PlayBook hardware will support BB10, that has been stated numerous times by RIM...so no worries there
    05-28-12 02:22 PM
    PlayBook hardware will support BB10, that has been stated numerous times by RIM...so no worries there
    The point is that nobody will be overly excited by a Pentium 4 PC even if it's capable of running Windows 8. I believe what BackDaws meant is that it's hard to wow somebody with Win 8 running on a P4 powered PC with a CRT screen (dramatization intended ).
    05-28-12 04:02 PM
    I dont think thats a good idea. Especially if they plan on launching a 4g Playbook,they have to continue to improve apps,OS,and implement features that would make things easier for the end user.
    One of the features of 2.1 is Android multitasking. This will be rolled out on Playbook and the kinks will be worked out before BB10 is released.

This is just one example where it benefits RIM to have a low profile platform on which to test and develop. If BB10 is successful, people will take another look at PlayBook. If BB10 is not successful, there is no more RIM. So, it is a question of priorities. BB10 has to be great.

There are already benefits to PlayBook over other platforms depending on what someone is doing. I own an iPad and Android Tablets and choose not to leave the house without my Playbook.

Yes. Playbook should have a good GPS program and other things. But, I typically know where I am going and have my 9900's BB Traffic app if I need it. I don't have many gaps in what I need to do.
    05-28-12 04:33 PM
    Quote: a brilliant SatNav if it only had some dedicated software.

Why RIM didnt bundle BB MAps on the PB is baffling at best. Not only is BBMaps not available on other phones (and make money through Ads) its not even on newer BB devices....
    Say what? I'm on the latest device on the latest software build and I definitely have BB Maps
    05-28-12 04:41 PM
    BB MAPS is coming to PlayBook Fyi.

However Magellan does a fine job as a gps app.
    05-28-12 04:43 PM
    One of the features of 2.1 is Android multitasking. This will be rolled out on Playbook and the kinks will be worked out before BB10 is released.

This is just one example where it benefits RIM to have a low profile platform on which to test and develop. If BB10 is successful, people will take another look at PlayBook. If BB10 is not successful, there is no more RIM. So, it is a question of priorities. BB10 has to be great.

There are already benefits to PlayBook over other platforms depending on what someone is doing. I own an iPad and Android Tablets and choose not to leave the house without my Playbook.

Yes. Playbook should have a good GPS program and other things. But, I typically know where I am going and have my 9900's BB Traffic app if I need it. I don't have many gaps in what I need to do.
    Same. This, if anything, reaffirms to me my love for RIMs devices. Sure there's more apps on other platforms, but at the end of the day it only matters what you enjoy using.
    05-28-12 04:45 PM
    The point is that nobody will be overly excited by a Pentium 4 PC even if it's capable of running Windows 8. I believe what BackDaws meant is that it's hard to wow somebody with Win 8 running on a P4 powered PC with a CRT screen (dramatization intended ).
    I don't think the people who don't own one will be excited about the current pb when BB10 comes out but they might be by the successor.

I don't know about you but this current owner will be excited to get BB10 on my P4 with its crt screen
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-28-12 04:49 PM
    I don't think the people who don't own one will be excited about the current pb when BB10 comes out but they might be by the successor.

I don't know about you but this current owner will be excited to get BB10 on my P4 with its crt screen
    I totally agree! I bought the PB on day one, and the fact that my tablet which is over a year old, will be getting a BRAND NEW OS that will be heading RIM towards the future...thats amazing! Obviously the PlayBook which releases WITH BB10 will be completely upgraded, so they will run perfectly with BB10, but I still think PlayBook specs are great and will function great with BB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-28-12 05:32 PM
    talk about a pointless argument.....

PB is NOT getting a brand new OS.... its getting a new user interface. the OS will remain QNX...what youre using now is BB10 less the fancy frills. The apps will do pretty much the same as now just probably a bit slicker to use and functionally better.

just USE the features you have and enjoy the device for what it does to make your life easier.
    kennyliu likes this.
    05-28-12 05:38 PM
    Yes we know it isn't a new OS but the guts will be new.
    05-28-12 05:39 PM
    Out of topic...

PB OS has so much delight into it! Let's keep in mind, no OS reaches maturity in one year! Have my PB for two months... I am in love.

As a former android user, I am pleased with the sense of simplicity, stability and elegance of our OS. Android is a mess, and most of apps are rubbish. Too bad most people do not realize this, because it is easier to go with the hype ... Ignore its faults, forgive and forget (as a illustrative example, recently a colleague of mine was not receiving mms on his ics nexus mobile ... According to him, It was a minor known bug ... Minor bug?... Wtf?).

Unfortunately for BB10 to be a success, it is not enough to "wow" people. The Android dogma has to be broken, the truth has to be said. History is full of success stories of mediocre kings, like android recent success.
    05-28-12 06:25 PM
    nobody is dogging the OS we are basically pointing out features that are missing, the OS is fantastic, its whats missing thats the problem, it feels a bit you know bare bones.
    05-28-12 06:33 PM
    talk about a pointless argument.....

PB is NOT getting a brand new OS.... its getting a new user interface. the OS will remain QNX...what youre using now is BB10 less the fancy frills. The apps will do pretty much the same as now just probably a bit slicker to use and functionally better.

just USE the features you have and enjoy the device for what it does to make your life easier.
    Actually, it's something of an oversimplification to say that BB10 is just a new UI over top of the current PB OS. There actually ARE quite a few genuine structural changes, with many new APIs added into the OS.

One might make the argument that Windows 7 was just Vista SP2 (and many tried), but there actually was enough underlying architecture changed to justify its designation as a new OS version.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    05-28-12 06:56 PM
    Actually, it's something of an oversimplification to say that BB10 is just a new UI over top of the current PB OS. There actually ARE quite a few genuine structural changes, with many new APIs added into the OS.

One might make the argument that Windows 7 was just Vista SP2 (and many tried), but there actually was enough underlying architecture changed to justify its designation as a new OS version.
    I've also heard that the kernel version is being updated from version 6.5 to version 8, which is basically the most major underlying structural change that RIM could make. Along with the many other changes that are undoubtedly being made to the OS, this would definitely equate to a change in version designation.
    stackberry369 likes this.
    05-28-12 09:54 PM
    An update yes a completely new OS ...NO. If we were talkingfrom the perspective of a bb phone then yes we should be saying new OS, for playbook users bb10 is just an update, its what will be done by devs with apps that will make it useful not the OS being labelled bb10.
    Last edited by dd3; 05-29-12 at 05:00 AM.
    05-29-12 04:56 AM
    Well the OS will or better have better function to it. The devs will add the apps that work with the function. So yes the OS will be more useful.
    05-29-12 07:43 AM
    any news ? i dont think its happening is it
    05-29-12 07:51 AM
    So clewley says they are not removing apps from the 2.1 dev beta like they did in 2.0. This is good news. Also it is still on schedule and has a time frame for the end of May.

Maybe today!?
    05-29-12 08:43 AM
    Thanks good so itll be a fully fuctioning dev update ? so we can all have mess with it

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2
    05-29-12 09:00 AM
    Yup, I'm hoping to see the jaycut video editor for one. Also would like to see some better media management O and some browser management too!
    05-29-12 09:05 AM
    I hope they add folder structure for emailing a photo, its doing my head in the way it's set up now.
    05-29-12 09:15 AM
    Maybe they will announce it at the first BlackBerry 10 Jam World Tour event in Milan!!
    05-29-12 09:32 AM
    Makes sense right? ^^^^
    05-29-12 09:40 AM
    Confirmed again before the end of May!! http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...a-week-726826/

Lets hope its today.
    05-29-12 09:42 AM
    no because BB jam is BB10 not 2.1.
    also at the time of thios writing I believe it is 4pm tues
    05-29-12 09:43 AM
200 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD