Does anyone read any of the thread or just come in to say I don't see the update? I know I answered my own question.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-06-12 07:41 AM
    Does anyone read any of the thread or just come in to say I don't see the update? I know I answered my own question.

I dont see an update...

when does anyone read a thread anymore? lol
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-06-12 07:46 AM
    I dont see an update...

when does anyone read a thread anymore? lol
    LOL so true.

Let's see there is a thread about an update I'm not getting that is 20 some pages long.

I'll just go to the last page, not read any of it even though 2 post above mine states the update was pulled and post I don't see it.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-06-12 07:55 AM
    ... but this is!

BBC News - Nasa's Curiosity rover successfully lands on Mars

Maybe off-topic, but NASA have landed the Curiosity rover on the surface of Mars after a scarily complex set of computer controlled manoeuvres culminating in lowering the rover onto the surface by winching it down from a hovering rocket!

Now that is "execution"!

State the objective, deliver on what you say. Execution.

Awesome job NASA.
    And NASA uses QNX which will be in BB10.

Now, show BB some love and back to topic. LoL
    08-06-12 08:20 AM
    LOL so true.

Let's see there is a thread about an update I'm not getting that is 20 some pages long.

I'll just go to the last page, not read any of it even though 2 post above mine states the update was pulled and post I don't see it.

I would venture that many actually do read that it was pulled and have the whole "it wont happen to me" complex haha
    08-06-12 08:24 AM
    ... but this is!

Maybe off-topic, but NASA have landed the Curiosity rover on the surface of Mars after a scarily complex set of computer controlled manoeuvres culminating in lowering the rover onto the surface by winching it down from a hovering rocket!

Now that is "execution"!

Awesome job NASA.
    Hey, maybe you want to send a few spare dollars and/or pounds to support them. My taxes are already being directed to MY MEDICARE!!!
    08-06-12 10:09 AM
    Hey, maybe you want to send a few spare dollars and/or pounds to support them. My taxes are already being directed to MY MEDICARE!!!
    Spare money...? I'm sorry... you're breaking up... must be the atmospherics... full of Martians! LOL

Nope. I'm going to be firm on this one. When you threw all that tea into the harbour, you lost the right to benefit from my taxes. It's only fair... we've got royalty to support you know... and they don't come cheap!

All joking aside, the landing was an awesome engineering achievement with so many complex elements that seemed almost ridiculous on first hearing. Winching the rover down from a hovering rocket was such an marvellously elegant idea that, as an engineer, just impresses the heck out of me.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-06-12 10:28 AM
    Interesting enough my Playbook still only has 2.0.1.560 installed. Even after I wiped it .560 downloads and there is no sign of .668 even if I plug into my PC and check the tablet OS update.

I wonder if RIM prematurely released .668?

A.
    If I see the threads correctly, RIM release 2 updates. Yes 2. One for those using 2.0.1.XXX and one for those running the beta version 2.1.0.XXX The one for those running the beta was only 3 MB. The other one was a large one, in excess of 300 MB.

I'm running the beta and it is 2.1.0.560 and was only a 3 mb download and was 2.1.0.560 before the update and is still 2.1.0.560. This is because I'm running the beta version, not the 2.0.1.XXX

I don't know what the version of the 2.0.1.XXX was prior to the release, but I'm sure someone does.

Just trying to sort out any confusion and this is my take on the updates. Those bashing RIM need to read the threads and look carefully at their Playbooks. If you want 2.1.0 then sign up for the beta and get it.

There is also a thread on the small 3 MB update going.
    08-06-12 10:28 AM
    ... but this is!

Now that is "execution"!

Awesome job NASA.
    All without a delay. Wow. It can be done; objectives can be made; goals attained.

Imagine that.
    dave1701 likes this.
    08-06-12 10:29 AM
    All without a delay. Wow. It can be done; objectives can be made; goals attained.

Imagine that.
    OK but I don't think RIM has rocket scientists lol. Maybe they should employ a few.
    dave1701 likes this.
    08-06-12 11:04 AM
    I just confirmed that the browser has been improved on the 668 OS update!

Check the detailed results here (scroll down to the botton!):
    Playbook browser's performance comparison - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    08-06-12 11:25 AM
    OK but I don't think RIM has rocket scientists lol. Maybe they should employ a few.
    Haha! LOL!

Two points for 1960, that's a great point.
    08-06-12 12:14 PM

The ChalkBoard test does not complete on Playbook with 2.1.0.614. It crashes every time.

Playbook 2.1.0.614
    jQuery 43.6
    YUI 3 20.1
    MooTools 34.6
    Zepto 50.5
    TweenLite 59.9
    TweenLite (200p) 42.1
    TweenLite (1000p) 5.4

Same tests that the posted in the other thread used. General improvements across the board.

Sunspider was 2082.8ms +/- 0.5%
    3D - 311.4ms
    access - 248.2ms
    bitops - 141.0ms
    controlflow - 17.5ms
    crypto - 168.7ms
    date - 286.6ms
    math - 168.6ms
    regexp - 99.0ms
    string - 641.8ms

Sunspider Results

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 08-06-12 at 12:58 PM.
    08-06-12 12:43 PM
    Anyone know why I wouldn't see this (these) update?

On 2.0.1.358

Curious.
    08-06-12 05:34 PM
    The OS update was pulled due to issues when updating Playbook with 1.0.7. It's a public holiday today in Canada (3 day long weekend) --- so there is no RIM staff to write blog entries about the pull.
    jdm2102 likes this.
    08-06-12 06:11 PM
    Spare money...? I'm sorry... you're breaking up... must be the atmospherics... full of Martians! LOL

Nope. I'm going to be firm on this one. When you threw all that tea into the harbour, you lost the right to benefit from my taxes. It's only fair... we've got royalty to support you know... and they don't come cheap!

All joking aside, the landing was an awesome engineering achievement with so many complex elements that seemed almost ridiculous on first hearing. Winching the rover down from a hovering rocket was such an marvellously elegant idea that, as an engineer, just impresses the heck out of me.
    You folks really do hold a grudge and still have not learned how to spell "harbor!"

And those royalty seem to be multiplying like (union) jack rabbits!

I did not follow the logistics until last night and I was also aghast at the pulley system. How did the rockets (red glare) not sever the cabling? But my undergraduate degree was biology so what do I know. Let's see if they come up with any carbon or other element-based life forms! Oh, and thanks for some form of English - I would have been a miserable failure in German or French!
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-06-12 06:39 PM

Hmmmm... I thought I'd take a closer look. Here is what you posted for the GreenSock animated speed test:

Code:
    358	668	Framework
    37 	43 	jQuery
    16 	18 	YUI 3
    29 	34 	MooTools
    - 	41 	Dojo (new)
    - 	34 	TweenJS (new)
    36 	50 	Zepto
    30 	60 	TweenLite
    23 	41 	TweenLite (200p)
    3 	4 	TweenLite (1000p)
    I did a small test with 50 particles on my Playbook on 668:
    41 jQuery
    11.3 YUI 3
    27.3 MooTools
    37.4 Dojo (new)
    17.8 TweenJS (new)
    54.4 Zepto

By the variability of my results with yours, my conclusion is that these tests are not statistically valid for browser comparison.

As a matter of fact, they are for tweening developers to test the GreenSock Animation Platform performance and compatibility on different browsers... not a head-to-head browser comparison tool.

I guess you sort of alluded to this:

Code:
    I didn't develop any of the pages or tests listed here. I just randomly
    come across a webpage that makes great use of JavaScript and CSS and try 
    them on some tablets to see if the websites are still usable.
    Yet you still pass off the results as if they are something they are not (a credible test of playbook browser performance). The fact is the RIM has announced that this a minor change and has made mention only of a an Adobe flash security vulnerability.

That's it.

Nothing more.

It is absolutely mind numbing how much unsubstantiated, fabricated, or just plain wrong information is posted here. It just goes to show you the importance of remembering the false adage... "It must be true, I read it on the Internet."
    08-06-12 06:57 PM
    Hi there,

Still going good with 668, no issues or problems. Since hard reboot works really smooth, wifi locks on strong and no over heating

Last edited by fabio1; 08-07-12 at 12:47 AM.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    08-07-12 12:45 AM
    Under this new OS, Paypal transactions sure got faster, and are less buggy. Just like a girl: Cool, I can SHOP faster!
    08-07-12 12:21 PM
    I have the lasted update, and my battery drain around 10% in less than an one hour in stand by... any solution ?
    08-07-12 04:37 PM
    ... but this is!

Now that is "execution"!

Awesome job NASA.
    Like the 98 mission when the Mars Climate Orbiter crashed into Mars due to a "metric" confusion - Awesome job NASA (not)!
    Taka313 likes this.
    08-07-12 05:08 PM
    I have the lasted update, and my battery drain around 10% in less than an one hour in stand by... any solution ?
    Have you rebooted your Playbook a couple of times? That's been a solution for many. Also, do you have an Hotmail account? There have been reported issues with Hotmail and battery drain with solutions (changing server address).
    08-08-12 08:10 AM
    Not sure if this is directly related to the OS upgrade, but I can't take screenshots anymore. Anyone else have this problem?
    08-08-12 09:46 AM
    Not sure if this is directly related to the OS upgrade, but I can't take screenshots anymore. Anyone else have this problem?

I also have .668 and took a screenshot yesterday, so no problem with me...

Restart or reboot

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-08-12 09:53 AM
    I also have .668 and took a screenshot yesterday, so no problem with me...

Restart or reboot

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    There were reports on the beta about only being able to take x number of screenshots before you would have to reboot to take more.
    08-08-12 10:01 AM
426 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD