The os on the tablet is very very good ..qnx is a huge step for berry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-10 09:20 PM
    I won't deny that. I would just like to see a little more fluidity by its release. It would be nice to say RIM has the BEST tablet out there. I know it's easier said than done but for once can they be ahead? I really want them to do well and establish a fresh OS to compete with. We'll find out soon I guess!
    11-16-10 10:58 PM
    The specs on the storm 3 are better or at minimal equal to the iPhone 4 so I have no idea wat sal is talking about....just wait rim want to declare war on apple ....they new handsets will be very very impressive

salty the forums was down after all that waiting i did to get off work ha ha.

So equal or better than the iphone 4.............honestly, im just getting ready to just say forget it and i'll take the Storm3 have the same specs as the iphone 4. Sure RIM would still be playing catch-up, and not surpassing the comps' specs.........but the Iphone 4 specs are definitely better than any current BB to date. Either way it would finally be a powerhouse device with comparable specs.
    11-16-10 11:00 PM
    Check out the video these guys have. Great write up to!

mobilityinsider.com
    11-16-10 11:25 PM
    Check out the video these guys have. Great write up to!

mobilityinsider.com
    anybody else see this????????

like really.....................tell me ya'll saw this???

Its so wonderful i have to question if its real ha ha
    11-16-10 11:34 PM
    Wow thanks for posting that. It's definitely new to me!
    11-16-10 11:55 PM
    For those thinking the S3 must suck because Sal is getting a Verizon iPhone, keep in mind this guy has many devices across all OS's and isn't exactly hurting financially.
    11-17-10 02:17 AM
    The mobility insider viseo is short, and the one of the home page from engadget does a good job of showing the app switcher...

Here is the text from Mobility Insider:

That’s right folks, Mobility Insider is the first to get their hands on the much anticipated BlackBerry Playbook! We just got our PlayBook in today and wanted to give you our first impressions right away followed by a more in-depth video walkthrough very soon. Since the Playbook does not come out until January-February 2011 and not even in limited demo circulation until mid-late December, we have included the short video to show you that we do indeed have the PlayBook and making the most of it!

We will save our benchmark testing and side-by-side comparisons to the Apple iPad and Samsung Galaxy until we receive the final OS Version and Hardware from our insider, since the final production unit can be drastically different in overall performance. If that ends up being the case with the PlayBook, we will be very impressed since this pre-production unit has already blown us away.

Initial Impressions:

User Interface and Operating System:

We find the UI very appealing and fluid with no noticeable hang-ups or delays (even running the currently installed Beta QNX OS, which typically has more bugs than final releases). The screen moves quickly and smoothly with a quick transition while multi-tasking between apps (we opened 12 applications and it didn’t miss a beat). We found it very easy to use and navigate.

Look & Feel:

The PlayBook is very light (.9 LBS), yet feels solid and well built. Regardless of Steve Jobs opinion on anything less than a 10in screen, the 7in screen sporting Playbook is very comfortable to use, navigate and type with. In my opinion it even feels better than the iPad in the sense that you can type in horizontal mode comfortably with thumbs, not feeling like you need to set it down or hold it awkwardly to get the job done (no pun intended Steve). Overall, the tablet is a great size and you can easily carry it anywhere; wider coat packet, purse, fanny pack or whatever suits your style.

Connectivity:

The Playbook comes with both WiFi and tethering functionality to your BlackBerry device. Bluetooth pairing of the two devices will require a separate application running on your BlackBerry Device and Playbook. This will basically enable mirroring of your Blackberry data (Email, Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Tasks, etc) on the Playbook without physically storing any data. Your Playbook will also be able to share the data plan you already have on your BlackBerry, which is a huge relief for both Enterprise and Consumers (since mobile charges could easily cover a moderate car payment these days). If you are not a Blackberry user and want a carrier data plan for extended connectivity you will have to wait until late 2011 for embedded options or activate a mobile hotspot device (currently offered by most major wireless carriers) with the upcoming model.

Cameras:

Both front (3MP) and back (5MP) cameras both function and turnout great. Functionality and options are very similar to the BlackBerry OS6. Our major focus was the front facing camera, which over WiFi was near perfect. The font facing camera also works good over 3G (in our test we used a Sprint Mobile Hotspot device). Its a bit more digitized at times, which is expected over the bandwidth, but we are impressed with the quality and option of video conferencing over 3G or WiFi. After all, it will make texting while driving look like child’s play.

Multimedia:

First impressions of the Media Player were awesome; intuitive, fast, responsive and great looking. We are still waiting to see what the desktop (and/or wireless sync) program will look like for the PlayBook, but if its anything like the current PC/MAC program for BlackBerry devices it should be great. The seamless integration with iTunes for music (playlists, album art, ect) and easy drag-and-drop of videos make Apple’s proprietary iTunes look like media prison.

Battery:

The Playbook comes with an impressive battery (5300mAHr). Although the battery is non-removable, it should be plenty of power to get through a full day of using every future this power packed tablet has to offer. We used it very heavily for a full day only starting with slightly over half a charge and it ran the distance. RIM has not released exact specs on what they expect the battery life to be yet. We will test this out more thoroughly in our coming review Part 2.

Summary:

The BlackBerry Playbook is the iPad contender. If you are currently a BlackBerry user, the fact you can soon get a tablet that offers better all around specs and features without additional data plan equals slam dunk. If not a BlackBerry user, you still have more to gain from this device and data options outside of WiFi only. Since this Tablet comes “Enterprise Ready” out of the box, expect it to take the Enterprise world by storm. So many companies are toying with the idea of how to release iPads (and now Android tablets) into their environment with all the security risks and lack of control. IT can finally breathe with a secure tablet coming out, leveraging RIM’s best-in-class security platform and control. Make sure to stay tuned to Mobility Insider for more reviews and information on all the latest mobile technology!

PlayBook Specs:
    7-inch LCD, 1024 x 600, WSVGA, capacitive touch screen with full multi-touch and gesture support
    BlackBerry Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing
    1 GHz dual-core processor
    1 GB RAM
    Dual HD cameras (3 MP front facing, 5 MP rear facing), supports 1080p HD video recording
    Video playback: 1080p HD Video, H.264, MPEG, DivX, WMV
    Audio playback: MP3, AAC, WMA
    HDMI video output
    Wi-Fi – 802.11 a/b/g/n
    Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    Connectors: microHDMI, microUSB, charging contacts
    Open, flexible application platform with support for WebKit/HTML-5, Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Adobe Mobile AIR, Adobe Reader, POSIX, OpenGL, Java
    Ultra thin and portable:
    Measures 5.1″x7.6″x0.4″ (130mm x 193mm x 10mm)
    Weighs less than a pound (approximately 0.9 lb or 400g)
    Stay Tuned!

Ryder – Mobility Insider
    11-17-10 05:18 AM
    After watching the video and going full screen with the craptastic video quality, the only icons I saw that were BB were a browser and Appworld. Didn't see BBM which makes me wonder if you'll only be able to use BBM that by using Nokia terminal mode with a paired Blackberry, which is really just putting your phone's screen on the Playbook and controlling it from there. I do wish that RIM would put some muscle behind this thing and get it out to market quicker so I can try it out for myself. They really should have a release date and price now, especially since their is no cellular radio in it that needs FCC clearance.
    11-17-10 06:22 AM
    Okay, so which of these 4 rumoured devices will find their way to Tmobile?
    11-17-10 06:48 AM
    now i love RIM and wouldnt ever use another device but why do RIM always catch up to the market why do they revolutionise it for a change and bring out something nobody else has, everyone else can seem to do it why cant RIM
    11-17-10 07:11 AM
    For those thinking the S3 must suck because Sal is getting a Verizon iPhone, keep in mind this guy has many devices across all OS's and isn't exactly hurting financially.
    Hi bighap,

I hope that you are right, Sal normally has loads of different phones all the time. After all that BB loving, you would still think that he is going to get a S3.
    especially if the specs are as good as Nikos said in earlier comments.

Personally after seeing playbook running, i want one with the S3 and the Bold 9900 !!
    11-17-10 07:43 AM
    Hi bighap,

I hope that you are right, Sal normally has loads of different phones all the time. After all that BB loving, you would still think that he is going to get a S3.
    especially if the specs are as good as Nikos said in earlier comments.

Personally after seeing playbook running, i want one with the S3 and the Bold 9900 !!
    I think the whole point of Sal's comments were that even though the S3 might have 1Ghz and be on "par" with the i4..there is no reason for anybody to jump over to it who is already running Android and iPhone. Especially considering that after it's release, there will be a whole new batch of phones coming out with better "specs"..including iPhone whenever they do their summer release. And to be honest..everyone not a RIM fan will still laugh at RIM for putting out software that was available in '09...no matter how good it runs or how fluid it is.

As far as Sal getting an iPhone..the man's in the film production business. It doesn't surprise me he wants one because the main thing with iphones is their multimedia capabilities..including shooting and editing. Mac's are renowned for their photo editing software, and the fact you can shoot "mini" HD movies and edit them with the i4 would be reason enough imo for him to get one.
    11-17-10 10:07 AM
    Why do I find it hard to believe info posted by someone that can barely type a sentence correctly?
    11-17-10 10:31 AM
    Will the Bold touchscreen be for ATT or will that come to VZW as well?

If it goes to ATT along with the Torch refresh then I might be switching carriers.
    11-17-10 11:06 AM
    I think the whole point of Sal's comments were that even though the S3 might have 1Ghz and be on "par" with the i4..there is no reason for anybody to jump over to it who is already running Android and iPhone. Especially considering that after it's release, there will be a whole new batch of phones coming out with better "specs"..including iPhone whenever they do their summer release. And to be honest..everyone not a RIM fan will still laugh at RIM for putting out software that was available in '09...no matter how good it runs or how fluid it is.

As far as Sal getting an iPhone..the man's in the film production business. It doesn't surprise me he wants one because the main thing with iphones is their multimedia capabilities..including shooting and editing. Mac's are renowned for their photo editing software, and the fact you can shoot "mini" HD movies and edit them with the i4 would be reason enough imo for him to get one.

In a way you are right, sal will be able to shoot a movie in hd via the inbuilt app, but the whole point of a phone is that it is a communication device. I have had three ip4 and all of them have had a s**t reception and are unable to make calls when you need it most. They are at the moment a glorified ipod touch with a better camera. The S3 should be ab le to make a phone call and with the new QX os it should be on a par or if not better than competitors to get some migrators back.

in

11-17-10 11:53 AM
    I have the same question as others.

Does anyone know if any of the new touch sceen devices will make their way to t-mobile in the very near future? And I am not talking about a bold touch screen. Something more in the form of a torch or storm?

I am currently test driving a Mytouch 4G that will need to be returned in a week. I will hold out on my upgrade if a new touch screen BB will be comming to TMO in the near future. The large touch screen has made a huge difference to my eyes. I view dozens of web pages though out the day while away from home and the large screen is a god send. But the battery life sucks, and android is nothing special, I miss my blackberry OS. But andoid 2.2 web browsing is still light years ahead of BB OS6. I have the leaked OS on my 9700.

I stay with TMO due to UMA calling at home, that is the only reliable signal any carrier has with in my home. The MT4G has android wifi calling which is suprisingly good.

Any advice/knowledge would be appriciated.
    11-17-10 04:10 PM
    i dont know if any of these devices are headed to tmobile. I apologize if i wasnt typing well enough, i was on a flight back to nyc and i was typing on a piece of crap ipad. I should ve paid for the gogo internet on my torch !
    11-18-10 10:23 AM
    i dont know if any of these devices are headed to tmobile. I apologize if i wasnt typing well enough, i was on a flight back to nyc and i was typing on a piece of crap ipad. I should ve paid for the gogo internet on my torch !
    Nikos thank you for sharing your info with us, it makes me feel a lot happier knowing what's coming. Is the s3 really that thin, seems like a complete seachange in design. If the torch sales continue to do well you think it won't hit until march. Do you what the timescale was with the bold 9900, if this hits I am sure that this could be rims bestseller, as the 9000 was arguably the best phone form factor they ever made.

Thanks

11-18-10 12:44 PM
    So the device pictured here...

http://www.rimarkable.com/wp-content...ry_storm_3.jpg

Is that the Storm3? Or something else?
    11-19-10 02:00 AM
    If you read the whole post from nikos, he claims that this is the TORCH 2 with a slider. The S3 is meant to be thinner than ip4, this is quite thick in comparison.
    11-19-10 03:23 AM
    yeah like i said earlier in the post that looks like the torch refresh ...i m not 100% positive but the s3 i saw looks very different..
    11-19-10 08:31 AM
    yeah like i said earlier in the post that looks like the torch refresh ...i m not 100% positive but the s3 i saw looks very different..
    Hey Nikos

Did you manage to get any more info, particularly about the screen res.

Tried to tweet Sal, but no reply. Looks like a lot other guys have as well.
    Guess everyone is waiting to someone to have the cojones to post the first pic,
    11-19-10 09:04 AM
    i dont have a pic ...if i did i would ve given it to you guys already lol....the resolution is a high definition screen ..dont know exacts but seems like a better quality of the hd2 by tmobile..(i had that phone with me when i saw the s3 thats why i compare the two)
    11-19-10 10:00 AM
    everyone saying it ll be released soon but i dont see it happening...
    11-19-10 10:36 AM
532 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD