1) Cascades, the main evolution -and most brilliant on small phone screens, is not only useless on PB large screens: it's less efficient. Definitely. For instance, you just can forget multipanes GUIs; similarly, it seems you won't even see the neigboring active apps in this "rear zoom mode" we just always use to switch apps.
    So, Cascades are great for phones, and will be a bother on Playbooks. [edit:] following the video posted by pascal95260, there seems to be more to Cascades on the Playbook that just the series of 'curtains' one usually gets on the phones version, so I may well remove this point

2) Blackberry phone screens are high-defs but remain way smaller than ours. Because of that, expect BB10 apps will sport Larrrrge buttons, with Biggg fonts, just wasting space on a Playbook. For more obviousness on that, just go seeing the BB10 screencaptures of file managers, and compare them to the present ones: nuff said.
    On Playbooks, BB10 will only look cool to the visual impaired ones.

3) Say farewell to all your sideloaded Android apps. Not only updating the OS will delete them all, chances are old sideloads won't work on BB10 (just like the BB10 bars generally don't work on the present system).
    My painfully ported Eye-Fi receiver will certainly die, just crashing my full photo process...

4) Also say goodbye to all initial Playbook apps -the ones that started it all but were then more or less left as is. Any app not updated in 2012, for instance, is an app abandoned by its dev. Indeed these are not so many amont the presently useful -but if one of these happens to be among your niche apps...

5) You'll not reinstall all your 150 apps anyway. Face it -you won't spare the time.
    While the boldest of us may turn this into a welcome spring cleaning, still, switching means just twice less apps on your very own machine, day 1.

Now, before you release the hounds, I tried to symetrically find five good reasons to switch. Honest. That was just a bit harder.

1) USB OTG supported. This feature alone cancels all the 'Congress Humiliation syndrome', where an otherwise selfsufficient notetaker/presentation manager/mailreader just leaves you dead in the water when this key new colleague hands you his slides on a stick.
    This is an. enormous. change, all the more it is very public

2) Your office VPN may better deal with you. While up to now your IT guys just ignored your arcane tablet, even once you-had-yourself-painfully-uploaded-all-the-PC-certificates-on-the-thing, now they'll have a smartphone executive crowd to deal with: you'll pass along with them (if the company didn't switch to Samsung, that is)

3) As more native apps are blooming at this moment, chances are you'll finally find a proper replacement to this efficient-but-atrociously-black-with-microscopic-fonts ported android app.

4) You'll be allowed to redefine default apps for all filetypes (or at least I hope so). Only these never opening a PDF file here won't rejoice.
    Pick 'PDF Reader' app by SporadicSoftware, set as default, done. And just bliss.

5) Cherry on the cake, you may get a real system file picker (is this true?). Something that just allows you to open documents, photos, etc. from within an app
    You know, instead of seeing all hundreds of them at the same time (after a 2-mn scan delay), renouncing, going back to learning that filename by heart, now typing it in the search field, and see it crash...

So, what's your take?
    Last edited by Herve5; 01-22-13 at 02:12 PM.
    husseinerol and Qaxl like this.
    01-22-13 09:17 AM
    I am curious...all of these sound like you are telling people NOT to switch to BB10 based on how it will perform on the Tablet, yet apparently it will work great on a smartphone? So wouldn't that be a great reason to switch to BB10??

Anyways, my next point is this: You seem to have a lot of information on how BB10 will look and perform on the PlayBook...how do you know all of this about BB10 on the tablet? Have you seen it, or just speculating?
    GEGSON likes this.
    01-22-13 09:35 AM
    You seem to have a lot of information on how BB10 will look and perform on the PlayBook...how do you know all of this about BB10 on the tablet? Have you seen it, or just speculating?
    Well, I must say I indeed tried to react to the 'automatic approval' that we see everywhere

As concerns insight, I have nothing else than the enormous number of BB10 posts, not only in the forums aside this one (you even have one dedicated BB10 subforum on Crackberry*) but even here!

But yes indeed, I can tell you I'll definitely NOT be the first one to switch, if I do it. There are things I truly believe will break in my processes...

(*) my link above for file managers lands in it. You have maybe 500 screenshots and as many hands-on analyses there...
    01-22-13 09:51 AM
    Well, I must say I indeed tried to react to the 'automatic approval' that we see everywhere

As concerns insight, I have nothing else than the enormous number of BB10 posts, not only in the forums aside this one (you even have one dedicated BB10 subforum on Crackberry*) but even here!

But yes indeed, I can tell you I'll definitely NOT be the first one to switch, if I do it. There are things I truly believe will break in my processes...

(*) my link above for file managers lands in it. You have maybe 500 screenshots and as many hands-on analyses there...
    Thats fine that you won't be the first one to switch, but have you had hands on use of BB10 on the PlayBook? Forums are good for help and information, but until BB10 is launched and launched on the PlayBook all you stated is speculation.

"Cascades, the main evolution -and most brilliant on small phone screens, is not only useless on PB large screens: it's less efficient. Definitely. For instance, you just can forget multipanes GUIs; similarly, it seems you won't even see the neigboring active apps in this "rear zoom mode" we just always use to switch apps.
    So, Cascades are great for phones, and will be a bother on Playbooks."

How do you know that it will be great for phones and not the PlayBooks? the PlayBook is 7 inches and phone is 4.2inches, thats not a huge difference so why would it be that much worse on the PlayBook? and how do you know that you wont even seen neighbouring active apps on the PB? Also what is the "rear zoom mode"?

Sorry, I respect your decision to not switch to BB10, but before you state all these reasons not to switch, you will need something to backup your claims.
    01-22-13 10:02 AM
    Response to arguments against:

1) I doubt apps will look bad on the PB. Android manages to make one APK look great on any screen size, I'm pretty darn sure BB10 will too.
    2) This seems to be practically the same point as 1) to me; Cascades is the app GUI framework, so any problems with it is purely an in-app problem
    3) I see no reason for this statement. I have seen nothing to back this up.
    4) Again, I have seen nothing to suggest that old apps will stop working. Sure, they won't be installable on new BB10 phones, but it is my understanding that they will continue to work on the PB
    5) Due to 3) and 4), I don't this is an issue; I don't believe any apps will be lost by updating

So that's your arguments against debunked, now on to responses to your arguments for:

1) valid comments
    2) I don't deal with VPNs, I have no idea if there are issues using one with the PB as it is now; as far as I know, there are VPN options in the PB settings, but I have no experience trying to use them
    3) There should be no need to replace any functional app unless there is a superior one released; I certainly have no issues with colours or font sizes in any Android app, sideloaded or installed from App World.
    4) Once again, I have seen nothing to back this up. Is there actually any evidence/statement to suggest this to be the case, or are you just spouting random hopeful guesses? If it's true, that's great, but it'd be almost useless without a decent native file manager which brings me to...
    5) There have been screenshots of such a file manager (which I was made aware of by a link in your post), so I'd guess it's probably true...and yes, this shall be a fine addition.

So to summarize my post, there is no reason not to upgrade, and plenty of reasons to upgrade.

EDIT: And I agree with mphillips828 when he/she says you need something to backup your claims when you cite all these "reasons".
    01-22-13 10:05 AM
    I don't even think we've even seen Cascades for Playbook yet, everything is done in Air on the Playbook. I think the BB10 is being built as a multi-device, vertical platform, I believe the framework with they've built has to take this extensibility into account (phones, tablets, car infotainment, appliance/pc?).

I think the BB10 today could not have happened without PB OS providing a test bed, stop gap solution. The energy RIM and consumers have invested into the 2 million Playbooks is a small drop if the 10+ million BB10 devices can sway developers into accepting it as relevant ecosystem.
    01-22-13 10:09 AM
    The only reason I'll be waiting to upgrade is too see what the comments are on how it runs. Not for any of the OP's reasons.
    SifJar, spike12 and bungaboy like this.
    01-22-13 10:19 AM
    As a little addition to my previous post, I'd just like to say I intend to upgrade to BB10 as soon as I possibly can. If there's a dev beta or anything like that, I will certainly install it. Otherwise, the day I hear it has been released, I will be updating.
    01-22-13 10:38 AM
    5) There have been screenshots of such a file manager (...)
    My mistake: by 'filepicker' I meant an 'open file...' dialog from within an app. I tried to correct the wording -and I stand by my word: no serious workflow can be based on a Playbook as long as the 'open file' dialog flattens all the disk.
    lauticol likes this.
    01-22-13 11:02 AM
    "My painfully ported Eye-Fi receiver will certainly die, just crashing my full photo process..."

Hey Herve5, do you have a second Playbook? I'm going to keep my second 64gb unit (set up for photography and ALL my CD's and movies are on it plugged into my A/V home system) at the current level
    so my EYE-FI WILL STILL WORK. The "work" Playbook will get to upgrde and see how things go.

But this way, I still use my Eye-Fi (and hopefully you) with My Oly E3

C
    01-22-13 11:45 AM
    My mistake: by 'filepicker' I meant an 'open file...' dialog from within an app. I tried to correct the wording -and I stand by my word: no serious workflow can be based on a Playbook as long as the 'open file' dialog flattens all the disk.
    1) Its a big concern to see how Cascades will work on the Playbook, im so madly in love with the efficient switching and peeking to the right or left app by swiping.
    3)As for Android bar apps, it would be a dealbreaker: Cannot let my GameboyColor, Mass transit schedule apps, Google Latitude, etc
    I would add 6) Bridge feature. Any modification to that would surely prevent me from switching.

B3) It's so painful to search picture to open with a program!

The solution would be to get another one of those great device...they are cheap now...Is there a risk price go up with BB10??
    01-22-13 12:26 PM
    I think RIM will customize BB10 OS to suit with PlayBook We don't need concern about this.
    And about OTG support , if BB10 grow up dramatically , it's will have a lot of companies make accessories for it .
    Herve5 likes this.
    01-22-13 12:49 PM
    Video de pr�sentation OS10 et Cascade sur t�l�phone et Playbook
    Video presentation on Cascade and OS10 phone and Playbook
    Voir ICI
    Herve5 likes this.
    01-22-13 12:56 PM
    1) USB OTG supported.
    I don't care about any of the other stuff you mentioned, but has this been confirmed? That's gonna be awesome! But this is the first I hear of it.. Should I have my dongle on order?
    01-22-13 01:39 PM
    Hey Herve5, do you have a second Playbook? I'm going to keep my second 64gb unit (set up for photography and ALL my CD's and movies are on it plugged into my A/V home system) at the current level
    so my EYE-FI WILL STILL WORK. The "work" Playbook will get to upgrde and see how things go. (...)
    Alas no, I have a single Playbook. But whenever you upgrade your second one, you'll be able to try loading the Eye-fi app on BB10, so you may well become our guinea pig there! And believe me, I'm extremely interested then!

I don't care about any of the other stuff you mentioned, but has this been confirmed? That's gonna be awesome! But this is the first I hear of it.. Should I have my dongle on order?
    Well, I can say (a) it worked with rooted Playbooks at the time rooting was possible (so the actual unix commands are there) and (b) there have been really many posts here, among which one by someone actually having tested it (search for "OTG" in this forum, you get this for instance) so on that one I am definitely confident...
    01-22-13 01:58 PM
    As the French & French Canadians would say, here's (http://fineoils.blogspot) you can see nothing less than "massacre des innocents". Playbook with BB 10 will be something to behold.
    01-22-13 03:28 PM
    I'm pretty sure if RIM was to release BB10 for the Playbook it would be optimized for it. Based on this assumption I doubt you have wasted screen real estate due to large buttons. Their not just going to put the phone software on the tablet (I hope).
    01-22-13 03:58 PM
    3)As for Android bar apps, it would be a dealbreaker: Cannot let my GameboyColor, Mass transit schedule apps, Google Latitude, etc
    The only decent GBC emulator for the PB is a native app, not an Android app. None of the Android ones I've tried have even worked. Do not confuse a sideloaded native app with a sideloaded Android app.

(And as I mentioned before, I have seen absolutely no evidence that any sideloaded apps, Android or native, will be lost in the upgrade)
    01-22-13 04:49 PM
    Expect all new apps will be like this one:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...aybook-763987/
    This has advantages: for instance, Playbook will be the only tablet you can safely manipulate with your toes
    Humor aside, the coming of BB10 will indeed bring lots of new apps to Playbooks, which we wouldn't have got otherwise, and moreover these will be native ones -all in all a very positive point. But... I'll be a bit worried when showing them, this not to speak of the screen surface waste in the GUI...
    H.
    cntunglam likes this.
    01-24-13 03:30 AM
    Like Apple iPad or even Android tablet , we always have different softwares GUI between phones and tablets . In the iPad , sometimes we still see a bad GUI if using iPhone app . It's not only a matter of PB . Software development will make it suitable with your PB when companies think that this is a nessessary movement.
    01-24-13 04:20 AM
    Herve5 has valid points there...

Now, it makes me think to wait for a couple of days or week once the BB10 is released to PB... and read from those early adopters...
    01-24-13 04:20 AM
    I don't even think we've even seen Cascades for Playbook yet, everything is done in Air on the Playbook. I think the BB10 is being built as a multi-device, vertical platform, I believe the framework with they've built has to take this extensibility into account (phones, tablets, car infotainment, appliance/pc?).

I think the BB10 today could not have happened without PB OS providing a test bed, stop gap solution. The energy RIM and consumers have invested into the 2 million Playbooks is a small drop if the 10+ million BB10 devices can sway developers into accepting it as relevant ecosystem.
    We have seen Cascades on the playbook .. It's called Scrapbook and it runs silky smooth, sweet 3D renderings with shadowing, and high resolution. It'll be absolutely no issue on PlayBook.
    01-24-13 05:58 AM
    Hello Herve5 !

I'm only concerned about the topic. Now that I've read i understand you're talking about the PB, but people at a first glance will think you're talking about the phone and i think it's a little negative.

In another opinion i truly understand how hard it is when you have your device set to work perfectly for you, it's like formatting your computer where you have to re-download, re-install, re-configure, i know, its a nightmare.
    01-24-13 06:31 AM
    Hello Herve5 !

I'm only concerned about the topic. Now that I've read i understand you're talking about the PB, but people at a first glance will think you're talking about the phone and i think it's a little negative.
    Considering it is in the "Tablet OS" sub-forum, within the larger "Playbook" sub-forum, I think it should be pretty clear what is being implied.
    01-24-13 08:45 AM
    I'm failing to connect on your argument against side-loaded Android apps...assuming the 'original' bar files we spent the last year+ converting won't install, we should be able to RE-convert them, and see them run in the same type of Android instance as we do now, no?
    01-24-13 09:40 AM
45 12