Please please please forgive me for this and it's only my interpretation of your post but do I not detect a contradiction in terms here. "The BlackBerry PlayBook has the perfect UI for a tablet", agreed so far.

But developers and users alike would benefit from BlackBerry OS 10 coming to the tablet while maintaining the current BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.1 user interface..

So let me get this right. You want bb10 on the pb but want to keep the OS 2.1 UI?

The pb OS 2.1 UI is bb10 already. I have stated in posts many times that the first noticeable thing about my Z10 which I believe is running bb10 was the UI made it to all intense and purpose a miniature pb!

You just like confusing me really don't you?
    Let me clear up at least a bit of the confusion you read into my earlier message.

The internals of BlackBerry OS 10 provide a better platform for developers. The user interface (UI) meaning the visual layout and functionality of the user interface vis-a-vis the single row (drawer) of icons at the bottom of the screen, the tap to open the drawer to reveal additional icons for applications and/or folders containing icons for applications, and the landscape orientation are well-suited to the tablet. The BlackBerry 10 user interface is well-suited for the smartphone but not the tablet in my opinion as I user of both BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry PlayBook. Bringing cascades to the BlackBerry PlayBook would allow developers to create versions of their applications for either smartphone or tablet - both in fact if they choose. Unless you have experienced an operating system which separates the user interface (desktop environment) from the kernel, file system(s), device drivers, etc. such as provided by any distribution of GNU/Linux, you might never understand. Microsoft Windows makes their desktop environment welded to the other parts of the system; if the GUI crashes the entire computer comes crashing down or freezes.

BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.1 is not BlackBerry OS 10, although it was the proof-of-concept for what we know as BlackBerry OS 10. You need to separate the user interface from the operating system internals (kernel, file system(s), device drivers, etc.) in your mind to understand the point I have tried to make and maybe I have failed to communicate my thoughts in a clear, concise manner.
    03-29-13 11:43 AM
    I'm not sure why people would even use bridge. Wow my phone is a remote control, yawn. It is easier responding to emails from the Z10 than the PlayBook, due to the superior keyboard. so why bother with bridge? I haven't turned my PlayBook on since I got the Z10.

Am I missing something about bridge? There seems to be a lot of talk about it, yet it just seems a bit lame to me. Maybe I'm missing something? What am I missing?

Posted via CB10
    The BlackBerry PlayBook could replace a notebook or desktop for some people. With BlackBerry Bridge all the email accounts on the BlackBerry Z10 would remain on the smartphone but users could read and reply to those emails from the tablet. This is especially true when a physical keyboard (Bluetooth) is paired with the tablet. I prefer keeping email accounts in one place instead of having duplicate accounts on multiple devices. Again unless you have used BlackBerry Bridge with a pre-BlackBerry 10 smartphone, you might never appreciate the powerful combination that many of us have enjoyed until we switched to the BlackBerry Z10.
    SEAWARRIOR and KenderJ like this.
    03-29-13 11:48 AM
    The main concern I have is that now the new bb10 handsets are not utilizing BIS, they are just like any other smartphone out there only not quite as good. Has Thorsten been put in place with a brief to do just that so when the time comes to bail out, it will be easier to find a buyer for the company?
    I have been wondering what precipitated the "END OF BIS" What does it mean? I wonder if this was a bow to carriers who want users to pay for data and BIS compressed it. Also rim obviously siphoned off money for BIS accounts and now maybe the carriers get the full ticket? Also, I did notice the the reports on the Earnings, there was some concern about the reduction in Subscribers. Well, if there's no BIS, I would imagine there will be fewer and fewer subscribers. Rim will have less what I'd call "automatic" earnings anytime they use to sell a bb phone.

If I do ever upgrade to a bb10 phone, I would sorely miss the filters that bis now provides to my phone. I only get certain emails on my phone while I'm out and about. I don't need or want to see the other 50 or more percent of the email. This is always particularly helpful while on vacation and clearly when I was in Europe where data costs were exorbitant.

Has CB done a blog on the LOSS OF BIS?
    hreiner1 likes this.
    03-29-13 12:00 PM
    The BlackBerry PlayBook could replace a notebook or desktop for some people. With BlackBerry Bridge all the email accounts on the BlackBerry Z10 would remain on the smartphone but users could read and reply to those emails from the tablet. This is especially true when a physical keyboard (Bluetooth) is paired with the tablet. I prefer keeping email accounts in one place instead of having duplicate accounts on multiple devices. Again unless you have used BlackBerry Bridge with a pre-BlackBerry 10 smartphone, you might never appreciate the powerful combination that many of us have enjoyed until we switched to the BlackBerry Z10.
    Are you a politician? Both threads started off at the same place and end at the same place without actually saying anything in between?

65% of most end users wouldn't even understand what your last two posts said let alone care! We can all talk business semantics and infrastructure difficulties with particular platform attributes and developer difficulties and their preferred requirements, but when was the last time you entered a mobile phone shop to buy a handset and actually asked one of their highly trained technical advisors for advice?

In words of one syllable, please explain the difference that a normal man in the street (end user) that didn't attend MIT, would notice that is different between the pb and the Z10. In other words bb10 and 2.1

Excuse me while I pop down to the cellar. I have enough brandy to see me through reading the reply but I suddenly feel in need!
    03-29-13 12:06 PM
    I'm not sure why people would even use bridge. Wow my phone is a remote control, yawn. It is easier responding to emails from the Z10 than the PlayBook, due to the superior keyboard. so why bother with bridge? I haven't turned my PlayBook on since I got the Z10.

Am I missing something about bridge? There seems to be a lot of talk about it, yet it just seems a bit lame to me. Maybe I'm missing something? What am I missing?

Posted via CB10
    I think Sad-old covered some stuff. I also like having my MEMOS on the pb. All those little notes are instantly available. So are my contacts and my Calendar. I don't have to worry about sycning or copying or what-have-you. My phone can be upstairs while I'm in the den downstairs and my mail is instantly on my pb. I can be looking something up on the pb's browser and reading a book and instantly have access to my mail or memos or calendar.

I personally don't give too many slide shows so that actually the remove aspect of Bridge is not that useful but it is there. So throw a bone to those of us who used the Bridges' other functions. Bring Back Full Bridge!

Then, there's the security aspect. I can turn off my phone, hand someone the pb for some quick use and they have no access to my email, contacts or data. Those items "dissolve" then Bridge is closed.
    03-29-13 12:06 PM
    Then, there's the security aspect. I can turn off my phone, hand someone the pb for some quick use and they have no access to my email, contacts or data. Those items "dissolve" then Bridge is closed.
    Right on F2 you hit the nail on the head.

BIS and full Bridge features is what sets the BB user experience apart from any other platform.

Showing off Bridge to iOS and Android users has never failed to WOW them.

The BB experience needs to still be unique not just slick and convenient with the user in control of that experience. BIS + Bridge is a winning combination that surpasses me too apps IMHO.
    sad_old_man, JeepBB and FF22 like this.
    03-29-13 12:36 PM
    My Playbook always had one feature that made it better than any other tablet out there, "Bridge" I could surf the internet all day on my Sprint unlimited data plan, all without any extra charges. All I needed was my BB8530 in my pocket and I was good to go.And rightfully so, if you pay for unlimited data and they supply unlimited data plans, then how you use it on your phone is up to you (you are still using your phone, just viewing on playbook) (please read and digest AT&T). Should have been on the Z10, then if it was unavaliable we would know it was the carrier and decide on carrier choice with this information. But not to get it from BB, thats a no no. Mind you US carriers are not exactly falling over backwards to support BB so who knows what went on behind the scenes. One things for sure, the US carriers need to have stricter guidlines imposed on them, White only avialable from Verizon, Nonsense!
    JeepBB, FF22 and Zildjian71 like this.
    03-29-13 01:02 PM
    I agree that not all people require the bridge functions. I however do and after upgrading to the new supposed flagship handset of the new revamped BB/RIM company whatever they are called, I can't help comparing my families phones compared to my Z10. An SIII, iphone5 and now my Z10 connect to the pb the same way through wifi hotspot on the handset. I have no functionality through the link on the SIII or iphone5 and very limited functionality through my Z10 although the SIII and iphone5 connection is faster. I have also lost the BIS facility and all the attributes that go with it.

So I have to ask, why would anyone choose the Z10 for their next phone unless they were bb zealots (that's me) or didn't take any notice of the salesman in the shop telling them that they are crap?
    FF22 likes this.
    03-29-13 01:26 PM
    So I have to ask, why would anyone choose the Z10 for their next phone unless they were bb zealots (that's me) or didn't take any notice of the salesman in the shop telling them that they are crap?
    Heh-heh... I'm afraid the answer for me is that I won't choose the Z10 until, and unless, they restore the BB audio/visual notifications, the awesome-sauce of Bridge (which I used all the time), and the Apps I use daily are present. So I'm playing a waiting game, as I reckon are many former BB zealots judging by some of the posts I've read on other parts of this forum.

Though, I wouldn't want to give anyone the impression that I cry myself to sleep every night because I desperately want a Z10 and I'm denying myself... I'm happy enough with my Lumia (happy enough that I'd buy another one frankly)... and if BB want my money, they'll have to try a whole lot harder than this!

Nice Vulcan pics BTW... I've always thought it was one of the most beautiful aircraft made.
    FF22, sad_old_man and rottonj like this.
    03-29-13 02:57 PM
    I have been wondering what precipitated the "END OF BIS" What does it mean? I wonder if this was a bow to carriers who want users to pay for data and BIS compressed it. Also rim obviously siphoned off money for BIS accounts and now maybe the carriers get the full ticket? Also, I did notice the the reports on the Earnings, there was some concern about the reduction in Subscribers. Well, if there's no BIS, I would imagine there will be fewer and fewer subscribers. Rim will have less what I'd call "automatic" earnings anytime they use to sell a bb phone.

If I do ever upgrade to a bb10 phone, I would sorely miss the filters that bis now provides to my phone. I only get certain emails on my phone while I'm out and about. I don't need or want to see the other 50 or more percent of the email. This is always particularly helpful while on vacation and clearly when I was in Europe where data costs were exorbitant.

Has CB done a blog on the LOSS OF BIS?

Right on F2 regarding BIS, and that's why the carriers did not like the bridge to the PB, using for free the data from the BB phone. I love it when I can use the internet through the BB9780

I am in the US and use T-MO a BB 9780 and a PB
    and I travel a lot internationally, before leaving for an international trip I call T-Mo and ask them to turn on my international email data which runs on BIS, at a cost of $20 a months, or pro-rated about $5 a week

Before I leave the US I set my BB9780 to forward all my calls to my Vonage Phone number, so all calls I get will be send to me as an voice e-mail. I than use my BB 9780 UMA function to make calls back to the USA with a WIFI connection for free just using minutes of my plan
    for international calls I use COMWAVE when overseas, but it would be nice to have SKYPE

Z10 is using data for emails, even internationally
    My IPhone and Android friends tell me horror stories when they they come back from overseas with phone bills to $500

And I am using local SIM cards in Europe and in the middle East in an old unlocked BB 8230, where I can do texting which is popular in these areas

Just now I bought myself an Huawei 586 unlocked wifi hotspot, which I will use with local data SIM cards as hotel internet runs $25+ for 24 hours

so I will be one of the last BB lovers who will giving up a BB 7.0 phone in BIS and my PB with the famous bridge

Amen brothers
    Last edited by hreiner1; 03-30-13 at 03:06 PM.
    03-30-13 10:51 AM
    Right on F2 regarding BIS, and that's why the carriers did not like the bridge to the PB, using for free the data from the BB phone. I love it when I can use the internet through the BB9780

I am in the US and use T-MO a BB 9780 and a PB
    and I travel a lot internationally, before leaving for an I call T-Mo and ask them to turn on my international email data which runs on BIS, at a cost of $20 a months, or pro-rated about $10 a week
    Before I leave the US I forward all my calls to my Vonage Phone number, so all calls I get will be send to me as an voice e-mail. I than use my BB 9780 UMA function, to make calls back to the USA with a WIFI connection for free just using minutes of my plan
    for international calls I use COMWAVE when overseas, but it would be nice to have SKYPE

Z10 is using data for emails, even internationally
    My IPhone and Android friends tell me horror stories when they they come back from overseas with phone bills to $500
    And I am using local SIM cards in Europe and in the middle East in an old unlocked BB 8230, where I can do texting which is popular in these areas

Just now I bought myself an Huawei 586 unlocked wifi hotspot, which I will use with local data sim cards as hotel internet runs $25+ fro 24 hours

so I will be on the last giving up a BB 7.0 phone in BIS and my PB with the famous bridge
    Well bretheren we are witnessing the dawn of understanding. But in giving in to the demands of the carriers in the hopes of shifting more numbers of handsets?????????????? Are RIM that shortsighted and naive they don't understand that now with nothing to separate them from their competition, they are in direct conflict with Apple (god forbid I said that word), Samsung, Microsoft (nokia), Motorola and HTC?

As far as smartphones go the Z10 is so far down the list that you would need to read the listing number with a mainframe to understand it. Even the reviewers are struggling to find the one item that sets them apart from the others, (BIS) and now it's not there they can only review it on a level platform with the other smartphones out there. It a non starter!!!!!!!!!

The other competitors are financially strong enough to ride out the sad event of a ill conceived idea, but RIM are not. Maybe in five years time they may, just may have a chance at competing, but the market and the shareholders are not that patient!!!!!

We are all doomed boys, all doomed!
    03-30-13 12:07 PM
    Z10: Into each life some rain must fall
    I didn't know I would catch it all
    The clear skies have gone
    And you with them too
    It's not the same now without you
    I used to say you're so beautiful
    But it didn't change a thing at all
    There's nowhere to run
    Got nowhere to hide
    I can't forget you and I've tried, but...

I'm a deeper shade of blue
    And there's nothing I can do
    You're so far, far away
    Yeah, I'm a darker shade of me
    And I just can't be free
    You're so far, far away
    You're so far away

Into each life some sun must shine
    Well someone else must be getting mine
    The days are so empty
    Night's are so long
    Awaking to find again that you've gone
    I used to say you were wonderful
    Now I just wonder where you are
    It's easy to say memories fade
    But I'm still missing you
    Nothing's changed ... and

You're so far, far away
    And I just can't be free
    You're so far, far away
    You're so far away

Summer is over
    And all we are is apart
    The nights are so cold now
    Without you in my heart

You're so far, far away
    And I just can't be free
    You're so far, far away
    You're so far away.....
    03-30-13 12:31 PM
    I shot an arrow in the air,
    It fell to earth, I know not where.
    For so swiftly it flew,
    the sight could not follow its flight.

I breathed a song into the air,
    It fell to earth I know not where,
    For who has sight so keen and strong,
    that it can follow the flight of song.

Long long afterwards in oak,
    I found the arrow still unbroke,
    and the song from beginning to end,
    I found again in the heart of a friend !
    03-30-13 01:05 PM
    & let's not forget the remote function,,, i don't care who you are or what device you're on, it's just damn cool,,, & if there were still pb's in stores, hijacking would still be fun as he!!,,, now you just have to hope someone you know has one & they have a momentary lapse...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-30-13 04:07 PM
    & let's not forget the remote function,,, i don't care who you are or what device you're on, it's just damn cool,,, & if there were still pb's in stores, hijacking would still be fun as he!!,,, now you just have to hope someone you know has one & they have a momentary lapse...
    Are you allowed out in the daylight? I'm not, just wondered what's its like?
    03-30-13 04:26 PM
    I have been wondering what precipitated the "END OF BIS" What does it mean?

If you have an IMAP or Microsoft Exchange email account, you can filter email into folders on the server and then choose which folders are synchronized with the BlackBerry Z10. For example, I have a subfolder under my Microsoft Exchange Inbox called 'BlackBerry World' into which all receipts for application purchases are filtered and I configured this subfolder never to push email to my smartphone.
    03-30-13 04:41 PM
    Are you allowed out in the daylight? I'm not, just wondered what's its like?
    only if my dr. or my body clock co-operates,,, lately, i go to sleep between 3am - 7am,,, was out today blowing the smoke out of & the dust off of my hog,,, lots of sun to go w/ it,,, get out & getcha some,,, spring is springin'...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-30-13 04:53 PM
    If you have an IMAP or Microsoft Exchange email account, you can filter email into folders on the server and then choose which folders are synchronized with the BlackBerry Z10. For example, I have a subfolder under my Microsoft Exchange Inbox called 'BlackBerry World' into which all receipts for application purchases are filtered and I configured this subfolder never to push email to my smartphone.
    I too can organise my folders on my laptop, pc, nt server and Unix network. Has this any relevance to BIS? And bb security?
    03-30-13 05:16 PM
    Am I the only one in here that expected the cool remote control feature to work like a charm for playing games?

Although the BBZ10 has or is getting Bluetooth support for Bluetooth controllers,
    I wanted to use the remote control feature as a controller for my Z10 but it just sucks!
    Some games or apps are not responding to a tap on the screen at all, not seeing the tap as a single click, while others do sense a single tap but it's not responding in the same way as tapping the PB screen itself making it impossible to achieve anything.

I really do hope some stuff gets worked out and that it will let you play some great games someday.
    There is no point in hooking up my PB to my flat screen tv if i still need to stand 1 feet away from it and holding it myself. (Same goes for the Z10.)
    Sure a Bluetooth controller for the PB helps but it would become an awesome 2 package deal if you would buy both products from BBRY like I have.
    This would even be more great if they release a new tablet in the future. Gives buyers another reason to go for BBRY, cause if you have the phone, you could also use Bridge to transform your phone into a epic controller! And vice versa, have the tablet? Get the phone for even more epicness!

Just my 2 cents, a bit disappointed
    04-04-13 05:12 AM
    only if my dr. or my body clock co-operates,,, lately, i go to sleep between 3am - 7am,,, was out today blowing the smoke out of & the dust off of my hog,,, lots of sun to go w/ it,,, get out & getcha some,,, spring is springin'...
    Do you go searching for truffles with your hog?
    04-04-13 08:39 AM
    Is there an ATT user out there that was able to get the bridge to work between z10 and playbook?
    10-17-13 12:07 PM
    Is there an ATT user out there that was able to get the bridge to work between z10 and playbook?
    Remove/UNinstall Bridge on the phone. I THINK I've read that you REMOVE your sim card. Then using wifi download and install Bridge to the phone again. AFTER it is installed replace sim card in phone. Good luck
    10-17-13 02:04 PM
47 12