Will the new os provide some updated codecs so that i can watch the moview i have downloaded. Seems hit or miss on whether the stuff i have downloaded to my pb has audio or not
    02-18-12 12:29 PM
    I dont know if this is known yet, but you can always just open the manual and see the list of supported movies and codes, and use the supported files to avoid the unsupported issue.
    02-18-12 12:47 PM
    the problem is, i am not real sure how to dive off in the file to see what the audio is setup as
    02-18-12 01:06 PM
    MediaInfo

Handy little tool
    02-18-12 05:15 PM
    I have the same problem with some movies. Throwing it through handbrake has done the trick every time.
    02-18-12 05:29 PM
    yeah I downloaded Handbrake earlier and have converted some movies today. Works great. I hope I don't have to do this everytime
    02-18-12 05:35 PM
    The current OS 2.0 betas have added support for the MKV container but have added no new audio codecs. At this point it seems unlikely the release version will, but it's always possible.
    02-18-12 07:36 PM
    just like the others, i just utilize handbreak.
    02-18-12 07:40 PM
    The current OS 2.0 betas have added support for the MKV container but have added no new audio codecs. At this point it seems unlikely the release version will, but it's always possible.
    I do hope there will be some new codecs - audio or video... a little FLAC love would be more than welcome!
    02-18-12 07:57 PM
    This is the only reason I "like" iTunes, cause it converts and pushes to whatever hardware apple you have connected to it. The apple hardware to my knowledge doesn't support ac3 or dts either but since you have to run through iTunes it always plays. So yes we have an extra step, but it is possible and I personally just converted all my movies 120 of them to aac 5.1 audio so they are compatible. It took about 12 hours to do but from now on I will do all my rips in aac so i don't have this problem again. As for video its pretty much taken what I could throw at it.
    02-19-12 12:52 AM
    i can never play movies, well only 1st time, then if i switch to another movie file the screen just goes black
    02-19-12 05:30 AM
    I do hope there will be some new codecs - audio or video... a little FLAC love would be more than welcome!
    That was one of the suprises to me - my 9700 suppots flac, so I expected the PB to as well.
    02-19-12 06:58 AM
    just like the others, i just utilize handbreak.
    ... and have to wait 30+ minutes to convert each movie. That's lame.

Unless there's a tool that can convert a movie in less than a minute, then RIM should be adding AC3 support in the Playbook.
    02-19-12 08:12 AM
    ... and have to wait 30+ minutes to convert each movie. That's lame.

Unless there's a tool that can convert a movie in less than a minute, then RIM should be adding AC3 support in the Playbook.
    Just convert the audio stream and copy the video one. It will only take seconds...
    02-19-12 08:26 AM
    Yes exactly what Wolfgan said. But I guess no one has read about ac3 support and why tablets do not have it... Nor did anyone read my post. Anyhow 120 movies and countless TV episodes, everything plays without a hiccup, and converted in no time.
    02-19-12 12:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD