Hello everyone! I recently purchased an unlocked 4G PB. I was under the impression that for 4G models, you couldn't update the software via wi-fi, as updates are carrier dependent for this model. However, upon initial boot-up of my PB, there was an upgrade to 2.01.1753, I believe it is. My question is -- is this model still carrier dependent for OS updates, or has this changed? Also, if it is carrier dependent, why did I get this update, since I don't have a SIM inserted yet?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 04:07 PM
    BlackBerry PlayBook Updates are BlackBerry Dependant, not carrier specific unless otherwise specified.

Unlike BB10 devices, BlackBerry updates the OS across the board. OS 2.1 is the newest, with a variant at the end depending how new it is.

For more info, check out their PlayBook OS Page - BlackBerry PlayBook Support Updates - PlayBook Software Support - Canada
    03-25-14 05:54 PM
    Thanks for your reply Dylan! I am aware that updates are directly from BlackBerry for Wifi only PB models. I've seen this info from the link you provided before, and I included a screenshot below for reference....could you possibly clarify this? If it were not carrier dependent for the 4g models, why would this disclaimer be there?

4G Playbook OS Update-img_20140325_183059.png

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 06:33 PM
    AFAIK, DYLANHABKIRK is wrong, and cellular playbook updates are carrier dependant. Did you purchase your PB new, or used? Maybe new playbooks get their initial OS installs over wifi from BB. On the other hand, maybe the fact that your PB was unlocked meant that it wasn't tied to any carrier.
    03-25-14 06:56 PM
    Thanks for your reply Pacman! I purchased it new, factory unlocked.

I definitely would like it it were to receive updates directly from BB, like the wifi only versions.

I ordered a Bell micro sim card on ebay, but it hasn't arrived yet....maybe the initial install is not dependent on the carrier, as you mentioned, but if that is the case, I wonder why BB would even inhibit their customers in this way to begin with, seeing how they apparently are capable of providing the updates to cellular versions w/o sim cards inserted.

In all the research I did prior to purchase, I wasn't able to find any info about unlocked PBs specifically not needing the carriers to update. The closest similarity I could find referenced unlocked cell phones, and it discussed how unlocked cell phones still required OS updates directly from the carrier -- I assumed this would apply to the PB as well. If not, it is a pleasant surprise!

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 07:12 PM
    AFAIK, DYLANHABKIRK is wrong, and cellular playbook updates are carrier dependant. Did you purchase your PB new, or used? Maybe new playbooks get their initial OS installs over wifi from BB. On the other hand, maybe the fact that your PB was unlocked meant that it wasn't tied to any carrier.
    I was not wrong, I clearly stated that they are BlackBerry dependent, unless specified otherwise. I never used a sim card in my factory Unlocked 4G PlayBook, and like the OP got updates that are not carrier dependent.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 07:28 PM
    thanks Dylan. do u know what bb means by carrier availability then? If they provide the updates direct, why would this phrase be stated.... It looks like you may be right as I obviously got the update lol. I hope this is the case going forward too
    03-25-14 08:56 PM
    Personally, I would think unless you buy either factory direct, or Unlocked, and unused, you get updates directly from BlackBerry, because they aren't carrier dependent at that point. They offer the updates because they don't rely on carrier restriction, whereas someone who buys from Rogers; for example, would wait for Rogers to supply the updates, because they rely on the carriers variants, where they can apply either efficiencies and restrictions, capabilities based on your location, and carrier.

Hopefully that makes sense to you too. It wouldn't make much sense to me otherwise for users like us to get those updates when we aren't carrier dependent.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 10:43 PM
    I understand if the PB was purchased via carrier, how that could change things. I know you mentiomed you do not use the 4G component, but if we were to, do you think the device updates would then be contingent on the carrier, since it would then be running on their network?

thanks for your input!
    03-25-14 11:39 PM
    I would think potentially to some degree. Once you have the newest software, without a carrier SIM, just minor updates might come for proficiencies. But otherwise, I am unsure if you then become carrier dependent. My guess would be no, but anything is possible.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 12:58 AM
    Thanks for the additional perspective!
    03-26-14 01:14 AM
    Sorry I can't really help but where did you get one new and unlocked? Been looking forever!
    03-26-14 05:00 AM
    Hi Yueytan,

I purchased one from amazon.com. I provided the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005MF...UvbUpU10167078

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 07:52 AM