Greetings fellow PlayBook owners.
    Why can't the PlayBook YouTube app work reliably. I find my self going back to the iphone 4 to keep up with my subscriptions.

I've tried side loading the android app but it won't let me log in.

I love my PlayBook and enjoy it daily but the you tube side is poor.

Any ideas on how to improve my experience I'm on an n wireless network
    03-21-12 02:59 PM
    Youtube.com works just fine for me. I have never touched the app, because no app is better than the full website.
    03-21-12 03:03 PM
    I agree with TW93. Never bothered with the app as the website works just fine.

Si.
    Diana Graham likes this.
    03-21-12 03:11 PM
    Why would you use the app? The website works great.
    03-21-12 03:12 PM
    The app works fine for me, but like the others I prefer the web page.
    iusebb, dave1701 and Melimo like this.
    03-21-12 03:13 PM
    I've never had that many problems with the YT app when it comes to its reliability but there is something else that bugs me about it: it seems to only search and load html5/.mp4 encoded videos. It's definitely not flash based.
    03-21-12 03:15 PM
    Yup use the browesr. So much better than the app on any platform
    03-21-12 03:17 PM
    Your title is misleading, you tube works great on the PlayBook, the app as well as the website. How about a title like this; I'm having problems with YouTube on my PlayBook
    03-21-12 03:17 PM
    The app is garbage, but the site works just fine for me.
    dave1701, Melimo and darktoy like this.
    03-21-12 03:18 PM
    Why is it so terrible?
    03-21-12 03:23 PM
    apps for websites like youtube or facebook are for phones with tiny screens

why people actually try to use these on tablets with reasonable amounts of screen real estate and fully functioning browsers is beyond me
    03-21-12 03:25 PM
    It is the same like with any other app out there that has a web page as well for the same stuff. The apps are all just crippled in functions and makes them useless for me. The youtube app only plays videos when it feels like it. I gave up on it after 10 minutes and just used the browser instead. Same with the Facebookapp. Can't delete messages, can't poke anybody and for crucial settings functions it simply forwards you to the web page. Why bother?
    03-21-12 03:53 PM
    I use the site, not the app
    03-21-12 03:56 PM
    Yep, same here, the website works just fine.
    03-21-12 03:58 PM
    OP you gat a great browser..use it...the app works great for me but the browser is even better.
    Elyssa_38, Cracklen and EricB1968 like this.
    03-21-12 04:18 PM
    Like many others say, use the website, besides on the website you can have all the videos, remember that the PB does play flash videos man, can your iphone 4 do that?
    03-21-12 04:20 PM
    New ad for playbook : Who needs apps, browser is great on a 7" screen !

Incredibly promising future markets...
    03-21-12 04:22 PM
    Agree with everyone else here, no reason not to use the browser. youtube.com works amazingly well on the browser.
    03-21-12 04:31 PM
    Works exceptionally well here. I really don't know what it is with other purported owners having all these problems with the browser, you tube, messaging, with-fi, screen boogeymen, bad music player, on/off button too difficult to press, light leaks, ported apps blow, native apps really blow, RIM honchos blow the mostest, yada, yada, yada.

I guess I'm living right and doing right, since I cannot relate to these hundreds of repetitive threads that all point to one thing, that the PlayBook is a freaking fail. Are you all happy now...the PlayBook sucks, so carry it on down the road and complain to someone who cares.
    Pdinos3, spike12 and Spencerdl like this.
    03-21-12 04:42 PM
    Another ad for playbook : Be hype, use apps on your 27" desktop monitor and browser on your 7" mobile screen.

What a wonderful future for RIM
    03-21-12 04:46 PM
    While Youtube works great in the browser, I'd like the option of having the app work. My main beef with the app is that a) it will randomly stop and choke on video and b) there's no way to sort by most recent for a search - only for all videos uploaded.

The problem with using Youtube in the browser is because of browser behavior. If you have a few tabs open, the browser has a tendancy to refresh pages on a tab when you come back to it. Also the browser stops playing when you switch to a new tab. If you're watching a video and want to google some information in the video, you can't switch tabs while still listening to the video and hop right back once you found what you're looking for. And (sometimes) when you do come back, the page refreshes and the video starts all over.

Having an app would also allow you to truly multitask by having your Youtube app, Facebook app, Twitter app available by swiping across instead of tapping new tabs. Using these three apps in the browser breaks the Playbook's multitasking paradigm. It means that some apps you can swipe through and others you have to stop in the browser and change tabs.

If you are on your Playbook just to catch up on your subscribed videos, then the browser is great. But if you're reading an email with a link to a video, click the link, and then want to check another website, you need to do a swipe-tabclick-tabclick instead of swipe-swipe-swipe.

Don't get me wrong. I love the browser (except for the fact that HBOGo won't play on my Playbook), but to say that everything should run in the browser instead of in individual apps is a bit extreme. It's like podcasts. Even though the Podcast app sucks, at least it allows me to stop and then restart later. I know I can probably find the same podcast in the browser, but I don't want to have to remember exactly how many minutes and seconds I am into the video if I have to stop for anything.
    darktoy and BerryClever like this.
    03-21-12 04:51 PM
    Why would you use the app? The website works great.
    Force of habit for i users....
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-21-12 05:13 PM
    Hide the app in a dark corner and go to youtube.com on your browser. Works nearly flawlessly.
    Melimo likes this.
    03-21-12 05:17 PM
    Unfortunately tech journalists have tried and are continuing to kill off the playbook because of issues like the lack of apps. You don't need them but it's expected.
    03-21-12 05:33 PM
    The app sux. But the website runs just fine, stick with the site and bookmark it...
    03-21-12 05:44 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD