219 81.11%
  • Hardware?

18 6.67%
  • OS?

38 14.07%
  • User Interface?

13 4.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Despite the history of half baked release and lack of anything useful PB could do back then, the current PB is equal or better than many tablets out there. But how could it outsell other tablets when BB has taken them off the market? So I voted #1.
    04-25-13 06:37 PM
    BB is still trying to play catch up to the ever changing market place, HP is releasing a 7" tablet for $169.00. aAthough the PB is top notch hardware, people don't care that much. The device makers are running the show, they don't have to deal with the OS, just load Android and go. People also don't like limitations, their friends have an Android and can do many custom Apps like FireFox.
    04-25-13 06:54 PM
    Sooooo...is the general thought that the Blackberry Playbook is as good as the iPad 3 but just not as publicized? Sorry for the seemingly silly question, but I will probably need a tablet so doing my research
    04-26-13 12:47 AM
    Until BB10 is released for Playbook (not just a question of when but also if), then I would stay away from it. The Playbook is cheap with good hardware but the lack of apps and OS support is painful.

Sticking with 7" tablets, you're better off paying a bit more for a Nexus 7 or iPad Mini and enjoying a tablet with a few years' worth of OS and app updates. The Playbook is a dead end, sorry.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-26-13 05:00 AM
    Until BB10 is released for Playbook (not just a question of when but also if), then I would stay away from it. The Playbook is cheap with good hardware but the lack of apps and OS support is painful.

Sticking with 7" tablets, you're better off paying a bit more for a Nexus 7 or iPad Mini and enjoying a tablet with a few years' worth of OS and app updates. The Playbook is a dead end, sorry.
    Ouch!!!! You naughty little devil you. I can almost hear the crackbarians sharpening their knives after that comment!
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    04-26-13 06:20 AM

Totally agree. BBRY have shafted us playbook owners. I would prefer to pelt it in the fire now than give it away. Two years of lies, everything was coming while they prepped the Z10 for launch. Ppl want a good priced tablet with APP and OS support not to feel shafted after purchase.
    04-26-13 06:59 AM

Thanks for the info! Would hate to get one only to find out its a waste
    04-26-13 10:23 AM
    The PlayBook is a good tablet it just lacks. It's like BlackBerry is in a dark room and can't find the door to get out. Maybe one day they will see the light, because BlackBerry builds great produces. I would still purchase the PlayBook.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-26-13 11:01 AM
    Thanks for the info! Would hate to get one only to find out its a waste
    You really need to do research and figure out what you want to do with a tablet. There is no perfect tablet. Don't resign yourself to only have one or that the one you bought is a "mistake". For multimedia (music and video) and web browsing, you really can't beat the PB. For apps (games and specialty netflix/skype), android or iOS is the better choice. You will drive yourself crazy if you think you can find everything in one package. I have four and will choose based on what I want to do with it.
    dphjeff likes this.
    04-26-13 11:41 AM
    OK.. Here we go.. I have had a Blackberry Playbook (32 gig) since it first came out. Loved it, even though there were things I wanted to see available for it. They finally came out with an email app a few OS upgrades ago which was great! But, I just recently changed over to an iPad Mini (32 gig) and I have to say, even though there are things that I miss about the Playbook, I'm really loving the iPad Mini. The things I miss about the Playbook is the swiping gestures and the true multi-tasking. What I don't miss that is available on the iPad Mini is now I have Netflix and Nook that were not available on the Playbook. And Kindle was available for the Playbook but only through sideloading. Netflix was only available through an app that worked in conjunction wirelessly with your PC. What good is that when you are on the road and want to watch a movie. I also like the full internet experience the Playbook offered including with Flash capabilities. Although with a paid browser app for the iPad and iPhone called Photon you get the full internet experience including Flash. But, I will admit, it is a bit getting used to in the way that it works but, it does work. The battery life is about the same on both, in my experience. Most of the same games the I played on the Playbook are available on the iPad Mini, although there are a couple of games that worked through the Android interface on the Playbook that are not available on the iPad that I know I will miss. But, If I really want to play them, I can on my PC through Google Play. The unfortunate thing is that the Games I really wanted that I paid for on the Playbook, I had to buy again on the iPad Mini. And another thing I found out (I have an iPhone 5) was that the apps and games that I had on my iPhone would work on the iPad Mini and were free to use on the Mini, but some of them would be in small screens that you could enlarge to full screen but the graphics would be degraded. So if I wanted the iPad version of the same app I already bought on the iPhone, I had to pay for it again. That kind of sucked and Bestbuy misled me on that one. The iPad Mini graphics are really nice and the screen is bigger than the Playbook even though the overall physical size is pretty close to the same. The Playbook sound and speakers is far superior than the iPad Mini, but the iPad isn't bad and works good enough for my needs.

My overall experience with the Playbook has been great and I'd recommend it to anybody depending upon their needs, but my main reason for switching to the iPad Mini is that I wanted the Nook, Netflix and Kindle apps all on one device and Playbook didn't offer that and looked like it wasn't going to offer that anytime soon.

I did get a good selling price on eBay for the Playbook which included a Bluetooth Keyboard case. So it helped offset my cost of the iPad Mini!
    04-26-13 12:24 PM
    1- No marketing
    2- Hardly to be found anywhere
    3- lag, lag, lag Browser lag, keyboard lag
    4- First gen, unpolished product
    5- BB pretends it doesnt exists - minimal updates, marketing, no new major app release.
    04-26-13 01:13 PM
    Here in the UK the marketing was awful. There were a bunch of TV ads that just gushed about the tablet being able to play Flash content (complete with Flash Gordon soundtrack). Nothing else to describe the virtues at all.
    04-26-13 01:17 PM
    The PlayBook is a good tablet it just lacks. It's like BlackBerry is in a dark room and can't find the door to get out. Maybe one day they will see the light, because BlackBerry builds great produces. I would still purchase the PlayBook.
    Anybody that goes on holiday to cincinnati would do?
    04-26-13 01:24 PM
    1- No marketing
    2- Hardly to be found anywhere
    3- lag, lag, lag Browser lag, keyboard lag
    4- First gen, unpolished product
    5- BB pretends it doesnt exists - minimal updates, marketing, no new major app release.
    Remember for the last two years they said, they were committed to the playbook? Lies lies and more lies.

Ppl the PB was decent in 2011, not 12 or and sure not 13.
    mmarco, blueberrymerry and tsells like this.
    04-26-13 05:47 PM
    Remember for the last two years they said, they were committed to the playbook? Lies lies and more lies.

Ppl the PB was decent in 2011, not 12 or and sure not 13.
    actually aside from app support they playbook in the 7ish inch form factor is still very competitive actually given tbat the playbook still has better hardware specs than the ipad mini that came out this year lol.
    04-26-13 07:06 PM
    Graphic and percentage are messed up. Lack of standard apps Netflix Skype chrome and the rest
    04-26-13 07:29 PM
    1. advertising wasn't as good as I hoped.
    2. Predefined view on BlackBerry.
    3. Relatively small app market.
    4. Performance isn't as good as it should be imo.
    5. Support pretty much stopped. (Where is BB10?)
    6. BB10 is more exciting.
    7. People think it failed because the price drops.

Kbye

Posted Via Dec Alpha C
    04-26-13 07:40 PM
    S_O_M I only spent two days in Cincinnati and have been in Alabama for the past five days. I don't believe that two day makes a holiday.
    But I don't understand why BlackBerry would design a new OS and then contaminate it with Android apps. It's like they don't know what the h3ll is going on. It's like a dog chasing its tail and then drinking out of the toilet to get the taste out of his mouth.
    04-26-13 09:17 PM
    S_O_M I only spent two days in Cincinnati and have been in Alabama for the past five days. I don't believe that two day makes a holiday.
    But I don't understand why BlackBerry would design a new OS and then contaminate it with Android apps. It's like they don't know what the h3ll is going on. It's like a dog chasing its tail and then drinking out of the toilet to get the taste out of his mouth.
    Dog drinks out of toilet because it's the only water he can get at since he can't get the faucet turned on. Maybe same reason for Blackberry and Android apps.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-26-13 09:29 PM
    I understand why they did it. The Adroid apps on BlackBerry devices are a joke they crash all the time, they force close, they add pictures to your document, some time you have to back completely out of an app because of not having the some convenience keys. Besides I purchase a PlayBook not a Adroid table. If I want an Adroid table I would have purchased one and wouldn't have to put up with all the BS that we have to put up with.. The BlackBerry products are second to non. But if they stay on the path that they are on people are going to question why they are putting up with the BS and move on. I personally don't want to see that happen.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-26-13 09:58 PM
    I understand why they did it. The Adroid apps on BlackBerry devices are a joke they crash all the time, they force close, they add pictures to your document, some time you have to back completely out of an app because of not having the some convenience keys. Besides I purchase a PlayBook not a Adroid table. If I want an Adroid table I would have purchased one and wouldn't have to put up with all the BS that we have to put up with.. The BlackBerry products are second to non. But if they stay on the path that they are on people are going to question why they are putting up with the BS and move on. I personally don't want to see that happen.
    Please don't take this personally dphjeff but I must agree with you 100% on this point. Why waste time trying to make an OS run two different types of software. We end up with what we've got, a tablet that does neither well. As we all know ported apps are never as good as they are on their original platform whatever that platform is. They must lose a certain amount of functionality and stability when ported because they were never designed or intended to run on an alien platform. What we should do is develop a suite of apps specifically designed for the pb that are best sellers in the market, then if Droid users want them they have three choices?

1. Port the apps across to Droid?
    2. Buy a blackberry?
    3. Shut up and suffer without it?

Simple eh? Just like me.
    dphjeff likes this.
    04-27-13 06:08 AM
    Those Android apps end up becoming Trojan horses for Google If most of the main apps for PB/BB10 are repackaged Android ones, why not get a proper Android tablet instead of using a half-baked Gingerbread version on the PB?

There are plenty of limitations and bugs in the current Android runtime. Going by Blackberry's schedule, an upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich is "coming soon". I might as well get a Nexus 7 then.
    dphjeff and sad_old_man like this.
    04-27-13 06:55 AM
    Those Android apps end up becoming Trojan horses for Google If most of the main apps for PB/BB10 are repackaged Android ones, why not get a proper Android tablet instead of using a half-baked Gingerbread version on the PB?

There are plenty of limitations and bugs in the current Android runtime. Going by Blackberry's schedule, an upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich is "coming soon". I might as well get a Nexus 7 then.
    There you go again? Try to keep the little devil inside you under control please. This is a respectable technically qualified resource forum for the pb, so there is no need to resort to the mention of obscene personal eating habits. If you wish to eat ice cream sandwiches then that's okay as long as you do it in private. What you could do is to break down the technical requirements involved in making the sandwich and then describe those, therefore staying within the bounds of this forum which is purely technical. Other than that you could talk about pasties, or brandy? Both are acceptable.
    kbz1960 and blueberrymerry like this.
    04-27-13 07:27 AM
    The thing is that the PlayBook is a great little tablet and could be better. Better isn't going Android. Look how many different company names are using the Adroid platform. BlackBerry will be lost in the misted of these devices. I believe that is the easy way (chicken sh#t) out. I personally have until November until my contract is up with my phone carrier, I will wait until then to see if I need to change my devices.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-27-13 07:32 AM
    The thing is that the PlayBook is a great little tablet and could be better. Better isn't going Android. Look how many different company names are using the Adroid platform. BlackBerry will be lost in the misted of these devices. I believe that is the easy way (chicken sh#t) out. I personally have until November until my contract is up with my phone carrier, I will wait until then to see if I need to change my devices.
    Exactly, you want Droid apps buy a DROID device?. You want a pasty buy a pasty? Why complicate life?
    dphjeff likes this.
    04-27-13 07:42 AM
239 ... 678910