• OS?

38 14.07%
  • User Interface?

13 4.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
05-10-13 09:03 AM
239 12345 ...
tools
    Lack of apps, if the PB had apps it would be a heavy-hitter in the game!
    04-22-13 03:44 PM
    $499 price tag at launch and then continuous price slashing gave the impression that the product sucked
    herculesinwyoming likes this.
    04-22-13 04:42 PM
    This thread has nothing to do with my personal opinion. It is for the members to speak and tell us.

I must say though IMHO I find your comments of "I don't think there is any proof that the PlayBook has not outsold any other individual model of the competitor's tablets with the exception of Apple products. For example, in the Apple/Samsung lawsuit, Samsung had to release actual sales numbers for their Galaxy tab (400k ?) and at the time it was much lower than how many PlayBooks had been sold at that time." don't bear any real relevance to this thread. That's only MHO.
    It has NOTHING to do with personal opinion. It has to do with FLAWED DATA that transform into myths. The "relevance" is that this thread should not exist in the first place.

The Playbook only looks like it didn't sell because (1) other companies don't have to disclose actual numbers [i.e. companies listed in Korea and Taiwan have very lax disclosure standards because they aren't regulated by SEC] and (2) people use Google Analytics data to make estimates on how each tablets are sold [which Google Analytics has famously not counting Playbook as a Blackberry]. Lenovo outright stated that Samsung lied about their tablet numbers.

The Playbook has sold/shipped 2.3 million units so far --- and that number is more than the Motorola Xoom which launched at the same time as the Playbook and Motorola was listed in the US so they actually gave actual numbers.
    04-22-13 05:01 PM
    I love my Playbook, but there were some pretty basic issues that kept it from catching on:
    • Initial launch prices were too steep
    • App offerings were anemic and poorly organized
    • U.S. marketing was non-existent
    • Media store was poorly designed
    • OS was half-baked; updates fixed much of what was wrong, but too late to undo the PR damage
    • Initial release heavily linked to BlackBerry phone ownership (imagine if iPad was marketed as an accessory to a Mac, and PC owners were discouraged from applying)

It makes me sad to say this because I believe the hardware and the updated OS are worlds better and more stable than Android, iOS, or Windows Phone, but it really was a case of an excellent device being buried by a team of marketing and PR clowns.
    04-22-13 05:21 PM
    Shouldn't there be a spot for " all of the above" ?
    04-22-13 06:05 PM
    You know what they say about it being very hard to change a first impression? I think RIM damaged the PlayBook brand by launching it incomplete and pricing it to match the iPad. There is no recovering from that while calling something a PlayBook. The battle was already lost.

Maybe a new tablet with a new name running BB 10 has a chance.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-22-13 06:11 PM

The Playbook has sold/shipped 2.3 million units so far --- and that number is more than the Motorola Xoom which launched at the same time as the Playbook and Motorola was listed in the US so they actually gave actual numbers.
    when you compare sales you need to compare devices with the same price tag. You say that the Playbook($129) sold more than the Motorola Xoom ($355)..well of course it did, it is 2.5 times cheaper with almost the same features.
    The tablet market is one horse race..the other contenders do not matter. 2 or 3 millions sold in 2 years versus the winning horse which sold over 100 million units ($499 and up).
    04-22-13 06:20 PM
    I don't think there is any proof that the PlayBook has not outsold any other individual model of the competitor's tablets with the exception of Apple products. For example, in the Apple/Samsung lawsuit, Samsung had to release actual sales numbers for their Galaxy tab (400k ?) and at the time it was much lower than how many PlayBooks had been sold at that time.

As Thorsten Heins has said, there really isn't a tablet market, with there being one major player; Apple.
    I agree there is no proof, and I live in the US And it's only a small section of the market, but outside my two tablets. I don't know of anybody or seen anyone with a PB.
    04-22-13 07:00 PM
    Simple answer : Because it is not better than other tablets
    04-22-13 07:07 PM
    ...incomplete. If it was made like the Z (ie bb10) then I can still see pushing people to get it.

Feel free to add me 24EFEB55
    Exactly my thoughts, it was a rushed product they pushed out thinking it will do the job but the market killed it with less expensive android devices that has better os options. The PlayBook os killed it, the hardware is fine and good quality, specs are within the high hand level. Os just missed too much. Above a picture of the dude who designed and built the hardware of the PlayBook who gets it after the software engineers have put in the os.
    Your view on why the PlayBook doesn't outsell other tablets?-images-1-.jpg

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-22-13 07:16 PM
    Simple answer : Because it is not better than other tablets
    The question, if you can read between the lines, is in what is it not better than others.... easy answers are lazy answers for some

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-22-13 07:18 PM
    All comments are great so far. I tried to keep the options simple because I am simple but if you think about it they all mean the same thing? There was a mention of price in one post but who would disagree that if BlackBerry as a company had produced the pb that was promised, price would not be a complaint. You get a Ford at Ferrari cost you complain. You get a Ferrari at Ford cost your over the moon?
    let me break the mould a little then. I think Blackberry's marking was pretty horrid regarding the playbook not only do I find the sheer level of marketing was grossly too low compared to apple and also the majority of playbook advertising was buisness oriented (this does not build mindshare). apples marketing for soo many years was get the iphone its magical, amazing ,mystical...ok I mad that last one up but I find it still applies.....apple made memorable adverts that greatly upselled their products and from those comercials it gave a great amount of consumer confidence because apple was assentially saying this is how much we believe In the iphone or ipad....its magical. Now this doent work with the educated consumer but let's face it the adverage consumer is dumb as rocks when it comes electronics
    rossjackson01 likes this.
    04-22-13 07:30 PM
    The hardware is beautiful, the software is pretty good (not nearly as good as it will be with BB10), but few Apps that people want.

Con: The store is full of useless and half cooked apps. Big cleanup required. There are no more playbooks in any big chain retailers .... sad!
    Pro:The Android player is a great Idea. I do not care if an app is native or Android-ported, as long at it plays well. The announced enhancement to Android compatibility is a must... Welcome to Google Maps, Skype, and other apps on the device.
    04-22-13 08:12 PM
    I really can't speak for anyone other than myself. BlackBerry made me the playbook because they know that I have loved every blackberry that I have owned and wanted to treat me to something different. They knew that if it had the BlackBerry logo on it. Then I would buy it. I don't really care how many have sold. I just know that I bought two of them and will buy two Q10's next week and will love them too. Thanks BlackBerry!
    FF22 and sad_old_man like this.
    04-23-13 01:38 AM
    I really can't speak for anyone other than myself. BlackBerry made me the playbook because they know that I have loved every blackberry that I have owned and wanted to treat me to something different. They knew that if it had the BlackBerry logo on it. Then I would buy it. I don't really care how many have sold. I just know that I bought two of them and will buy two Q10's next week and will love them too. Thanks BlackBerry!
    I think that is the kind of behavior that rim counted on. I think that is the kind of behavior that HAD worked for them. Their security, their bes and bis, their bbm, their keyboard - folks and importantly corporations just automatically purchased the devices because they were BB. What caught them unprepared was the Apple onslaught and maybe even the recession. All those "employees" begging to use their own or favorite devices and the cut back in corp budgets - "hey, why not allow folks to use their own devices and save money" coupled with the PB being a tad incomplete and then no new bb phones for a year slipped them further back. I'm not sure that they can overcome the "bring your own device to work day!" momentum.
    04-23-13 09:58 AM
    How about the simple (disastrous) fact that email doesn't work well - poor IMAP support.
    04-23-13 10:06 AM
    I would like to keep my personal opinions on my views about the pb's problems out of a poll that I created but after reading this post I find I cannot let it go without a comment. F2 liked this post and so do i, maybe for the same reason or maybe for different reasons. Here are my reasons.

In essence if we read this members thread is this not truly why we are all here. We all have bb devices! We bought them, we use them, we love them, we hate them but we all have one. BB have a loyal customer base that is second to none. If Apple pulled some of the stunts that bb have pulled on their consumers they would be in a worse position as bb are now. It is only because of people like us and especially rebroker2009 that bb are still afloat as a company. We have done our part, is it not time that bb did their part and started to notice people like rebroker2009 and paid them the respect that they deserve?

Sorry but I had to say it, you know me!
    rossjackson01 likes this.
    04-23-13 10:15 AM
    I have no problem with it, not a gameplayer on the thing and the apps I need and use work fine. a lot of store people didn't really know how to use it so trying to get a proper demonstration of the unit was hard to find. now that I can navigate the playbook with ease I've showed it to my friends and they all wanted one....but of course they disappeared from shelves. I don't think this story is unique to me and people I know, so I have a feeling that if shelves were stocked with the tablet the last 4 months or so, they'd have sold millions. I think management completely under estimated the shift from pc's to tablets and you simply had to be there to be a legit contender. still can't find the playbook in stores, it borders on bizzare!
    04-23-13 10:26 AM
    I feel like my PlayBook is a relic in a modern BB10 world. I still love it however and for the time being I don't see myself switching to another device.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 10:32 AM
    Playbook Failed because it was only a test subject for the 10
    it passed the test and now we have a killer phone
    04-23-13 10:42 AM
    Because, like the Z10, it was outdated and lacked what the majority of consumers wanted. Believe it or not, some of us actually want what we pay for, and not accept halfa** crap that BlackBerry seems to think everyone will buy.
    04-23-13 10:46 AM
    The tablet market is one horse race..the other contenders do not matter. 2 or 3 millions sold in 2 years versus the winning horse which sold over 100 million units ($499 and up).
    Your second paragraph is my point --- because the rest of the discussed "winning" tablets are the kindle fire and the nook which are priced not to make money at all.

So there is no point for this thread. The only tablet that matters is the ipad. The rest are rounding errors --- either (1) not for profit kindle fire or (2) Korean/Taiwanese lying about their sales numbers.
    04-23-13 10:52 AM
    there should be a couple other options in this poll:

-poor (mis)management
    -incomplete os
    -rushed to market
    -p!ss poor marketing

i totally agree w/ the poster that mentioned the marketing issue,,, the same can be said for their current blase', flat-lining Z10,,, it seems they just don't get it,,, a company will generally take on the personality of the guy running the show,,, Thor seems to be a pretty laid back guy & BB's current approach reflects this...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 04-23-13 at 01:04 PM.
    04-23-13 12:10 PM
    Because i came too late my friends
    04-23-13 12:27 PM
    there should be a couple other options in this poll:

-poor (mis)management
    -incomplete os
    -rushed to market
    -p!ss poor marketing

i totally agree w/ the poster that mention the marketing issue,,, the same can be said for their current blase', flat-lining Z10,,, it seems they just don't get it,,, a company will generally take on the personality of the guy running the show,,, Thor seems to be a pretty laid back guy & BB's current approach reflects this...
    There are no problematic issues, period --- if the question is compared to other non-ipad tablets.

It's not like the lack of native email client matters --- because the Playbook outsold the Xoom (which the Xoom has a native email client from day 1).

There is ZERO way to make a profitable non-ipad tablet --- and the only non-ipad tablet that is not a rounding error is the Kindle Fire which is priced not to make money at all.

So you people are essentially arguing for 3 pages on whether the Playbook --- if it had the native email client on day 1, would the Playbook's tablet market share would increase from 0.5% to 0.6%? And the funny thing is that 0.6% is probably the best selling for-profit (non-kindle fire/nook) non-ipad tablet out there.
    04-23-13 12:44 PM
239 12345 ...