Why do you care? He's answering the questions we asked.
    What answers? Everything said in these 24 or so pages is NOTHING more than we knew before; that RIM is releasing new QNX phones 2Q11. I'm not saying it wasn't a nice "ride," but the rolling coaster has pull in and we are left at the platform with no new information...just saying.
    11-23-10 11:53 AM
    cory instead of ******** lol just ask a question lol,,a lot of emotions for a message board lol
    11-23-10 12:06 PM
    Niko, I've seen worse, a lot worse, over stupider things than what's being argued about, right now.
    11-23-10 01:28 PM
    What answers? Everything said in these 24 or so pages is NOTHING more than we knew before; that RIM is releasing new QNX phones 2Q11. I'm not saying it wasn't a nice "ride," but the rolling coaster has pull in and we are left at the platform with no new information...just saying.
    Nobody made you read 24 pages on a forum. If you think it added no value then move on. I must be missing something but that's what I do when I lose interest in a thread or find I'm not getting anything out of it.
    11-23-10 01:38 PM
    I am really trying to be patient. As blackberry faithful, we have been behind for the last two years hoping RIM will catch up. I remember when we hoped os6 would level the playing field, and os 5 before that. It just gets tiring. As you can see from the posts here and in other forums on this site storm users are leaving for android. I have never seen such a mass exodus on this site. It's all because RIM has absolutely nothing to offer storm users who prefer a touch screen and don't want to go to AT&T a viable upgrade. Many of them will not come back. Even the torch is already behind and it was just released.

I think the posters on here who have criticized RIM for not leaking any phone info. are right on the $. They can tease a tablet that was months away from being released, but they can't offer any info. to give hope to phone buyers this holiday season. Either they are so far behind that a real storm 3 will not be released until the spring and it is just too far out to tease or they are just out of it/obsessed with their playbook. Many blackberry users that I know and work with are not waiting for the playbook. They are all getting ipads this holiday season anyway. If the iphone releases on verizon in January without a viable new blackberry to upgrade to I think RIM is in real trouble on verizon. They are already becoming a non-factor on that carrier and it is too big of a carrier to ignore. They will be relegated to simple business phones for hard-core business users. Maybe that has served them well in the past, but I have seen my field (law, which has been a traditional all blackberry field) go from almost 100% blackberry to 50% blackberry and 50% something else (android and iphone) in only the past year. Rather than buy a blackberry for an employee firms are encouraging lawyers to get their own phone, choose what they want, and then connect it via exchange to the firms email. The "consumer" is walking into verizon and making the choice, not the business. They are being lured away by shiny new droids and iphones that have cool apps, great cameras and awesome screens. The old saying "my blackberry just works, it does what I need it to" goes right out the window when they see what android and iphones can do. They have told me that considering what they pay for data a blackberry seems like a waste of $ compared to an android device. Some developers are starting to ignore blackberry altogether. That is why an app that is free in android costs $4-$6 in app world.
    Why, as a consumer user, do you expect to walk into a store and purchase a product that is discounted because you commit to a service contract for the product without knowing something about the company? Verizon/ATT/TMobile/Bell/Sprint/Rogers/Vodaphone do not force you to spend your lettuce at their stores. They just expect you to live up to your commitment/contract if you do business with them. Shame on us if we expect to change a successful business model because of a fad. Buying or expecting to buy a different $200 ($500 w/o a contract) phone every 6-9 months is a fad.

Companies cannot churn out 20 different phones every 4 months just to satisfy fads and stay profitable. Moto has had a good year with the D1 and the X. But, they've turned out the very same refresh in the D2 that RIM has in the 9780. FAndroid and Apple have just as many software bugs and glitches as RIM. Android has come out with only a facelift of their "innovative" 2.0 OS over the past year.

Once the shine wears off of Android RIM will be as solid as they ever were and have their share of new toys. Did RIM open a can of worms with the Storm? Yeah probably, but they will release a product that will be sufficient for new technology and it will be solid.

If you don't think RIM is innovative let's see Apple, Google, or Microsoft ditch their native OS's for a superior outside product and not miss a beat with their target consumers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-10 01:44 PM
    Apparently, you haven't seen the strides taken with each Android release. And who said about releasing phones at such a rate?

I've already spoken my piece over the storm 2 debacle. But, yeah, we talk about living up to the contract, but RIM should live up to their word and release reliable updates. It shouldn't take a hybrid community to fix what should already be functioning properly. It doesn't make sense for an update to fix one thing, then break another two. Thanks to the updates from Android, my Droid is kept relevant past the time my Storm 2 should have been.
    11-23-10 02:12 PM
    The thing is, RIM is slowly innovating. That's not good enough, when in computers, the average upgrade cycle is three months. At the latest, it's six.
    11-23-10 02:13 PM
    They not innovating the completely transforming ...give them a little time...

11-23-10 02:18 PM
    I sure will give them time, more competition, the better.
    11-23-10 02:24 PM
    Why, as a consumer user, do you expect to walk into a store and purchase a product that is discounted because you commit to a service contract for the product without knowing something about the company? Verizon/ATT/TMobile/Bell/Sprint/Rogers/Vodaphone do not force you to spend your lettuce at their stores. They just expect you to live up to your commitment/contract if you do business with them. Shame on us if we expect to change a successful business model because of a fad. Buying or expecting to buy a different $200 ($500 w/o a contract) phone every 6-9 months is a fad.
    Maybe I wasn't clear in my post. I don't expect to get a discounted product. I am out of my contract with verizon. I buy used phones and phones at retail so I don;t have to extend my contract. The point I was trying to make is that storm 1 users are nearing the end of their 2 year contract and looking to upgrade. RIM has not given them a viable touch screen phone to upgrade to. The storm 2 is essentially dead in the water. Many stores aren't carrying them. It's not getting os 6 anyway. Many of those people will not wait wait through the holiday season for a storm 3 to arrive sometime in 2011. Many will simply go to another platform. That is my problem. 2 whole years (not 6-9 months) and RIM still does not have a viable upgrade for storm users that want a larger touchscreen. If they stay on verizon there is nothing for them. If they go to AT&T they can get the torch. I have used the torch. Sad to say it is a sorry excuse for a touchscreen phone. Read the torch forum and see how that device has been received and you will see that many people agree. It feels way too sluggish for a current device. Google and Apple don't have to ditch their os because their oses are setting the bar. Palm ditched their os for a vastly superior one (web os is arguably better than android and ios) and it hasn't really worked out for them. I think RIM won't be the next palm, but their inability to put out competitive devices is hurting their market share. I don't think they "opened a can of worms" with the original storm. It was a necessary move. People want larger touch screen devices. RIM needs to compete in that market to stay competitive.
    lssanjose likes this.
    11-23-10 06:12 PM
    I actually agree with Strides completely.

Also, why not buy a new phone every 6-9 months if you have the resources?
    Apple, Google, and many other smartphone providers push new phones every year or so, ... if you have the money, why not buy the upgrade? yet RIM has failed to provide a reasonable upgrade to the S1 (which is more than two years old). I would gladly jump to a Torch to hold me over, but I'm still in a VZW contract and I'm on my parents' plan. But, even OS6 isn't nearly on par with iOS, Androids OS or even the new Windows Phone7 OS, in my opinion.

Technology increases at an incredibly fast rate, and RIM has been at the same level for about 2 years now, with no true technological increase.

I really want this QNX-powered S3, and I'm willing to wait (honestly only because I don't want to give up my 150 BBM contacts and at this point do not want to spend $600 on a phone when I'm going to be switching again in 4-5 months).

But my patience doesn't mean that RIM is doing a good job, or has done a good job. They really dropped the ball and have lost TONS of customers because of it, especially on VZW.
    lssanjose likes this.
    11-23-10 07:07 PM
    RIM fell behind and they have taken a hit in the NA market. That is offset by their success in immerging markets around the world. They have been slow to step up to the competition offered by Apple and Android. Of course those were marketed towards the consumer market which RIM was only just breaking into.

Now that they are behind on the high end media rich smart phone offering they are working to catch up. QNX and torch mobile acquisitions will give them both the intellectual property and engineering capabilities to remain relevant. So they are making a correction and positioning themselves for the future. Of course we are sitting in the lowest part RIM's capabilities and offerings at this moment. So it looks pretty dismal at this point but in a year RIM will have some nice offerings and continue to be a major player.

This doesn't help any of is now, and they will lose some customers to iOS, Android or other platforms who won't make it back. But many who leave will come back. Some may even come from other platforms to BB for a spell.

This of course assumes that the QNX devices are competitive. If they produce just good enough for now hardware and continue the compile it and through it over the wall to carriers software development method they will ultimately become the KIA of the smartphone world. Cheap and reliable, but not your first choice.

11-23-10 07:31 PM
    I have no problem being patient. You don't build an iphone killer overnight. RIM should be taking its time, pouring so much r&d into this that when they do release these phones, they are ahead of their time. That's how you take over the marketplace. Google and Apple should look at the s3 and think, "how the **** did they do that?" If they release these phones with specs and features that are top-of-the-line, it still won't be good enough. I really do hope they read these forums and realize they need to blow everyone out of the water with this. Make everyone else play catch-up to their technologies for a change
    11-23-10 10:53 PM
    I have no problem being patient. You don't build an iphone killer overnight. RIM should be taking its time, pouring so much r&d into this that when they do release these phones, they are ahead of their time. That's how you take over the marketplace. Google and Apple should look at the s3 and think, "how the **** did they do that?" If they release these phones with specs and features that are top-of-the-line, it still won't be good enough. I really do hope they read these forums and realize they need to blow everyone out of the water with this. Make everyone else play catch-up to their technologies for a change
    I completely agree with you and to want both apple and google to be like wtf but I am getting sick of this waiting game. It would be a very big marketing error not to release in the biggest shopping holiday of the yr.
    11-23-10 11:21 PM
    I hear what you're saying, but RIM should have been doing this with the Storm2 series...iPhone had already been out for a couple years; how long does it take RIM to compete??? With that said, I hope the S3 is everything we are hoping for!
    11-24-10 06:56 AM
    come on guys ...this year rim introduced 3 phones ..torch - bold9780 - style which all mid level /entry phones ...and they about to drop a tablet pc that is already given the BEST REVIEWS ...change is coming but its no that easy ...in 6 - 7 months the bold the torch and the style will be mid level smartphones compare to their new offerings ...and i dont care wat anyone says the torch hangs with phones that are 1ghz processor and all that pretty well so as an entry level handset it ll be fine ..+ the torch 2 will be out by then also ...give it time ...we heading for a diff rim !!!
    11-24-10 07:44 AM
    Will the Torch make it to VZW? I'm frustrated with RIM! Why would you give a phone like the Torch to AT&T when in most areas their network is awful?! I'm getting an iPhone when it comes to VZW if RIM doesn't put out anything comparable to it (and not another storm...) - the apps are better and I will learn to love the touchscreen. With this latest debacle of RIM dumping Kik messenger and not offering 1/2 of what apple and android can I really can't be patient anymore. I've been carrying around an 'eh' phone for a year.

11-24-10 08:02 AM
    Will the Torch make it to VZW? I'm frustrated with RIM! Why would you give a phone like the Torch to AT&T when in most areas their network is awful?! I'm getting an iPhone when it comes to VZW if RIM doesn't put out anything comparable to it (and not another storm...) - the apps are better and I will learn to love the touchscreen. With this latest debacle of RIM dumping Kik messenger and not offering 1/2 of what apple and android can I really can't be patient anymore. I've been carrying around an 'eh' phone for a year.

Technically this is Verizon's fault for not switching to HSPA when Canada did. Now their the odd one out, where developers have to decide to either exclude Verizon in their products or only develop for Verizon and Sprint. And RIM is looking to sell their products internationally.
    11-24-10 08:29 AM
    I get that - but there isn't really a better network for phones than VZW. I had AT&T for a month and thank god for their money back guarantee because 1/2 the calls I made, I dropped and texts I sent weren't received.

11-24-10 08:36 AM
    att has done wonders to their network...and verizon will be getting the best blackberry ever..so i dont feel bad about verizon...
    11-24-10 08:58 AM
    att has done wonders to their network...and verizon will be getting the best blackberry ever..so i dont feel bad about verizon...
    Sorry, which is the best BlackBerry ever and when does this come? All the codenames and dates are making me go cross eyed. I honestly LOVE my blackberry but the features and apps on other phones are SO much better that I feel like I'm missing out.

11-24-10 09:24 AM
    the storm 3 is for verizon its coming ..you ll be very happy ...btw you know kik and those messenger apps are so popular because everyone wants to BBM ...you ll get games and apps soon ....when qnx comes ...its coming ..the gloves are off...take a big breath and wait...
    11-24-10 09:33 AM
    I had a storm 2, I don't love the surepress. Ideally I want a blackberry slider like the droid 2- slides the long way not the short way. Kik is great because its just like BBM but everyone can have it...which is what made it fun but for whatever reason it was pulled. I don't buy into the theories about it being competition for BBM and that's why it was pulled, but rim should want to please their customers and pulling an app that people like is silly. How about netflix? On iPhones you can watch instant stream movies/TV..nothing even close for a blackberry..how big of a breath am I taking? I don't picture myself with this phone 6 months from now waiting for something that may or may not come..but thanks for your info! LOL I feel like I'm being talked off a blackberry ledge!

11-24-10 09:56 AM
    lol i dont know wat to tell you man..lol sounds like the iphone is for you
    11-24-10 10:42 AM
    I'm just one of those 'impossible to please' jerks...that's all )

11-24-10 11:09 AM
532 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD