Long awaited by PB users, regret, the OS 2.1 upgrade doesn't include any of the native Far Eastern language keyboards: Japanese, Korean, Chinese.
    IMO they will come with the OS10 upgrade next year.
    10-03-12 10:59 AM
    Long awaited by PB users, regret, the OS 2.1 upgrade doesn't include any of the native Far Eastern language keyboards: Japanese, Korean, Chinese..
    "Long awaited" because it was in beta since June 1, 2012, but the above features weren't promised/listed and it's no surprise that they're not in the official 2.1 release. Why the negative spin on an otherwise happy day for PlayBook users?

IMO they will come with the OS10 upgrade next year.
    Oh! Such a far reaching prediction when a developer has this posted on a blog (found with a simple search):

BlackBerry� 10 Cascades

33 languages will be supported in BB10.
    10-03-12 02:28 PM
    Why the negative spin on an otherwise happy day for PlayBook users?
    Obviously you do not need this feature.
    There are thousands of PB users worldwide who have been handicapped by this situation. Far Eastern kb's have long been available on BB phones, why not the PB?

Nobody ever said it was 'promised'.
    10-03-12 03:57 PM
    Obviously you do not need this feature.
    There are thousands of PB users worldwide who have been handicapped by this situation. Far Eastern kb's have long been available on BB phones, why not the PB?
    True, I don't presently need this feature. It would be nice to have and I've participated on threads as to why it isn't already in there. Like you say, it's been on the BB phones. The conclusion is that it will come, as RIM has the code base, just not the resources at present to put it into lesser versions than BB10.

Nobody ever said it was 'promised'.
    No promises broken then.

If you've been following the PlayBook history at all, then you'll know that the PlayBook won't be feature complete (if you consider full language support completing the feature set) until probably mid-2013. If you desperately need these language keyboards, then buy another tablet and by the time you get back to the PlayBook, it'll probably be even cheaper to acquire.
    10-03-12 04:32 PM
    we have 2 pbs rotting on the shelf because of the lack of korean
    10-03-12 05:20 PM
    i've got 3 of them sitting on the shelf and used as web browsing devices only once in a while.

RIM PB has brilliant hardware design and quality so I will not throw them away yet. This hardware definitely deserves a better OS and apps.
    Lacking of popular apps (such as skype?) and asian input method are the main pain points to me. (i know this is not a big thing to most of PB users.) There are always workarounds for the unavailable but wanted features, apps. I still prefer the real thing though. I spend money to buy enjoyment and convenience, not troubles/workarounds.
    A hope in the future to get these long waiting features? It sounds like a religion to me somehow.
    For now, I switch to google tablet. Miss the solid feel of PB a lot.
    10-06-12 08:40 AM
    i've got 3 of them sitting on the shelf and used as web browsing devices only once in a while.

RIM PB has brilliant hardware design and quality so I will not throw them away yet. This hardware definitely deserves a better OS and apps.
    Lacking of popular apps (such as skype?) and asian input method are the main pain points to me. (i know this is not a big thing to most of PB users.) There are always workarounds for the unavailable but wanted features, apps. I still prefer the real thing though. I spend money to buy enjoyment and convenience, not troubles/workarounds.
    A hope in the future to get these long waiting features? It sounds like a religion to me somehow.
    For now, I switch to google tablet. Miss the solid feel of PB a lot.
    10-06-12 08:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD