...
    01-27-13 05:32 AM
    oh and the two ways are:
    1. downgrading to an os (can't remember which one) that allows you to backup your files
    2. (I don't know how they do this, but mainly xsacha does it and a few others) they get these somehow before they're released
    You can't downgrade from the latest OS, and the holes allowing you to download apps before they're released have, to the best of my knowledge, been patched now. Regardless, it is still possible to access the BAR files of any released app on the latest version of the OS.
    01-27-13 06:39 AM
    not that I know of and yes you cant downgrade but the people that didnt upgrade can still do it
    01-27-13 09:21 AM
    Wow, I bet you're a hoot at parties! We don't even know exactly what features BB10 will bring to the PB, or will take away for that matter, and you have it all worked out already lol. To me, the PB is a device to be treated as a serious bit of kit, not a gimmick (ios) or games machine (android). I'm really looking forward to getting to grips with BB10 and all it has to offer.
    01-27-13 12:55 PM
    not that I know of and yes you cant downgrade but the people that didnt upgrade can still do it
    I never said you knew of it. I'm saying that a way to do it exists (and I know of it, for what it's worth).
    01-27-13 04:31 PM
    Personally, having seen the hardware needs of later versions of OS in other tablets, change the game in terms of what's already in the device? I'm going to wait for loads, here, to go to BB10 if / when it comes to the PlayBook, before taking the plunge.

Truth be told, I'm quite happy with how my PlayBook performs on .1314 - the only compelling things would be: it runs just as well / is just as performant - and all I've heard to address that, has been speculation - albeit reasonable speculation, but speculation, nonetheless; AND Kindle and / or (preferably and) Skype working and native (well dedicated PlayBook apps).
    01-28-13 11:33 AM
45 12