• OS?

38 14.07%
  • User Interface?

13 4.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
05-10-13 08:03 AM
239 1234 ...
tools
    I voted like, everyone else it seems, for the first 2 options.

Blackberry never really advertised it, nor what it can do when connected to a OS7 device. It was as if they only wanted present BlackBerry owners to buy it not get people buying a PlayBook then looking at buying a BlackBerry phone. I know when I bought mine I was the only person looking at them tucked away in the corner of the CPW store. Everyone else was looking and seeing what the iPads and various Android tablets could do which had taken centre stage of the store. Also the original bloated price didn't help and even when they reduced the price they still didn't really advertise it. I learnt of all the price decreases through Crackberry not the press or TV adverts.

I'm no expert and not a big App user, but I understand some people are. Why BlackBerry didn't offer to build those Apps that people want, like Skype or Netflix as I've seen mentioned a lot, for the companies is a miss. (Its alright being able to sideload Apps but I would prefer an official App.) You still have an App deficit compared with the others but you have the main ones that buyers want.

After owning mine for over a year the only people I know with PlayBooks are family members. Any of my friends who have tablets, some with BlackBerry mobiles, either have an Android OS one or have bought an iPad as they know very little about the PlayBook. Only one friend discounted it because they hated the swipe gesturing as they were so used to the menu button of IOS. Lately I have to admit my experience with the PlayBook is that I wonder if BlackBerry have totally forgotten about. No OS updates..... nothing. Its FaceBook App has been crap for over a year and not even an update to remedy it.

Someone said about it shows how not to do a launch and they are correct. A multi tasking tablet which I believe was the first to do that. The first to my knowledge 7 inch tablet, which others are migrating to about 2 years later, yet still not everyone is even aware of it. Worryingly now I have a Z10 and because of the bridge omissions my PlayBook has become less useful to me. If there was an award for a company that shoots itself in the foot time and time again it seems BlackBerry would be the undisputed champions.
    Right on. Bring Back Bridge - a new B - BBB!
    04-22-13 11:43 AM
    I think Playbook might not outsell other tablets due to the fact that ........... Playbooks are not manufactured anymore ? ! !
    FF22 likes this.
    04-22-13 11:43 AM
    Can tell you that resale value stinks too: Sold my 64GB PB with case and rapid charger on eBay, and got less than $150 for everything.

Only a couple of days prior, sold my wife's much less-capable iPhone 4s with a Buy-it-Now of $275, and it was snapped up in hours.
    04-22-13 11:52 AM
    Half a$$'d beta OS that has never been given the proper OS since it launched. Years later it's still not released.

Apps don't matter as much, but the OS still has serious issues to this day, slow browser, slow keyboard responses, list goes on and on what plagues it.

I'll believe it get's BB10 when i see it. Frankly at this point i doubt it ever will see the light of day.

The hacking community would have had this tablet running like a well oiled machine ages ago.
    04-22-13 11:57 AM
    Lots of reasons, bad browser, lack of quality, relevant, elegant apps, etc.
    04-22-13 11:57 AM
    I'm not sure the playbook was meant for mass consumption. The very fact that it stumbled out of the launch makes me think the idea behind it seems indecisive. It's a quasi ipad that serves as an experiment for a new platform for future smart phone and an extension for professionals that uses blackberry phones. RIM got caught with their pants down. Not intending to release a consumer tablet during a surge of ipad craze market.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-22-13 11:58 AM
    No, because you cant do much customisation in BBOS either. Back/Home is another form of navigation as are gestures, and Flash on Mobile sucks everyone knows that. Apple has most customers comfortable, and a few fanboys brainwashed. A geek jailbreaks his iOS devices to unlock the hidden potential and a grandmother uses it as is to call her grandkids. Catering to everyone or as many as possible is a good thing. Sell a product that people like, know how to use and like using it, and they will be back. Samsung seems to be doing that these days too, and their philosophy is quite different to Apples. I see many older people using Samsung devices now. My mom, who doesnt even have a smartphone uses a Galaxy Tab. So I think fans and companies needs to get the job on and try to make their product a success instead of blaming another companies success on brainwashing. That is just being lazy.
    Bang on!

There are many reasons for PB's underperformance in the market, as cited in postings above. But what it comes down to is its underperformance in the hand. Yes, you can load some android apps (up to version 2.3 only wtf!!) but most of them don't work or work very poorly. I delete four out of five android apps I download, not because I don't like them but because they just don't work or hardly work at all. For example, I downloaded five photo-editing apps, not all android. I kept none of them. Significantly, I have nowhere near this experience with apps on my android phone.

Performance in the hand also refers to PB's laggy, jerky performance. Fast Browser is a big improvement over Browser and an example of the kind of third-party apps the PB needs but lacks in virtually every other area. Lack of assisted GPS only compounds the dearth of good map apps for the PB.

Then there's the shortage of connectivity. Sharing photos and documents on the PB is like returning to the dark ages after android or apple.

The PB has its strong points. Unfortunately, there are too few of them, especially when other tablets offer the full-meal deal. And I think most potential buyers, when comparing different tablets in-store, quickly pick up on that, and end up buying a different device.
    04-22-13 12:00 PM
    It doesn't sell because it didn't make a market. The case they made for the pricing, the size, the user experience, was not found to be appealing to a wide audience.

What did they add to work, social, play life? Did that market benefit exponentially or incrementally from that addition.
    04-22-13 12:54 PM
    Well the Playbook could have very well sold more then other tablets excluding the iPad and firesale Touchpad.

I've never seen any other tablets besides the iPad, Touchpad, and Playbook out in the wild.
    04-22-13 12:59 PM
    S_O_M

Thank you for the mention. Can't see why apps is included as it is the responsibility of a developer to make an app, nothing to do with the o/s owner who just adds it to the collection. Developers need to more informed, hence PR. But, thought provoking the poll is. Well done!

Regards.

Ross.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-22-13 01:12 PM
    I'm a sales rep at The Source and I can tell you that in my store, (before it was sold out?? WTH??) Playbook outsold all other tablets combined 10 to 1
    04-22-13 01:16 PM
    Like the poll says, it is the apps (or lack thereof). My Playbook is not used much anymore except as a streaming radio. It doesn't even have an official Pandora app. I have to use a third party app (Apollo). I am not sure what I will purchase to replace my Playbook but I know it will not be from Blackberry. It is a terrible shame because I love the OS and the hardware.
    04-22-13 01:17 PM
    My experience with the Playbook, which I find extremely useful, is through trying to get my wife and kids using one, and at one point or another they all had one (they were too cheap to pass up);

My wife works in a school, they had and used iPads, because there were many good educational apps available for it, not so many for the Playbook, she's not techie so only wants to use at home what they use in schools.

My kids, liked the Playbook at first, but as they started to discover that they couldn't chat with their friends with iPods and Pads, or play the same games that they friends were playing, that they wanted to be able to share those experiences, now they have iPods (they had to pay for those themselves too). They still use their Playbooks for videos and some of the other games that they like, but that lack of 'social' tools on the Playbook really pulled them away from it.

I would imagine this is played out in other homes and work environments. On a side note, having the Apple product in the hands of children and teens will serve Apple well into the future, people tend towards the familiar.
    04-22-13 01:18 PM
    Marketing plain and simple. Many People in the U.S still don't know BlackBerry makes a tablet. Many are clueless about BlackBerry10 as well.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    04-22-13 01:20 PM
    S_O_M

Thank you for the mention. Can't see why apps is included as it is the responsibility of a developer to make an app, nothing to do with the o/s owner who just adds it to the collection. Developers need to more informed, hence PR. But, thought provoking the poll is. Well done!

Regards.

Ross.
    No problem you deserve the recognition and on the bright side its better that you get the grief and not I.
    04-22-13 01:21 PM
    apps, Apps, APps, APPs, APPS!

The OS still needs some tweaking to wane bugs/lags and other than that, everything is fine. Especially the interface!
    AUgirl_inTX likes this.
    04-22-13 01:26 PM
    Although my PB satisfies almost all of my needs I do get frustrated that American Airlines and others no longer support
    BB applications. New tablet buyers probably notice that the media only advertises apps for Apple and Andrioid. For many this eliminates BB and the PB as an option.
    Alphax45 and AUgirl_inTX like this.
    04-22-13 01:27 PM
    When it launched: Price was way to high for what you got. Wasn't ready for prime time until OS v2. Apps
    Now: It's just old.

Also, as a PB owner, I have to say that I'm afraid to buy any paid apps until the BB10 update comes. I don't want to spend money on an app now and again in 3 months.
    04-22-13 01:29 PM
    No problem you deserve the recognition and on the bright side its better that you get the grief and not I.
    Gee SOM, don't you ever sleep?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-22-13 01:33 PM
    Gee SOM, don't you ever sleep?
    So much to do, so little time.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    04-22-13 01:41 PM
    Apple's FIRST tablet didn't do well either until they built up the i[fill in the blanks] and sucked isheeps into submissions.
    Remember Newton?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-22-13 01:58 PM
    I selected Apps in the Poll, but I don't think it is really the reason the PlayBook wasn't a resounding success. The PlayBook was launched in an unfinished state: End Of. No Native Email, No Native BBM, No persistent support.
    - Price wouldn't have been an issue if the PB had launched with the equivalent of BBOS2.0/2.1 on board. Much more polished and complete (though not perfect): the way a new product should be.
    - Marketing wasn't there but it wouldn't have mattered in the end. it is difficult to market an item that is being panned by reviewers for lacking basic and essential features. It offered cool features to BB users (bridge) but that was a bandaid for obvious (and still) missing features.
    - The App Problem.. The lack of an ecosystem didn't help matters, but they weren't the key to success. It's like having leather seats and 10 speaker stereo system in a car without wheels and little or no manufacturer support. Why build apps for a tab when the manufacturer isn't doing their part: making the tablet usable. Why didn't RIM make a universal video chat program with a PC version built into BBDM? Why didn't RIM introduce BBM? Why wasn't there a native Email Client? What about a Calendar? What about updates to the Media Functionality: Music, Video, Pictures? RIM dropped the ball. They still haven't picked it up.
    - Hardware was never an issue. It was reasonably high-end and the device was more feature filled than the competition. The OS felt snappy. Front Facing stereo speakers seems to be something companies STILL can't figure out.
    - The OS/GUI is an answer to a question nobody asked. It is a new/different way of doing things and it works very well IF you know how to use it. Give it to someone with no experience with it and they'll look for the power button (amongst others). Once you walk them through it and they get some hands on time, it works. My parents LOVE their PB. They aren't tech people. I set them up with a 64GB PlayBook of their own once OS2.0 was out. First thing I did was download Discover 2.0 which walks them through the gestures and functions of the OS. THAT App should have been pre-installed and introduced as soon as the BBID was set up. It wasn't. The installed tutorial was lacking to say the least. Discover 2.0 is the software that RIM should have put on EVERY demo device. Period. Ball: Dropped.

With all that said, I purchased my 64GB PlayBook at full retail price shortly after launch. I did so knowing of its limitations. I purchased it as a companion device for my 9930 (Bridge is AMAZING while traveling). It has served me well and I have no regrets. I love my device and I see its potential, but truth be told, any support/upgrades/features will be welcomed by owners but will ultimately be too little, too late. When I finally replace my 9930 (HTC One, Lumia 928, Z/Q10, etc.), I will no longer be using my PlayBook as a companion device and will likely replace it.

~Ex
    bitek, FF22 and cmdr_dan like this.
    04-22-13 02:03 PM
    Apple's FIRST tablet didn't do well either until they built up the i[fill in the blanks] and sucked isheeps into submissions.
    Remember Newton?
    Personal friend of mine but I never liked him!
    04-22-13 02:05 PM
    Well, I can say my experience. Due to my job I travel a lot, mostly Latin America. Once I was speaking with a high executive in Venezuela for Movistar, which is the brand for Telefonica in that part of the world. She didn't know at all about blackberry having a tablet. I was using my playbook and she was impressed about the gestures etc. This is particularly important because in Venezuela, blackberry is a very strong brand. To me it is amazing that blackberry don't have an stronger marketing (ads and campaings) for some products (the same you can say with the launch of Z10 in Usa). Not sure who to blame here but still, I would say blackberry has room to improve in the marketing area (by the way, in a side note, I am at Chile at this moment and I have seen 3 different tv spots about Z10, the one that you can see in Usa (keep moving) and 2 from 2 different carriers - Claro and Movistar). This along with the lack of some app (not important to me, but important to many) brings as result that even when you have a nice product some people don't know/have the wrong impression because don't have good marketing showing the good things about it
    04-22-13 02:33 PM
    In the uk it has probably outsold many of the cheaper android tabs recently, or up untilxmas, but only from firesale pricing making it the best hardware for the little money (and bb still having a reputation to most people).

if you mean, why not the market leaders, it is likely because it is not very good comparatively; the lack of big name apps and support is a large part of it, and things like sideloading are for the computer literate willing to invest time and effort for what is often an underwhelming result. In terms of difficulty, sideloading apps is roughly as involved as rooting an android phone; not hard, but requires a bunch of reading, thinking and setting up. That's more than most people will bother with.

If you mean, why it didn't (past tense/overall), then I'd say it was released not smiply unfinished, as one could argue that most tech appears, but in an alpha/ beta form, crippled and lacking basic functionality, apps and so forth. Media bias is one thing, but most reviews I read when it was released followed a structure of "we were really excited, and it has the hardware, but the reality is worse than disappointing".

I do like it, but more as a media player and general net surfer than anything else. Unfortunately, the stock browser is way too temperamental to be reliable, and when it crashes the chances are a restart is necessary as so many of the "apps" are simply web links. A simple fact is neither my nexus 7 or work ipad3 have crashed anything like as often or completely as my pb, and the pb does not outperform either of them in any meaningful way. I know it can hdmi out, run a ppt. presentation, has a 5mp camera, but I've never yet had much of a use for any of these. Not having a bb phone makes bridge superfluous, and a mobile hotspot from my phone works on all 3 tabs, so the pb has no real advantage there. Before anyone responds with true multi-tasking, which it does do and quite well, I contend that it is not that useful or much of an improvement on android; only having multi-apps on screen simultaneously (eg windows) would make this truly useful. Ask yourself, who wants their film to keep playing unseen while they reply to a post on crackberry? I suppose overall, this is the point, it does very little well enough and easily enough for most people other than niche elements. But, hey, your mileage may vary.
    04-22-13 02:34 PM
239 1234 ...